Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 107987 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Learning Computer (WIP)
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2011, 01:58:38 pm »

I'm sure a proper dwarf fortress A.I. would be even more terrifying. It probably would'nt kill you right away, just flood rooms at random with magma while cracking height jokes and calculating the answer to the ultimate question, how many elves can one kill with bolts made from the bones of a single elf.
The answer is 42.....
Hey, an idea:
Catch many rats, put them in the computer pressure plates when it is finished, and let them calculate more answers this way
Rats are vermin thus they don't trigger plates.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 02:12:13 pm »

If you can manage this, it'll be the best thing since sliced roasts. As a hobbyist AI programmer, I give you kudos for even taking on such a challenge. I'm looking forwards to seeing how this turns out. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 06:32:37 pm »

Honestly, I cannot even begin to imagine how this could possibly work, I can only assume you are some kind of wizard.

You definately need some kind of emergency intelligence incinerator just in case it starts asking questions about the world outside Dwarf Fortress and plotting the downfall of man.  seriously everyone here seems concerned about it KILLING all of us, nonono that would be a mercy,  it will of course enslave us and play Human Fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:44:48 pm by DisgruntledPeasant »

nitehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 06:57:07 pm »

I can't see this happening. Programming a chatterbot is a difficult task even when you're using a high-level programming language. What you are planning to do is build your own computer, then create a programming language for it, then try to program it, then create an extremely advanced program for it. Either it will be very basic and have hardcoded responses for a few inputs, or it will simply not happen. I don't believe it is even possible within the limited world of 3x3 embark site.

You would have a better chance of succeeding if you tried carving your own computer out of a 1m x 1m x 1m unprocessed silicon cube.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 07:14:15 pm »

I can't see this happening. Programming a chatterbot is a difficult task even when you're using a high-level programming language. What you are planning to do is build your own computer, then create a programming language for it, then try to program it, then create an extremely advanced program for it. Either it will be very basic and have hardcoded responses for a few inputs, or it will simply not happen. I don't believe it is even possible within the limited world of 3x3 embark site.

You would have a better chance of succeeding if you tried carving your own computer out of a 1m x 1m x 1m unprocessed silicon cube.

That sounds like elf talk to me!

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »

I suspect you're probably right about it being difficult-nigh-impossible to do in a 3x3, but I think the silicon cube comment is a bit too doubting Thomas. Then again, I've never gotten into dwarfputing and probably never will, so grain of salt and all that.

I suspect it might involve storing a series of inputs and looking for similar patterns, like DAISY does, but I'm not sure how one would go about doing that in DF. I can kind of see having multiple levels of displays to keep track of past inputs, but I don't know about the patternfinding aspect.

At any rate, I wish you luck!

And of course, the next step if it does succeed is to build a real-world version. Because a semi-intelligent tower of stone that one communicates with through levers and trapdoors is kind of brilliant.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 07:19:29 pm »

I suspect you're probably right about it being difficult-nigh-impossible to do in a 3x3, but I think the silicon cube comment is a bit too doubting Thomas. Then again, I've never gotten into dwarfputing and probably never will, so grain of salt and all that.

I suspect it might involve storing a series of inputs and looking for similar patterns, like DAISY does, but I'm not sure how one would go about doing that in DF. I can kind of see having multiple levels of displays to keep track of past inputs, but I don't know about the patternfinding aspect.

At any rate, I wish you luck!

And of course, the next step if it does succeed is to build a real-world version. Because a semi-intelligent tower of stone that one communicates with through levers and trapdoors is kind of brilliant.

DAISY, DAISY, give me your answer do...
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:55 pm »

Put crundles and troglodytes in cages around your fort. If the AI gets pissed off at you, it can release them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »

I... just thought of something.
What if it gains Intelligence, and then
turns into a GlaDoS? We'll become test subjects o-o

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 08:03:04 pm »

... it will of course enslave us and play Human Fortress.

I just wanna be clear about this....  Once the Human Fortress game starts, I have to wear one set of clothes until they fall off, then be naked, right?  Just wanna make sure I'm doing it right....

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 08:31:41 pm »

Of course it would be impossible to make something like cleverbot in a 3x3 embark - that's absolutely ridiculous. I seriously doubt BloodBeard is aiming anywhere near that lofty of a goal. Still, it should be possible to make something interpret simple commands. Really, I just want to see what he comes up with.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 08:48:39 pm »

Keep in mind regarding the 3x3 embark size thing is that this is isn't going to be the end product. With this fortress i'm more or less getting the design down, looking to get very basic two-way communication going and then experimenting on how to increase its complexity and number of abilities before regenning a world that meets my needs. Also keep in mind that the height of the sky is adjustable, so there can be lots of vertical space if I need it without hurting FPS much. Also (nitehawk), dwarfputing is actually a lot simpler then what you're describing. You don't need to make a fully programable computer or language in the technical sense to do what i'm trying to do. You can create a basic OR, AND or XOR with a power source and a few gears.

That might be a rough description of what i'm wanting to do. The way input is designed for this unintentially, automatically translates what you're typing into a (very long) binary sequence. Binary is very DF friendly and programing a word search or pattern recognition functions is just a matter of space available. A memory bank like what i've posted can store past inputs, extra displays wouldn't be feasible (or possible, I don't think. The display is just a bunch of hatches.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:50:30 pm by BloodBeard »

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 09:21:48 pm »

The attempt SHOULD be made, it will not work (as an AI), BUT you will learn a lot about DF and computing in the attempt. I'm a computer expert with 35 years in the industry. you may need to move over to quantum computing (each cell can produce 8 states not two)and really invent something quite novel in order to have a chance.

A processor only needs to be able to subtract and compare two values, and take one of two program paths depending on the result of the compare. Today's processors just do that really really quickly. The first proccessor I saw was 100 KHz speed on 4 bit data, and today we have a processor with 12 subprocessors at 64 bit data at 3 GHz speed for a speed improvement of several million times faster. Of course the transistor counts have expanded from 10,000 transistors to 120 million transistors. A dwarfputer may need to be simple in that you do not have the ability to create the millions of cells for a more complacated processing design, nore do you have the raw horsepower on the host computer to calculate millions of cells in a time scale compatible with a human lifetime... perhaps a distrubited processing model, run your dwarfputer on a million forts hosted on a million computers..  Thus skynet is born!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 10:38:56 pm »

So basically i'm crazy, fucked, and chasing a dream that will never come true.

Well, back to the fort  :D. I shall be awaiting all your internets if I can come up with something that even resembles artificial intelligence.

But you are right in that I should probably try and invent something new that scales things down a bit. Taking advantage of water levels and pressure plates having a variety of states could solve a lot of problems, it's just that evaporation makes it incredibly unreliable. I'll probably do some experimenting with it eventually.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 10:48:39 pm »

You have my full support in this amazing and unspeakably large endeavor.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31