Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Game size... what the hell is going on here? MW3 vs. Skyrim  (Read 7647 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game size... what the hell is going on here? MW3 vs. Skyrim
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 06:49:56 am »

I think RAGE would be a more appropriate example of large size for little content. It's like 3 DVDs for a campaign not much longer than the average modern FPS campaign, or so I've heard. Not to mention Carmack supposedly claimed that this is the compressed size.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 09:12:47 am »

Also, Bethesda always uses every model they make as many times as they can while getting away with, as you'll notice if you open up any of the games' respective construction sets.

This.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:24 am »

I think that the largest game i've ever installed was Age of Conan. The game box says it needs 32Gb, but i think it was around 50+ Gb once fully installed and updated.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »

Also, Bethesda always uses every model they make as many times as they can while getting away with, as you'll notice if you open up any of the games' respective construction sets.

This.

It's more of a time-saving feature. Fewer models to make, and an editor designed to make such reuse simple. With such vast worlds, it would be just about mandatory.

I pulled up the morrwind editor (hadn't touched it in years, probably at least 5), and threw this together literally in minutes, and that includes the time to rediscover the controls. From what I have heard, very little in the editor changed for Oblivion, and I doubt much changed in Skyrim, either.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh?
Eh!

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »

And for Bethesda most magic weapons are "Here's a shiny sword, it's magical!"
I think it would be much nicer to have a different look for magic weapons.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 01:45:08 am »

In Skyrim, there always seems to be that same bald guy in every city..  you've seen him..  he's the advisor to the Jarl in one city,  working in a tavern the next,  then I saw him at the Bards University..

I actually thought it was pretty funny when I noticed it.

...though I am rather impressed at the diversity in the voice actors this time around.
It actually feels like i'm talking to several different people,  instead of the same 5 every time back in Oblivion.

Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 01:48:17 am »

In Skyrim, there always seems to be that same bald guy in every city..  you've seen him..  he's the advisor to the Jarl in one city,  working in a tavern the next,  then I saw him at the Bards University..

I actually thought it was pretty funny when I noticed it.

...though I am rather impressed at the diversity in the voice actors this time around.
It actually feels like i'm talking to several different people,  instead of the same 5 every time back in Oblivion.

All Imperials look the same to me.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »

A level in MW3 probably took a month to make. One in Skyrim probably took a few hours. Skyrim reuses all of the content over and over while MW3's content is all single-use custom made for one level.

errrr LOL ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dsOn06w1s

activision probably spent no more than a month making the whole game, basically a map pack for MW2, and a fraction of the budget
Pages: 1 2 [3]