Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An update on things I'm doing, please give input :)  (Read 833 times)

highnesslordsir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
An update on things I'm doing, please give input :)
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:01:23 am »

Awhile ago I asked for assistance on where to start, and after trying to do that off and on on my off hours I realized something - I need help. Fortunately I found it with a guy who has been doing some programming for many years now and is working on some projects of his own so now that things may be moving a little along I thought I would post back here and actually give some idea of what I was looking for. I'm focused on playability so it will be really simplified and expanded on later, just to get something out tangible people can goof around with.

Premise - You inherit a small curiosity shop from your grandfather, but are unable to win over the old clients and you are slipping into debt. In desperation you start messing with items that have been passed down through your family. Small tags such as 'never ever use this' and 'seriously do not open this box' with small a small instruction manual on what 'you are absolutely not supposed to do even if you are desperate' were most likely legal disclaimers and didn't really apply. You after all are desperate. After using the item (changes what it is depending on character creation) you are possed by a non-god. Non-god's are beings with the potential to become God's and earning a place at the table with the big boy's and a bad ass retirement plan. Once one makes it there they have it made, followers or no. So when a place opens up the non-gods will use every trick up their sleeve to start gaining power. Getting followers, building cults, and owning souls and eventually warring with the others until there is no competition.

Gameplay - This game is mostly all about resource management. You have a shop to run you can make some money in the realworld, and its where you need to interact with the living in order to a) gather followers or b) kidnap/kill people in order to gather souls. How to balance this out in the afterlife (souls taken unwillingly will need loyal/fanatics to keep them in line and not have an uprising that takes you out on the God's plane) will hopefully be a challenge but fun. Gathering, invading another god's plane, crafting, is the big concern as well as you still need money and equipment in the real world.
- To make people hesitate before they go on massive murder sprees, There will be police attention for the more mundane type crime, and if you decide to show your true form you can start earning the attention of possible Crusaders, Exorcists and maybe even the full attention of real god.

Type - Mostly action. I don't want to introduce RPG style to it (even though I love RPGs) because you can abuse it. Gain a few levels, dump a million points into sneak and crouch down and become invisible. I don't like that. Most of your stats in the living realm are going to be based off of your equipment. This makes crafting very important, and still gives the desired endgame result of you and your followers being bad-asses. There will also be ways to advance a person's type.. If you use someone for certain tasks a lot you can invest souls in that person and mutate them.. such as turning someone into a Lycan, or a goblin. Giving someone cybernetic enhancements would also cost souls.

What to expect - The bare basics. The store and the empty God plane will be the very first thing worked on. Not going to say much past that, Will keep things posted as progress is made.

What I'm looking for here is interest. This is obviously a long term project and the good news is I will be working on this as much as I can. But that can still take awhile and am hoping to get some feedback. I'm sure that some of you already see the potential for ultra-violence and may see that as a turn-off, but you don't need to play like that at all. I'm basically giving the choice as to what kind of evil you want to be. You can very well be a pure business machine, gaining the upper hand by owning the pie everyone wants a slice of. You can also be a upcoming god of slaughter. Or a god of necessary Evil, existing purely to be the danger that drives people to be better. What motivates you is up to you, but you do need to be evil.. The Big Bad just retired, and that's the position that's open.

It will be a bit before this game is worked on in seriousness - In order to pay for the programmers services (I'm kinda poor) I'm working on his game first.  Information on his will be given most likely in another post by me soon, with a link to his blog with information on it.  He seems quite happy to have me in on it - It's a 2-D sidescroller where you are a tentacle beast.  Sorry, No schoolgirls, pure monster fighting monsters and robots here.