Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: I'm having trouble on the last boss.  (Read 22493 times)

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
I'm having trouble on the last boss.
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:40 pm »

I'm stuck on the final stage*, where the assembled hordes of the toad king are assaulting the rift and your dwarves and their undead allies must defend against the near-endless barrage, I can hold fast up till about wave 87 but when ThreeToe turns up the shit just hits the fan, every single dwarf enters a fey mood simultaneously (likely due to his incredible psychic powers) and demands dwarf bones to make their artefacts out of and eventually just start tearing each other to pieces for the resources!
I ONCE managed to survive that by stockpiling dwarven bones beforehand (theyre a bitch to get hold of since dwarves refuse to butcher their own kind),  but since even your military dwarves are caught up in the chaos, you have very little to hold back the enemy assault!
Has anyone managed to get past this part?

*the actual final stage, not that fakeout bit before you discover the rift and the dwarven pantheon tries to smite down your fortress for its decedant ways,  that really leads you up to thinking its the end, then BAM: pan-dimentional dwarves turn up and it just gets even more crazy from there on out.

I've searched the forums and it seems like everyone is stuck on the first part of the game, not seen a single person who has broken the curse of ASCII yet,  where the dwarves realise their entire lives have existed within a 2D realm composed of ASCII and the game turns fully 3D,  I mean, I understand the people who stay in the first part because their computers cant handle the late-game graphics,  but I am very surprised that most people still think this is an open-ended game.

Oh, and a tip of my own to give you.  When you discover the rift itself and bring in dwarven allies from all your previously generated worlds, do NOT open up portals to any world with custom races, or worlds where you played as humans, elves or goblins through raw editing, they will not get along with your dwarves and you will just end up with a massive loyalty cascade on your hands.
I learned this the hard way : (
just in case someone gets pissy at me, no im not trolling, just having fun

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having trouble on the last boss.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:15 pm »

Oh, and a tip of my own to give you.  When you discover the rift itself and bring in dwarven allies from all your previously generated worlds, do NOT open up portals to any world with custom races, or worlds where you played as humans, elves or goblins through raw editing, they will not get along with your dwarves and you will just end up with a massive loyalty cascade on your hands.

I wish this was a game feature. That would be INSANE. Parallel universe Dwarves to the rescue!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »

I have just one pro-tip to give, to those who have got to that stage of the game.

Cinnabar.

Not just a coloured rock. *nodnod*

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 04:27:23 pm »

I actually thought it was a glitch when I played on that unmmoded world and suddenly critters from my personal mod started to help me with a siege, and then by painting the fort walls with dwarven red paint, some yellow too, I saw that at 1 fps though, never got the fort that far, I suggest you to spam controller mode until your dwarves get mayor eye rot. believe me, its a good distraction, or a really ineffective one, I was at 1 fps so I couldn't notice
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:29:57 pm »

THIS HAS MADE ME CONFRUSED.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »

This is a common forum meme, you pretend that the game has bosses and stuff that normally wouldn't be in the game and other stuff like that. Everyone goes along with it and pretends the features everyone is talking about is actually in the game.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:33:26 pm »

And this is why I hate memes.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »

This is a common forum meme, dwarf fortress has bosses and stuff that normally wouldn't be in the game and other stuff like that. Everyone dies by it and pretends the features everyone is being ignorant about is not actually in the game.
Capslocks is my /sarcasm/  8)

Oh and yeah, I always get stuck on the part where the crundles show up.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 04:35:37 pm »

Them and their stripy shirts, pretending to walk into the wind at the end of a rope within a glass box...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 04:36:44 pm »

Them and their stripy shirts, pretending to walk into the wind at the end of a rope within a glass box...

DON'T BURN THE ROPE.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »

I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 03:47:23 pm »

DON'T BURN THE ROPE.
You mean this incredibly hard puzzle boss?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

You have to build a zeppelin, load all of your nobles into it, and then drop magma bombs on ThreeToe. Duh.

This gets most people because they think the nobles are useless and should all die, when in fact the nobles are the most useful dwarves and are the only ones who survive.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:06:03 pm »

What? I didn't even have to destroy ThreeToe to gain access to the magma halls. You know those useless scraps of ancient literature you could sometimes get off of random drops? If you get 50 of them you can piece together a collection of ThreeToe's stories, and if you give it to him he lets you pass without fighting.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:22:14 pm »

Hey guys, did you know you could sequence break into the final boss by tossing a ton of rocks, enhancing your throwing abilities, then throwing a bronze pick straight down?

I did that once, but boy is the boss so damn hard. It killed me in one hit!
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6