Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.  (Read 10873 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 03:27:11 pm »

Anyone care to crunch the numbers on snow bear physics?
Awesome.

While it makes me sad to see such obvious lack of quality control...

Awesome.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 04:06:55 pm »

That's a quality control issue? It'd be a quality control issue if the bear got stuck in the terrain. They loose some points for the body not remaining articulate in its paralysis, but it's still pretty delicious physics at play.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 04:21:39 pm »

Hilarious, maybe. There's nothing related to physics in a frozen bear tumbling downhill and somehow managing to achieve limited helicopter-style flight :P

The QC issue is where the bear starts spazzing out and flying. When that's the conclusion of your physics code, someone messed up a lil', heh.

Best laugh I've had in a while, though. Anyone know if that can happen to the player?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:28 pm »

Hilarious, maybe. There's nothing related to physics in a frozen bear tumbling downhill and somehow managing to achieve limited helicopter-style flight :P

The QC issue is where the bear starts spazzing out and flying. When that's the conclusion of your physics code, someone messed up a lil', heh.

Best laugh I've had in a while, though. Anyone know if that can happen to the player?

Well some drauger deathlords can do a full powered shout that rogdolls you.... so probably.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

I forget the second half of it is the bear buggin' out. Up until then it was pretty amazing, because that's what I imagine a corpse rolling down a 70 degree slope would look like.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 04:53:39 pm »

Honestly a physics system seems like the kind of thing with so many moving parts it'd be impossible to isolate every event like this and deal with it.  The giants launching you into space thing should be fixed, and probably will.  The frozen bear flipping the fuck out thing probably won't and I don't have a huge problem with that.  It's a quirk of a complicated system.
Shoes...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 09:30:30 pm »

Honestly a physics system seems like the kind of thing with so many moving parts it'd be impossible to isolate every event like this and deal with it.... It's a quirk of a complicated system.
Eh, that's why you don't try to program for specific events - instead you program for general situations.

Apparently the issue has to do with improper rebound when objects collide - that would explain both the objects launching into space when pummeled by giants or odd spinning when falling; both are results of extremely high velocities, probably due to forgetting to put a simple limit on max overlap of an object with the ground (that is, if the engine computes an overlap that is very large, it gets a large force; if you don't put an "if overlap is > X, then limit it to X" then you get silly behavior.

I would wager that the mad spinning of the objects falling is because they have extremely high angular velocities so that they don't appear to spin smoothly - instead you get them at apparently discontinuous angles because they've gone, say, 200 degrees in one frame.

And yes, I have too much experience with this kind of thing.

But, as I said earlier, it is still pretty awesome - and it could be they left it in just because it's hilarious.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »

... would it have broken immersion too much to trigger a laughtrack whenever the spin got too high?

I could totally see the bear (and there's at least one other video that does it with a frost troll or somethin') going 'wheeeee'. Or turning into some kind of ice encased slurry from the forces it's being exposed to. *ice melts, bearpuddle oozes out, gains sentience, attacks player* Ursine slime. Urslime.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:27 am »

Well some drauger deathlords can do a full powered shout that rogdolls you.... so probably.

I had the bad luck to have deathlords (and a boss) chain up there shouts so I was ragdolled for like a full minute, always getting pushed over again just before I got up, but thankfully they also missed every shot with there bow on my spazing out body and my companion eventually tanked for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]