Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #17: Feedback  (Read 49798 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #17: Feedback
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:17:28 pm »

The seventeenth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  We were on a fairly tight schedule when we recorded this back in August, and this lead to a fairly clean run-through, and thus, no outtakes at the end this time, oddly enough.

Transcript, courtesy of mallocks
Play styles thread
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:31:09 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #17: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:37 pm »

Rainseeker:   Yes: 'My mighty warrior can never find his way out of the bathroom.'
Sadly that sometimes happens to me :V

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »

Hmmm... Oddly enough hearing how Captain Tastic made the playstyles thread fills me with fury and dread.

The only appropriate emotion I can convey is: -_-

Though as with most things I am sure I am the only one who feels this way. Which makes me convey: :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:32:24 pm by Neonivek »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:31:24 pm »

Rainseeker:   So does that mean that I could create a new adventurer and go to the town where the old adventurer retired and meet him and possibly recruit him to my party?
Toady:   Yeah, you can actually do that right now.
Oh sweet. Twice the power to absolutely destroy everything.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:18 pm »

Rainseeker:   Yes: 'My mighty warrior can never find his way out of the bathroom.'

Woops!  I had the 16th episode transcript linked.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 08:34:52 pm »

Captain Tastic: "Gamist, Simulationist, and constructionist. I don't think you will find anyone who falls outside those groups"
Me: "You can't fall outside those groups. It is impossible. The groups are Play, Experience, and Create"

Dang it Cap!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:35:34 pm »

Oh man and I didn't even notice it. Friggin' sleep deprivation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 08:36:25 pm »

Oh man and I didn't even notice it. Friggin' sleep deprivation.

All their small talk starts to blend together. Plus they often repeat the same things from talk to talk.

Listening: Ok... This is going to be one of those talks where I think it will be better for everyone if I just don't comment on it....

So I won't. Bye everyone!

--Edit addition--

Also thank you for another DFTalks all of Captaintastic, Toady One, and Rain Seeker and Mallocks.

Don't let what I say get you down.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:49:21 pm by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »

Aaaaaaaah!

(I sing when I'm really happy and this made me really happy :D)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 09:17:20 pm »

Weee! one of my questions was asked :D

:D :D :D Weee!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:19:04 pm by Neonivek »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 09:26:08 pm »

Weee! one of my questions was asked :D

:D :D :D Weee!

A good question, too.

And a good Talk overall- quite enjoyable, gentlemen!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:36 pm »

Quote from: Toady: DF talk #17
So if it comes to it, if we have legitimate reasons to blow things up then I'm definitely for that.
:D

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:23:47 pm »

Seems to me that the thing with the game recognizing constructions would be not too hard to do using just those i-button zones. The game can determine how splendorous it considers your construction by the number of tiles filled with non-natural wall (constructed, or smoothed/engraved) and/or the total monetary value of the walls and constructed furniture.

Randomly generated languages could work fine - you add a dictionary of banned words that the program checks against, and if the word is one of those it's not used. There are plenty of lists like this in the world, probably there are folks on this forum who could link to one or two good free ones.
You could also do just slight variation stuff, with perhaps a larger array of premade words and variant grammar rules for, say, different human kingdoms to pick from, leaving most of the language the same so they're more like odd dialects in the way that Jamaican or Ebonics or Scots are very similar to English but still recognizably different. Since there's nothing spoken, spellings can remain the same and accents need not be things that are particularly represented.

Regarding the corralling of your companions on shore leave: You could have a horn that you'd blow, and they'd all know "oh, he's blowing the horn, he needs us" or there could be some sort of a "meet back here in three days" plan, when you give them leave to mess around you say how long you're doing it for. And depending on their personalities, insufficient leave might cause trouble.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 11:53:22 pm »

I think it would be appropriate for you to be able to give orders to your companions about how they should spend their time in town, whether they should gear up or if they can just do whatever they want. Of course, to do most things, they'll need money, so there will have to be some sort of system for divvying up the loot. And I don't know how they'd pick what they need to buy normally, but I'd expect, especially at first, that you'd have to set up some sort of uniforms for them. Hopefully you wouldn't have to have very tight specifications to prevent them from spending all their money on one jewel-encrusted sock with a picture of a goat and trees. Although that does make me think that it would be cool if you could order specific companions to perform certain tasks while you're in town, like taking everyone's cloaks to the clothier's to get your team logo sewn on them.

What would really be interesting is the game had a way to deal with those situations where you need to leave town fast. I'd love it if I could guess based solely on their personalities where my companions might be. And if it's possible to set up meeting times and places, hopefully there'd be some sort of system so that you can set contingency plans, in case there's a full moon and everyone in town is werewolves, for example, to meet somewhere outside of town.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 06:32:09 am »

Regarding the corralling of your companions on shore leave: You could have a horn that you'd blow

This is really simple, and there's already trumpets in the game.  Departing cruise ships in harbor blow the horn to summon late crewmembers, one blast for each malingerer.

Building a world recognized Temple could be as simple as (c)onstructing a stone Altar and sizing the room, or rooms, multi-z-level designations are coming if I remember.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2 3