Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #17: Feedback  (Read 49804 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #17: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 02:48:53 pm »

I fear what the fanbase is going to do with explosions.

Toady, in terms of grammar, do you have any thoughts about the languages? I mean, I've always imagined Dwarven to be some bizarre ergative monstrosity, like Basque or something, and then Elvish would be a more morphologically simple language, like Hawai'ian maybe.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 03:23:03 pm »

Building a world recognized Temple could be as simple as (c)onstructing a stone Altar and sizing the room, or rooms, multi-z-level designations are coming if I remember.
We are getting multi-z designations, but defining a room isn't a designation. And that's insufficient to deal with megaprojects that have a less defined purpose than a temple. Of the currently existing systems, only zones and burrows encompass space in the right way. I picked zones because they already deal with stuff within the zone, while burrows relate only to dwarf AI.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 10:55:24 pm »

I have to wonder, though:

Is there any reason Zach isn't in these DFtalks? I feel like he could contribute a lot!

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 02:45:01 am »

Dialects? So the five languages will actually be the five language families? Awesome.  :)

Oh, and I second the dwarven-as-absurdly-complex-ergative-abomination. It's just.. dorfy.. Wonder if DF will have different writing systems in my lifetime? :S
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »

I know it was a minor point, but the part about apocalypse was really exciting to me, mainly the idea of being able to try and prevent or survive one.  Hopefully a zombie apocalypse will be possible with the army arc.  Or maybe a werepocalypse, that would be fun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 05:36:27 pm »

I know it was a minor point, but the part about apocalypse was really exciting to me, mainly the idea of being able to try and prevent or survive one.  Hopefully a zombie apocalypse will be possible with the army arc.  Or maybe a werepocalypse, that would be fun.

If that interests you, Toady has also discussed the concept of an apocalypse during world gen or gameplay in several posts.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 05:53:29 pm »

Is there any reason Zach isn't in these DFtalks? I feel like he could contribute a lot!

I like Zach a lot and would love him to be on the cast!  As a matter of fact, I believe there were times he was listening in to the recording.  The only reason Zach isn't on the podcast is that he doesn't want to be, which is fine.  Maybe in the future, who knows.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 05:55:23 pm »

If that interests you, Toady has also discussed the concept of an apocalypse during world gen or gameplay in several posts.

Cool, thanks.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »

BUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!
[Signature]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:39 pm »

I like Zach a lot and would love him to be on the cast!  As a matter of fact, I believe there were times he was listening in to the recording.  The only reason Zach isn't on the podcast is that he doesn't want to be, which is fine.  Maybe in the future, who knows.

Not really surprised personally. Given the psychological report

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 10:15:34 pm »

I've always liked the educational qualities of dwarf fortress (how many of us knew the basics of historical steel making before playing or could name an ore of iron let alone several?). It's nothing you couldn't learn on your own without the game, but the game makes it fun. For that reason I'm looking forward to Toady getting heavily involved in languages and grammar because I've always wanted to have a more formal understanding of it and the game might encourage me to pursue that.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 06:10:51 am »

Nice talk!

Rainseeker:   Yeah, that actually is interesting, to have the concept of, maybe, scenarios where that is stated, like, you know, 'In ten years, the end of the world is coming, prepare yourself.'
Capntastic:   That'd be fun.
Toady:   Yeah. We're definitely thinking, when we said ... there was this old Armok system where, I think it was the atmosphere, plot ... what was the other word, there were three words right? There was the atmosphere and the plot and the something else ... a genre. The genre, atmosphere, plot system of Armok I, which of course ... we didn't get anywhere with that game, but the genre, atmosphere, plot system ...
I have two questions about this quote:
1)What is this armok 1 plot system? I played armok 1 a little but I wasn't able to do anything
2)Are there some game mechanics in DF that originally belong to armok 1?
Thank you

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 02:46:16 pm »

Those were planned, not ever finished due to the graphics being a huge drag.

Game mechanics in DF... exploding heads? I don't know >_>

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 09:04:14 pm »

I just found out about the pleasure of listening to these while playing DF :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3