Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampires dont drink alcohol  (Read 7786 times)

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires dont drink alcohol
« on: November 17, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »

its just an idea but should Vampires not be able to drink alcohol, or when they do should they start puking? its just an idea
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires dont drink alcohol
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:33 pm »

Seems like either a) vampires will need [NO_DRINK] + a fudge to give the a false "Drink" job

or b) vampires will be ridiculously easy to discover in fort mode.

Do you mean that they will drink neither alcohol nor water?

"Dwarf, Urist Creepy is such a good worker! She never stops to grab a drink .... hey wait, in fact, I've never seen her drink. That's .... odd. Wonder where Morul Broker has got to. Haven't seen 'im in ages."
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

mtech47

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 07:39:49 pm »

If we give them a NO_EAT token it would be more in the with the myth.

Defiantly needs a false job to cover it up though
"Dragon 5 has died after colliding with an obstacle" combat testing. Result:Should be good for my goblin problems.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »

it seems that Aachen's suggested implementation would be easily moddable given the way that that Toady has described the system that will be used.

As for the suggestion itself, for those of you who don't know, its presumably a reference to a line from the classic Bella Lugosi version of Dracula
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:24 am »

Theres bound to be a dog nearbye, I imagine a vampire could spit it right back out.  Like this 0:45,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0euplRrCJ60

I hope they fly.  We might get to see them FUI, fly under the influence.  Maybe a drunk vampire could carry off a dwarf and bonk his head and drop the dwarf down a hole.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 03:49:47 am »

One begins to wonder about the consistency of dwarf BAC.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 06:46:43 pm »

I don't know...

Generally speaking in myths Vampires could eat, in fact in some they even enjoyed eating normal food, it is just that they didn't HAVE to eat or drink anything but blood or flesh.

I'd think Vampires would drink either for the taste, because they are thirsty (for a few), or to keep up the illusion that they arn't vampires.

So it wouldn't be a NO_EAT

It would be a NO_HUNGER and NO_THIRST at minimum (with a special thirst unique to them)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 01:11:50 am »

Makes me think of Otto von Chriek, in The Truth, Terry Pratchett.  He wore a vial of blood around his neck, so when his flash deformed him, his photographee could open the vial and pour it on his ash.  The drops of blood were a catalyst to help Otto go from ash to human form after the camera flash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undead_(Discworld)#Notable_undead

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 06:12:23 am »

I don't know...

Generally speaking in myths Vampires could eat, in fact in some they even enjoyed eating normal food, it is just that they didn't HAVE to eat or drink anything but blood or flesh.
Yeah, this is really something that should depend on the vampire type - some might be able to drink, some unable, some might even need to drink still... And given that we don't know the typical vampire raws yet, this might even be in yet.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 08:47:07 am »

How about giving the the option to both eat adn drink but not make it necesarry. They should pretend to be hungry/thirsty.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 11:21:31 am »

Well. Why shouldn't vampires eat and drink?

Sure they feast on blood for nutrition.. but that doesn't mean they don't have a sense of taste! Don't we all eat and drink things with little to no energy/nutrition value just because we think it taste good? I'm a sucker for diet soda I tell you that right now.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 12:05:13 pm »

I don't know...

Yeah, this is really something that should depend on the vampire type - some might be able to drink, some unable, some might even need to drink still... And given that we don't know the typical vampire raws yet, this might even be in yet.

What vampire has been uttarly unable to eat and drink?

The closest I can think of is this inhuman vampire that doesn't count.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 01:51:11 pm »

I don't know...

What vampire has been uttarly unable to eat and drink?

The closest I can think of is this inhuman vampire that doesn't count.
Agreed.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 04:27:22 pm »

I'm not sure why you're asking me, but as I recall, Vampire: the Masquerade vampires were examples if they lacked the perk to eat food. And other examples outside what I assume you mean with the one who doesn't count appear to exist as well, according to some search. Not everything Twilight does with vampires is a horrible mockery of commonly assumed vampire traits.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 05:15:31 pm »

A single tag (or a pair, for both normal consumptions) of something like [FALSE_DRINK/EAT] would seem to me the solution, if we're determined to have our vampires both not eat/drink but also pretend to do so.  You could make it so that a [PRETEND_EAT] adds to the [NO_EAT] (and _DRINK, likewise), but that might lead to strangenesses with apparent gluttons who not only find time to eat (being not [NO_EAT]) but also spend extra time pretending to do so as well.  If you want that, fair enough, but I think a FALSE-type tag would be more logically encompassing under normal circumstances.

In a lot of the more popular fictions about vampires, you get things like the newly vampirised people (who may or may not yet have realised what's happening to them, and if they do may or may not like the idea of what they have become) trying to eat mortal food, but just becoming ill and weak, until they are finally given their first 'lesson' in feeding by their sire, or having been reduced to the underworld of the homeless of the back-alleys ends up catching a rat and drinking from it by instinct, and from then on they 'get better', at least in a vampiric way, although never quite 'full strength' if sticking to non-sentient 'livestock'.

But in others they're fully capable of eating and drinking as normal, with blood (human, preferably, animal replacement for the more human-friendly subset and some fictions provide them with their own TruBlood-esque artificial/cloned[3] pick-me-up but with varying efficacy for long-term undead-health) merely taking the role of an "essential mineral or vitamin" in their diet, or perhaps relegated to something they only need to actually ingest once every century or so...

I have no idea which way Toady's variants are going to go, of course.  I'm assuming that they are intrinsically leach-like and non-friendly in their tendencies (more Angelus than Angel, but subtly so for all that...), so not many Black Ribboners among their kind[1], or others like Doreen and Arthur Notferatu (neé Wilkins) who are vampiric by inheritance (and, in the former's case also only by marriage, and yet still has been shown to truly possess the qualities of the undead[2]) and make do with having their steaks on the raw side.

[1] Note that the glass vial that Otto carries also readily smashes as it falls to the ground along with his ashes when he ends up with too bright a flash, so it doesn't always need the nicely written instructive card to be obeyed by the accompanying reporter, subject of the photograph or other willing by-stander.

[2] Not the nightie-wearing qualities, perhaps...

[3] If the fiction doesn't have the ethical alternative blood actually be donated (voluntarily, or otherwise) actual blood but 'fenced' through some unscrupulous vampiric fronts where it's renamed as a replacement product.  Something that the "Good Vampire" or other protagonist then has to discover and possibly resolve according to their own particular moral code.
Pages: [1] 2