Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic  (Read 1127 times)

UndeadLife

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magic
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:37:54 am »

I think magic in Dwarf Fortress would be pretty cool. I don't think that the standard RPG-style system of mana points or whatever would really fit into the general feel and mood of Dwarf Fortress, so I think having a magic system similar to alchemy would be the best choice. Basically, any sentient being (goblins, humans, dwarves, etc.) can harvest and gather different ingredients and herbs for making potions. Each potion has a different effect based on what ingredients are used, the skill of the person making the potion, and luck. This opens up the possibility for a whole lotta FUN, which can involve a stray goblin alchemist chucking an explody-potion into your food and booze stockpiles.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Magic
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:40:33 am »

Hello and welcome to the forums. You have successfully posted something that has been planned. Congratulations! You have proven your dwarfyness!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:46:36 am »

Footkerchief...

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:54:36 am »

On another note, when alchemy does actually get implemented, it's going to be hard for me to resist the urge to take an orphaned dwarf with a short temper, give him a red cloak, and dedicate his life to finding/creating the Philosopher's Stone.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:21:18 pm by King DZA »

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 01:30:10 pm »

On another note, when alchemy does actually get implemented, it's going to be hard for me to resist the urge to take an orphaned dwarf with a short temper, give him a red cloak, and dedicate his life to finding/creating the Philosopher's Stone
Don't forget to find a way to replace an arm and a leg. I'm sure we'll have some means to do so in the future. Eventually. These are dwarves after all.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.