Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Benefits of becoming a Barony, Country, Duchy and Mountainhome  (Read 10378 times)

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits of becoming a Barony, Country, Duchy and Mountainhome
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:56:55 am »

Indeed, becoming a baron does not preclude actual work.

The baroness of my current fort, which is knee deep in the undead, is a legendary armorsmith who does the trading and bookkeeping sort of on the side.
She also just made a particularly badass platinum shield.

The baron consort, by the way, is no slouch either. He is currently hard at work bashing in some goblin's skull with aforementioned badass platinum shield. He works the forges when not on duty.

But as for benefits to having a barony... Meh, not sure... Bragging rights?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:53:32 pm »

Becoming the Mountainhome does still generate an additional to a migrant wave which includes the King (or Queen).   And if they're dead you still get the set of guards.  The two times I've become the Mountainhome this meant I got four legendary weapon masters (mix of axe, hammer, sword, spear) who are a definite positive addition to your militia.  (In my case they helped train squads up while the squads trained them in fighter.)

Otherwise, it pretty much generates visits from diplomats and more mandates to meet.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 07:40:00 pm »

It was true in prior versions that immigrant nobles didn't do much work, dungeon master aside. At the time, the rest would still tear down constructions, at least. If the kids didn't pick up the jobs first. Possibly also harvesting, if "All dwarves harvest" was enabled. My memory is fuzzy there.

Being raised to barony is supposed to have an effect — there are quite a few broken noble positions in the present version. Those are supposed to be part of the "barony package." They just aren't functional right now.

FWIW, the noble does take over a lot of the meeting-load. I appreciate this, as it frees up my broker/miner (recent skill habit) to be more useful. One can choose a dwarf with more free time to chat with the various diplomats and liaisons.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »

As stated earlier barony brings benefits too.
Just think of appointing really cool and useful nobles, like
-Champion, military dorf that serves as trainer for others
-Hammerer, the Ultimate Justice dorf
-Dungeon Master, which allows taming exotic pets
-Tax Collector, which initiates dorf economy
-Philosopfer, which makes you wonder why it even exists
Too bad all of them are broken at the moment, but in next release hammerers will finally be back.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 05:12:31 am »

So the bloodline succession thing practically eliminates the chance to get a new baron when the former dies heirless. Is that so with the duke, too? I'm seeing why there is so much prejudice against the nobles. It's because of Prefstring:InbredMoronicHeir, right?

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 06:38:56 am »

Pretty sure that goes for all grades. My Duke killed himself and never got replaced. But I still got royal migrants when the fort was declared Mountainhome. They had no titles, though.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 10:08:01 am »

It was true in prior versions that immigrant nobles didn't do much work, dungeon master aside. At the time, the rest would still tear down constructions, at least. If the kids didn't pick up the jobs first. Possibly also harvesting, if "All dwarves harvest" was enabled. My memory is fuzzy there.

Confirmed. I had many an "oh, crap" moment over realising my Hammerdwarf had become legendary in growing in 40d.

One benefit you can wring out of Barons is if they're a dwarf that's prone to depression for some reason, say, they have lots of kids or friends drafted into the militia, and they like things you make lots of anyway, they'll have nice buffer of happy thoughts from quickly fulfilled mandates.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am »

my duke was the former miltia commander he served as the commander after the death of the prior one for about 6 months.

he has over 30 kills and was a legendary swordsmen before becoming a duke. he is NOT useless, and if he has a sword on him he could do some serious damage. one axe lord i have has over 40 kills though, our current milita commander but i think he sadly died recently =( i just appointed a new one

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:04 am »

I'm assuming in later arcs that Barony or better is required to raise armies and wage war.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »

I'm assuming in later arcs that Barony or better is required to raise armies and wage war.
That'll make nobles a necessary evil. Unfortunate Accidents may become far less common, except possibly among those who simply wish to build things. Increasing the rank (barony, county, etc) could allow you to control bigger armies. This could be Fun.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »

That'll make nobles a necessary evil. Unfortunate Accidents may become far less common, except possibly among those who simply wish to build things. Increasing the rank (barony, county, etc) could allow you to control bigger armies. This could be Fun.
Baron von Necro has madated the heads of ten thousand elves.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 02:47:40 pm »

Well a king and some guards just migrated, but the king was human and so old that the SECOND he walked on the map he died of all age.

Can I not become a Mountain Homes now?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »

I would have though you would mandate the gifting of 10,000 urists of magma to each and every visitor to your fortress, Necro. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »

Well a king and some guards just migrated, but the king was human and so old that the SECOND he walked on the map he died of all age.

Can I not become a Mountain Homes now?
I would say... no. Very sorry. I've had it happen too. On the plus side, you're not missing much besides a whiny noble. Literally. Whiny.

I would have though you would mandate the gifting of 10,000 urists of magma to each and every visitor to your fortress, Necro. :D
Ah, but the heads are obtained though the gifting of 10,000 urists of magma each!
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 06:53:44 pm »

At the moment, becoming the mountainhome is a massive drawback, simply because you can no longer request the rarer and more valuable items from your outpost liaison.
Pages: 1 [2]