Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ... 'Creative' ... Elven Civ Names  (Read 5037 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
... 'Creative' ... Elven Civ Names
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:36:41 pm »

Heh - I find myself creating two threads at the same time - but after creating the Obsidian Tower Casting thread, I close the window to find a text document behind it that I had open for a while, list of all the elven civ names in this world gen data export:

The Quiescence of Bowels
The Persuasive Cactus
The Umbral Beard
The Growth of Moistness
The Strapping Styles
The Amazing Animal
The Desert of Sand
The Gulf of Breaching
The Glimmering Braids
The Sparkle of Splashing
The Heavenly Animal
The Molten Pelt
The Superior Cactus
The Flute of Nuts
The Fields of Seizing

So, in a nutshell, elven civ names consist of Constipation, Tequila, Beard Shadows, ... Figure the next one out yourself ..., The latest fashion, A cool zoo exhibit, A civ led by captain obvious, Figure this one out too, A shiny hairstyle, A waterfall in a good region, figure this one too, melted hair, bragging over cacti, this one is also weird, and land captured by war.

What weird ones have you seen?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:51:31 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ... 'Creative' ... Elven Civ Names
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:59 am »

Amu Enela, The Creature of Love.

This proves their hippy ways.

( I know you're asking for elf ones, but heres a dwarf one.)
The Cloudy Stockade.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:55:51 am »

Wetholiaweme, or, for the non-hippy, The Hazy Apes - must be regular users of creative herbs.

Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUH.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 05:13:34 am »

I got weird looks for the laughing fit that in-a-nutshell gave me :P
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:11:25 am »

Currently in one of my worlds my dwarven civ is at war with Pilaatera, The Poetic Cloud, an awesomely huge elven empire. The dwarf civ at first was very succesful against them but when I check the history, since their new queen who was crowned at 237, the elves have been reclaiming a site every year up till 249.

Another elven civ which is fortunately a peaceful one is named The Euphoria of Deities, and most of their groups start with the word Euphoria/Euphoric, The Euphoria of Seeds, The Euphoric Maw and the Euphoric Group.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:23:01 pm »

In my most successful 40d fort, my civ ws t war with the Pears of Equality.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 04:37:17 pm »

My favourite civilization name was, after I had used the DFLanguages mod to make my Elves speak French, "Crabe pour Toujours" or "Crab for All Days" or "Crab Forever"
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 04:47:43 pm »

My favourite civilization name was, after I had used the DFLanguages mod to make my Elves speak French, "Crabe pour Toujours" or "Crab for All Days" or "Crab Forever"

Your first translation was correct, pour toujours is for all days, strike the pour and you get crab forever.[/frenchie]

That said, I like it even more. wait a sec... is there crab in DF? I've never seen crab... wow... df doesn't have crabs. *ahem* crabs would just be like turtles, but in a different biome and different shell name.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 04:55:38 pm »

Your first translation was correct, pour toujours is for all days, strike the pour and you get crab forever.[/frenchie]

That said, I like it even more. wait a sec... is there crab in DF? I've never seen crab... wow... df doesn't have crabs. *ahem* crabs would just be like turtles, but in a different biome and different shell name.

The universe has no crabs, yet has the word "Crab"

I wonder what that would be like.

Guy1: "So "Crabe pour Toujours", what's that?

Elf: "That's our mighty civilization!"

Guy1: "No, I mean "Crabe"

Elf: "Uh..."
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »

Are Imaza: The Seed of Snakes....

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 06:41:19 pm »

I think forgotten beasts can show up as crabs.
 Imagine that you've never seen a crab before in your entire life.. but then you hear shouts. You hear screaming. There is something evil in the caverns! Dwarves flee and shout "OH GOD WHAT IS THAT THING" and you hear the heavy steps of many feet! You hear claws scratching against the side of the cave! closer.. closer.. CLOSER! It comes from the darkness, it is huge! It could grab three dwarves in ONE of its massive claws!! and just look at that armor! HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FIGHT THIS THING??
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »

The Spearmaster stabs the Inflatable Crab in the upper body with his +iron spear+, tearing the nylon!
The Inflatable Crab is deflating!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 01:51:38 am »

My neighboring Elven civ goes by the name of Acimasami, or "The Spattered Cactus".

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »

I think forgotten beasts can show up as crabs.
 Imagine that you've never seen a crab before in your entire life.. but then you hear shouts. You hear screaming. There is something evil in the caverns! Dwarves flee and shout "OH GOD WHAT IS THAT THING" and you hear the heavy steps of many feet! You hear claws scratching against the side of the cave! closer.. closer.. CLOSER! It comes from the darkness, it is huge! It could grab three dwarves in ONE of its massive claws!! and just look at that armor! HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FIGHT THIS THING??
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I applaud your use of a human for scale. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »

So, is that a crab made of steam (closest thing the game has to helium) which emanates an aura of giving and kindness? (Beware its Jamaican accent?)

New theory: Steam FBs are actually giant balloon animals.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2