Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239]

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225391 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #3570 on: February 01, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »

its upsetting to know this show has tainted df
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: February 01, 2013, 07:10:48 pm »

Hooo boy, we got a hater here! Nah I'm just messin'. But it's been tainted for a while buddy, no use complaining about it. :P

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: February 01, 2013, 09:07:03 pm »

Hooo boy, we got a hater here! Nah I'm just messin'. But it's been tainted for a while buddy, no use complaining about it. :P

Glitterglen is even in the Hall of Legends. Not all that shocking given the nearly 10,000 posts it has.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: February 02, 2013, 02:41:56 am »

???
the one day i check the df forum I see this dusty old dead page get risen from the dead. well, i'm glad to hear some of this news.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: February 08, 2013, 02:11:12 am »

And now that Duskfields is live, it's time to link the two together.  The following scene takes place around the middle of 268, several years after Virtue's last diary entry.

and

It had been three years since Virtue had last set hoof in Coupledye.  She'd visited once not long after Glaive and his family moved away.  It had been over fifteen years since she'd seen her family then.  Seeing them again after so long had been a bit bittersweet, but mostly sweet.  After all, how did one explain not visiting even once in such a long time?  Letters were one thing, but nothing like hugging your family and speaking to them face to face.  She'd enjoyed her last stay in Coupledye.  Seeing Glaive's old family home and spending some more casual time with his family was nice.  Her parents immediately fell in love with their grandfoals, and Temperance hadn't changed a bit.  That much was a bit surprising though.  Even at thirty four years old, he was still single and continuing the dead end administration job he held.  But despite all of that, she'd enjoyed her last stay.  She figured she'd come back sometime soon.

She didn't expect it to be this soon though, and she really wished she was enjoying this stay more.

After receiving the letter from the winter caravan, she immediately set out to return to Coupledye.  A letter from Temperance, saying that he'd applied for and been accepted for the leading position for an expedition off into the wilderness to set up a few farms to help feed Coupledye.  She couldn't believe it at first.  After all of the letters she sent home about the things that had happened here?  And he still wanted to do this?

That was two months ago.  Now, she was sitting in his living room, trying one last time to convince him that it was a terrible idea and he could be killed.  Did he not remember what happened to Brook?  Or Barley?  Or, heaven forbid, what happened to Arbalest, Wool and Stiletto?  Apparently not.  None of her pleading seemed to be making any headway.

Temperance sat across from her, filing through some of the paperwork she'd brought back from Dawnpick to give him an idea of just what he'd be getting into.  All of the management, the logistics, sorting out social problems, doling out justice even, all of that would soon be dumped onto him and nopony else could do it for him.  At least not for a long time.  He seemed all the more excited for it.  "Well, early on it looks simple enough."  He raised a hoof to his chin.  "It really takes this long to get shelter put up?"

"Yes, it does.  Or it can anyway."  Virtue was flipping through her diary, reliving the early months of Dawnpick.  "Bring as many skilled hooves as you can.  You want to get protection up as soon as you possibly can."

Temperance rolled his eyes.  "Or the badger ponies will eat me.  I know, I know, you've said it thirty times since you go there."  He pushed the papers aside.  "I'll be careful, I promise.  I've got all of your expertise to learn from."

Virtue paused on the page where she recorded Brook's death, and shut the diary.  She didn't want to read that again right now.  "I know, but this isn't a game.  The badger ponies aren't going to play fair."  She sighed.  "They're going to come when you least expect it.  At night.  From the darkness.  They'll hide in the trees.  And they seem to know no fear, from what I've seen.  They charged our trapped gate, heedless of the ones that died right in front of them."

"Then I'll bring a couple of soldiers with me.  From the sounds of things Halberd did a great job.  And I've met Glaive, he seemed to think they weren't very tough."

"And do you recall the time that badger pony almost got me?  If Halberd hadn't been there he would have.  Temp, you're not a soldier.  You can bring all you want, but if they're not around..."

"I know, I know..." Temperance insisted, rolling his eyes again.  "Virtue, I'm not a five year old foal.  I know how to be careful!"  He started fiddling with the papers again.  "Look, can we change the subject?  How much food and water did you bring?"

Fine.  If he was going to go through with this foal's errand despite her warnings, she couldn't stop him.  "I... uh, I don't remember.  Hold on..."  She started rifling through her own stack of papers before letting out a small yawn.

Temperance soon followed with his own, and rubbed his eyes.  "You know, it's getting late.  Harvest went to bed two hours ago.  Why don't we pick this up tomorrow morning?"  He stood and stretched.  "You want anything before bed?"

Virtue stood and faced him.  "Just one thing."  With that, she pulled her little brother into a tight hug.  "Just be safe.  Please, for me."

"Hey, we're just going to bed," he teased.  When she gave him a disapproving frown, he said, "Sorry, no more joking.  But it's not like you're not going to see me again."

At least she had a few more days to spend with him.  She made a tiny smile.  "Right.  Come on, let's get some sleep."

And with that, the story picks up in Duskfields.  We'll see if Temperance makes good on his promises to Virtue about being safe...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: March 28, 2013, 08:06:28 pm »

Just poking my head in to say I'm working on a transcription of Dawnpick over on FIMFiction. I've finished listing the players and their ponies, but I would'nt mind if someone could look that over and make sure I didn't mess anything up. I'm up to Barley's death, and the link is here. I've already crosslinked to both Dawnpick and Duskfields.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: March 28, 2013, 11:50:00 pm »

Oh, cool.  Glad to see someone doing this!  I took a look atthe credits list and it looks fine to me.  You've collected a lot more there than I could remember anyway.  :)

I wish you the best of luck with this, and look forward to seeing how it turns out.  It's going to be a ton of work.  If nothing else, there's an enormous amount of content here to transfer.  I'd suggest maybe taking the advice from the comments there and culling some of the uninteresting or irrelevant parts.  The RP scenes are going to be very tough to translate, at least early on where they're not self contained.

I'm also happy to see that Dawnpick is actually kind of known outside of just the thread.  I'd have never expected to make much impact, and certainly never expected this thread to get even 1% of the attention it got.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:38 pm »

Any chance for a pony? If so, name it Castor Vaugn.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: March 30, 2013, 07:25:21 am »

Uh... Dawnpick is long since over, sorry. Try Duskfields instead.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 30, 2013, 08:44:49 am »

Right sorry! I haven't been on the forums in a long time and I just assumed it was still active! My mistake! :-[
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: January 12, 2015, 12:25:20 am »

Howdy everyone.

I'm posting this here since it should notify a lot of old players who might be interested in something.  Since I don't learn my lessons easily and because I've been considering this for a while, have a new pony fort: Shadytrails.  I'll be posting the real game soonish, but for now you can get an idea of what I have in mind by reading that.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239]