Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225208 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 04:59:43 am »

Please, don't turn this into GlitterGlen II.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:28 am »

Prequel, maybe?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 05:12:00 am »

NO!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »

Tempting to claim Panacea and call her Friesden...hehehehe

Haha, I was wondering if you'd want to do something like that.  I think Glitterglen has enough crazy ponies right now, but I'm not too averse to the story being related to Glitterglen in some way.  Completely up to KingStrongbeard, and it's probably a bit too early to even consider something like that now.

Quote from: Khenal
Also posting to watch.  Claiming a pony is tempting, but I'm a bit involved with Glitterglen and I don't think I could handle playing two ponies   :P

Yeah, I figured since Glitterglen was still going nobody would really want to claim ponies here so I was just going to write it as a pure story.  Already have a few pony requests though, so if you change your mind let me know.  I really like the way you've been playing Khenal in Glitterglen.  I'll try to keep a list of free ponies somewhere, so if anypony catches your eye, be my guest. :)

Next update in a bit, I've almost caught up all of the history that I've played so far.  At that point the future is a bit more open to roleplaying, but everyone who's claimed ponies can feel free to post journals or roleplaying of current events anytime.  Well, all the little bit that's happened so far anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 04:57:29 pm »

Glad to know my farming goes well!  So what are these pegasus farming tricks Harvest Moon knows?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »

Is it how to grow above ground crops underground?  I love that trick.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »

Glad to know my farming goes well!  So what are these pegasus farming tricks Harvest Moon knows?

Hadn't decided, but I was thinking something like spreading seeds while flying.  Feel free to improvise!

Quote from: Khenal
Is it how to grow above ground crops underground?  I love that trick.

All of the farming is being done above ground actually.  The only thing I plan to put underground is food storage and the crypt once it becomes necessary.  I figured it felt more ponified if the fort was above ground, which is what's taking so long to get it all set up in game, heh.

Edit: Fixed typo in a quote tag
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:28:59 pm by Telgin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »

Virtue's Diary - 2nd Malachite, 251

I knew this day was coming, but I had hoped it wouldn't come so soon.  Early this morning three new migrants showed up:

A pegasus gemcutter named Diamond Shard
A unicorn clothier named Chic
An earth pony fisher named Babbling Brook (she asked to just be called Brook, can't say I blame her)

I hated to tell them that we didn't have any personal rooms for them yet, but at least there is room for shift sleeping.  I'm not sure why we were sent a gemcutter or clothier just yet, must have been a mixup in the paperwork back home.

Diamond Shard seemed a bit shocked when I asked her to grab Saw Dust's pick and head to the quarry, but when I mentioned she could keep any small gems she found for herself, she perked up a bit.  Chic has been asked to help with the carpentry for now.  She wasn't thrilled either, but I think the idea of getting a personal bedroom for herself should help motivate a bit.

I saw a lot of fish and turtles in the nearby river, so I told Brook to have at it.  Although we've got a fair bit of strawberries stocked up it doesn't hurt to have more food  coming in.  I haven't seen her for the rest of the day, I guess she's been busy.  I should probably look into getting some more bolts put together for Longshot, but so far we still haven't had much in the way of extra wood.

19th Malachite, 251

The bedrooms for the new migrants are coming together now.  I'll admit that they've been more of a blessing than I'd expected.  The extra hooves have really made a difference around here.

Otherwise things have been fairly mundane.  Some badgers were pestering the carpenters as they were at work, so I set Halberd on them.  I don't take joy in slaughtering animals needlessly, but we can't afford to get slowed down right now.  Halberd seemed a bit annoyed at first, but I could tell he was in better spirits after it was over.  He's been keeping to himself for the most part, but I think it would do some good to get a little training area set up for him.  It would give him something to do when he's bored.

25th Sandstone, 251

I've been a bit depressed lately, so I haven't had much motivation to write anything.

First off, our alcohol supplies ran out a few days ago.  I've been so busy keeping things running around here that I didn't have time to tend the still.  I've asked Harvest Moon to take over completely for now, and he seems to be doing a fair job of it.  Fortunately the river isn't too far away, so nopony went thirsty, but I could tell spirits were down a bit.  Hopefully that will improve with some more wine in our barrels.

Quarrying has slowed down a lot too.  Diamond Shard has stripped out a fair bit of the magnetite vein we encountered, but right now we don't have anypony to process it, nor the time anyway.  I hope that will change soon, since it's the entire reason we're out here.

Lastly, I regret to record that our dining hall still isn't completed.  I'm really beginning to feel like I'm not the right pony for this job.  I'm sure there were a dozen others who could have done a better job back home.  Oh well, best not let my doubts get public.

The good news is that the bedrooms are finally done, so everypony can lend a hoof to getting the dining hall finished.

I also noticed Halberd seems to have been in a bit of a foul mood lately.  He's normally just reserved and quiet, but he genuinely seemed upset today.  I spoke to Longshot about it today, and he said that the three new ponies were “pestering” him about something.  I guess they'll learn in time that Halberd likes to be alone.

2nd Timber, 251

Late this afternoon I received word that some more migrants showed up. Unfortunately they approached from across the river, so we had to build a bridge for them to come across.  Did they lose their way somehow?  Anyway, we got a few more than last time, a family of four and a couple others:

The family:

A unicorn couple: Savory (a butcher and fish cleaner) and his wife Detergent (a lye maker), and their two pegasus foals Whirlwind and Storm Cloud.
An earth pony mare carpenter named Bevel
A pegasus mare metalworker named Pewter

I'm glad to see a butcher and fish cleaner, and another carpenter is always welcome.  I haven't decided what to do with the others just yet.  I think it may be time to start smelting some of the magnetite we've mined out, so at least Pewter might have something useful to do.

I fear they couldn't have come at a worse time though.  While we were preparing for new workers their bedrooms aren't ready yet, and our food stocks are beginning to run a bit low.  Harvest Moon is doing all he can with the seeds we have, but it might not be enough.  Savory should probably set to work helping Brook get some fish ready to eat.

Running a bit short on names, but that's what I've got.  Wish I'd taken some more screen shots of interesting stuff along the way, but I'm still learning this community fort thing.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 10:41:03 pm »

NOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOYNOBEERANDNOBRANDYMAKESHALBERDADULLBOY
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 02:10:54 pm »

Virtue's Diary, 17th Moonstone, 251

I think Brook and Savory deserve a reward of some sort.  We went from the brink of having no food to not knowing what to do with all of the fish and turtles those who have been processing.  Everypony will be eating turtle soup for a while, but that's a whole lot better than starving!  Which brings me to my next point...

The dining hall is almost done.  We've got the walls in place and have started moving some furniture in.  It should be ready soon, if everything goes well.

In more amusing news, I was disturbed this afternoon by hooves on the roof of my office.  Ashwood decided to set down there between cutting down some trees, and couldn't get down.  I'm not sure what the problem was, considering he has wings, but we managed to get him down by setting up some temporary stairs.

Ashwood's Journal, 17th Moonstone, 251

Today has to be one of the most embarrassing days of my life!  I landed atop Virtue's office this afternoon to catch my breath for a minute, and I realized I couldn't get down!  There wasn't enough room to take off, and truth be told, I'm a bit afraid of heights.  When I'm not flying, I just get the jitters near ledges.  I can't really explain it, and I'm sure nopony would understand.

She got me down, of course, so I tried to change the subject quickly.  By now I've nearly clear cut the area, so we're going to have to start using stone soon.  I could seriously use a break anyway, and I think Virtue could read what was on my mind.  She gave me a few days off, since we do have a good bit of stone stockpiled.

Telgin says, out of character, "Figured that would happen sooner or later.  Anyone who has played with the pony mod has seen pegasi get stuck on stuff.  I'll be leaving the stairs there in case anypony else gets stupid"

Virtue's Diary, 19th Obsidian, 251

A badger pony thief showed up today.  I was out at the fields talking with Harvest Moon at the time when I heard the shouting.  I don't think the thief even got to the stockpile before he was spotted, and the ruckus scared him off.  I went looking for Halberd but he was asleep.  By the time he was up and had his axe in mouth, the thief was gone.  Nevertheless, I put him on patrol for the rest of the afternoon.  He probably didn't like it, but he's the only one qualified to handle such a threat, so he'll have to live with it.

I spent the rest of the afternoon talking to Harvest Moon, and he walked me back to my room tonight.  He's a really interesting pony, and a good friend to have out here.  I feel so... relaxed around him.

Virtue's Diary, 23rd Obsidian, 251

Today turned out to be a pretty productive day.  Our liaison showed up today with a small merchant party.  We didn't have very much to trade, but we did have some larger gems Diamond Shard dug up in the quarry.  The merchants seemed happy enough with them, and we got some more fruit and wine in return.  That should be enough to pad our stocks for a while.

I asked the liaison to bring more seeds and food next year.  That won't help us in the immediate future, but by this time next year who knows what might happen, and starving to death seems like one of the worst things that could happen out here.  I also asked him to send word to hold back on the migrants if possible.  It's tough enough providing for the ponies we've got for now.

Speaking of seeds, Harvest Moon and I have really been hitting it off recently.  I've been spending most of my free time out at the fields with him, talking about just about everything.  I never noticed how graceful he was, sowing the seeds while airborne with all the precision of the best earth pony farmers I've ever known.

Telgin says, out of character, "Yes, there's love in the air!  Looks like Virtue and Harvest Moon are lovers now."

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »

"You there," Halberd says, trotting up to Virtue. "Do you know if I'll get to kill anything soon?" He asks, with a hint of longing in his voice.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 03:11:19 pm »

Virtue halts in place at the sound of Halberd's voice.  She turned away from the fields, where she was headed up to that point, and sees the soldier approaching her.  He rarely said much to her, but she was thankful he wasn't here to complain about being put on patrol.

She offered the most honest smile she could muster and replied,
"Well, I'm not sure.  We saw that thief the other day, so I can only imagine that there might be more around."

She raises a hoof to her chin and adds, "If you're bored patrolling the perimiter, I believe I heard Pewter say something about seeing some chimps getting a little too close to our settlement for comfort.  You could try running them off."  She smiled again.  "I know I don't have to tell you this, but they can be pretty dangerous, so be careful."

I'll see if I can get Halberd something to relieve his boredom on.  I don't know about in DF, but chimps are scary in real life.  I need to get some barracks set up for him to train in during his down time.  I'm going to have to reconsider this thing about the pony pics.  It might get annoying during roleplaying, maybe not.  We'll have to test it out I reckon.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 03:17:23 pm »

I love them! You drew them brilliantly! Why do you think I would be using Halberd's picture at all if I didn't like it?
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »

Aw, thanks.  I was just worried that it might get irritating if anyone starts doing a lot of back-and-forth roleplaying like in Glitterglen.  The alternative would be just using them in journal entries, I suppose.

If it's not annoying you then I don't see any reason to stop though. :)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 03:36:37 pm »

first of all, you can't have a good fort without a DJ! So, just like I do in Glitterglen, I shall do my best to find the appropriate music for the current situation. I shall not take no for an answer!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 239