Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225350 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 11:16:35 am »

Me being a lazy-ass, I buy wood.  Lot's of it, stock up and hope I don't have to cut trees because there is a one eyed civet of death infront of my fortress.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2011, 11:27:35 am »

Funny thing about that I don't think I've seen any wood in any caravans so far.  I thought that the caravans always brought wood, and I usually do buy it all up when I see it.  Poor Ashwood has been working like a slave cutting down every tree in sight, and they're pretty much all gone.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 03:54:41 pm »

Flux' Journal, Galena 21

Those things from the caverns were vicious little buggers.  Small creatures, all teeth and claws, though not exceptionally dangerous.  Diamond Shard handled a few that surprised her, then Longshot decided to actually go and hunt them for food.  I'm not sure I want to eat them, but I'll try it at least.  Who knows, maybe they're actually tasty.

Galena 23

Oh, I have missed making steel.  There's just something so satisfying about all the work put into making the wonderful alloy.  With Cinder's help, Pewter should have all the steel needed to make sure our military ponies are fully armed and armored in short order. 

Also, a zebra caravan showed up today.  I might go see what they have to offer later tonight.  I don't have a lot of bits, but I might be able to afford something interesting at least.

Limestone 26

We need to get those traps set up soon, a diamond dog thief was spotted by the military today.  They dealt with it quickly, but everypony is still a bit on edge.  We all still remember what happened to Brook.

Sandstone 11

More migrants!  Fuscina and I saw them as we were preparing the sites for the first set of traps, out around the drawbridge.  Virtue welcomed them, but I think she's a bit worried about where to put them all.  Dawnpick is growing quickly, and our carpenters are having problems keeping up with the number of immigrants. 
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »

I'm enjoying this.  What's Harvest Moon been up to lately?  I'm hoping he'll get a mood :)
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 04:56:17 pm »

Glad you like how it's going so far.  I should be able to update again soon, still recovering from pulling an all-nighter working on my robotics final project.

Harvest Moon has been pretty quiet lately, other than producing epic amounts of carrots, celery and strawberries.  I set up a couple of new fields for him and a few of the new migrant farmers to work in.  I wanted to keep this all above ground, but I don't have any rope reeds and need thread, so he's got an underground pig tail farm going too.

It's been several in game years with Virtue and Harvest Moon being lovers, but nothing else has come of it yet.  I think it's time to see if I can't help that along a bit.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 05:00:04 pm »

Diary.

Occasional fights. Even with fortress members.

Need catapult we. Clear enemy front of fortress from. Path only way this the.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2011, 07:54:15 am »

Just popping in to confirm that the art and writing are great. Do continue!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2011, 08:08:25 pm »

Just popping in to confirm that the art and writing are great. Do continue!

Thanks, glad you like it!

Virtue's Diary - 22nd Sandstone, 253

Arbalest came to me today insisting that we set up a catapult for him to start training on.  I told him that we haven't seen anything remotely justifying setting up a siege weapon of any sort, but he didn't back down.  So I told him that if he could build it, then have at it.  He left at that, I assume he'll go busy himself trying to piece together something.  I just hope he doesn't use up too much wood trying.

24th Sandstone, 253

Well, he impressed me.  Arbalest set up quite a sharp looking catapult just outside the main gate, overlooking the best approach to our fort.  He spent all day cheerfully lobbing stones into the distance, which seems to keep him happy at least.  As long as he doesn't hurt anypony, I suppose he can keep at it.  Who knows, maybe we will need that catapult one day.

It seems that a fair bit of wood has gone missing though.  More than I would have expected to be needed for the catapult, but with our wood conjuring spell it's not a big deal I suppose.  Our food stocks are still quite more than we need, so we can just make some more.

Panacea's Diary - 24th Sandstone, 253

While I was eating in the dining hall today, Saw Dust sat next to me and said he had a surprise for me down by the river.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but when I got there I saw that he'd set up a cozy little shack overlooking the river.  I'm not sure how he got permission from Virtue to use the wood, but I forgot all about that pretty quickly.  We spent all afternoon talking about everything.  It feels like it's been ages since I've really talked with him.  Where have the years gone?  I'm looking forward to spending more time with him when he gets a chance!

I call it the "love shack" *wink*.  I figured getting some ponies that have been in love for years close to each other every once in a while should help things along.

Virtue's Diary - 17th Timber, 253

These honey badger pony thieves are starting to worry me excessively.  Another batch of the little monsters attacked us today, but we managed to get off a bit easier this time.

The first two came from the east, blundering into the barracks at their cost.  The militia dealt with them immediately, I'm pleased to say.

The third came from the north, trying to sneak in through our main gate.  Arbalest spotted him from his position at the catapult, but the catapult wasn't much use against the thief at such a range.  Willow came and alerted everypony, and the militia rushed out to deal with the invader.  In the confusion, Hickory lost track of her foal Sienna, which the thief scooped up and fled with.  My heart sank, as I was sure the thief woud escape with the filly, but Halberd's troops reached him just in time.

Glaive was injured in the fight, but Panacea tells me he'll be fine.  I hope so, Hickory was in tears as they brought Sienna back, and I would hate for their heroism to have come at a greater cost.

Yep, that stupid thief just about got away.  2 steps further and he'd have been scott free.  I thought for sure that I'd lose my first child ever to a snatcher, but Halberd and company did me proud.

Note that this is Hickory, not Virtue.  Dwarf Fortress doesn't give good variety in pony color apparently.  And that's Sienna, not Schootaloo, heh.

Panacea's Diary - 17th Timber, 253

I suppose we've been pretty lucky to have been out here for three years now with as few injuries as we have.  Aside from Halberd's wound, I haven't had much to do, but the thieves seem to be determined to change that.

Glaive was wounded while saving a foal from one of the thieves, and I'm afraid it's actually pretty bad.  The dagger severed a nerve in his leg, and he says he lost feeling in most of it.  It was hard for me to tell him that it was likely permanent.  He seemed pretty upset at first, but after talking about it a bit, he calmed down a bit.  He'll walk again, but it's going to take some getting used to.

He should be proud of himself though.  Being wounded while saving the life of a foal, he's a hero if I've ever met one.

Virtue's Diary - 8th Moonstone, 253

After the attacks from the thieves last month, I've stepped up construction of our curtain wall.  It's still only about half completed, but it's getting there.  Mortar, Chisel and Saw Dust are busy cutting rock blocks for the wall.

The wall can't get completed soon enough.  Some diamond dog thieves showed up yesterday and tried to make off with some of the gems in our stockpile.  Fortunately, Halberd and the militia caught up to them in time to drive them off.  I didn't watch the battle, but I understand that two of the thieves were slain.  Nopony was seriously hurt, but Halberd got nicked in the tail by a dagger.  I doubt he'll even see Panacea about it.

Virtue's Diary - 9th Moonstone, 253

Something pretty terrifying happened this morning.  While stripping more marble from deep within the quarry, Diamond Shard saw a monstrosity lingering in the caverns below.  The order to seal them off has gone forgotten at the bottom of my stack of papers, so I was worried it would wander up to the surface.  Diamond Shard said that she only saw it a distance through a small opening into the cavern, and she doesn't think there's any way for it to get to us.  I pray that she is right.  Nevertheless, the moment the wall is completed, we will be walling off the caverns below.

Just a vomit man, a few axe strikes and it would probably go down.  I didn't realize forgotten beasts could show up at less than 80 ponies though... probably should get on sealing off the caverns ASAP.

Edit: Typos, argh
Edit2: Added illustration and fixed a name.  It was Hickory's foal, not Willow's.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:40:32 pm by Telgin »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »

Lol, i've gotten FBs at 20 dwarves. As far as I know, totally random.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »

Keep the great work up Telgin! I haven't stopped watching!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »

Lol, i've gotten FBs at 20 dwarves. As far as I know, totally random.

Yeah, reading around it looks like that's how it works.  I suppose DF is letting me know that I'm willing to play with fire by digging down that far, I'd best expect to get burned.  Fortunately I'm pretty sure Dof can't get to me, but I've thought that before...

Quote from: The Master
Keep the great work up Telgin! I haven't stopped watching!

Thanks!  Between Dawnpick and Glitterglen I've been spending more time with DF and ponies than my graduate research.  Probably not a good thing, hehe.  Anyway, another quick update:

Virtue's Diary - 25th Moonstone, 253

Another new pony entered the world today.  Ocean Breeze gave birth to her first foal this morning, a unicorn filly she named Peridot.  With her, our little community has grown to a total of 69 ponies.  I'd have never believed we could grow so much in just three years, much less thrive with so many.  I feel bad that we still don't have proper housing for everypony, but I think overall we've done reasonably well out here.  Perhaps the king didn't make a mistake when he chose me to lead our expedition after all.

12th Opal, 253

Longshot stopped by my office around lunchtime today.  I was worried he was going to complain about the lack of a town hall still, but he merely passed me a production request.  He asked to have some of our raw gems cut, which seemed fairly reasonable.  They're taking up a lot of space in our stockpile, and getting them cut and useful wouldn't be a bad idea.

I spoke with Quartz and asked her to go ahead and set up a jewelry shop along the wall behind my office.  She was pretty excited to get to work doing what she does best, and trotted off immediately to set to work.

In other news, Pewter stopped by my office this afternoon to let me know that the ten steel chanfrons that Halberd requested for the militia had been forged and issued out.  It's reassuring to know that they will soon have some decent protection when they are called to battle again.  I know it is just a matter of time.

Naginata's Diary - 12th Opal, 253

Pewter finished our chanfrons today, which is a good start toward a decent set of barding.  I went ahead and requested a set of ten steel peytrals for us, which would go a long way toward protecting the most vital parts of the body.  She looked upset.

Turns out that she misplaced her peytral template and will have to make a new one or wait for the liaison to show up with one.  It's frustrating, but I suppose nothing can be done about it.  I just hope she's fast about it.

Yeah, DF screwed me and decided that my civilization couldn't make hard peytrals.  Fortunately, Nidokoenig was kind enough to post a solution to that problem, but I'll have to work it into the save to get it fixed.  For now, no peytrals for anypony.  :(

Virtue's Diary - 24th Opal, 253

Another pony has been taken by a strange mood today.  This time it was Corkscrew, the pump operator who arrived with the last group of immigrants.  She's taken one of our forges and is currently running about, snatching up a little of everything she can get her hooves on.  At least she seems to be finding what she needs.

This reminds me that we've not seen anything else of the abomination below the surface.  I'd like to think that it wandered off and will not trouble us, but that's just wishful thinking.  We must be careful to not breach a path for it to reach us.  I wonder now if there is some connection... perhaps these lands are cursed with dark magic.

5th Obsidian, 253

Corkscrew finished what she was working on today.  She made a pretty impressive weapon rack that she calls "Machinehair the Lovely Gate."  She couldn't explain the name or why she decided to make a weapon rack, and offered to haul it off to the barracks.  I'm sure Halberd will find another weapon rack useful with nine other ponies under his training.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2011, 12:13:35 am »

One. Not in range. Useless I. Catapult bigger need we.

New plans.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2011, 04:51:06 pm »

Wrong thread woops
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:30:53 am by UnHerpers »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2011, 11:42:30 pm »

No, I haven't forgotten this thread.  I just edited a post above to add in a new illustration I thought was deserved (I can't just draw the bad things, right?), and fixed the fact that it was Hickory's foal and not Willow's that was taken.  A quick check while looking for pony descriptions pointed that out right quick.

Anyway, will probably be updating again tomorrow.  I have another illustration for something that happens next. :)

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:39 pm »

Oohh, tasty new art awesomeness.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 239