Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225390 times)

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »

I sorta hoped for the savagery to be maximum for hilarity that ensues with psychologically broken ponies

!!URIST MCPONY HAS BERSERKED!!
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure that'll happen sooner or later.  I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing different this time, but my ponies are making so many more friends than in my last pony fort.  Maybe it's the above ground embark going slower and giving them more time to laze around in the dining hall.

Once the first siege offs a few ponies, that alone might be enough to this into My Little Disaster.  We'll see!

By the way, if you still want to claim a pony there's a few masons you can choose from (Chisel and Mortar I recall off the top of my head).  Or you can rename / repurpose somepony else.  I'll try to get an available pony list ready alongside my update tonight.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 01:55:45 am »

Pony list will have to come later.  The picture took way longer than I expected it to.

Falcata's Diary - 14th Obisidian, 253

Our outpost liaison showed up today.  I expected to meet with him like last year, but it turns out that since Longshot is our mayor now, that's his job.  That's fine with me, I'd probably end up just tell him the same thing as last year: bring food.  We're getting a lot more self sufficient though, so maybe Longshot requested something else.

Speaking of the pony, I've seen Willow following him around a lot lately.  I wonder if there's anything going on between the two?

I was a bit... shocked... when Longshot sent a production order to the forges for a golden trinket of some sort.  I hope he knows we don't have any gold ore.  I can't imagine why he'd want it anyway.

Yeah... time to set up a jail I suppose.  Or if I don't have a captain of the guard, will the crime just go unpunished?

16th Obsidian, 253

I feel sick.  Falcata was very badly wounded today, and Panacea doesn't know if she is going to live.  I feel terrible... if we'd finished the wall by now, or had a decent set of barding for our militia, this would have never happened.  I didn't want to see the battle, but I was walking out of my office right as it happened.  Two more of those cursed badger pony thieves bypassed our incomplete wall and were wandering toward the dorms.  Halberd spotted them immediately, and the entire militia ran off to engage them.

I was trying not to look at this point, but I couldn't help it.  The first thief went down almost instantly, but the second was a lot more tenacious.  He stabbed Sarissa in the hoof with his dagger before a precise strike from Halberd spilled his guts.  Beyond belief, it found the strength to strike out again, catching Falcata in the side with its dagger and spilling blood everywhere.  Naginata finished it off with a buck to the head, but the damage was done.

I don't think I've ever seen anything so horrible.  Falcata stumbled a few steps, clutching at the wound in her side and making the most pitiful hollow gasps I've ever heard.  I don't think I'll ever forget her expression... the panic at being unable to breathe... and choking on blood.  She started coughing it up everywhere, and by this time I was running, screaming for Panacea.

I found the pegasus inside the hospital where she was supposed to be, and as Splinter helped Falcata inside, Panacea all but shoved us out the door and ordered us not to come in until she said so.  That was hours and hours ago.  I now regret building my office next to the hospital, I can hear her still working on poor Falcata.  If that pony survives... I... I don't know what I'll do.

At least the rainbow pony caravan that showed up later took out the third thief, lurking outside our drawbridge entrance.  Their bolts flushed it into one of the traps Flux set up, and at least the trap did its job.  I asked Halberd to get somepony to clean up the mess, I don't even want to think about it right now.

That was pretty lucky actually.  Only 3 traps in the whole map and he blundered into one, got his guts spilled then sliced off.  Good riddance.

17th Obsidian, 253

Panacea came to me this morning, covered in blood and clearly fighting to stay awake.  She told me that she thinks Falcata will live.  It's still too early to tell, but her odds look fair.

I feel tremendously relieved, but I also still feel guilty.  If I was managing this place better, she would have been protected from that.  I've sent out orders immediately for more barding for our militia.  It can't come soon enough.

I heard that Naginata gave birth this morning too, to a pegasus colt named Verdant Flash.  Panacea was exhausted from the effort, I'm sure.  She said the stress from the fight brought on early labor, which makes sense.  I think I need to speak with Naginata about resigning from the militia.  She has a family now, and I don't want her to leave them in a tragic manner.  And if she's willing to charge into combat, heavily pregnant as she was, it's only bound to turn bad sooner than later.

Finally got the hard peytrals fixed so that this hopefully won't happen again.  I thought she was a goner, but Panacea is one of the best doctors I've seen.  Jumped right to it and sewed her lung right up, hehe.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:59:32 am by Telgin »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 02:18:32 am »

Flux' Journal, Obsidian 16

Those damned badgerpegasi!  Everypony's been busting their flanks to try to get this wall up, but we're still too slow.  A few got in through an incomplete section.  The militia rushed out to handle the bastards, but one hurt Falcata severely; got her in the chest with a dagger apparently.  The Rainbow Caravan showed up not long after and flushed a third thief into one of hte traps that had been set.  At least I know my trap design works, even if it's a bit messy.

I don't know how Falcata's doing.  She looked real bad before being taken to the hospital.  I hope Panacea can help her.

Obsidian 17

Panacea said that Falcata should survive and even make a full recovery!  The military really needs to get full sets of barding, so I really need to hurry up on smelting steel!  I'd like to see some steel blades in the traps, but they definitely are behind finishing protecting the military in terms of priority.  We need to finish the wall first before the traps can really be effective, anyhow.

I can't help but giggle a bit whenever guts get severed and sail off in an arc.  It's like having their guts spilled isn't bad enough, banish the guts to the moon!
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2011, 11:20:18 pm »

Yes, I giggled too when it happened.  I was mostly shocked that he stumbled onto the trap, but that was a nice bonus.

17th Granite, 254

Some good news today.  Falcata was released from the hospital this morning.  Panacea said that she had healed remarkably well, and she seemed to be in good spirits.  She hurried off to the barracks as soon as she was released to speak to everypony.  I was pleased to see that the first few peytrals I'd ordered were completed, and they happily bestowed the first to her.  I hope she won't need it, of course, but we can't take any chances.

1st Slate, 254

I'm growing a bit worried about Sarissa.  She was injured in the same fight as Falcata, and Panacea still hasn't seen fit to release her from the hospital.  Her hoof was injured in the fight, and the cut has become infected.  I feel pretty bad about it, since Panacea has urged me more than once to get some soap made.  It's little consolation to the two, but I immediately had an ashery and soaper's workshop set up.  Detergent made a few blocks of soap, that were rushed off to the hospital.

It may be too late to help Sarissa's infection, but maybe we won't see any more.  I'm sure she'll be alright.  If Falcata could survive what happened to her, this should be nothing.

In other news, I've heard a few other ponies talking about how drab this place is, and I think they're right.  We have a lot of stone left over in the quarry that's not really doing much, so I had Kiln make a few statues out of some of the gabbro.  I think they turned out nice.  I didn't ask her to make anything in particular, but I was quite surprised to see she made one of me!  It looks wonderful too, although I think she made me a bit too stocky, but I'm not going to say anything about that.  I do wonder why she has me holding up a bin though.

20th Slate, 254

While I was talking with Harvest Moon over a little strawberry wine, I happened to be watching Halberd lead his squad through some drills.  A few of them are soldiers proper, but the rest are pretty green from what he tells me.  You wouldn't have known that by watching them.  Seeing them spar and dance around in the gleaming steel armor they now wear, you'd think they were professional soldiers.

He has them doing drills pretty regularly now, and I feel that much safer knowing that they're watching our backs.  The wall is coming along quite nicely now too.  There is still a bit of a gap in the southeast, but that's right by the barracks, so if anything sneaks in, it probably won't make it far.

I've been wondering about getting a squad of marksponies together though.  I'm sure that would go a long way toward bolstering our defenses.  Even better, Longshot is a pretty amazing shot, so he could probably show a few volunteers the ropes.  I'll have to speak with him about it the next time I see him.  And break the news to him that we haven't found any gold, so he's going to have to go without his trinket.

I'm a doofus.  I've had the military training schedule set up for years, but had them on the wrong alert.  So they've been doing nothing but individual combat drills this whole time.  A few are up to skilled in axe user, but I still feel pretty stupid.  Better late than never, eh?

28th Felsite

I'm growing very worried about Sarissa.  I was talking with Panacea this morning, and she informed me that the pony's hoof isn't getting any better.  Even after cleaning the wound several times with soapy water, the infection hasn't really improved.  Thankfully Sarissa doesn't seem to be getting worse overall, but being cooped up in the hospital all day has her depressed.  I don't think she has any friends here in Dawnpick, although I've seen Halberd checking up on her occasionally.  Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow and see how she's doing.

Speaking of Halberd's squad, we now have a crypt completed for them.  I haven't told any of them about it, because it's pretty morbid to think about having a tomb while you're still alive, but I want to make sure that if something terrible does happen to one of them, that their sacrifice doesn't go unremembered.  Their coffins are all arranged together in the same room, and I'm having a few more statues made to commemorate them.

I got confirmation from Billows today that we also finished making a set of cruppers for everypony.  That's one more piece of metal between our gallant soldiers and danger, and I know it makes them feel better.

I don't know what's up with Sarissa's hoof.  I've seen infections in DF, but she just doesn't seem to be healing.  I'm going to be pretty ticked if she dies from having her hoof stabbed by one of those stupid thieves.

JaxtalMK2

• Bay Watcher
  • The gamer is in
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2011, 02:27:05 pm »

Man I really want to join in on this, but i suck at writing  :'(. Ah well I'll just watch for now.

P.S. this is my first forum post... cool!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:29 pm »

Oh, don't worry about that.  If you change your mind and want to claim a pony, there is now a list in the first post in a spoiler tag of all 71 ponies currently in the fort.  Names and professions are just placeholders if anyone wants to change them.

JaxtalMK2

• Bay Watcher
  • The gamer is in
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »

Well in that case can I take glyph? The name is fine but I'd prefer a swordspony.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »

Ok, Glyph is yours.  Unfortunately, the mod doesn't allow ponies to make swords.  I'm not sure why Nidokoenig took them out, but I forgot to put them back in before genning this world, and I don't think there's anyway to change that now. :(  I can take a look though.

I already have a squad of 10 axe ponies, but I can start a new squad with Glyph.  Any secondary weapon preference?  I was planning a spear pony squad, but I'm open to suggestions.  I also need to start on some marksponies, but that's not even close to what you wanted.

JaxtalMK2

• Bay Watcher
  • The gamer is in
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2011, 05:55:02 pm »

Axes are okay then, I have a hard time seeing an earth pony wielding a spear. One question what exactly do diamond dogs look like?
Oh and can you make an avatar for me too please?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2011, 06:09:25 pm »

Ok, axepony it is.  I may make a new squad for him or may just replace Sarissa since she appears to not be healing...

And sure, I'll get an avatar whipped up for you soon.  Possibly tonight.

As for the diamond dogs, this should help: Diamond Dogs

JaxtalMK2

• Bay Watcher
  • The gamer is in
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2011, 06:13:23 pm »

Ah thanks, I've really got to watch that show at some point. It seems quite... fun.Not to mention all the stuff I'm seeing about it on the internet.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2011, 11:50:17 pm »

Yes, you really should watch the show. :)  I can't really recommend any particular episode to start on, so I'd just say start at the beginning of the first season and work your way through.  Glyph's avatar and in game description in the spoiler tag below.  I took a little liberty in his hair color like I did with Flux, otherwise he'd look a little silly.  I still have the original unmerged image if you want any adjustments.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtue's Diary - 2nd Hematite, 254

Mostly military matters today.

While eating some turtle soup lunch in the dining hall, Glyph came to me.  He told me that he's been bored out of his mind working on the walls all day, and asked if there was anything more exciting he could do.  He suggested joining the militia.  I wasn't so sure at first, since we've got a nice round number of ponies for our axe squad already, but I know we're going to need more sooner than later so I gave in.  I didn't say anything about it, but I'm considering the real possibility we may need a replacement for Sarissa.

For now though, I sent the paper work off to Halberd.  I'm thinking about breaking the militia up into two smaller squads.  One under him, and one under Naginata, since she's the second in command.  I'll leave the details up to Halberd though.

Otherwise, another bunch of those... Crundles, I think they've come to be called... were spotted in the mines today.  We clearly missed a spot in the walls down there somewhere that let the little things through.  I was pleased to hear from Halberd that they were all handled with little difficulty.  As before, the miners kept them busy until the militia arrived.

Glaive got a nice chunk bitten out of his ear and a few other scratches besides.  Halberd told me he's fine otherwise, thank goodness.  It's good to hear he's getting around fine, despite his leg.

5th Hematite, 254

While I was checking up on the progress of our steel production, I found out that yet another pony has been claimed by a strange mood.  This time it was Castiron, who was shouting for somepony to bring him some leather to one of the forges.  Unfortunately, we didn't have any leather available, so I asked Alum to set one up.  She's been working at doing that all day, so hopefully she'll get some leather tanned in short order.  I'm not sure I want to find out what happens if he doesn't get what he needs.

I also heard from Billows while I was out there that Carmine won the last mayor election.  Longshot didn't seem too put off by it, I think maybe being mayor wasn't his idea in the first place.  That reminds me that I should probably find something productive for him and Indigo to do rather than just help haul stuff around.  I also took another look at setting up a town hall, but it's still going to have to wait for the wall to be finished, which probably won't happen for some months yet.

19th Hematite, 254

As it turns out, my fears were unfounded and we got some leather to Castiron the next day.  He spent the last few days working hard at his project, which he revealed this afternoon.  He put together a pig iron grate that he named "The Bird of Conjuctions."  Just like the others, he couldn't really explain where the idea or the name came from, and hauled it off to our main stockpile.  I wish he hadn't used up any of our pig iron, but our defense plans will eventually include a moat, so perhaps we'll get some use out of it then.  We've got plenty of magnetite still underground, so we can replace the pig iron.

Hickory gave birth to her second foal today, a unicorn filly she named Amber.  The name was quite appropriate, I thought, and she is perhaps the most active little newborn I've ever seen.  I just hope she never has to go through what Sienna did.  I hope nopony does.

Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:15:52 am by Telgin »

JaxtalMK2

• Bay Watcher
  • The gamer is in
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2011, 11:58:07 pm »

Awesome pic, although i like the idea of scarlet hair just not striped.
 And I would chose a fat pony wouldn't I.
 Where should I go to see the episodes it seems like that wold be good when there's nothing on, and it's on  every channel

ah so that's how you do color

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2011, 12:39:29 am »

Thanks.  I did a quick recolor job of Glyph with a red mane if you'd rather use it:

He's currently an axe pony under Naginata.  I split my other squad into a squad of 6 under Halberd and a squad of 5 under Naginata.  Now to get him a weapon and some armor made.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 239