Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225534 times)

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Bay Watcher
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2011, 05:52:03 am »

Thats it I'm claiming Ashwood
((Telgin darn you. You ruined my plans for Ashwood finding his Journal after he'd almost forgot about it! Still doing it though.))
[Will edit in picture when I know how]
(Writen in a scrible near the top) Trees! Trees! God I love Trees!... Not enough trees
Ashwood's Journal 21st Sandstone.
Been busy lately cutting down all the new saplings havn't had much time to write.
Also: Yay! For me finding this journal its been something like FOUR YEARS since I saw it.

Wings are so annoying sometimes, like last week I was outside (still somehow) cutting down trees when a fog decended on our fort I found out fog is some kind of cloud and was trapped for hours until the fog lifted. From now on if I see fog I don't even care if cutting down that tree will save the fort I'm going inside
Ahhh, yes... Killing the ecosystem of a other planet and burn the product as fuel... Simply brilliant 

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2011, 06:29:14 am »

Cool, welcome to the herd!  Sorry about the journal thing, I'm just glad poor Ashwood finally got some love.  I almost forgot he existed.  Poor pony.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2011, 03:57:08 am »

And finally, I have a chance to update.  Nothing much interesting, but I've got KingStrongbeard's avatar ready.  Here's the avatar selection, you can pick which one wou want.  Also, here's his description, and his friends.  I made three different avatars to pick from, just choose the one you like best.  Only took a few minutes to change it, so don't fret over that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtue's Diary - 9th Timber, 254

Any fears I had about Barley not getting everything he needed were unfounded, and he finished what he was working on today.  He made a leather shield, which I suppose is more useful than a lot of other things he could have made.  I'll let Halberd and Naginata decide if they want to use it somehow, or if he should just keep it.  He calls it "The Touch of Leaves", which is an interesting if not wholly appropriate name.

18th Timber, 254

I'm happy to report that Fuscina left the hospital today.  She seems to be getting along just fine, and when Billows presented her with her new set of steel greaves, she even cracked a smile.  Hopefully nopony in the militia will be heading back to the hospital with broken legs anytime soon.  We'll be getting started on some mail for them right after they've all got greaves.  There will be plenty more smelting to do, and I'm torn on whether or not we should focus on the gate or equipping our militia.

I'm also glad to hear that the town hall is far enough along that Carmine and Ocean Breeze can move in.  That frees up a regular room for somepony else, and we're one step closer to having a proper meeting place for any diplomats or our liaison.

21st Timber, 254

It took her a little while, but poor Falcata left the hospital today.  I don't think I've ever seen her so happy, when I stopped by to see Panacea yesterday, Falcata looked like she just might go explode if she had to stay in there another day.  I'm glad she's doing better.

22nd Timber, 254

It's been a while since we spotted any diamond dog thieves, but one was spotted near our old wood stockpile.  Halberd and Naginata both brought their teams along to run him off, but that's all they managed to do.  He was sent scurrying for the hills, and with their new armor the militia just weren't quite fast enough to catch him.  At least he didn't hurt anypony, but he'll probably just head home and bring friends.

At least we're preparing for the worst, if that ever comes to pass.

On the lighter side of things, we've got a fair amount of stone quarried up and not much to do with it, so I had the masons start laying down some roads.  That should help keep everypony's hooves from aching by sunset every day.

13th Moonstone, 254

The town hall is finally finished, after how long in hiatus?  I should probably feel ashamed for letting it lapse this long.  At least it's finished now, and we've got a few statues set up to liven the place up just a bit.  Even another one of me, although I swear I didn't request it!

Anyway, I've got the carpenters busy again.  We'll be setting up some more bedrooms in the northeast corner of the fort, using the existing wall as a foundation.  That should speed construction up a good bit, so hopefully a third of our population won't have to hotbunk for all that much longer.  One more thing I should be ashamed of, I suppose, that some have been here for years without a proper room.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:00:20 am by Telgin »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2011, 04:33:57 am »

Flux' Journal, Timber 18

I wrote a while ago that the military was almost done being outfitted, but it looks like I was wrong.  I guess that's why I'm not in charge, Journal.  Anyway, things have been pretty quiet.  I've just been smelting as much as I can and doodling more devices in my spare time.  I've come up with a few that are very strange, but they might work.  Gotta get the gate finished first, though.  And I gotta get back to smelting.  We're a fairly small town, but we are so very steel hungry.  Gotta keep us fed!
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2011, 09:19:14 pm »

Glaive's Journal 9th Timber, 254

Barley has finished the thing he's been working on. It's a marvelous steel studded leather shield. He put an image of the founding of Dawnpick on it, and calls the shield the Touch of Leaves. Considering the amount of tree cutting that had to be done to get Dawnpick set up it seems like an appropriate enough name. The shield has been gifted to the militia to use, but neither of our captains are unicorns, they can't use a shield. Well not at the same time as a weapon like a pony with magic could. I wonder who they'll assign it to.

18th Timber, 254

Fuscina is out of the hostpital. That's always good news, but even better the militia is starting to get some more steel armor.

22st Timber, 254

A thief was spotted today. We gave chase but couldn't catch him, this new armor is heavy and having it around our legs tired us out to quickly. Nopony was hurt, but I feel that each escaped thief just makes us look weak to enemy encouraging more raids. Less armor would make us faster, but we've had too many injuries as it is. Hmm, perhaps a small additional squad of lightly armored ponies with crossbows could be used, for times when a quick response is necessary. Pegasi can cover even more distance faster, so maybe some kind of pegasus airforce could work. I'll talk it over with Virtue later.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:21:19 pm by KingStrongbeard »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2012, 03:09:57 am »

Virtue's Diary - 25th Moonstone, 254

Not too much has been happening in the past few days, so I had a moment to chat with a few members of the militia and see how things were going.  Morale seems to be pretty high lately, especially now that everypony is pretty much covered in a nice set of steel to keep them safe.  We have just a few more boots to finish, but after that a set of mail shirts all around and they'll be set.  They should be pretty much invulnerable to a thief's dagger with that armor, and hopefully if we do see anything bigger they'll be up for it.

Glaive had a few things to say about that though, and I think he's right.  We've had a few thieves escape because they couldn't catch up, and even though they're getting used to the weight of the armor, they'll never be able to match the speed of a thief in cloth rags.  He also pointed out the fact that we don't have anypony trained to use a crossbow in combat, and I can't fault his logic.  Brook might still be alive if we'd had some marksponies in light armor ready to spring into action.

The problem is finding suitable recruits.  Longshot is an amazing shot with his crossbow, but I'm not sure if he would be willing to join the militia.  If he ever comes back up for mayor that's another issue.  We have a few ponies around who might be willing, perhaps I should ask for volunteers.  Or perhaps I could ask the liaison to send some more recruits.  We'll see how it works out.

Oh, and I noticed that Halberd gave the shield to Glaive.  When I asked the captain about it, he said that Glaive was the one who really earned it.  Saving the filly from the thief and being the only pony other than Stiletto who could use it, he was the natural choice.  I agree completely, he deserves it.  I just hope it helps prevent any more injuries for him.

27th Moonstone, 254

Not two days ago I was speaking with the militia about the thieves, and another shows up.  A diamond dog hopped into the trench we were digging for our moat and scared Marbles pretty bad.  He came running inside shouting and waving his hooves about a thief, and I didn't even have to do a thing.  Halberd and Naginata gathered their ponies and charged off after him, and despite our worries over not being able to catch him, the thief seemed to think it was a good idea to charge inside.

I hear Naginata put him down in an extremely painful manner.  I'm glad I wasn't there to see it in detail.

Naginata's Diary - 27th Moonstone, 254

I'm getting quite tired of these thieves.  Well, the badger pony thieves moreso than the diamond dogs, but I'm getting sick of both.  Yet another diamond dog showed up today, apparently thinking he'd get the jump on Marbles in our dry moat.  His mistake was following Marbles inside, where we met him and gave him what he asked for.

I just went for the first target that presented itself, but the rest of my squad seem to have been a bit put off by my tactics.  Well, they'll learn soon enough that you don't play with the enemy, and use whatever tactic presents itself.

Virtue's Diary - 28th Moonstone, 254

Flux told me today that we're once again out of marble up here near the smelters.  I forwarded that to our miners, who went back down to set back to work on the marble deep underground, and they found something a bit worrying.  Chic came back up, telling me that the marble is starting to get very warm, almost too hot to touch.  I'm not much of a miner, but when I asked Saw Dust about it, he confirmed that we must be digging near a magma pipe of some sort.  I immediately told Chic to be very careful and start mining elsewhere.  We can't take any chances with that.

13th Opal, 254

The militia was underground today, patrolling some of the paths near the caverns that are still open, and they found a pretty frightening monster down there.  Falcata came across a giant eye creature with several arms and an evil look to it.  I'm just thankful that it was so slow and cumbersome, the pegasus was untouchable during the fight if the rest of the militia saw it right.  None of them had a chance to land a blow before she finished it off.

Never seen an evil eye before.  I was worried it would tear her apart for all I knew, but she beat the crap out of it.

15th Opal, 254

While I was overseeing the construction of some more roads and bedrooms along the northeast side of the wall, I overheard that the militia found even more of those evil eyes underground today.  Falcata got surrounded by them, and from what I hear she fought them off like a mare possessed.  She slew several by herself before the rest of the militia arrived to help her out.

It didn't end there though.  On the way back up to the surface, they came across a large simian monster apparently called a blind cave ogre.  The entire militia surrounded the giant creature and brought it down without a single injury to the lot.  I'm growing worried though, the holes we're opening up to the caverns are turning up more and more frightening creatures.  The steel protecting the militia is doing a fantastic job, but the rest of us don't have that luxury.  I just hope an ogre doesn't stumble across Chic or Diamond Shard alone.

We really must get the caverns sealed up again.  On the surface though, we're making progress on the moat.  I've had Flux make some more mechanisms for a few screw pumps that he said we could use to divert the river to our moat.  We're uphill of it, so it's going to take some work, but it should help out a lot once it's ready.  Oh, and I have to break the news to Arbalest that we're going to have to move his catapult.  We'll keep it inside the moat though, I think.

Interestingly, Falcata is now an elite wrestler because she kept grappling and bucking the eyes instead of hacking them with her axe.  Turns out her axe was forbidden for some reason.  Had to unforbid half of the militia's axes.  What's up with that?  I've heard this happens when they get embedded in enemies, maybe I should pay closer attention.

17th Opal, 254

Golden Grains was the next pony to be taken by a mood.  One moment she was working the fields and the next she was trotting off toward the workshops.  We'll see what she ends up claiming, I hope it isn't something we can't provide for her.

24th Opal, 254

The miners were down in the marble quarry again today, gathering up plenty of the stone for making more steel.  At some point they heard the flapping of giant wings and some strange noises in general.  I worry if some of the monsters down there might have returned, but we haven't seen a thing of them yet.  I'll send the militia and some masons down immediately to check out the breaches into the caverns.  We should seal them up right now, before it's too late.

Hmm, flies and has noxious secretions.  That could be bad, it can probably escape the caverns unlike the last two FBs.  And they're probably still around too, I get the feeling I'm going to have some real problems in the near future.  :D

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2012, 08:14:29 am »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:23:52 pm by Omicega »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »

Flux' Journal Moonstone 27

Work continues on the new gate and the militia continues to show their dedication to all of us here.  Marbles was working on the moat when a diamond dog thief startled him.  The cheeky thief actually chased after him inside the walls where the militia was waiting.  Specifically, Naginata was waiting for it.  I don't speak diamond dog, but I think the meaning was clear form the context.  Very likely something along the lines of "OH SISTERS, THIS PONY BIT ME IN THE EYE!  WHY IS IT SHAKING ME BY MY POOR EYE, AAAGGHHH!  I am slain, blar."  Naginata is definitely not a pony to get mad, wow.

Opal 15

Definitely need to work on something to secure the caverns.  Falcata has been having fun with some of the nasty critters down there, but I'd still like to have something in place to defend the ponies hauling the marble and other components for steel.  Maybe some cage traps?  If we can tame any of those creatures, we might get some good beasts of war, or maybe just some new meat.  Or maybe... *The rest of the page is various scribbles of what might possibly be trap designs.*
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

JaxtalMK2

• Bay Watcher
  • The gamer is in
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2012, 01:35:23 pm »

Glyphs journal 8
I haven't written here for a while, I've been busy with my training, but something happened earlier that I just had to record. I am always amazed when I watch Captain Naginata fight, but this time, it was almost... scary. A diamond dog thief decided it would be a good idea to chase one of the ponies who was working in the moat right into the middle of the fort. I... I didn't even know you could shake something around by the eye like that. Maybe... maybe I will ask Naginata for some extra lessons, I need a whole lot of work before I can even hope to be good enough to fight beside her.

It's kinda fun having a character who has some hero worship going on. Telgin if you can, I wold like Glyph and Naginata to do some sparring or other training together. I don't know what you would have to do to do that, but if it would mess up what you're doing, just ignore me.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2012, 03:09:08 pm »

That's great Omicega!  After that fight, Falcata has some impressive combat skills (at least professional fighter, I think).  She'll be going places.

JaxtalMK2: I'll see if I can arrange something like that.  He's in her squad, so he should at least be getting demonstrations from her.  I don't think he's had any sparring sessions with anypony yet, but if I move him to a dedicated squad with Naginata that would help.  I'm pretty sure he's got the lowest skills of all the militia, understandable since he's the newest, so that wouldn't break the suspension of disbelief too much.

Khenal: I'm working on the gate, but I'm wondering something about your design.  How many z-levels do you channel out for the falls next to the traps?  Have you had any significant problems with friendlies falling down there and getting injured?

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:57 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:24:32 pm by Omicega »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2012, 05:15:55 pm »

Khenal: I'm working on the gate, but I'm wondering something about your design.  How many z-levels do you channel out for the falls next to the traps?  Have you had any significant problems with friendlies falling down there and getting injured?

I just go one z-level and then put whatever trap stuff I feel like in the hole.  I usually connect to the pit with a bridge that raises into a wall so that the pit can be cleaned/friendlies can be released.  Stuffing it with cage traps would probably be the most secure while maintaining minimal friendly casualties.  Just watch for any pony cages ;)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2012, 03:19:16 am »

So... can I claim a pony?

Also I’m kind of lazy so could anyone tell me how exactly does this thread work? Is this a "make it up as you go along fort" or is it following the exact events of a game while told from the prospective of said ponies?

Also I’d love to make some requests for my pony... I’d love to have to be a black Pegasus with a red mane. And a scary cutie mark like a sword or dagger or something around that area. Also can he either be a blacksmith, weapon smith, armor smith, miner or military personnel,and make a male (this being my 2nd biggest Requirement). plz get as close as possible to what I wan't but most of all, make sure he looks evil

also give him the name Jaxler
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:25:00 am by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2012, 04:06:34 am »

Right now this is just following along with the story from the perspective of the ponies.  That's a stark contrast to how Glitterglen is working now.  This is a more traditional community fort by my understanding, but is not a succession fort.  Basically, just follow the examples so far and post your pony's reactions to what I say happened in game.

I'll see what I can do about finding you a pony.  I should be able to find one close to that.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

Right now this is just following along with the story from the perspective of the ponies.  That's a stark contrast to how Glitterglen is working now.  This is a more traditional community fort by my understanding, but is not a succession fort.  Basically, just follow the examples so far and post your pony's reactions to what I say happened in game.

I'll see what I can do about finding you a pony.  I should be able to find one close to that.

thanks
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 239