Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225112 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »

I'll get to the update later today, hopefully with Wool (and Diamond Shard, if claimed for sure) avatars.  But first, a quick little thing between Flux and Stiletto.

Stiletto sits off to the side of the well, looking over toward the statue garden just in front of the dining hall.  Ponies were coming and going as usual, chatting about this or that.  All in all, a fairly typical day.  She stretches and lets out a small yawn, wondering what she would do for the rest of the day now that training was done.

Maybe she'd just sit her and relax for a change.  As long as Jaxler didn't come by and accost her again.  He seemed to have learned his lesson from the last time at least.  A small frown works its way onto her face as she thinks about the incident, and she idly rubs her eye.  The bruising had long disappeared, but it was still tender to the touch.

Oh well, what was done was done.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:16 pm »

"Ok, Flux.  You can do this.  Just go talk to her.  She's just a pony, like you.  Except for the armor.  And the weapon.  And the training.  Oh, and can't forget the wings and the horn."

I shake my head, trying to clear it.

"Oh Sisters, this isn't going to be easy..."

I try to approach nonchalantly, acting like I want a drink from the well.  Anypony paying even slight attention to me would see right through it as I ignore the well itself and instead try to talk to Stiletto.

"Um... Hey, Stiletto."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »

Stiletto looks up, a bit surprised to find anypony addressing her.  She looks over to see one of the furnace operators standing near her.  Flux, was it?  She didn't know most of the ponies outside of the militia very well.

"Oh, um... hello... Flux, is it?"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2012, 04:54:57 pm »

I stare at her momentarily before coming back to my senses.

'She... knows my name?'

"Er, yes!  I'm Flux, haha!"

'Stop acting like a foal!'

I again shake my head.

"Sorry, I just didn't expect you to know my name.  Um, how are you doing?"
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2012, 05:06:37 pm »

She makes a small smile.  "I could say the same... didn't think I'd be known by many ponies here."  Flux seemed awfully nervous.  It was a bit cute.

"Oh... and, um, I'm fine."  She nervously scratches her cheek, did he know about what Jaxler had done to her?  "How about you?"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2012, 05:15:21 pm »

"I'm doing alright, I guess.  Just smelting and designing traps.  Um..."

I nervously raise a hoof to point at her eye, hoping I'm not about to cross a line.

"Is... is that better?"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2012, 05:28:35 pm »

She looks a bit surprised and cautiously prods the skin around her eye, barely suppressing a wince.

"Oh, um, yes, it's much better, thanks.  Dr. Panacea said it was just bruised... is all."  She smiles nervously.  "Not a big deal...""

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:03 pm »

"Are... are you sure it's no big deal?  I, um, saw you drag him out the other day, and was a little worried."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2012, 05:51:22 pm »

"Oh... you saw that..."

She glowers in the direction of the dining hall.  "I still don't know what got into that stallion... I thought he was just drunk, but..."  She blows out her breath.  "I don't know."  She looks back to Flux and adds, "Oh, sorry... didn't mean to drag you into this.  I'm fine, don't worry."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2012, 05:55:24 pm »

"It's alright.  Just, um, if you ever need to talk to somepony...  Well, I'm never too busy to talk."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »

She looks Flux in the eyes for a few moments.  He was a nice pony, and she wished she'd taken the time to get to know the other ponies in Dawnpick a little better.  She was probably reading into this too much, but she wondered if maybe Flux was driving at a bit more than he was letting on... no, he was just being nice.

"Oh, um..."  She gives him a smile.  "...thanks."

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2012, 10:10:18 pm »

Alright, if anything interesting happens to him I'll do that.  Expect another update tonight or tomorrow.  For future reference, I'll probably be updating Dawnpick about once a week.  Just don't have time to do it much more frequently than that.

Mekboy, I'll convert Wool over to a doctor and get an avatar for you soonish.  Maybe tomorrow night, maybe Tuesday.  Akivara, if you want Diamond Shard (or anypony else), just let me know and I'll reserve them for you and get an avatar for you too.

If that's okay, then sure, I'll take her :)  Thank you

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2012, 01:12:50 am »

Okay, she's yours then.  Had some... stuff... come up that delayed me having time to play DF or make the avatars, so both coming tomorrow I expect.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2012, 02:56:59 am »

Apologies for the delays.  Been an emotionally draining week to say the least.  And things haven't been particularly interesting in Dawnpick as of late.  Got to move the story forward though.  Getting close to the siege trigger point, that should bring some Fun with it.  Anyway, new ponies:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtue's Diary - 2nd Granite, 255

I've been thinking for a while now that Panacea could really use some help in the hospital.  Things are a bit slow right now, thankfully, but the last thing we need is for a lot of ponies to get injured and have nopony to help her.  I passed word around that were looking for some help in the hospital, and the call was answered by Wool.  He came up to me while I was eating lunch and said he'd been interested in helping Panacea out on the side for a while until he got used to it.  I passed him off to her with a smile and I hope things will work out for him.

When I spoke to her later I found out she's got him doing some basic things, which I expected would be the case.  Learning to keep stuff clean, a few things about dressing wounds and stitching them.  There's only so much she can teach him without practice, and while I wish the best for him I'm not eager for that practice to show up.

Otherwise, our small guard unit is almost ready.  Partisan and Jaxler now have most of their armor ready to go.  All of that leather I bought off the last caravan is being put to good use in the form of some leather armor.  It won't stop a dagger I fear, but with some crossbows they should stand more than a chance against any petty thieves.

6th Granite, 255

Verdant Flash left the hospital today, which is a relief for all of us.  I overheard him telling his mom how much he liked Wool, which I think is a good indication that Wool will work out nicely with Panacea.  I think I'll move him off of field duty altogether.

When I spoke to Naginata about it, she told me that the orders for the mail shirts I put in were about halfway done.  With that under their plates, the militia should stand a great chance against the badger ponies if they ever show up in force.  Which I fear they will sooner or later.

24th Granite, 255

It came to my attention today that we've been out here for five years now, and the militia really haven't had a proper vacation.  They rotate some time off of course, but I passed word on to Halberd, Naginata and Partisan that they could all take a little time off.  I think they were resistant to the idea at first, but gave the option to the troops.  Some of them remain in the barracks training on their own, but I caught sight of Falcata and Glaive spending some time together out by the well.  I think they make a cute couple.

Spoiler: Falcata's Friends (click to show/hide)

Billows stopped by my office and let me know that the mail shirts were all finished today.  That's great news.  He also told me that we're out of steel bars again.  Not so good.  I spoke to Flux about scheduling some more smelting of the magnetite.  He seems to enjoy his work, but he spends a lot of time out at the smelters.  I did notice Stiletto talking with him out by the well earlier today.  I don't know if there's anything going on between the two of them, but I never try to discourage a new friendship in Dawnpick.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get them to friends yet either.  Still working on it.  Dang ponies won't submit to my relationship meddling.

1st Slate, 255

The miners overheard something huge rustling around in the caverns today while they were picking away at the marble deep beneath the earth.  We haven't had problems with anything lage and nasty finding its way up yet, but I told the militia and everypony to be alert nonetheless.

Speaking of which, I'm glad to say that the moat is coming along nicely.  We've got some holes to patch, which is unfortunate, but it's the best we can do.  I'll see about getting the masons on doing that as soon as they can.

12th Slate, 255

After we reshuffled the militia and bumped Partisan up to captain, the old tombs I had laid out for them don't really work any more.  I had the miners dig out a few new rooms for some more tombs and had some extra coffins laid out.  Each squad now has their own room and a coffin for each soldier.  I still don't like the thought of doing this while the soldiers are still alive, but it pays to be prepared, even in the worst case.

The underground crypt with coffins for each militia member and the fortress guard.  The coffins on the left side are for regular schmucks who bite it, which so far is only Babbling Brook.  Can't believe that.

In less morbid news, a few more bedrooms have been set up and we've started on a keep of sorts.  I hope it'll never come to that, but it will serve as a last line of defense in case of a large attack, and if Jaxler doesn't straighten up, as a jail house.  At least I haven't heard anything else unfortunate happening from him, which is reassuring at least.

13th Slate, 255

Yet more strange sounds from the caverns.  It's good to know our attempts at walling them off have proven successful so far.  Nevertheless, the miners are all getting quite nervous about heading down there, and I don't blame them.  We've got a nice stock of magnetite, marble and slate up here, so maybe we won't have to send them back down any time soon.

22nd Slate, 255

Glaze gave birth this afternoon to her second foal; an earth pony colt she named Granite.  She went into labor down by the stills and had to be rushed to the hospital.  Panacea said that the colt was pretty weak and maybe a bit preterm, but he should live and be fine.  I think the name fits him well, he's gray as the stone and while he doesn't have a lot of spirit in him, I'm sure he'll pull through.

His sister seemed pretty excited though.  With him, we're now at 73 ponies in Dawnpick.  I'd have never expected our little settlement to grow this large.

23rd Slate, 255

Spool was taken by a mood today.  She slowly plodded over to our clothier's shop and started fetching things to start to work on something.  I'm not sure what she'll make, but so far these strange moods haven't produced a whole lot of much value.  Mostly a lot of oddities, but I suppose it adds to the history of this place.  She doesn't seem to be having any trouble finding the things she needs, so I'm not too worried.  Taking over the clothier's shop doesn't hamper us much, thankfully.

26th Slate, 255

Spool set to work on her mystery today.  I'm pretty interested to see what it'll be, I hope she doesn't do something silly like make a sock out of all of the things she gathered, but one way or another I supose what will happen will happen.

28th Slate, 255

Yet another strange sound in the depths.  Only Powder Miner was down there this time, and he came trotting back up telling of the things he heard.  Nothing new, so I told him it was fine and to go see if there was anything he could do to help with the moat.  I just hope we never have to go into the caverns for any reason... it must be getting crowded by now...

Yeah, I won't be opening up the caverns now.  Way too much dangerous stuff in there to deal with.  Unless it's strictly necessary, then I'll have to cook up a plan of some sort.

1st Felsite, 255

Well, I had to say a sock, because that's exactly what Spool made.  It wouldn't be so bad if she made a set of them, but a single sock doesn't do anypony much good.  Oh well, too late to complain about it.  She shrugged and took the sock with her back home, but I'm not quite sure what she'll do with it.

A sock.  Can't get much more dorfy than a sock.  Especially with all the doodads on it.

I almost forgot that we were working on getting some pumps set up down at the river to pump some water up to the moat.  Flux is overseeing the construction, but we're still short on a few components.  I hope it won't take too long, I think the moat will go a long way toward keeping us safe.  Especially with the gate trap system under construction again.  I just wish we had two of Flux, the poor pony is busy smelting magnetite, designing traps or setting them up pretty much all the time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:27:17 pm by Telgin »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:04 pm »

Ahahaha, a gemmed, wood-decorated, sock. With rings and spikes.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 239