Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225229 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:52 pm »

Boo smart. Need Boo. Need Boo help. How act Panacea? Boo real smart. He help. Need Boo. Where Boo?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 25, 2012, 02:15:24 am »

Update as promised!  Here's Grapple's avatar:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtue's Diary - 3rd Felsite, 255

Today turned out to be quite interesting.  A new pony wandered into Dawnpick this morning, wearing strange robes and hemming random ponies up while he went on at length about one thing or another.  I managed to avoid him, but from what I gather he's a preacher of some sort and is trying to convert ponies to worship of the Sisters.  As long as he doesn't cause too much disruption, I suppose it won't be an issue, and from what I hear from Harvest Moon he offered to help out at the fields.

I'll keep my eye (and Harvest Moon's eye) on him.  We've managed to get by with quite little trouble out here so far, and I hope he doesn't start some.

8th Felsite, 255

The miners are still uneasy about heading underground to do much, so instead I asked them to take some time and clear out the huge mound of dirt in front of Dawnpick.  Halberd thinks it's a security risk anyway, as somepony could maybe jump our moat from the hills.  A mishap would spell their doom, so I'm not so sure, but it is a bit of an eyesore.  All of the miners went off to work on it, and they made a fair bit of progress by the time I left my office this afternoon.

Powder Miner is now a talented miner... he'll be legendary before you know it!

10th Felsite, 255

Hickory gave birth early this morning, just after midnight.  She was the cutest little unicorn filly.  The parents named her Patina for her green fur.  Maybe she'll end up making bronze statues someday and live up to her name?  Either way, the parents will be taking a little while off to recover, which I gladly gave them.

13th Felsite, 255

A bit busy today.  A badger pony thief must have been stalking the caravans leaving Dawnpick, and the guard caught up this morning.  The shouting was pretty intense, but by the time the militia got there they found that the macepony guarind the caravan took care of the thief without a scratch.  We offered to get him checked up by Panacea, but he refused and soldiered off after the caravan.  Where there's one thief, there's another, so I took the opportunity to make sure all of the militia were back onto their regular schedules.  Partisan and Jaxler have been put on high alert in case another thief shows up.

Otherwise, around midday, Ocean Breeze gave birth to a pegasus filly the parents named Dizzy.  I'm not sure where the name came from, but she was an energetic little thing, and I'm sure she'll go far.  Ocean Breeze still hasn't returned to fishing, since we haven't had time to work on the enclosed pier in favor of finishing the moat, so she should have plenty of time with her new foal.  If it doesn't look like we'll get that done soon, I may offer her something else to keep her occupied.

I'm also happy to note that I saw Falcata and Glaive conversing some more out by the well.  They seem to be hitting it off very nicely now.  It's good to see the militia ponies getting along so well, I was worried that they'd all become grim and morose training and fighting so much.  I'm happy I was wrong!

Not lovers yet, but maybe one day!

17th Felsite, 255

Another tragedy struck Dawnpick just a few hours ago.  I'm very upset about this... I thought things were going well and that this would never have to happen again... but it has.

Two thieves attacked us this morning.  Chic and Powder Miner were busying themselves leveling the field out in front of Dawnpick when they struck.  Thank goodness the two of them managed to run in time.  Partisan and Jaxler flew out to engage the thieves, but while they chased one off, the other followed Chic back inside.  He cornered her in the trade depot while everypony ran for their lives.

I was leaving my office by this time, with all the commotion, and I saw Naginata leading her soldiers over to deal with it.  I could see they wouldn't make it in time.  It was thus I was totally shocked that Chic struck out with her pick, seriously wounding the thief and knocking him out with considerable skill.

Naginata's soldiers arrived then, and Kukri slew the thief with a single stroke of her axe.

I only wish the next thief had been dealt with so easily.

A third thief lurked outside the walls all day and just a few hours ago, using dusk as cover, he flew over the walls and tried to sneak into the houses against the east wall.  Barley must have been entering his home at that time... I didn't see it... but when they found his body, the thief had cut his head off.  The only other time I've felt such a combination of nausea, sorrow and wrath was when Brook was killed by the other thief.

Decapitated in a single swipe by a dagger.  Just as bad as a whip...

Partisan and Jaxler chased him off, flying after him into the moat.  Halberd and Naginata brought their ponies to the fight as soon as everypony could be roused, but the thief had a large headstart.  Partisan shot him a few times, from what he said, but the thief wouldn't go down.  It was only after Stiletto caught up to him by flying over the walls that he was stopped.  She tore his sorry hide apart, if Partisan's report is accurate.  I believe it is.

Jaxler was stabbed in the wing during the fight, somehow.  He's currently in the hospital, but Panacea doesn't think it's bad.  He should recover well.

I just feel sick about this... Barley was well liked by everypony here.  His fiance Sushi was devastated.  I thought of him fondly too.  He was also an amazing leatherworker and our best brewer.  I don't even want to think about replacing him right now.

Glyph was actually unhappy after this happened.  Guess they were good friends?  Not sure if you want to run with that or not.

20th Felsite, 255

We buried Barley yesterday.  The second pony to lose a life here in five years.  We must do something to strengthen our defenses.  The moat must be finished soon.  Maybe we need more for the guard?  I just don't know.

At least Jaxler has recovered and left the hospital.  Panacea said he'll make a full recovery very soon, and he's back to work training with Partisan.

1st Hematite, 255

The moat is finally coming together.  We have a few pumps built and we're working on getting an aqueduct set up to deliver water to the moat.  The problem there though is that there are holes in the natural channels that we'll have to patch, and I've diverted all of the masons to do just that.  It's going to take time, but we have to work as fast as we can.  Once we get that finished, at least we'll only have to defend a single point on the ground.  Maybe whenever somepony goes outside to cut wood or mine Partisan and Jaxler will have to go protect them.  I'll discuss it with them when I get a chance.

7th Hematite, 255

Marbles and Cinder came into my office today, with very troubled looks on their faces.  They say they caught a glimpse of the creatures in the caverns below.  Monstrous and twisted... but they didn't get a good look.  I'll send the masons back down to take a look at plugging any holes.  The moat can wait for that.

I'm not sure what the deal was.  The caverns are all well sealed and I verified that there's no way for any FBs to get to the surface.  They kept giving me spam in the mine's stairwell... maybe the bottom of the stairs is open somewhere I can't see.

After that, Arbalest came into my office.  He seemed troubled too and I wasn't surprised to find him mentioning the creatures too.  He wanted to set up another catapult down there to shoot at them though.  I'm not crazy about the idea, but if it gets rid of the monsters he's welcome to try.  I haven't sent the masons down there yet, maybe we can build a safe firing range for him somehow?

And I'm worried about that pony.  He was complaining of strange things and a headache, so I took him over to see Panacea.  She gave him some medicine, but he still seemed quite off.  I hope he doesn't become a danger to anypony.  Maybe I shouldn't give him a catapult afterall...

17th Hematite, 255

Fortunately, nopony else has come running to me about monsters below.  The masons are currently looking at setting up that firing range, but there don't seem to be any good locations.

In other news, Carmine's term as mayor ended today, and Alum took his place.  She's a friendly and outgoing pony, so I'm sure she'll do well.  Everypony seems to like her, and I think she's competent enough.

3rd Malachite, 255

Detergent gave birth today.  It was a cut little earth pony colt with blue fur, and the parents named him Azurite.  A fitting name I think.  I gave the parents some time off, but Detergent hasn't had a whole lot to do lately anyway.  She made some soap for the hospital recently, but otherwise she's mostly been minding her children.  I think giving her some time to recover is in order though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:39:43 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 25, 2012, 06:29:13 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:20:31 pm by Omicega »

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:06 pm »

Jaxler's journal.

4th Felsite, 255

I was sharing a drink with one of my drinking buddies and he told me that yesterday a new pony came to town and his name is Grapple. The pony apparently went around town ranting-on speaking about his religion. I think the he is affiliated with some kind of idol worship. I should probably keep my eye on him.

13th Felsite, 255

Another damned thief tried to rob us again. He was probably smart enough to realize that a caravan was loaded with riches, but he was dumb enough to attack an armored guard. By the time we got there the poor thing had been eviscerated.

14th of Felsite, 255

Today I shared a great conversation in the mausoleum with Falcata and Partisan. I was drinking with one of my palls then guy had a few too many bottles of rum when he told me that the extra rooms down in the mausoleum were for the militia. I decided to go down and take a look.
once down there I ran into Falcata. she seemed very angry to see me at first but we talked it out, turns out she's actually a nice pony. Half way trough our conversation Partisan decided to join in. Then  I wondered into me and Partisans room and I let slip my fear of death. I tried to regain my composure as quickly as possible, but I think partisan realized I was afraid.

17th Felsite, 255

Today was bad. I'm currently writing from the hospital. I'm personal ashamed about my performance today. we were doing routine training when we were told that our squad was deployed. Me and Partisan were sent out to kill a few thieves. partisan and I scared one off but wile we were doing so another thief cornered Chic.Thank goodness she was armed with an iron pick, because if she didn't have that pick I fear that she wouldn't have been able to avoid death. Naginata's soldiers showed up and were merciful enough to offer the creature a quick death.

A half hour wen't by and we dropped our guard, then third thief showed up and before anypony knew the thief even existed he snuck up on poor Barley and executed him in a single swipe. Partisan and I flew after the monster, partisan managed to get a few shots off and and and a few of them hit the murderer. I walked up to the injured monster, I assumed that the thief had been crippled and was going to kill him when he jumped up and stabbed me. I was fast enough to keep him from stabbing my neck but he did succeed in stabbing my wing and making it impossible to fly. I would have died if Stiletto hadn't shown up. After intervening she impaled the thief and sliced his hide apart. I'm disgraced that I had to be saved by a damned alicorn, and that we, the militia, allowed a civilian die in our place.

20th Felsite, 255

I just got released from the hospital, after they made sure I was healing and that my wing wasn't getting infected.Turns out I'll have an intimidating scare on my wing. They also buried poor Barley today. I wish I could have made it to his funeral. I decided to place some flowers on his tomb afterwards, it's the least I could do for failing to protect him.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:08:11 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 25, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »

Arbalest like hall. Hall have lot of booze. Boo tell Arbalest booze no good for thinking, but Arbalest leave thinking to Boo anyway.

Then white pegasus mare come in hall. Mare soldier. Boo would know name, but Boo not here. Arbalest miss Boo. Maybe pegasus know where Boo is? Or can remember bad unicorn who took Boo away. Arbalest talk to pegasus.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2012, 09:14:13 pm »

Missionary Log
Felsite, 255

It has been a long road I have walked. A long, Long road. Full of hardships and tests of faith, But with a prayer on my lips and the love of the sisters in my heart it has all been worth while.  At least it will. Hopefully.

My 17 month long trek is at an end in the settlement of Dawnpick. A fairly small walled town of about 40 or so ponies, its not that much smaller than the town I was born it. That was a long time ago though. I can't help but think back on what I was like back then, a brawler, a drunker, a thief and liar and -mer-  other bad things lets leave it a that. That was before the followers brought me in and showed me the true faith. 
Just as they opened my eyes to the true goddesses of the world, I will show these kind ponies as well!

From what I hear, they are plagued by thieves and bandits of all sorts.  Well, I can help more than there souls! I was quite the fighter in my day and though I'm a bit rusty right now I can still though a mean buck. I don't need to use any of there weapons or armor. Leave them for ponies who need them. All I need is what the sisters graced me with!
With the rays of Celestia's sun as my spear and sword!  With Luna's moon as my shield! My armor, the stars and rainbows of the sky!  None with evil in there heart can stand to the harmony of the faithful!

For now however, they have me tilling the small farms here. It's peaceful work, slow, like the gardens back at the temple.  I even have time to talk to the others here and spread the good word. Few if any seem to listen, but I will not be hindered on my holy task. After all, the book of harmony states 'A harmonious pony knows that the road is only traveled with one step at a time' (Rain 5:12). Perhaps I should ask the mare in charge here for permission to build a smell chapel. Virtue I believe her name was. A good name for a good pony. 

I must go now, for there is still much to be done! It is time once again to spread the love of the Two Sisters and the good news in The Book of Harmony!

Give that bitch some stone crafts, bitches love stone crafts.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2012, 01:59:30 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:20:24 pm by Omicega »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »

Boo always say "Be nice to mares. And stallions. And colts and fillies. Just be nice." Boo always smart like that. Arbalest miss Boo.

"Hi mare." Arbalest no remember mare name. But mare cute anyway. Arbalest like mares. Arbalest just not like evil unicorn. If only Arbalest could remember name.

"Catapult good. How..." Arbalest struggled to remember. What mare's job?

"How your job?" he settled for. Boo would approve.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:20:19 pm by Omicega »

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »

Glaive has had a rough day. Every injury and every death on his watch stings, and the recent beheading was no different. He'd been in the barracks all morning sparing with some of the less experienced recruits. He was desperately trying to take his mind off how the militia had failed Barley, how he'd failed him, but the newer recruits couldn't provide much interesting sparing and that was only worsening his mood.

He left training earlier than he normally would have and headed over to the dinning hall. Without taking in his surroundings he went and poured himself a pint of grog, and turned to survey the room. He saw Falcata talking to that blue unicorn stallion, he couldn't remember his name but knew he was the one that worked the catapult.

He took his drink and went to sit next to Falcata, he quickly kissed her cheek as he sat down and said to both of them,

"Afternoon. What are you two talking about?"

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2012, 04:42:20 pm »

Arbalest no good at thingy. Body thingy. That what Boo help Arbalest with. Arbalest think Boo say "Mare needs hug. She no feeling good." Arbalest no know why mare no feeling good. Arbalest just do what Boo say. Boo know more than Arbalest.

Arbalest hug mare. "Why you no feeling good?" he ask.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2012, 05:28:22 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:20:14 pm by Omicega »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2012, 05:32:07 pm »

Some times Arbalest really needed Boo. This one of those times. Boo know what to say.

Arbalest says nothing. No know what to say.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2012, 06:48:57 pm »

"Hi Glaive," she replies, perking up a bit. "Just talking about...well, today." Falcata finishes rather lamely, not really knowing how to phrase it.

"Ah, I understand. I was just over at the barracks, uh, working out some frustration. Anyway," Glaive turns to face the blue stallion in front of him, "who's your friend?"

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2012, 07:12:20 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:20:08 pm by Omicega »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 239