Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225256 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #2310 on: April 05, 2012, 10:34:05 pm »

She had planned on doing that... but after hearing the way he requested it, she thought perhaps that would be a bad idea.  "I... think perhaps it would be best if you had some time to... think about this... first."  She takes a cautious step closer to the the bars.  "...but I don't think we'll be holding you for the charges of theft..."
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:02 pm »

"let... me out... NOW!"
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: April 05, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »

Virtue recoils at the verbal explosion.  She backs away and shakes her head.  "No... no, I don't think that's a good idea..."  She thinks for a moment and fails to think of anything remotely good to say.  Perhaps they should just leave.. come back to see him tomorrow...

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:38 pm »

"LET ME OUT OF HERE SO I CAN PUT A GOD DAMNED HOOF SHAPED RESIGNATION LETTER THROUGH PARTISAN'S BUCKING HEAD, YOU SICK BASTARD!"

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:16 pm »

She backs away from him completely up against the cells at the far side of the hall.  "I... I'm sorry Jaxler... I..."  She takes a step toward the stairs leading back up.  "I... I'll let you three talk this through..."  She hurriedly makes for the exit, incapable of taking any more of this.  She hated to put Partisan and Kat through this... but they'd dealt with him before... on a regular basis.

They might have the nerves for this... but she didn't.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:24 pm »

"LET ME THE BUCKING HELL OUT OF HERE, YOU BUCKING COWARD!"

EDIT: I need to talk with Kat and Partisan.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:06:03 am by jaxler »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 06, 2012, 01:42:08 am »

If Kat or Partisan have anything else to say, feel free to.  I'll include the current scene in the next update.

Update, finally.  Not a lot of interesting stuff, but a bunch of new ponies:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtue's Diary - 17th Galena, 258

I don't know what to think.  Today, Kiln came to me, and admitted to me that she is a spy.  She actually told me that her name is Amor, and that her family has some claim to these lands.  She tells me that the lands are really ours, but I don't know what to believe.  She seemed to be concerned about my response, but if I'm honest I still don't know what to think.

At least she doesn't appear to be dangerous.  For now, I told her that she is free to remain in Dawnpick and to continue whatever work she can find.

I fear that this may one day escalate to conflict.  I dearly hope not, but if it does I don't know what I will do.  Today is one of those days that I really don't know if I have the strength to go on.  If I was given the opportunity to give this job to somepony else... to go back and live in Coupledye with my family as a nopony... I might would take it.

22nd Galena, 258

Today Copper Trim is officially a mare!  Detergent and Savory were happy to see their little filly start her first day working with Castiron and the other smiths.  She has always had a fascination of working with metal, and we've got tons of it for her to practice with.  Watching the young ones start their first days among the adults is always heartwarming, but I know she's going to be tired by the time the day is out.

20th Felsite, 258

Today was... stressful, to say the least.  Indigo came to me today with grievances against Stiletto, telling me about how she was corrupting everypony and flaunting our laws.  I admit that I don't feel the same way she does about family, but I don't think there is any reason to punish her for that.

Indigo insists that she be punished for the damage she has done.  I tried to talk him down, since she has already replaced the chair, but he was persistent.  He also asked for me to begin training civilians as reserves for the militia.  I don't think it's really needed, but if it's something to take his mind off of all of this then maybe it will help.  I just dearly hope I don't come to regret that decision.  I'll speak with Halberd privately later and ask him and Naginata to keep an eye on Indigo.

Stiletto came to me later today and we talked a bit.  She's a pleasant pony to speak with, and I really don't understand why Indigo holds such contempt for her.  Anyway, I told her what he plans to do, and she seemed to be as mystified as I was.  At least she didn't get consumed with anger, not that I really worried she would.

I just don't know what I'm going to do.  Jail time seems excessive for it, even if Panacea agreed that she was intimidated and frightened by her, a fine is the most I would think is appropriate.  Indigo isn't going to like that, I know.

Why must I be presented with these problems?  And worse, why can't I face them like a mare?

14th Limestone, 258

Glaze gave birth today to an adorable little pegasus filly that the parents named Violet.  I'm sure her siblings will be happy to have another join them.  Granite is still the only colt in the family, but he now has a pegasus sister to add to the little unicorns in his family.

24th Limestone, 258

I knew that Hickory couldn't be far behind Glaze, and she proved me right today by giving birth this afternoon.  She also gave birth to a little pegasus filly, who the family named Peony.  I was also happy to see her adult siblings among those present afterward.  It reminds me of just how far we've come in Dawnpick, and just how long we've been out here.

I can't help but wonder how long it will be before we see our first grandchildren born here.

6th Timber, 258

Early this morning Loom gave birth to her third son, a little unicorn colt the family named Heliotrope for his color.  As I always do, I gave the family some time off to recover and get to know the newest member of their little group.  I realized today with the town's newest member, we're up to ninety-nine ponies!  I'd have never believed we'd have so many out here in our modest little mining town, but nearly a third were born here.

I wonder who will be the magical newborn that pushes over the 100 mark?

I set the child cap to 25 at this point.  I won't be getting any new births for a while, not until a few foals grow up.  I've got room for them all, but finding work for the growing foals will be hard enough!

20th Timber, 258

We had a bit of an interesting development today.  A new mare arrived at Dawnpick this afternoon, and she calls herself Oil Macepony.  She was injured and doesn't speak much midpony, so we had a bit of trouble getting a complete story out of her.  I'll go by and see Panacea later and find out how she is doing.  Her wounds didn't seem life threatening at least, so she should be alright.

I had to reassign Spool to Oil Macepony, then back to Spool, then to Sweet Nectar, so the official explanation is that she did jack diddly for now.

18th Moonstone, 258

It's been a while since we've seen any Diamond Dogs around Dawnpick, but one showed up today and managed to sneak his way past the traps.  It's a very unnerving thing they've learned to do.  Regardless, Jaxler and Kat were right there to drive him away.  I didn't go chasing after them of course, but I hear they put him down somewhere in the hills just outside the north wall.  I know it won't matter though, there will be more soon.

28th Moonstone, 258

Seems I was right about the Diamond Dogs!  Another made its way inside today, and attacked Valor!  I was nearly hysterical when I saw the thief approach my son, but Partisan heard my cries and came galloping.  When the thief saw him, he made a run for it, but Jaxler cut him off at the gate.  He and Partisan shot the thief dead on the drawbridge, fortunately out of sight of both Valor and me.

The little colt was terrified after the incident, and I'm not afraid to admit I was too.  He said he's scared to even go outside now... it tears my heart out, but I know he just needs some time to recover.  Either Harvest Moon or I will be with him at all times, my poor little pony.

1st Obsidian, 258

As many bad days as I've had lately, today makes up for it.  Glaive and Falcata were wed today, and I presided over the ceremony.  I don't think I've ever seen the two of them so happy, and thinking back to my own wedding with Harvest Moon I don't blame them.  After Falcata's heartfelt vows to her husband, I really put it in perspective.  It's really no small miracle that she is even alive, and I thank everything that is good in this world every time I think about those terrible events.

I gave the two some time off for whatever celebrating they want.  I hope the best for them and their future.  I can think of no two ponies who were more made for each other.

Hacking success!  Proof of concept that I can force ponies / dwarves to marry!  The two didn't seem to want to get together so I waved my magic wand over them, and presto!

5th Obsidian, 258

Another pony was gripped by a strange mood today, which was becoming a bit rare, much to my delight.  This time it was Alpine, Hickory and Splinter's son.  His parents rushed off to be with him while it happened, and I don't blame them.  The little colt quietly plodded off to one of our craftshops and set off to find everything he needed.

So far everypony who has suffered through these moods has turned out just fine, so I'm not worried.  I'm sure he'll be okay.  I'm still going to head over to see them tomorrow if he isn't done with whatever he is working on and offer what moral support I can.

19th Obsidian, 258

Another of Naginata's little colts is officially a stallion today!  Much to her and Marble's relief, he didn't want to join her in the militia and opted for a more simple life helping the farmers with the growing number of animals we've come to acquire here in Dawnpick.  It might be a simple life, but there's little more rewarding than knowing that you're a corner stone of the life of everypony in the town.

21st Obsidian, 258

A merchant caravan from home was spotted in the distance today, along with a caravan from the rainbows near behind.  As has been the case in the past, I asked the militia and guard to watch out for thieves nearby.  They seem to know when to strike, and my hunch turned out to be right.

Glyph ran into the first thief just outside the gate after the merchants made it inside.  The thief didn't make it far from what I heard, and Glyph slew him with his axe near the moat.

Falcata found the next thief, approaching from the opposite direction.  She dealt with it as she always does, dispatching him before the rest of the militia even made it to her.

While the carnage was going on outside the gate, Alpine at least finished what he was working on.  He made a pick out of some of the giraffe bone we had lying around underground.  It is truly superb in its manufacture, but I have no idea what we'll do with it.  The miners have enough picks as it is, so for now at least I just let the family keep the tool and mount it as a testament to Alpine's achievement.

23rd Obsidian, 258

I met with our liaison today and with the merchants soon after.  So far everypony in Coupledye seem to be happy with what we've done out here so far, and we need to keep up the good work.  As a show of that, we sent back about 50,000 bits worth of steel bars, weapons and armor with the merchants.

We also traded some of our home grown food for a variety of things from home and the rainbow ponies.  We got a lot of cloth, some exotic metals (particularly a few alloys we can't get or make here), some exotic food and the seeds to grow a few new plants here.  I know I'm looking forward to the first bread that Skillet makes from the longland flour we'll be producing here soon!

13th Felsite, 259

It came to my attention some time ago that the dining hall was becoming a bit crowded.  It was high time we started doing something about that, so I sent the order down to the masons and architects to start expanding the dining hall.  It should hold a fair bit more ponies inside now, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the extra room.

While I was at it, I sent the word for the masons to start fixing up the walls in some places.  Early on when we were desperate to get closed off from the thieves, we built the walls in the fastest way we could, taking care of the local geography.  Now though, we've got a bit of extra time on our hooves and a moat to keep us safe, so a little extra room inside the walls would go a long way.

We've started fixing them to be even now.  It will give us some room to build a few more smelters, which we'll probably need soon to keep up with demands for the steel here.

14th Felsite, 259

Something horrible happened today.  I didn't know what had happened when I first heard Falcata's cries of despair coming from the hospital.  I thought somepony was badly hurt or killed, maybe even Glaive.  The truth was maybe worse.

She and Glaive had been sparring, and there was an accident.  I didn't ask the details from Panacea, but she said the way Falcata got hurt... it... it killed her unborn foal.  I can't imagine what she and Glaive must be going through right now.

The child might not have even been born yet, but it still tears me up inside thinking about it.  If anything happens to any of my children, I wouldn't be able to stand it.

I've sent the order to Halberd for them to be given as much time off as they need to cope with this.  This is something I'd go over his head about if I had to, but I don't think I will.

I just can't imagine...

This is kind of my fault, I think.  There are three known things that can cause miscarriages in game: physical trauma, dehydration and starvation.  Falcata hasn't been attacked an enemy in a long time, but she has been working in the gym, where she stays until she's hungry or thirsty.  I'm not convinced she got to dehydration or starvation levels, but maybe she did when I wasn't looking.

I think it happened because of her sparring with Glaive.  I've read that when unlucky, sparring can cause this, but I've never noticed before since you don't get notifications for miscarriages like you do for births.

The only other explanation is I managed to flub something with the hack, which is possible but unlikely since she did get pregnant in the first place.  I'll continue to watch and see if it happens again...

Oh, and here's the link to the save if anyone is interested: http://www.filedropper.com/dawnpick

I had to change download providers.  I need to sign up for Dropbox or something, because this one kinda sucks.  If people have problems with the download I'll try another provider.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:25:36 pm by Telgin »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 06, 2012, 02:01:34 am »

Scene time!

and

Glaive sits in a dark corner of the dining hall, a half finished mug of strong drink before him. His face is blank, expressionless. Nopony sits with him, a few have tried to start conversations with the somber unicorn, but were quickly brushed off. Glaive desired nothing more than to be alone with his thoughts, and his guilt.

Friesden hops through the dining room, peering around the room, looking for one pony in particular. Spotting him lurking in a dark corner, she hops over to him, a smile on her face. “Meow! That’s bunny talk for ‘I found you!’. Why haven’t you been at the stables?”

Glaive turns to look at the new arrival, “Oh hello, Friesden. Still pretending to be a bunny I see.” says Glaive attempting to dodge the question. ‘She doesn’t need to know about that.’ he thought.

“Meow! Of course I’m still a bunny, silly! Why haven’t you been telling stories?” she persists, hopping about once or twice while she speaks. “The other ponies don’t tell as good stories as you do.”

“I’m sorry I haven’t been telling you foals stories, and I’m glad you enjoyed them, but...I don’t think I can do that anymore.” Glaive turns away from the filly and takes a swig of his drink.

Friesden looks up to the unicorn. “But...But why not? Does Falcata not like you taking time away from her? Scary lady doesn’t like almost-dad staying away from her. Is that what’s happened? Maybe you can bring her along to help you tell the stories!”

“Scary Lady?” inquires Glaive, “Who is that? Stiletto?”

“Stiletto’s the buffalo, silly! Scary lady is miss Kat,” answers Friesden in a cheerful voice. “But is that what’s wrong? I could ask almost-dad if Falcata could help you tell stories! I’m sure he’d say yes!”

“I’m sure he would, but that’s not what’s wrong.” Glaive hesitates before going on, “Friesden...I did a bad thing, I hurt somepony, and that’s why I don’t think I can come back.” Glaive stares down at his drink, not daring to look at the filly.

“Can’t you just say sorry? That’s what almost-dad told me to do whenever I did something wrong. And that’s what all the ponies in your stories do. They say ‘Sorry I hurt you’, and then everything is okay again. I can help you say sorry, if you want some help!”

Glaive looks at Friesden again and begins to speak softly, “Sometimes, sometimes saying sorry isn’t enough. I have apologized, again and again, but I know it isn’t enough, and I don’t know if she can ever forgive me, and even if she does, I know I can’t forgive myself, not after what I did.”

Friesden crooks her head. “Um... Have you asked Falcata for help? I know whenever I have problems saying sorry, almost-dad can help me. Maybe she can help you say sorry to that pony. Or I can help, too!”

Glaive smiles at the filly, her innocence was quite charming, he places a hoof on her head and messes up her mane, “It is kind of you to offer your help, Friesden. You are a very good filly. Please don’t ever change. But this is something Falcata and I need to work through on our own.”

“Falcata’s already helping you say sorry to the pony? Maybe we should go see her and see if she’s found a way to say sorry? Then you can come back and tell us stories again. Maybe with Falcata too!”

Glaive’s smile quickly fades with the filly’s words. “No Friesden, you misunderstand. The...the pony that I hurt...was Falcata.”

Friesden gapes at Glaive’s words. “I-I-I-Is...Is she okay? Should we see her? What happened?”

“Do not worry Friesden, she is okay now. She was not badly hurt during the accident, but she...lost something very precious to her, to both of us... and it was all my fault.”

“Um...Have you tried looking for it? I lose things all the time, but almost-dad helps me find them again! Or...If it’s broken...Have you tried fixing it?” Friesden looks up to Glaive, and almost on compulsion, gives him a hug. “Dad says sad ponies need more hugs.”

Glaive is surprised by the sudden hug, but hugs the little pony back, it might not have been the proper thing for a stallion of his position to do, but he did feel like he needed one right now. “Thank you Friesden,” he says, “but what was...broken, that day can’t be fixed by any magic on heaven or earth.”

“Um... Have you tried getting a new one? Maybe you could do that as an apology?”

Glaive chuckles, “Well, I can’t exactly go out and buy one, but you might have a point. Don’t you worry about us, my little pony. Fal and I will work through this, it’ll take some time, but then I promise I’ll come back and tell you more stories.”

Friesden gives Glaive another hug. “That’s good to hear.”

Glaive gives Friesden a brotherly kiss on the forehead as he returns the hug again before setting Friesden back on the ground. He abandons his drink on the table, determined to make things work now, and says to the filly “Thank you Friesden. You’ve helped us more than you know. I’m going to go find Falcata now. We have a lot to talk about.” Then the unicorn makes his way past Friesden to exit the hall in search of his wife.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 06, 2012, 08:34:01 am »

"LET ME THE BUCKING HELL OUT OF HERE, YOU BUCKING COWARD!"

EDIT: I need to talk with Kat and Partisan.

Kat watches the enraged pony yelling and shouting, then says "You know, yelling and shouting and doing what you're doing right now isn't going to get you out of that cell any sooner. We'll just wait until you calm down first then let you out. Sounds good Partisan?"
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 06, 2012, 02:15:38 pm »

Supplement:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is 24th day of Galena in the 258th year of the Mythic Age.

The Galena-time sun spears the eastern horizon as it fills the atmosphere with its yellow glow. A ray of light barely touches and illuminates the face of a stirring Unicorn, she wills herself entirely awake. Amor scrunched her eyelids shut at the light piercing through the outside fortifications and her own window. The Little Pony stretches and yawns in the morning's sun radiance.

The mental checklists that Amor’s Old Master instilled when she was younger, rushes through her head What woke me, where am I, is anypony here, are there any traps, have any entrances been tampered with… and the list goes on. In a flash the list is done and she leaves her bed, similar to a bird fleeing its nest. The metallic pony skipped her usual daybreak exercises and instead just opened the room’s glass-portal, leaving and closing it behind her. Many ponies join with me in what I jokingly labeled ‘The Well Run’; a sluggish stride to lineup at the well. Doubtlessly we were herd animals, but our rational minds have created many weird, but useful concepts, such as privacy.

Family ponies took up much of the space around the well, where they bathed their loved ones. Single ponies had no such luxury, but gladly accepted the personal freedom. Privacy was practiced at the well and it was not hard to find ways to disappear when cleaning. Besides, most ponies were too sleepy to care what others were doing. Amor usually had to imitate grogginess to avoid conversation, but ever since her confession to Virtue, she was left drained anyway. Fortunately for ponies, the cool water was more then sufficient to wake them up.

Amor’s noble tutelage and exposure to other cultures, such as the Deuchmeiner, should have made her feel alienated, but here she was; just another common mare wearing a crimson beetroot robe-chemisier. Most ponies wore clothing and none appeared to mind the various levels of nudity, others were displaying, as well as different number of layers and styles of each other’s garb. Concealing the cutie mark was wont to her, but it was taught out of consideration for others and her. My Old Master once told me a bedtime story, where in some village; a colt was cursed with a skull on his flanks. The villagers, seeing this, sacrificed him to their gods. What compels a teacher to tell such stories to a three year old filly at bedtime was beyond me, but a moral about not allowing one’s fate be decided by some mark on one’s flanks could be learned from it.

The bath was welcomed, but not the coldness, leaving little doubt in the mare’s mind that the colder months would lead to some smelly ponies. An idea crosses the Unicorn’s mind: use the warm rocks within the deep mines for a bathhouse. The thought is dismissed by the technical difficulties and the belief, that Dawnpick held a couple of ingenious engineers, who may have thought the same. Shortly after her bath and back in her quarters, the copper Unicorn replaces her nightwear with a mason’s smock, that by pony standards are slightly excessive in converge.

Not eating within the Dining Hall used to be a part of my routine, because of my mission, but this breakfast was different. I still had my meal in my room, but this time it was by choice. From my bed, I elegantly sipped down the big tasty stew created by Skillet, and ate some carrot slices, while watching the other ponies from my window. I was no longer a spy and a spectator, but an active player. After breakfast I went to the masons’ workshop near the craft-ponies’ workshop and examined the order for that day from Virtue. Cut half a dozen gabbro rough stones into roof tiles for the gym and make a statue. I set to work on the tiles, as I contemplate the theme for the statue, perhaps another one with Panacea embracing two giant rats.

Indigo woke up shortly after dawn, stretched, rolled over, laid on his bed for ten more minutes and finally got up. He washed in a bowl of water, that got to room temperature during the night, which saved him a trip to the well and waiting for his turn. He daily replaces the water in the evening, but it is well worth the effort. He put on his work robe. It is tattered and patched multiple times, but it still serves its purpose and replacing clothes is always costly. He went to the dining hall and managed to get to the food stores, while many of the others are still at the well, or on their way back to their rooms. He ate his breakfast slowly, listening to other ponies’ gossip and went to work on building the gym. It is mostly for the soldiers to work on their strength and stamina, but civilians will be allowed to use it too.

Amor retrieves a rough gabbro rock from an adjacent stockpile and carries it on her back, akin to an Earth Pony. She was wise to her body and knew about its limits and how to use it efficiently to her will. The other ponies would have questioned her ways, but thought, that the Unicorn may have been magically stunted; a thought that she accepted. The truth was that the mare knew a lot of spells, but most was malevolent in nature. Magic for Amor was little more than a weapon and a tool to manipulate lesser ponies.

I was a punctual pony; I arrived on time and didn’t waste the time of others, but also remembered to use my own time wisely. Sadly, blocks and tiles are boring; but they are important and make working on real art, like statues, much more enjoyable by contrast. It was foal’s play to visualize a tile and be mindful of fissures, lest one gets pebbles instead of tiles. After I completed three sets of tiles, it was time for a small break. I listened to the sounds of echoing hooves at work in the distance, which sets today’s mood.

Amor was joined by three other stonemasons, who were building the gym. By second nature she kept working, as the newcomers seize her plain, but ever precise, roof tiles. The metallic colour pony was paid little mind, but she noted them: Indigo, a dyer turned stonecrafter; Saw Dust, who fancies himself both a carpenter and a mason and the mare Hickory, who is a woodcutter but knows a lot about construction. Something catches her eye, Indigo had a hurt look in his large heliotrope iris eyes, that even Amor’s poor empathy could see. She formulated a sympathetic scheme in her mind and waited. The Unicorn mare took her time working and allowing the builders to collect her roof tiles for the gym. She would join them later in the day.

Indigo used to hang out with that Pegasus Kat during breaks and lunch, but this never happens anymore. There were only two ponies here, who I could call friends: Loom who once conversed with me at lengths about our father’s gardens and Barley, who would make a great listener if only he wasn’t dead. It was strange: Indigo and Kat still had their lives, so why would anything part them? Was he terrified of Kat’s lifestyle corrupting him? Why didn’t he think that the opposite could happen? Maybe I can help him at this time.

The Little Pony exercised patience and managed her time until the last block. Amor had an idea, as the builders returned for their last round of tiles. With four sets of tiles and just three ponies it was rational for her to join them. In only a moment the ponies were walking side-by-side. For Amor it was the time to talk to Indigo and work on her objective.

Amor hummed, mimicking those attempting to recollect a forgotten name. Turning to see if it secured the attention of the stallion adjacent to her, then opened her mouth. This time the words do not betray her. “You are Indigo, right? If you can not recall, my name is Amor, but you probably know me by my nickname Kiln. It is such a thrilling summer’s day is it not?” The Little Unicorn struggles to lock her eyes with his, with the determination of a wrestler grabbing his opponent. With some effort she should be able to elongate our chat with such questions, as how’s progress on current projects and the like.

Indigo aligns his tile within its place with the rest of them, then looks at Amor beside him. It is unlike this reclusive mare to strike a conversation with him, and if she does, they normally talk about their work, not weather. “Yes, my name is Indigo. The day is...” he looks around, noticing some white clouds giving shade, “pleasant and good for work, although a bit too warm for me.” What does she really want from me? Obviously not to talk about the weather. Indigo gives her a look, but when she says nothing more, so he just keeps on walking towards the gym, and watching his steps. She’ll tell me soon enough, I guess.

Why does he show such disinterest when I talk? The Indigo I spied, was more outspoken. Also does anypony around here know a proper greeting anymore? Though all I have done was to say hellos and goodbyes. Thinking back, to avoid other ponies, I continued working during the breaks. If approached by another pony during a break, I would keep working; if they waited more then thirty minutes, they would be worth being friends with. But I know I made it hard for them. At first they must have thought me either industrious or unsociable, maybe a mixture of both, but eventually they just accepted it.

The two ponies come before the main road and must stop for Detergent and her delightful hoof-full of foals following her in droves. Amor decides to question the Stallion beside her, while their way is blocked. “Indigo, I noticed on my work mandate, that these are the last blocks of the day, so how far along is the gym?”

Indigo lets the foals pass, and looks at Amor again. “I prefer to think of it as a suggestion, and not mandate. The way I see it, just keep the tiles coming till we have enough. Making a few more or less than the daily quota doesn’t matter much, as long as we keep their counts accurate. As to the gym, why ask me, just see for yourself. It is almost finished. Several more days for the roof and cleaning the place and it will be ready to be furnished.” Indigo shrugs “Let’s just keep working, till we are done.”

“I do not want to be a bother to the Baroness, who manages the projects. Lady Virtue has enough toil without concerns about mis-production, so I simply do the listed work.” Amor said, while taking pleasure in the heart warming sight of the passing-by foals, seven in all. “A week ago I held an audience with our Lady and asked, if I could have a managerial position along with my masonry. The Lady may have taken my request as a joke, because of informality, but… I have faith in the baroness’s will.” She adds.

The metallic mare’s thoughts drift to Detergent’s fertility, and the question of why she refuses to use contraceptives. After my exposure to Coupledye’s slums, where the problems of overpopulation were apparent, the idea of such a big family draws my wrath at the parents. Who would bring so many foals into this world and such a dangerous place, that this village can be. She drops the anger quickly, before it shows in her body. They had the right and the militia kept Dawnpick safe. On another note, Stiletto’s flock and their questionable actions also help keep the population down.  All things have their balance, I guess. All this thought takes place in a second for Amor, as the dam and her foals past.

Indigo smiles “I understand, but I have a much more relaxed approach. We can always use another rock pot for keeping food, or some more blocks for construction, and have an abundance of rocks, so when I’m at the workshop, I simply work for a day. I look at the order of course, but treat it as a guideline, not something set in stone. If I do more, then we have more, and if I’m clumsy or sluggish or just have a bad day, that’s not a big problem too. I can always finish another day, or some other mason can help me. Just think about your tiles as parts of a bigger whole. We need a certain number to finish the gym and if we get them faster, we’ll be done faster. If there is any surplus left, it can be used for something else. Besides, we are paid for our produce, not our time.” He frowns, changing topic. “As to you asking for ‘management position’, I don’t think we need more managers meddling with our work. If you have some sensible suggestions, simply offer them to Lady Virtue. She usually listens and is thankful for them.”

Indigo looks at Detergent’s foals. She is working hard on keeping the population stable, and more than compensates for the likes of me. Those foals will also be sociable and learn how to take care of their own kids just by being part of a big family. Is there maybe something, I could do for them?

“I have never seen Virtue outside the fort; she spends too much time in there, and I know Earth Ponies love the outdoors.” Amor said watching her steps, balancing her tiles, and adds more. “I was taught advanced mathematics at a young age, and had management responsibilities before but… those memories are bitter.” Saying as she bites her bottom lips.

“Well, if you just want to count our stocks and do things like that, I guess Lady Virtue could use some help. As for myself, I offer her what suggestions I can. Feedback from work teams is useful.” If she really means to tell me, what those ‘bitter thoughts’ are, she will. Otherwise old wounds like that are better left untouched.

“Our Lady is an exemplar of diligence, but she could show more wiliness to receive help. Take me for example; I do only what I am able to, and let others have their responsibilities. Maybe she just enjoys all the work… but I dislike talking ill of others and mean no disrespect to the baroness, forgive me.” The little mare said; afterwards her nerves try to get the best of her and suppress the sound of tongue clicking. 

“Well, I guess Lady Virtue is taking a lot of work and responsibilities on herself. I think, she could share some of them with other ponies, but so far she handles everything just fine on her own. Besides, it is not my place to question her. Although I do not think she enjoys her burden. When I talk to her about some problems, or just look at her after an accident, she looks... tired.” Indigo sighs, remembering some of his past conversations with the Baroness. 

The company of masons arrived outside the gabbro block barracks, where the unfinished gym was being built on its second story. Amor’s ears set back against the sides of her head and narrowly conscious, paws the ground with front hooves in anxiety. The mare pushes the concern of boredom to the back of her head, and continues forward as not to worry the others. After the stone roof is finalized, the building and the project will be completed. There won’t be much to do until another project. Conflicted feelings wash over Amor’s mind. I wanted to be more useful then when I was a spy. Talk of various projects would never be enough for me, I preferred to see the work with my own eyes.

In the near noon sun, the other ponies are finally having a breather, after carrying all the tiles here and affixing them to the roof. They stretched and strived in vain to yawned hunger away. Amor mimics the other workers and lies down on soft grass. “Indigo, would you like to share a break together and chat a little longer?” She pitches some fatigue into the statement for good measure.

Indigo looks at her. “Alright, what’s on your mind?”

"Indigo, if you do not mind telling; why do I not see that dark colored Pegasus mare around you anymore?” Amor pauses placing a hoof under my chin, pretending to think and declares: “Her name is Kat right? She seemed to be a pleasant mare and I was aspirating to meet her. Can you tell me about her?”

What the hay? Indigo looks surprised. “Kat? If you want to talk to her, she is friendly enough, but if you want to ask me about her, you have to be more specific. One thing worth knowing about Kat is that she sides with Stiletto and that is the reason, we don’t talk much anymore.” He frowns, somewhat annoyed. What do you want with me and Kat, anyway?

Indigo’s actions worry me, but it was unsurprising that the hurt stallion would react this way. “Kat may be friendly… but I am not such; I find it hard to approach others that I barely know.” Amor buries the tips of her hooves into the ground. “I had the passing thought you could introduce us, but you mentioned another name. Can I ask how this Stiletto placed a wedge in your relationship? I do not want to canter head first into something, which may hurt other ponies or myself.” Amor said face filled with a sincerely hurt look. I known of Stiletto’s errant deeds of the flesh, but saw them as a boon to the community, even if I disagree myself.

Indigo gives her a long look. “Well... I can introduce you to Kat, if you want, but after that talk to her on your own. As for Stiletto, suffice to say, she is a lot of trouble, and spreads dissident ideology. I would avoid her, if I were you.”

“Thank you, Indigo. Avoiding Stiletto and Kat sounds to be in my best interest.” The Unicorn said almost swallowing her words. “But do you not worry about losing the chance of friendship, unless they do not want our friendship that is?” She return Indigo’s stare, contemplating the potential friends, which could have been gained or lost.

“Our, as in your or mine?” asks Indigo, perplexed, and continues without a pause. “As to the chance of friendship between me and Stiletto, there is none. Kat is... tolerable, but I mistrust her. Oh, she did say she wanted to be my friend, even after her betrayal, but I can’t associate myself with the likes of Stiletto, can I? And what is this to you anyway, why would you care, who is my friend, and who isn’t? I barely even know you.” finishes Indigo, giving Amor a piercing stare.

The Copper mare’s body becomes heavy and lies on the ground. I let some truth slip, but not all of it. “I can not claim anypony to be my friend, even after half a decade of life in Dawnpick. The reason being, that before coming to this picturesque village, my craft had me traveling around a lot. Dawnpick’s constant progress means, that i am going to be here for a long time, so I want to make as many friends as I can.” Amor sighs and returns a forlorn expression. “Why would she betray your trust and are there more ponies like that here?” I can not believe these ponies, and how they treat each other.

Indigo relaxes at that, but only slightly. She suddenly wants to make friends after years of being here, and asks me for help? “I... see. I think you would get along with Kat just fine. She wants to have a lot of friends too. Not good and reliable ones, just many.” He is silent for a moment, but when she says nothing, he adds. “As to why... It was a matter of loyalty. She has proven loyal to Stiletto, and not me, when we had an argument. I know it sounds trivial when I put it like that, but it wasn’t. And I do believe most ponies are like that.” He looks at her and frowns. “But what do you want with me, and why am I even telling you this?”

With nods and other body language, the mare heeds word of the indigo namesake pony. “Indigo I desire only a friend here, if not Kat then you.” She said, locking eyes with his in reassurance. “You must worry about me in some part of you to warn me about this... Indigo do you wish to hear a sorry about my childhood?”

“I uhm... what?” Indigo looks around. “I.. I do want the best for ponies and not just for you... I can listen to your story, but only if you really want to tell me. I prefer not to be nosy about such things.” Indigo looks at her, waiting.

Standing, Amor narrates her story. “As a young filly, I trotted into my family’s gardens and found my father tolling in the dirt near our praised ash tree. My trot develops into full gallop; I quickly jumped on my father’s back and hugged his neck. Looking over his shoulder I found him digging up flowers and asked him, why he was doing it. He told that we had a new gardener and that she made a mistake when planting the flowers.” The very old memories are too much and the mare must recompose herself. “He told me, that the ashen roots spread corruption into the soil around them. Later my Old Master explained that the substances, those trees release into the ground are harmful to the plants around them. I asked him why not simply cut the tree down… he scolded me, but he was right in saying, that the tree was innocent, because it could not know it was releasing the poison into the ground around it. My mind was abuzz with questions; I eventually asked why no one just removed ponies from the source of corruption.” The Unicorn glances down at her fore-hooves and comes back up with a smile. “He called me a clever filly and said that ponies were not attached to the ground and that they can flee any time from the corruption.” She puffs at the long anecdote and gazes around to see that the other ponies were starting to stir back to work. With that Indigo, if you please, I leave you to your work. If you ever need a friend, I am but a stone-haul away.” Amor curtseys and leaves the stallion to absorb her words.

Indigo is lost in thought when she talks, but reawakens, when he notices her leaving. “Well, I understand your anecdote, but what if some flowers grow on a meadow, and suddenly an ashen tree takes roots among them? Should they all just move away? I think not. I think they should defend their land.” If it comes to that, I can leave Dawnpick with a caravan, but what about other ponies here?

Amor hears the stallion and promptly turns to face him. “It depends. Are we talking about ponies or plants?” I say in surprise, but understand his intent.

Indigo chuckles at that. “Which do you think?” After a few heartbeats, he adds. “See you later Amor. This was an interesting conversation.”

A cool summer’s breeze blows from the south, a reminder that colder seasons are on their way. The sun hides behind the clouds, but its luminous rays can still be felt. Amor and Indigo walk off in opposite directions; the mare to work on her statue and the stallion back on the gym roof. The future looks bright. Both of them seem to have found a friend today and a possible ally in the future.

Each step the copper mare takes seems lighter. Amor feels that the restraints of her past life as a spy are loosening. In her mind, the old life is over and a new one begins. Before she knows it, she is back at the mason workshop and laboring on a statue worthy of her possible new found friendship. The Unicorn works throughout the lunch break and finishes just about dinner time.

Amor creates an exceptional ≡statue of ponies≡ in marble. There are two ponies walking side by side, balancing roof tiles on their backs. The statue is in memory to the building of the gym, by the members of the Light of Dawn. Both of the ponies are unicorns and carry a smile on their muzzles.

Indigo keeps looking at Amor, as she walks back to the mason's workshop What do you know. She seemed dim-witted at first, but actually is a clever filly. Not that I agree with her, or like her asking me personal questions, but she might make a good pony to talk to. Plus she doesn’t side with Stiletto, or at least doesn’t seem to. Despite Amor’s questioning, Indigo’s spirit is uplifted after their conversation. He became too reclusive lately, and desperately needed a pony to talk to. He smiles and goes back to work on the roof with renewed energy.

Later, during Indigo’s evening walk through the stockpiles, he notices a new statue. Wow, did she make this? This thing is a beauty. He notices the reference to their recent conversation laughs and greatly appreciates the gesture. This is the best thing anypony did for him in a very long time, and he is quite moved.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:58:17 am by Psalms01 »
Victoria intus Amicitia; Amor et Patientiam; Salve ad Armentum.
-Psalms01, your Adoring Omnidimensional Overlord.
> Dues Ex Magma!
> "Nah, we're fine. We have too much food anyway, bad thoughts from seeing vermin never killed nopony, refuse stockpile is less clogged, and cats are safely tucked away in a cage." -Maklak
> Dwarfy Proverb: "Every-dwarf grows there beard to different lengths."
> Psalms tries to type, but the words are deflected by the Google Docs' +broken code+! -Telgin

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 06, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »

Kat watches the enraged pony yelling and shouting, then says "You know, yelling and shouting and doing what you're doing right now isn't going to get you out of that cell any sooner. We'll just wait until you calm down first then let you out. Sounds good Partisan?"

Partisan stood there for a few seconds as he though of what to do. He looked at Kat and then slowly looked at Jaxler, rage evident on his face. "Kat, its up to you, but I would rather you stay out here. Jaxler, this was my decision. One that I, and I alone, had to make. I will take full responsibility for it. First, though, I need to know that you understand, under the normal situation, all the charges that would be against you, and what the punishment for them would be. Please repeat them to me."

This is about to get unnecessary.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 06, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »

"I'm... guilty... of lots of grand theft... and I'd probably be put to death... by A SICK, BUCKING, BASTARD LIKE YOU!"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:42:08 pm by jaxler »

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 06, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »

Stiletto had put out the call for brave ponies to help her remove the threat from the hill. She had paid Lady Virtue a large sum to have a mansion built there and had agreed to remove the Honey Badger ponies for free so that lumber could be harvested.

Kat answered the call. She was more than happy to help Stiletto clear out the lands to build her new mansion. Besides, she have always wanted to get more action.

Jaxler decided to help as well. Regardless of how much he hated the alicorn, it was his job to help Dawnpick, and clearing that hill of combatants would.

Zearoth wanted to try and help out as much as he could, so he jumped at the chance to help clear the hill.

Midnight was happy to have a chance to help a pony like Stiletto, and to do something to help Dawnpick as well.

Glaive arrives at the predetermined place, a bit earlier than was planned. He stands in his full armor. It gleams in the sunlight, having been freshly polished. His axe across his back was ready for a fight, having been magically sharpened by the unicorn this morning. Glaive still did not desire to help Stiletto, but knew he couldn't sit out while the militia fought an enemy so close to home.

Glyph arrives after leaving Friesden with Flux. It had taken a bit to convince himself, but he couldn't let both his loves fight while he did nothing.

Flux tries to watch over the various foals in the Stable as his friends go fight. Worrying doesn't help them any, but he still does.

Soon after, the silent footsteps of Midnight can be somewhat heard as he arrives at his destination.

Friesden gets to stay with Flux. He's not as fun as almost-dad, but he knows all kinds of songs and dances and games. Friesden hops along happily going "Meow, meow."

"At least foals are easy to keep entertained." thinks Flux as he finishes a song on the piccolo. He then puts it aside to prepare to tell a story.

Stiletto is in full armor, with her big axe on her side and a new bronze shield on her other side.

Kat arrives, ready and content. She is in her guard's uniform and had made sure to pack plenty of bolts this time around.

Jaxler arrives. He is wearing no armor except for a leather hood and chain-mail shirt, though he did bring his brass-horseshoes, his crossbow and an iron chain.

Zearoth soon shows, wearing simple armour and a crossbow rigged to his shoulder with another crossbow slung over his back.

Glaive stares at the face of his artifact shield, studying every inch of it. It was amazing the blows this thing had taken without leaving a scratch. It was clearly some sort of powerful magic that could make it so strong, yet so light. But while he seems occupied with the shield, in truth his mind is elsewhere. Glaive is thinking about the battle, about the fight to come. His time in the army had been mostly uneventful, and nearly every battle he'd fought in Dawnpick had been against surprise and ambushes, he wasn't used to this waiting. He feels like he would lose his mind if the waiting persisted.

Stilletto speaks. "Are you all ready for this? These Honey Badgers have all been named by the locals. I have a plan though, if you will hear it."

Kat: "Plans are good."

"Of course," Glyph says sitting down to listen. "What is it?"

Jaxler: "I'm fine with a plan so long as you don't send us all in head first."

Glaive stares at Stiletto. "Yes, but other than names, what intel do we have on the enemy? Numbers? Entrenched positions? Can we expect traps? What sort of gear and weapons do they possess? Do we know anything?"

Stiletto addresses Glaive politely. "All good questions, Glaive. There are five of them, they are positioned in the grove east of the large pond, they have no traps, and they have leathers and iron weapons."

Glaive ponders. "Only five, and they are poorly equipped. This shouldn't be difficult. What plan did you wish to propose, Alicorn?"

Stiletto: "Glaive, Glyph, and I will attack from the west, forcing them toward the pond. Kat, Jaxler, and Zearoth stand on the other side of the pond and provide covering fire. Midnight, you move in from the south after we have begun the engagement."

Jaxler: "Seems fine to me."

Midnight gives a quick nod at the orders, making him seem a lot less talkative than the pony they met at the party.

Zearoth also nods to Stiletto.

Glaive: "A valid plan, though they have the high ground. It is entirely possible they would see us setting up forces around the hill and try to escape before the battle commences. While that could well be a victory in and of itself, if we wish to make sure they don't come back to bother us again, might it better to bait them into an ambush of our own?"

Kat: "Can't we just keep shooting bolts at them from a safe distance?"

Glaive: "Can you do that after they run into the woods? Can you shoot a pony behind a tree, Kat? If you can I'd love to see it."

Kat: "We could.. burn the woods down with flaming bolts? Besides, the smiths could always use more charcoal."

Stiletto: "Good point Glaive, not all of us can move as quietly as midnight and I. Um, Kat, no, we need the lumber."

Kat: "Ah."

Glaive: "You wish to burn the whole forest? To kill 5 Badger ponies? You are truly a ruthless strategist Kat, the biggest reason we are doing this if for the lumber those trees will provide."

Kat: "Right, the lumber."

Jaxler: "Pardon me, but can't we just have one of the groups get behind them while another charges from the front?"

Stiletto thinks for a moment. "Kat, you and Jaxler take two clouds in the north. Zearoth, you provide cover from across the pond. Midnight and I will come in from the west, Glyph and Glaive from the south, leaving them nowhere to run."

Kat: "Cloud sniping! woo!"

Zearoth: "Yes, ma'am."

Jaxler: “I doubt Anypony is a good enough shoot anything from that high up."

Glaive: "Stiletto's plan is good, though I would offer an alternative. I would suggest that we send a small fast group, say 2 of us, to goad the enemy into a chase. They then lead them into a crossfire and the waiting militia. I'd volunteer to be the bait, but I can't really run with my bad leg. We then surround them and wipe them out."

Jaxler: “I'll volunteer.”

Kat: "Me too."

Kat: "we can just fly away if things gets too nasty."

Jaxler: "I brought a metal chain expecting some melee"

Stiletto: "Why would you put yourselves in danger when we have all the advantages? They will run into Glyph and Glaive as you snipe them from on high."

Glaive: "I suggest we put it to a vote then. My plan or Stiletto's. Those in favor of my plan say aye." Glaive raises his hoof and says "Aye."

Kat was unsure on whose plan to vote for. both plans sounds equally great.

Midnight keeps quiet.

Jaxler also keeps silent.

Glyph and Stiletto are silent as well.

Glaive  is disappointed in having no show of support, from any pony. "And those in favor of Stiletto's plan?"

Jaxler keeps silent again.

Kat was still unsure on what to vote so she kept silence.
Glyph and Stiletto both say "Aye."

"Aye." Zearoth says as he raises his hoof.

Glaive sighs. "Alright then. We'll do what she said. Are we ready to move out? Everyone understand their part?"

Midnight gives a quick nod.

Kat: "Get on a cloud, scares the badger ponies into running into an ambush. Then clear them out!"

Stiletto: "Use my magic to make me and midnight even more silent and flank them."

Glyph: "Cut off their retreat with Glaive."

Jaxler breaks his silence. "Lets get going."

Glaive, not willing to take any orders from Stiletto so long as he can help it, moves forward and speaks again to everypony. "Alright soldiers, move out, and may the gods grant us victory this day."

Jaxler laughed and added, "If there are any."

Stiletto nods to midnight: "Lets go around."

Zearoth nods and trots off to get into position.

Kat pulls the string of her crossbow back and load a bolt in then muttered "Goddesses protect us.."

Midnight stands up and gets ready to move. It starts to seem unlikely that he'll say a single word...

Glaive begins to walk toward the gate. Without looking he says, "Glyph, follow me. We need to hurry and get into position."

Glyph: "Are you sure I should follow? I am really tough, and Stiletto has trained me to move much better in my armor."
Jaxler sighs. "Why the hell do I have to fly? I really don't like flying."

Glaive looks confusedly at Glyph. "What are you talking about? The plan was for us to cut off their retreat if they head south. We should get going, if you have doubts about the plan, you should have said something earlier."

Stiletto's horn glows for a second and then it stops as the shadows fold in on her and Midnight, the sound of their hoof falls vanishing.

Midnight smiles and gives Stiletto an approving nod.

Glyph hops past Glaive. "I mean you should follow me, ya old grump."

Glaive has never been so insulted in his whole life, he looks about to buck Glyph in his smug face, when instead he just says, "You are right, you shouldn't follow. You stay here. Dawnpick needs soldiers, not foals playing pretend," and proceeds to walk past Glyph.

Kat flares her wings out. "See you there, everyone. Let's go, Jaxler."

Jaxler: "Fine, Kat"

Glyph: "Don't be jealous just ‘cause I have training from the best in the fort and you have a bum leg." he passes Glaive again, this time at a trot.

Stiletto thinks to herself 'vielleicht sollte ich auf meinem eigenen weg haben'

Glaive continues to walk without looking at Glyph. "Best in the fort my ass. She's not as perfect as she thinks she is."

Midnight's smile quickly fades into an emotionless expression as he keeps following.

Jaxler: "Kat, please excuse me if I'm a bit edgy during this mission, I really don't like flying and I hate killing things."

Kat: "Oh, you hate killing things now?"

Glyph: "She doesn't think she's the best, I /know/ she is." He stops just south of the hill. "So, those two trees on the crest, should we set up there?"

Jaxler: "Yes I do, why exactly does that shock you?"

Kat settles herself comfortably on the patch of cloud, her crossbow aiming down. "Because you're Jaxler."

Jaxler: "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Kat: "It means you're Jaxler. And that it surprises me that you don't like killing?"

Glaive examines the place indicated by Glyph, "Yeah, that looks good enough. I'll head up there. You might want to head home now, foal. You don't want to get hurt when the fighting starts."

Stiletto makes a small motion to midnight indicating two heavy-branched pine trees.

Jaxler: "Oh, so you dodged the question, allow me to reiterate. WHY the BUCKING HELL do you think I like killing things?"

Glyph: "Just try not to trip and fall in the pond, old man."

Glaive curses under his breath Stiletto for pairing him up with such an insolent foal. Somepony needed to teach this B@$!@^d some discipline, and some common bucking courtesy.

Midnight gives a slight nod before moving to hide behind one.

Zearoth hides across the pond, drawing the string on one crossbow as he uses a pulley system to ready the one on his back.

Kat: "Because you're Jaxler? That's my answer."

Glyph readies his axe and sticks close the tree he pointed out keeping a direct charge line between him and Glaive.

Jaxler lands on the cloud. "I order you to give me a better answer than that."

Kat: "Well, you're a drunk, violent pony who have been seen beating a foal to blood. So it's simply assumption that you would like killing as well."

Glaive moves into position behind the tree and draws his axe in his mouth and magics his shield onto the ground next to him, ready to grab it with his magic as soon as it was time to join the battle. While he doubted the enemy would even get this far with their small numbers and the archers in the clouds, he hoped he'd get a chance to prove himself again. Glaive also hoped to himself that the foal wouldn't do anything stupid.

Jaxler: "Oh, well then allow me to promise you that I ONLY HURT THINGS WHEN IT'S JUSTIFIED!"

Stiletto waits for the universal signal of screaming badger ponies to attack, hiding well. Not as well as Midnight, but well.

Kat: "Yeah, still. Sorry if i offended you or whatever. I just assumed that you liked to kill as much as you liked to beat stuff up." she says as she aims her crossbow down at one of the Badger ponies strolling around down there.

The Badger ponies mill about in the clearing, eating the remains of parasprites they had killed earlier.

Jaxler decided not to respond and just aimed his crossbow and fired. The bolt hit one of the badger ponies in the leg.

Kat fired as Jaxler fired, hitting another badger pony in the back. "Leather armor ain't so tough against iron bolts it seems."

Jaxler noticed that the badger ponies were startled. "If we start charging them right now, they'll probably start to run."

Kat reloads a bolt. "Just the two of us? Doubtful."

The one hit in the leg stumbles and falls on his face. The one hit in the spine gurgles blood. Two run south, just as predicted, and the last one stops to grab the remains of the parasprite first.

Glyph shifts into a more comfortable stance, watching the badger ponies. "Looks like it's almost showtime... Vremya dlyatantsa krovi." He grins slightly, focusing on the one that looked most likely to pass close to him.

Jaxler: "Looks like they're running, you chase the others while I put down the crippled one"

Kat: "Let's just stay up here and shoot. Nice, safe, fun, and the others can take care with the running ones. I like moving targets." She aims down her crossbow and fires, nearly hitting one of the running badger ponies which makes it run even faster.

The one grabbing the parasprite is suddenly held fast by a magical aura..

Glaive hears the battle begin. He tightens his grip on his axe, waiting for one to reach the tree line. He strains his ears and can hear the sound of hooves. 'Closer...closer...closer' he thinks. Just as his target is about to rush past the tree, he grabs his shield and strikes at the badger pony. If his timing was right, it should run straight into his swing.

"Fine." Jaxler aims at the crippled badger pony and pulls the trigger, the bolt hitting the badger pony in the head.

Kat snickers from Jaxler's fine marksponyship. "Looks like you've just created a badger unicorn Jaxler, good shot."

Midnight fires off a bolt, glancing one's cheek. He moves back into cover to ready another bolt, still showing no emotion, not even any irritation at missing.

Glyph bursts from behind tree, running full tilt at the badgerpony, trying to ram it with the full weight of his armour.

"Meh, i should have gotten him on the first shot." Jaxler was holding off on shooting again, he couldn't get a clear shot.

Kat reloads her crossbow again as she watches the fight, unable to risk friendly firing.

The badger pony was not expecting a shield to pop up in his face. It knocks him right upside the head and stuns him. As Glyph slams into the other badger pony, who is surprised by the ferocity of his attack, they tumble to the ground, tangled together.

Glyph backs off, slightly grinning, as he slams his axe down on his opponent’s back leg. "And where do you think you're going?"

Zearoth takes aim at one of the bound badgers. He lets his bolts loose, one glancing the fur of the badger as the other penetrates deep into its shoulder.

The badger pony runs, terrified of the bolts raining from the sky, thinking of his family, trying to escape. He sees the tree line, 'If I can make it there, I'll be safe.' He puts on a sudden extra burst of speed, suddenly, a glowing shield flew around the corner as he smashes into it at full speed. He falls, stunned, unsure of what has just hit him. He looks up and sees a bearded unicorn, with a somber expression on his face. The last thing the pony sees is shining metal axe falling toward his face, then all went black.

Glaive looks at the foalish one charging off. 'that wasn't the plan.' he grumbles, as he hurries over to the surviving enemy.

Stiletto steps out of her hiding spot, pulling the held badger pony toward her. One slash and its head goes sailing into the pond.

The badger pony looks down at the severed stump that used to be its foreleg. It dives at Glyph with its knife, making a desperate strike.

Zearoth reloads his crossbows and takes aim. Releasing another pair of bolts as he provides covering fire."Fire... Set, aim, fire... Set, aim, fire..." He says to himself.

Kat just enjoys the show from above for now.

Jaxler: "It's sad isn't it, Kat?"

Kat: "Kind of, yeah. But it's war, sad things happen."

Jaxler: "Meh, I just find it rather depressing. I mean, think about it. The only reason why we kill them is because they killed us and they kill us because we killed them. It's been this way since before recorded history, and in the end neither side can justify what they do."

Kat: "Just how things are. Until both sides stop killing each other, killing will happen."

Jaxler: "Or until both sides kill each other off."

Kat: "With all the killings.. I'm just worried that the goddesses will never come down. We were tasked to create the paradise on our own, and look at what we're doing. Killing and fighting."

Glyph ducks his head, catching the knife on his helmet right between his eyes. "You," He flicks his head, knocking the knife aside. "Shouldn't have," He kicks forward, knocking the badgerpony on its back. "Done that." He slams his axe down on its neck, removing its head on one swing.

Jaxler: "Oh, they'll never come, because there are no gods. And if there were gods, do you really want to worship them if they allow this to happen everyday?"

Kat gives Jaxler the odd looks "There may be no gods, but the goddesses are out for sure. and of course they allow this to happen, they gave us the power to choose. It's our own fault to choose fighting and killing over helping each others create the paradise that they tasked us for."

Jaxler: "Or maybe they enjoy watching us fight."

Kat: "Maybe.. maybe not. who knows?"

Kat: "Yeah, as not-real as death."

Jaxler: "I'm not going to argue something as pointless as religion with you. Sooner or later we will all know weather or not gods exist, and I'll be proven right."

Kat: "Yeah, except you'll be proven wrong when you stand before the goddess of death herself judging where you go next."

Jaxler: "Well I'm already in hell, so I guess the only thing she can do is send me back here. And also, what kind of a benevolent being sends you to hell for not believing in them?"

Kat: "They don't care about you believing them or not. It's what you've been doing in life."

Zearoth spits the rope out of his mouth and slings his crossbow onto his back. "Impressive fighters... All of them."

Jaxler: "That's funny, because if there were any gods then they sure as hell have made a game of seeing how much shit they can throw at me before I just give up, so achieving nothing would only be obeying their wishes."

With the battle over, Glaive searches the badger pony he killed. Finding nothing of interest, he takes out a rag and begins to clean the blood and brains off his axe.

Kat: "They gave you the power to choose what you do with yourself Jaxler. Do whatever with that. Nobody have the rights to deny you the gifts from the goddesses themselves."

Glyph smiles a bit at his kill, walking over to the hill and looking around for Kat.

Jaxler: "Every 'gift' I have ever been given has been stolen from me. So, all I can say is that they probably want me to go to hell."

Midnight sets his crossbow over his back, his expression already returning as the battle ends.

Kat is still talking with Jaxler over the hot topic. "We already are in hell."

Stiletto surveys the scene. "Done with. Good." She says to herself, "Beim nächsten Mal schneller."

Kat flares her wings and leaves the cloud patch, flying down to the group and seeing Glyph looking around.

"Then let us regroup, Miss Stiletto," Midnight says before quickly making his way back to the staging point. Even at a fast trot his hooves are barely heard.

Glaive finishes cleaning his axe and walks toward the center of the badger camp to regroup with the others.

Jaxler flies down, landing next to his kill.

Glaive looks to the landing pegasus. "Nice work, Jaxler. You and the others in the clouds did most of our work for us."

Zearoth strolls back to the staging area, thinking to himself along the way.

Glyph looks up, seeing Kat and waving to her, as he continues walking.

Jaxler bends over and picks up the badger pony’s weapon. It’s a barbed dagger. "Thanks Glaive, you did a great job as well."

Glaive: "Yes, very good shooting, both of you."

Stiletto heads back to the staging area with Midnight and Zearoth.

Midnight: "My apologies. I should have trained a little more before trying something like this."

Jaxler decides to keep the weapon. "Hey, does anypony have a problem with me looting these guys?"

Glaive checks around the campsite for anything worthwhile: stolen goods, something that might give away other badger pony plans for attacks, or valuables. He finds nothing worthwhile, just some iron tools that Dawnpick could melt down as scrap. "Take what you like, I am sure the rest will be taken by the haulers."

Jaxler searched the corpse but found nothing worthwhile aside from the dagger. When he got over to the second badger, he noticed that he wasn't dead yet.

Zearoth: "Everyone needs training. Even I do."

Midnight: "Perhaps. But you managed to hit something. And perhaps you can help me later."

Zearoth "Don't expect me to teach you how to use a rig like this, but I'll try and train you how to use a crossbow."

Midnight: "Thank you, Mister Zearoth," Midnight says and takes a slight bow.     

Zearoth: "Making sure my brothers can fight is something I'm more then happy to do. And please, just call me Zearoth. I don't deserve any title."

Kat spots Glyph looking in the air for something, so she trot up to his side and gives him a little surprise nuzzle. "Looking for something?"

Jaxler lashed the badger's head with his metal chain. he then searched the body and found nothing worth value. "Hey alicorn, I'm gonna head back to the fort."

Midnight: "Very well."

Glyph smiles more, wrapping his hooves around Kat and pulling her close. "Gotcha! Was looking for you mein liebe..."       

Stiletto: "Ok Jaxler, be well."

Kat giggles and sinks into his hug. "Eep!"

Glaive, after finishing his search heads back home in silence.
Midnight smiles at the two ponies hugging, despite the fact that one of them is coated in blood.

Glyph nuzzles Kat a bit, smiling as he notices that he's getting her all bloody. "Looks like you couldn't avoid getting all messy, huh, love..."

Jaxler starts walking home silently.

Kat giggles as she nuzzles back, getting the blood smeared on her as well "Well, where's the fun if not?" she says with a wink.

Glyph grins wider, giving Kat a squeeze, and leaning in to whisper in her ear. "Not quite a hunt, but fun either way..."

Kat grins and giggles from that. "Sure is!"

Midnight cocks his head to the side for a brief moment. Though sets it straight before anyone notices.

Zearoth: "Don't mind them, Midight. Some people don't mind blood."

"Anyway. It's time to go home. There isn't anything for me here," Midnight says before heading off.

Stiletto: "Thank you for your help."

Midnight: "My pleasure. If you need more help, I am happy to take the offer."

Glyph kisses Kat once, then leads her off to get cleaned up.

Zearoth nods. "Thanks for for assisting us as well, Stiletto. I'll be happy to help you again if you ever need it," he says before walking off.

Stiletto: "I will keep you in mind."
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 06, 2012, 05:20:33 pm »

Flux rushes to the hospital.  He had heard a few ponies talking about Falcata being taken there, but not why.  He zips through the door, looking for his friend.

“Falcata?”

From the other side of the room, the figure lying in bed shuffles, the rather-dishevelled looking Falcata poking her head out from beneath the sheets. She's clearly been crying, her eyes red and puffy, but she manages the smallest of smiles all the same.

"Flux. Hi." she murmurs, ever so slightly happier at the sight of her orange friend.

He nervously approaches Falcata, then lays a hoof over her withers.  Though he doesn’t know the specifics of her injuries, it looks like it must have been really painful to make her cry like that.  Didn’t they have painkillers?

“Um... are you alright, Falcata?  I heard you were, uh, in here... but not why.”

Flinching ever so slightly at the question, she steels herself, doing her best to hold her grief in check. He was a true friend, and deserved to know why; but for Glaive's sake, she decides to skirt the specifics.

"Flux, I- I was sparring, with Glaive, and I fell. Tripped, even, on a rock or- or something. I hit my head, hard," she gestures to the bandage wrapped across her forehead, "and, well, I- I blacked out."

Taking a deep breath and fighting to hold back tears, she continues on, albeit much more haltingly.

"But I- I landed badly, when I hit the ground, that is. And-"

She takes another deep gulp of air, now visibly beginning to lose her composure.

"And I- I was pregnant, Flux. But- but when I- when I-"

Falcata finds herself unable to finish, instead beginning to weep quietly, tears rolling down her cheeks as she tries and fails to complete her explanation.

Flux looks confused for a moment before what Falcata’s saying sinks in.  Sorrow shows clear on his face and in his body language.  He says nothing for a while, gently rubbing her withers and just trying to be there for her to share her misery.  He reaches a hoof up to wipe her tears, trying anything he can to help.

After a short while, Falcata manages to calm herself down, suppressing her still-raw heartache enough to speak again.

"Thanks, Flux. Thank you for coming. I'm sorry to be such a mess, it's just-"

She leaves the sentence unfinished, not having the words to describe her feelings. She knows Flux understands what she means, even if he can't quite comprehend the magnitude of her sadness. Again, she offers him the tiniest of smiles, grateful for his company and concern.

He returns the microscopic smile with tears in his eyes.  He couldn’t even imagine the hurt she must be feeling right now.  Something niggles at the back of his mind, and he glances around.

“Uh... where’s Glaive?  Shouldn’t he... be here?”

She glances away, flicking her gaze evasively away from the forgepony. She's deliberately edited her recollection to keep Glaive's involvement out of it, and Falcata now finds herself thinking furiously how to explain his absence without making her husband look cold and heartless.

"He- he was, last night. He brought me here, he waited hours and hours while Panacea and Wool worked, and he- he explained everything to me when I woke up. But- but he didn't take it- he took it badly, Flux. I think it hurt him almost more than- than myself. I think he needed to cope by- by himself, for a while. He got the news before I did, and he- he would have had to sit there, waiting for me to come round, thinking about- about it for so long."

Her eyes water again even at the thought of it.

"I don't blame him. For- for wanting to be alone, that is."

“But... but you are married.  ‘In sickness and in health.’  I... can see why he might want to be alone, but he doesn’t need to be, and neither do you.  Um... should I try to find him?”

Falcata shakes her head slowly. Maybe he's right. Maybe I shouldn't have asked Glaive to leave, maybe I was selfish and cold-hearted to send him away. He must be even more pained than I am.
"No, I don't think that's necessary. He'll come back when- when he's ready to. It's- it's not easy to cope, not for either of us, and if he needs some time to himself to- to come to terms with- with...things, then he deserves it. It- it was his child, as well."

Flux gently rubs Falcata’s withers in a gesture of support.

“Are you sure?  You two are... supposed to help and support eachother.  Especially in times of sorrow like this.  Is there... anything I can do to help?”

He's right, we are supposed to stick together, no matter what happens. Oh gods, what have I done? I need to see him; the sooner the better.

"N- well, I don't know. You're helping just- just by being here for me. I appreciate it, I really, really do. "

She glances at the door, looking slightly worried. Maybe I should ask him to go and find Glaive.

Flux smiles slightly, glad that he can help Falcata at least a little bit. 

“Do you need anything?  A drink, some food?  Maybe some music?”

"No, I'm fine."

Far from it, I feel anything but fine, but I'm not thirsty or hungry.

"I just- all I need is time. And Glaive. And friends - friends like you - to stay by my side. That's all."

She meets his gaze, smiling a small smile and feeling much better, as if a spark of light had been lit in a dark, dark room.

"He and I - we'll get through this. Thanks, Flux. For coming, and for listening - for being here."

“That’s what friends are for, Falcata.  So, um... how’ve you been doing?  Er, apart from this, I mean...”

Eager to take her mind off things, Falcata eagerly follows the new thread of conversation. The two talk on for a long while, Falcata's mood improving all the while as Flux tries and succeeds to raise her spirits. The hurt she had suffered ran deep, but Flux's company helps to pull her further and further out of her previous despair, healing the emotional pain more than anypony save Glaive ever could.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: April 06, 2012, 05:59:47 pm »

Stiletto knocks very lightly on the door to the hospital. Held by her magic is a basket of flowers and herbs. "Hello, Ms. Panacea. Are you in? I wanted to apologize for my recent behavior and make sure our friendship will not suffer."

Panacea looks up from the supplies she was tending to. She opens the door and sees Stiletto there. "Oh, Stiletto... come in. You, um, wanted to apologize?"

Stiletto places the herb basket on a nearby table. "Yes, I should have controlled my temper better, are you going to be ok? I know how scary a pony I am."

Panacea nods and examines the basket briefly. "Oh, yes... thank you. I'm okay. I... saw what happened. I understand how you would be upset."

The basket has many herbs for soothing wounds and promoting healthier recoveries. They must have come from the hill the Badgerponies were sitting on, or at least near it. "I was more surprised that he would brandish a chair at me. I used to think of Glaive as a good and brave soldier. Now..."

Panacea looks aside. "Well... I was surprised, too. I've never seen him get like that before. I wasn't sure what to do..."

Stiletto nods. "You made the right choice by trying to stay away from us. I would have protected you from him. I care about you and your work here at the hospital. I am truly sorry that I disrupted it even for a moment and would like to make amends in anyway I can."

Panacea: "It's alright, Stiletto, and thank you," she replies, laying a hoof on the basket. "These will be very helpful." She looks at the spot where the demolished chair used to sit. "I'm just glad nopony got hurt. Worse... anyway."

Stiletto lowers her head. "I will have it replaced by Sawdust as soon as I can. I also want to donate some traction benches, if you would like."

Panacea forms a small smile. "Thank you, just replacing the chair is enough, but I appreciate the offer." She considers her words for a moment, and adds, "...I... don't blame you completely. If Glaive had said those things to me..."

Stiletto shudders. "You are a kind soul, Panacea, I know what rage can make one do though. Know that I will catch you if you fall." She then smiles. "Old saying where I am from. Sorry if it is confusing. I thank you for your understanding."

Panacea: "I understand your meaning," she replies, maintaining the smile. She takes the basket and moves it over to the shelf of supplies she can sort through it later. "And thank you again for the gift, it will be most helpful."

Stiletto: "You are very welcome, just tell me if you need more. Oh, um would you like to get together for lunch sometime soon? As friends?"

Panacea: "That sounds very nice, thank you," she says, smiling a bit wider. "Things have been pretty slow here for a while, so I can have Wool watch the place for me. Just let me know when you want to get together."

Stiletto almost bounces with delight, but remembers she is in a hospital. "I am free tomorrow. Shall we meet at the dinning hall?"

Panacea nods. "That works for me, I'll see you then."

Stiletto bows. "It is a promise." She hops off with a smile on her face and a song on her lips.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:24:12 pm by TALLPANZER »
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 239