Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225446 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #2520 on: April 14, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »

"You know what, I don't think your even going to come close to thinking of a decent job for me, seeing how every single job you've suggested have all been useless boring wastes of time. And Why the buck are you even trying to help me? I'm pretty confident that by now your aware that I really don't like you."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:57:38 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: April 15, 2012, 02:29:18 am »

"If do not wish to talk to me I shall just leave."

Stiletto goes to talk to Panacea, as that was who she came here to meet in the first place.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: April 15, 2012, 06:51:24 am »

Dawnpick, spring 259.

I uploaded some more stonesense pictures to my deviantart profile. 

Overwiev:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skills:
Lets start with our ponies, and their skills. They go from 0 for Dabbling to 20 for Legendary+5. An actual 0 as opposed to empty space means the pony has some XP in that skill, but not enough to make it to Novice. Blue square means the labour is enabled. Much to my surprise skills seem to actually decrease over time and leak XP. I thought they were just going rusty and then very rusty, which gives a penalty.

Civilian:

Labour recommendations for Telgin:

Social and Miliraty:

Next, military ponies.

Their squads with equipment (Unicorns have shields as well, and Falcata has an extra mail shirt.):

Active squads:

Training schedules:

Advice for Telgin:

Fortress wealth.

The z-screen

Fortress wealth

Notes and suggestions.

!Fighting Stiletto!

Tallpanzer said, Stiletto is much more dangerous than any other soldier, and could solo the fort. Looking at her skills and stats, I found that hard to believe, so I decided to test this hypothesis. 

Method:
I used Runesmith to enable Active Invader flag and change her home civilisation.

First attempt: She killed a few ponies, escaped, and was flying over the hill. I ordered all squads to kill her, soldiers caught up with her one by one and they died quickly. I stopped the experiment after a while, with both Stiletto and a few soldiers left. I didn't change her home civilisation, so a loyalty cascade started. 

Second attempt: I immediately ordered all squads to kill her. Oddly enough, Indigo scored the killing shot to her head, and killed Naginata too. Skill-wise this is very improbable, but DF is so random. This was followed by loyalty cascade, because I didn't change Stitello's home civilisation again.

Third attempt: I changed her civilisation to avoid loyalty cascade. I order the military to kill her. She kills 8 ponies before being shot in the head with masterwork honey badger bone bolt. No loyalty cascade this time, so changing her civilisation helped.

Fourth attempt: Changed civilisation number, didn't order soldiers to kill her, and just let her roam. She got beaten up by Naginata and 2 or 3 other soldiers, escaped outside wounded, and was chased around by Verdant Flash, a Vulture and a dog. She is also shot at with one or two bolts. She spends most of her time wounded or in pain, but manages to escape outside the walls. Her armour protects her from any stray shots.

Fifth attempt: Changed civilisation number, military ordered to attack. She escapes the barracks, then Dawnpick and fights the soldiers on the hill, flying over ponds and drowning Kukri. This tactics turns against her when marksponies arrive. She drops unconscious into the middle of the biggest lake and starts to drown, while marksponies continue to shoot bolts at her. After a while she emerges from the lake, escapes north and drops unconscious. This is outside the crossbow range, but she is attacked by Zearoth and Storm Cloud. Rondel and Glaive join the frey. They continue to hit her, but her armour holds. Meanwhile Balsa goes berserk inside the camp, and a lot of ponies are miserable. Glyph and Indigo join the crowd beating at unconscious Stiletto. She wakes up, runs around a bit and drops to the ground again. The soldiers come and go. Glaive finally puts her down with his axe. 9 ponies died this time. 

Control attempt: Naginata is turned into invader from another civilisation and allowed to roam. She hurts Grapple, is beaten up by Stiletto, and collapses outside barracks, while being beaten up by Verdant Flash, rhesus macaque and a dog. Partisan joins the crowd. Naginata wakes up, and runs, but Storm Cloud fires bolt after bolt at her. Finally Naginata dies by one of those masterwork bone bolts. 

Second control attempt: Naginata is turned into an invader from another civ and the military told to kill her. Stiletto does so quickly with a kick to the head.

Conclusion:
Stiletto is very dangerous, and flies around a lot, but can't quite solo the fort, especially when ganked. She regenerates her wounds freakishly fast. Red and yellow ones just disappear on her. She kills single soldiers of similar skill quickly. The only things that can bring her down, are:
a) Lucky shots to the head. In all tests, if she died at all, it was by brain damage.
b) When a crowd of ponies surrounds her, she gets tired and collapses to the ground. This gives them some time to beat up on her. After a moment she wakes up, runs away and collapses again. This can repeat many times.
c) Crossbows are freaking machine-guns. Even bone bolts can pierce steel, and Storm Cloud put her down in at least two tests.

Telgin, I suggest that you give Stiletto 2 steel caps and some hoods, cloaks and a robe. As long as her head is protected, she's fine.

<--Previous: Relationships and rooms.

Next: Stockpiles, workshops and architecture.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:23:00 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:41 pm »

Thanks for that info dump, Maklak!

Nice to see where Sarissa stands relative to the others.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: April 15, 2012, 01:59:46 pm »

During late winter 258, Indigo sent a letter through the outpost liaison. This is a common method of sending letters to relatives, so it went unnoticed. The effects of this letter won't come into play until the liaison brings his answer in winter 259. Technically you are not supposed to know what is in the letter, and to whom it is addressed, hence the spoiler tag.

((Telgin wants to post an update today, and agreed on this as an element for character development for Virtue, so I'm posting it now.))

Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: April 15, 2012, 06:41:51 pm »

The following takes place the morning after Indigo convinces Glaive to press charges against Stiletto.

and

Virtue is busy reading over the testimonies from Glaive and Panacea as she waits for Stiletto to come speak with her about the fiasco.  She already had a pretty good idea of what she was going to do, and was now trying to work out how to bes be diplomatic about it all...

Stiletto enters Virtue's office, this was beginning to become a recurring event, "Hello Lady Virtue, you need to talk to me?"

"Yes, come in," she says with a weary tone in her voice.  She pushes the testimonies aside.  "Did anypony tell you what this is about?"

Stiletto shakes her head "No, but if I had to guess, I would say it is about the pony that has a grudge against me."

"Yes... that's right," she responds, motioning for Stiletto to take a seat.  "He's gone and collected some testimonies..." she continues, intentionally skipping over the names, "...and is pushing for as severe a penalty as there can be for the damages..."

Stiletto tilts her head "Who exactly is pressing charges, he had better not have harassed other ponies into fulfilling his personal vendetta."

Virtue looks away, no longer able to skim over the details and keep other ponies out of this.  "He convinced Glaive to press charges... he also asked Panacea to tell her side of the story.  She didn't want to press charges herself, but she did tell me all of what happened."

Stiletto close her eyes "I see. This is just a little out of line do you not think? Are citizens normally subject to this level of personal attack?"

Virtue shakes her head.   "It does seem a bit excessive to me... but there's little I can do about it.  Now that charges have been filed, I have to do my job," she says in a low voice.

Stiletto raises her head and nods "I would one thing first, who are the charges filed with?"

"That would be me," she replies, tapping a small stack of papers on her desk.

Stiletto nods "So this will be fully your decisions, with no over sight into your actions? I ask for clerical purposes only."

Virtue nods in turn.  "That's right.  It's just me... and the law," she says, making a small motion toward the dusty tome next to her.

Stiletto sighs "Do you think it will end with this? Will he leave you alone after this?"

Virtue is silent for a moment.  "I... don't know.  I dearly hope so."  She looks up.  "I hope he leaves you alone as well."

Stiletto stands ready "Then I will accept your judgment. What ever it may be."

Virtue lets out a drawn out breath.  "Alright."  She picks up a paper and pretends to read it carefully.  "Indigo pushed for jail time, which I am permitted to sentence you for... but it seems quite excessive.  He also pressed for the largest fine possible, which was several thousand bits."  She gives Stiletto a weak smile.  "But that's also excessive..."

"Since you've already replaced the chair and apologized... I'm only going to give you the minimum fine."  She pauses for a moment, verifying the numbers.  "That works out to six hundred bits.  It's... the least that I can assess."

Stiletto reteaches into he saddle bag and produces one gold dragon that she places on the table "There."

Virtue gives her a slightly confused look.  "Thank you, but that's a bit more than the fine..."

Stiletto looks to the side "Consider it a donation on behalf of the Deutschmeiner nationhood. I will need no more then a note of recondition." *Coughs* "I also do not have anything smaller on me right now." She looks at the ground

Virtue nods and gives her a small smile.  "Thank you.  Perhaps we can put this behind us now... and it would probably be best not to tell Indigo that I lowered the fine."  She sighs.  "I'm sure he will question things when you're not jailed."

Stiletto stands at attention "He might be deterred from further harassment if I was at your door."

Virtue shakes her head slowly.  "I'm sure that would be effective... but I fear it would just agitate him secretly... and he may do worse then."  She smiles.  "But I do appreciate you looking out for me."

Stiletto nods "I would once again like to offer my serves as a royal guard, to your person Lady Virtue."

Virtue continues to smile.  "Again, I fear that might stir up trouble..."  She reflects that so far such a thing would be unnecessary, and hopes it continues to stay that way.  "Fortunately, I don't think I am in any physical danger.  If that changes... well, you'll be one of the first that I speak to."

Stiletto shuffles her hooves. "I worry about you Lady Virtue, I am sorry, but I do. Please come to me, for any help you might need, with anything."

Virtue gives her a single nod.  "Thank you Stiletto.  I really appreciate your thoughts.  If you're going to be alright after this, then so will I."

Stiletto closes her eyes and sighs "If it will bring an end to the harassment. I have nothing against this troubled individual, but from now on he had better leave me and my liebt in peace."  She turns to leave

Virtue watches as Stiletto moves to leave.  "I hope this will be the end of it all too.  I think maybe it finally will be."
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »

The weekly fort update has come!  A massive wall of text menacing with spikes of typoes and hanging rings of dull writing!

Virtue's Diary - 16th Obsidian, 258

Stabbing in the dark with the date on this one.

Indigo came to me again today complaining about Stiletto.  He's concerned now that the mansion she wants to build out on the hills is going to send the wrong message to everypony, and that she is trying to subvert power from me somehow.  I suppose that outsiders might wonder what the mansion is doing out there and if the leader of Dawnpick really lives in it, but it doesn't bother me overly.  I'm more worried about her safety outside of the walls.  She is an accomplished fighter, so I suppose she can take care of her self at least.

I dearly hope that this business with Indigo and Stiletto will be behind us soon.  I'm getting nervous just seeing Indigo sometimes these days, and I worry that this will boil over into outright fighting if it gets much worse.  Please... please... let this be the end of this.

23rd Felsite, 259

Today has been one of those days.  I seem to be having a lot of them lately.

For reasons that I'd rather not record, Jaxler was dismissed from the guard today.  Given what happened, I think it's a blessing that's all he got.  I think Partisan may be a bit like myself, and he didn't want to push things any more than was necessary.  I'll say that Jaxler was relieved from duty, but won't be spending time in jail or suffering any other punishment.

For now I'm not sure what we'll do with him, but maybe he'll be willing to go back to woodcrafting.  We'll have to find somepony else to replace him.

Normally I wouldn't really bother, but I was reminded today how important the guard is.  Two diamond dogs tried to steal from us today, but Kat caught them in the act.  Partisan tells me she managed to slay one, while the other escaped.

She shot up all of her ammo then crushed his skull with a single swipe of her crossbow.

8th Hematite, 259

Now that we've planted some longland grass, we needed a way to mill it.  I considered a hoofpowered mill, but after speaking with the mechanics they told me we could set up a mechanical one without too much difficulty and which would get the job done a lot faster.  I expected them to suggest hooking it up to the water wheels, but instead they suggested building a windmill outside of the walls but inside the moat.  I trust their judgment.

The water wheel is malfunctioning, so I didn't use it.  The water level is too high underneath the wheels I think, since it only runs for a few seconds before shutting off.  I'll try to fix that at some point...

We also finished expanding the dining hall.  It's not quite as crowded as it was before, but we could possibly use more room still.  I'm considering adding a second floor, which would expand the dining hall considerably.

20th Hematite, 259

I feel ill.

We've still been working at relocating the southern wall to square off the encampment, but while removing part of the unnecessary fishing pier, it collapsed and badly hurt two ponies.  Cross Stitch and Amber are both in the hospital now, and Panacea is unsure of their prognosis.  Both of the unicorns had their horns broken off in the fall, while Cross Stitch broke two legs and Amber three.  I'm not a unicorn, but I can only imagine what it must feel like to lose something like magic, after having it your whole life.

It might not be my fault directly, but if we'd left the walls alone nopony would have been hurt.  Why did I order it?  The walls weren't bothering anypony by being uneven.  And now two ponies are in the hospital, and may not live.

First two ponies in the hospital in forever.  Time for Panacea to knock some of that rust off of her diagnosing and for Wool to put his flank into gear.

I'm going to go see Panacea now and find out if anything has changed.  I'm also going to ask her for something for the nausea.  I feel absolutely terrible.

Should have seen it coming.  Actually, I did.  I was watching them deconstruct part of the pier overhang, and was thinking, “Hey, that's going to cause a-”  “A section of the cavern has collapsed!”  I'm thankful nopony died at least.

28th Hematite, 259

I spoke with Panacea about our injured, who she seems to have stabilized, thank goodness, and she told me something unsettling.  Amber has a compound fracture in one of her legs, and Panacea needs a traction bench to immobilize it.  I feel horrible all over again.  There has been a work order for a traction bench in my office for six years now, and I kept forgetting about it or shuffling it under trivialities like making steel.

I immediately went and ordered one to be built.  I can't believe my negligence.  If I had paid a shred more attention to the important things, Amber wouldn't have to wait a day or more to get the treatment she needs.

I think I'm going to have to see Panacea again about something for my nerves.  I feel awful, and I deserve it.

10th Malachite, 259

Something interesting happened today, and thankfully nothing sad.  We had a lone pegasus mare show up at the gates today, claiming she had moved here from Coupledye.  We haven't had any migrants in a while, so I took a little time to talk to her.  Turns out her name is Bubbles, and she was a lye maker in Coupledye.  We don't have a lot of need for lye makers here (Detergent does all we need), but I'm sure we'll find something for her to do.

Turned migrants back on by player request.  Got junk, as expected.  :)

14th Malachite, 259

Purple Prose is six today, and that makes her officially a mare.  We had a little celebration for her, and she started her first day of work this afternoon.  We've had a bit of a shortage of labor at the furnaces, and she expressed a little interest in it, so she's trying that out.  I hope it's to her liking.

We also had a diamond dog try to steal from the armory of all places this morning.  He just made it through the door when he ran into Naginata and Falcata.  I don't think I need to elaborate on what happened.

15th Malachite, 259

Based on what the miners tell me, yet another monster must have turned up in the caverns today.  Thankfully our fortifications down there seem to be holding, so we don't need to fear it, at least for now.

The mechanics also tell me that the windmill we set up isn't generating enough power for our longland grass mill, so I had to organize the construction of a second one.  Hopefully that will be enough.

16th Galena, 259

The zebras arrived today, a caravan and a representative from their government as usual.  I was out by the moat inspecting things when I saw the caravan arrive.  I headed inside to greet them when I ran into a diamond dog.  I was nearly scared out of my skin when I first saw it, but the caravan guards dealt with him.  I was right there when the fight happened, and I don't think I'll sleep well tonight after witnessing that.

Instead of speaking with the traders right away I talked with their diplomat first so he could be on his way.  There wasn't a lot to discuss, as usual, but I was even less talkative than normal after that.

21st Galena, 259

I finished trading with the zebras today.  As has been fairly routine these last few years, we traded them a lot of Skillet's finest work for some exotic food and drink, a lot of leather, and some other supplies for the hospital like cloth and thread.  Cross Stitch and Amber are still recovering, and I don't want to hold that up any over lack of supplies.

While I was carrying some of the things to the hospital, I noticed Falcata occupying one of the craftshops and Glaive standing near her worriedly.  When I asked what was wrong, he told me she had wandered over there like so many other ponies have over the years.  After she set off to find things to work with, with a smile on her face, I tried to reassure him that she would be fine like all of the others, and left to take the supplies to Panacea.

24th Galena, 259

Some badger pony thieves showed up today, but thankfully there was little consequence.  One tried to attack Midnight at the gates, but one of the traps slew him.  Partisan drove a second away with some ineffective shooting, but at least the monster left.

I'm not worried about the thieves though.  I'm worried about Amber.  After I spoke with Panacea, she told me that Amber has contracted a rather bad infection and is having a hard time fighting it off.  She still thinks she's going to be alright, but I could tell from her voice that she wasn't so sure.  I thought the poor mare was going to be fine.  Now, I just don't know.

She's faint from bloodloss, which is how infections cause damage.  Not a good sign, she has infections in all of her legs.

27th Galena, 259

As I was walking through the center of town today, I noticed Falcata proudly carrying a harp back to her and Glaive's room.  When I asked the two about it, they reminded me of the strange mood she had experienced, and the beautiful harp was her work.  I congratulated her on the fabulous work and let the two do with it as they pleased.

19th Limestone, 259

I have mixed feelings on things today, but mostly bad.

First, the good news.  Cross Stitch will be fine.  He left he hospital with a few casts and will recover, aside from being missing his horn.

What absolutely tears my heart out is Amber.  She has gotten steadily worse  every day, and today she looked to be on death's door.  When I went to visit her today, I found all of her family there, holding each other and crying.  I thought Amber must have passed on already, but Panacea pulled me aside and gave me the report.

Amber has a terrible fever from the infection, and has been hallucinating from it.  I watched Amber mumbling to herself and shivering weakly under her blankets, and I joined the family in grieving the inevitable.  After I managed to collect myself a bit, I talked to Panacea a bit more, and she assured me that there is nothing that can be done.

I offered all of Dawnpick's treasury to save her life, if there was something the caravans could bring, but Panacea simply shook her head and broke into sniffling herself.  She told me that there was no way anypony could get out here fast enough, and there was little that could be done even with all of the money in the world.

Amber is going to die.  There is nothing that can be done to save her life.  She is barely a mare, and now she is going to die.  If only I hadn't ordered the walls to be “fixed”, as if there was something wrong with them in the first place.  She wouldn't even be hurt.  But now she is going to die.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so selfish, as if this only hurts me.  Her family was all but inconsolable, and Panacea was little better.  She's never lost a patient in Dawnpick.  Brook and Barley were killed before she even had a chance to tend to them, but she's had to watch Amber grow worse and worse, and now she is going to have to watch her die.

I didn't just feel sick today.  I am sick.  I've spent all the rest of the day locked up in the keep, and I've thrown up several times.  I can't go see Panacea about it.  I can't see Amber again.

By all that is still good in this world, how am I going to stand burying her?

She's pale from the blood loss now.  Usually fatal from infections.

24th Limestone, 259

As horrible as I've felt the last few days, I must say that I don't think I've ever felt so much relief in my life as I have today.  I finally gathered the courage to leave the keep, and I saw Panacea out by the well.  She was almost beaming when she saw me, and told me that by some miracle Amber has started fighting off the infection.  She's a long way from better, and she assured me that it's too soon to be sure she'll live, but she has a fighting chance now.

Someway, somehow, she's getting better.  I'm happy, but not as happy as Virtue!

That put me in a much better mood when I also found out we had three new arrivals in Dawnpick today.  The first two were a new couple, a pegasus mare named Kusari, who used to be a soldier, and an earth pony fish cleaner named Briney Deep.  Kusari will probably be joining the militia, but I'm not quite sure what to do with Briney Deep yet.  I'm sure we'll figure something out.

I was quite surprised when I learned who our third new arrival was.  When I saw him, I thought he looked familiar, being a brown unicorn with one of the most impressive beards I've ever seen.  After speaking with him, it became clear that he was related to Glaive, and he told me that he was Glaive's father!  Fauchard, he said his name was.

I'm sure Glaive will be excited to learn that his father is here!

9th Timber, 259

I've made some mistakes here in Dawnpick, but I think I've made a few steps toward remedying them.  The first is that we finished the construction of a proper chapel to our gods.  We don't have a priest to lead any services, but at least anypony who wants to pray now has a proper place to do it.  I think the gold statues might be a bit overboard, but I didn't want to spare any expense in fixing my mistake of making it look like I favored Grapple over everypony else.

I've also sent the order out to start culling our orchard a bit.  We've got more than enough fruit trees, and less wood than we need, so this will fix two problems with one stroke.

They started pumping out saplings, and now I'm turning into wood to reduce the treesplosion.

16th Timber, 259

Today has to be one of the best days I've seen in Dawnpick.  Well, considering what happened to cause it maybe not so much, but to see Amber better is all I could have possibly asked for.

I heard that Ocean Breeze gave birth today to a pegasus colt that the family named Cross Breeze, and when I went to see the family I saw Amber up on her hooves and talking.  She's still very weak, and she's going to have to learn to live without her horn, but she's going to live, and Panacea told her she could go back to be with her family now to finish recovering.  I wanted to give her the biggest hug I could, but at the risk of hurting her more I just gave her a gentle hug and gave the bigger hug to Panacea for seeing her through all of this.  I don't think a more devoted doctor exists in all of the world.  We owe so much to that pegasus.

The happiness of the new little foal joining us and Amber recovering completely eclipses the fact that we had another attack from the badger ponies today.  As usual, they accomplished little, and the guard drove them off.  From what Partisan tells me, Halberd took the first down with a single stroke of his axe while he and Kat finished the second.  Kat emptied her quiver into the thief, while he put it out of its misery with a shot to the head.

I don't even care.  Amber is better!

16th Opal, 259

After Arbalest came back to his senses, more or less, I thought he would be free to live his life mostly normally.  Today though, he was caught up in a strange mood and has gone off to claim a workshop.  I took a minute to make sure he was okay, and he seems as normal as can be under the circumstances, so I left him to his work.

20th Opal, 259

I've been suspecting I'd get this news for a while now, but Panacea told me that Falcata gave birth late last night.  The poor mare got even bigger than Panacea did when she was pregnant, and unlike Naginata who typically continues to lead training sessions up until the day she gave birth, Falcata has taken the last few weeks off out of sheer necessity (and Panacea's orders).  I half expected Panacea to tell me she gave birth to triplets or quadruplets, but the truth was even more amazing.

She gave birth to twin alicorns!  The parents named the colt Falchion and the filly Balisong, which Glaive tells me is a family name of sorts.  I can't be happier for the couple.  After what happened to them not all that long ago, I hope they will find true happiness with this blessing.  Alicorns are rare enough that we've seen none born in Dawnpick, but to have two at once is unheard of!

25th Opal, 259

Arbalest finished the statue he was working on today.  It must be one of the most ornate statues I've ever seen in my life, and is absolutely beautiful.  It's a fine choice of subject too, depicting King Mouthsavants, the first kind of The Meandering Gloss.  I'm not quite sure what we'll do with the statue just yet, but displaying it somewhere prominently sounds like the best course of action.  Near the well perhaps?  Or outside the dining hall?

Glaze also gave birth today to an earth pony filly the family named Fine Silver for her coat.  The family seemed happy to have another newcomer, but I'm starting to become a bit concerned at just how large their family is growing.  We have a few families with quite a few foals, and I'm thinking we might need to set up some larger housing for them to give them some room.  I'll have to speak to the carpenters and masons about it, but the biggest issue is going to be finding room I think.

I forgot to remove Glaze and Ocean Breeze's pregnancies, which means even MORE foals for them.  Ah well, what's done is done.

8th Obsidian, 259

Today we had quite a scare.  A dragon showed up outside the walls today!  The moment the beast was spotted, the alert rang out and everypony ran for safety while the militia and guard took up their positions.  They planned on sealing the fort with the drawbridge and face the creature outside, but much to their horror it managed to get through the gates before it could be raised.

Sarissa was the first to reach it, and faced it in single combat on the road next to the trade depot.  After seeing the carnage it wrought, I have no idea how she is alive, much less unscathed.  Statues were hurled about the settlement where the beast's mighty claws struck them from their pedestals, the roads were crushed under its feet and the trade depot and bridge were smashed beyond repair.  Both will have to be replaced.

The most amazing part is that the beast's flame breath didn't harm her where it left a great part of the settlement's grass scorched.  Thank goodness the roads managed to halt the blazes, and the damage was mostly contained.

We have a lot of repair work to do, but Sarissa is a hero if there is one among us.  To face such a horrible foe and emerge victorious is an amazing testament to her skill.  And nopony was hurt at all!  I can scarcely believe our luck.

Of course the dragon had to let the parasprites and kittens out of their cages.  Half of them are dead now though, because of the !!grass!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:00:31 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »

((Been sitting on this scene for awhile. Finally time to post it.))

+Fauchard

It is midday of 24th Limestone, 259 and among the new arrivals to the town of Dawnpick is a large muscular unicorn stallion. The stallion has a mostly dark coat and a braided beard, that is starting to grey from age. The unicorn pulls behind him a wagon, filled to the brim with crates covered only by a simple tarp.

Coming to meet the unicorn at the gate are Glaive and Falcata. Glaive looks slightly nervous must mostly is looking forward to this meeting.

Swishing her tail nervously, Falcata stands beside her husband, all of a sudden more self-conscious than she's been in years. Glaive has said a lot about his father, most of it intimidating, if she were honest. She already knew Glaive's family was fairly wealthy, but his father had been a colonel in the army and, according to Glaive, had a highly distinguished service record. Despite her husband's obvious respect for his father and his reassurances that she'd find him a pleasant, kind and honorable pony, it was quite another thing to actually meet Fauchard in the flesh. Watching the wagon and its impressively large load trundle closer, she leans closer to Glaive, whispering in his ear.
"So, uh, just how wealthy is your dad? Because that's a lot of stuff."

Glaive chuckles, “Well, he probably couldn’t bear to be away from his library, I’d bet anything half of that is his books.”
Her eyes widen in surprise. “I hope you’re exaggerating when you say half of that” she gestures towards the heavily laden wagon with a forehoof, “is books.”
So on a scale of one to King Golud, he’s about...a seven? she ponders, trying to work out exactly how many expensive, hoof-made pages a pony could fit under that tarpaulin. That’s...wealthy.

Glaive looks uncomfortable talking about just how much wealth his family has their disposal. “Well, I guess so. The family has had a lot of wealth since my Great-Grandfather made his fortune, and both Grandfather, and Father married above our station, which only made that amount grow with time. But most of it is tied up in property, including Dad’s library.”

After the new arrival makes it over the drawbridge into town, he frees himself from his wagon, and walks up to Glaive, looking him over like a commander inspecting his troops, and suddenly hugs the younger unicorn. After a moment the old unicorn releases him, “Glaive, you look like hell. You have to tell me how you got each and every one of those scars over dinner.”

Glaive frowns at his father, “Have you not been reading my letters father? I have told you everything that has happened already.”

“Of course I have my son, I just want to hear the stories from your mouth.” The unicorn looks to the lovely white mare, visibly pregnant with his future grandfoal, standing next to his son Glaive, he gives a short bow. “You must be Falcata, Glaive has told me much about you. I am Fauchard. It is a pleasure to meet you at long last.”
Falcata briefly considers giving him a bow in return, but on account of her advanced pregnancy she settles for dipping her head respectfully.
"The pleasure is all mine, sir." she replies, doing her best to make a good impression on the imposing stallion.

Glaive speaks up. “How was the journey father?”

“Long and boring,” he replies, “seems either we got lucky, or the bandits knew I was with them.” He says, mostly joking, while gesturing to the other arrivals. “A nice bunch mostly....So where should I put my stuff?”

Glaive and Falcata show the old unicorn to the room they had had Virtue set aside for him. As Glaive carries in the heavy boxes one by one, and begins to unpack them, (Fauchard complains of his ‘bad back’ to skip out on the work, though Glaive doesn’’t believe it, he accepts the excuse.) Fauchard, leaning against his wagon, begins to speak with Falcata.

“So, Falcata, Glaive tells me you’re in the militia. What made a beautiful mare such as yourself take up such dangerous work?”

She reddens slightly at the compliment, taking a minute to think before replying.
"Well, we- I always wanted to be in the town guard, back in Coupledye. My dad, he was a swordspony with the militia caravans, and he always used to tell me about the "adventures" he had on his travels, though I think he exaggerated a little." Falcata says, laughing a bit.
"But anyway, I don't think that was his intent, but he managed to give me a real interest in protecting people, fighting for the good of everypony who can't, I guess. So I joined the town guard as soon as I was able, but...well, you're from Coupledye, you know what the capital is like. There's not much call for warriors there, and- well, it was a bit of a wake-up call for me, moving out here years ago. I'm not sure whether the old me would have been so eager to fight if she knew what it was really like." she sighs.

Fauchard smiles, “A very good answer.” Fauchard waits for Glaive to be out of earshot inside his new home. “So, how did you and my son, become involved together? If you don’t mind me asking.”

"Uh," she stammers, her cheeks going crimson again, "he was- he's a very charming pony, sir. And, um, well, I'm sure he told you about it, but he has a shield, the Touch of Leaves, really nice leather and chainmail thing. He got given it when he saved Sienna from being foalnapped by a thief years back. And, uh, this one time I, um- I got hurt, hurt really bad, fighting a group of thieves and left myself open. I was in hospital for weeks afterward, but...but Glaive came nearly every day. To visit, I mean. It meant a lot to me."

Fauchard nods, as Falcata talks, “Yes, that does sound like my son, but please, you don’t need to call me ‘sir.’ We are family now, you may call me Fauchard.”

She flushes even more, embarrassed. "Sorry, Fauchard. I-"

Glaive comes back out and grabs the last box. “This is the last one father. Are you hungry? We can show you to the dining hall next if you want?”

Fauchard turns toward his son and takes the heavy crate from him as if he had forgotten about his ‘bad back’, “That sounds fine son,” as he carries the box inside himself and sets it down.

The three ponies make their way to the Dining Hall. They each acquire a plate of food and a bit of drink and take their seats around a table.

As they do, a bright yellow stripy filly starts bouncing up to them. “Meow meow meow!” she says as she bounces along. “Hello mister Glaive! Hello mrs Falcata! Hello mister I Don’t Know Your Name!”

Glaive smiles at the filly, “Why, hello Friesden. I’d like to introduce you to my father, his name is Fauchard.” Glaive gestures to his father, “and Father, this is Friesden, I think I told you about her in my letters?”
Fauchard looks at the little filly, while her coat was naturally quite different her eyes reminded him of those of his lost daughter Balisong. He smiles a sort of sad smile at her and says, “It is a pleasure to meet you miss Friesden.”

“Meow meow meow! That’s bunny speak for ‘Hello mister Fauchard! How are you?’.” She bounces up and down a couple of times.

“I’m doing just fine, miss. Glaive just helped this old stallion move into his new apartment, and we are sitting down for dinner. Would you like to join us?” inquires Fauchard.

“Um...Can I, mister Glaive and mrs Falcata?” she asks, looking to each of them in turn, before bouncing up and down a couple of times.

“Uh, sure! That is, if you’re okay with it?” queries Falcata to the two unicorns.

“Of course you can join us.” Glaive says pulling out a chair for the filly with his magic.

“Thank you mister Glaive!” says Friesden as she bounces into the chair, flapping her wings a couple of times to get the clearance.

“So, Friesden, how are you today?” inquires the older unicorn, between bites of his dinner.

“Good! I’m really good! Almost-dad says I’ve almost done enough work to get my pet bunny! It’s going to be so cute! And fuzzy and warm and it’s going to be the best!” She takes a couple of bites from the food, and turns to Glaive. She tries to ask something, but the food in her mouth makes it come out as a mumble.

Glaive gets a serious expression, across his face. “Friesden, didn’t I tell you not to speak with your mouth full? Try that agian.”

Friesden swallows her food, and then tries again. “Did you and Falcata try getting a new one?”

Immediately, a chunk of food diverts itself down Falcata’s windpipe (a piece of cupcake finally attempting to avenge his many fallen brethren) as she recoils in shock, sending her into a fit of coughing and spluttering.
“Ack-” she chokes, unable to formulate a reply.

As Falcata descends into her coughing fit the two unicorns stand to try and help her. “Falcata are you okay?” they ask as they come to her sides.

“Mrs Falcata? Is something wrong? What’s wrong?” Friesden asks in an anxious tone.

Having managed to dislodge and properly consume the offending morsel of food, Falcata takes a second to think carefully.
“Thanks, Fauchard, Glaive. Um, Friesden, to answer your question- uh, yes. Yes we did.” she replies, hoping against all hope that Fauchard won’t question what Friesden means by “another one”.

As the two unicorns retake their seats, Fauchard looks over to the couple, “What’s she talking about? A new what?”
Falcata finds her hope snuffed out like a candle at bedtime, and she slides slowly down her seat, feeling very ill at ease.
Glaive looks awkward, not liking the direction this conversation was going. “Uh, I’ll...I’ll tell you when we get home, dad.”

Fauchard looks confused before the realization sinks in, “Oh, yes of course.”

Friesden thinks for a second. “Meow meow meow meow meow!” she eventually comes out with. “That’s bunny speak for ‘What do you do mister Fauchard?’.”

Happy to change the subject Fauchard turns back to the filly, “Well I used to be colonel in the royal army, but that was years ago. I’m retired now. Now I spend my days relaxing, or exercising my mind and body.” He pauses for moment, “and what is it that you do miss Friesden?” he asks her.

“Um...I’m a bunny! Meow meow meow,” Friesden replies.

Fauchard laughs and says, “So I see. You make for a very good bunny.” as he messes up her mane, with his forehoof.
“She always has,” smiles Falcata, sitting up straight again now that the conversation is back on track.

“Indeed she has.” adds Glaive, a pause in the talking follows, until it is broken a few moments later by Glaive once more, a bit of genuine concern in his voice, “So, Friesden, how is it living with Glyph and Kat? Are they taking good care of you?”

“Um...Scary lady and almost-dad? They’re nice...They didn’t like me being a bunny and almost-dad didn’t want me to get a pet bunny...but they’re okay with it now! They leave me alone sometimes when they go to see the buffalo lady. But it’s okay. That’s when I get to do the other thing I like to do!” she says with a brightening smile on her face.

Glaive turns to his father and whispers, “Buffalo Lady is her name for that alicorn, Stiletto, that I told you about.”

“I see,” is all Fauchard says at first, before he adds, “...And what is the other thing you like to do Friesden?”

In answer, Friesden finishes her mouthful, and starts flying rings around Fauchard’s head. “I like to fly around until I’m dizzy!” she says in an excited tone as she does so.
Falcata giggles at the young pegasus’ enthusiasm, recognising the same joy for flight she herself had always experienced reflected in the circling yellow figure.
Fauchard chuckles as the filly flies around his head. ‘Those two should not leave a little filly her age alone, unsupervised.’ “You know Friesden, when they leave you alone, you are welcome to come and visit me. I could show you some of the knickknacks I’ve picked up over the years, and I don’t really have any friends in Dawnpick yet.”

“Really? Can I? That sounds fun!” Friesden says as she slows down and eventually flies back over to her seat and sits down.

Fauchard smiles at her, “Absolutely, also, I brought some of Glaive’s old toys and such, they were meant for the new foals, but you can play with them whenever you visit if you like.”

“Thank you mister Fauchard!” Friesden says and she hops out of her chair again and flies over to give him a hug.

Fauchard returns the hug, as Glaive watches in contented silence at the scene before him. He hadn’t seen his father look this happy since before his sister’s murder, all those years ago.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 15, 2012, 10:45:36 pm »

Sarissa's Diary - 16 Obsidian, 258

There has been a lot of tension between Indigo and Stiletto lately, which really is no surprise to me. It came to a head today, where Virtue ultimately decided to go with Indigo's decision to punish her for her behavior. Stiletto was fined 600 bits, but what does that mean to a rich girl like her? Virtue might as well have not done anything at all. I'm a bit concerned about the division she is causing in the fort; I do
not want Dawnpick to break into two factions. Plus, the gross lifestyle that little harlot leads is certainly no good influence on the lot of us...

23rd Felsite 259

I can't say that I was ever really that fond of Jaxler after finding out about his drinking problem (it reminds me too much of my mother...), but today I found a new reason to think lowly of him. It turns out that he's wanted for thievery, though I can't say for sure what it is that he's stolen. Although he says that he came to Dawnpick to give up that style of life, I can't bring myself to trust him. I really think his room should be searched for any such pilfered goods. Thankfully, I was able to escort Jaxler to a cell without incident.

Partisan was going to demote him for other reasons (which I can agree to), but Jaxler responded by completely resigning and then proceeded to attack him! Partisan and Kat managed to get the better of him and he ended up in the hospital with a head injury. Part of me wants to laugh at the situation; that drunk finally got his flank handed to him for making a bad decision. On the other hand, I feel disgust and disappointment that someone as highly regarded as a guardspony would stoop so low as to attack a fellow guard in anger. I really hope Partisan pursues justice for that foolish action. Maybe this experience will humble him enough to reconsider his ways.

16 Galena, 259

Another Diamond Dog showed up today, but it was dead by the time I found out about it. Argh, why am I
always elsewhere when these situations arise?! I want to get involved in a real fight again! I train so much but my skills are needed so rarely...

Oh, I do have some good news, though. You know that Vitalsight spell that I had been working on for the past few months? I've finally got it to work to a usable degree! Trying to come up with new spells from scratch isn't my forte, it seems; I had to go read some literature on existing spells to overcome some serious impediments to its function. So far, it seems to do what I want it to. When I activate it, my vision is altered so that I'm able to see the blood in living creatures. It's certainly a weird thing to see, especially since everything that
isn't blood becomes black and indistinguishable in that mode. A walking circulatory system made of glowing red light can be a creepy thing to see, but I'll get used to it. Anyway, it should be useful in a battle since I'll be able to see areas of high blood flow and therefore the location of vital organs in my enemies. It'll also come in handy when making sure that my opponents really are dead and not just faking it; the blood in a beating heart will betray their deceptive efforts!

19 Limestone, 259

There seems to be a lot of commotion and depression in the fort today. The pony known as Amber had fallen victim to an accident a while back, but she's only gotten worse due to an infection. Many suggest that she will die. Although I don't know her on a personal basis, I do wish her family the best in dealing with this tragic event. I know there is nothing I can do personally, since I'm no medic.

16 Timber, 259

It turns out that Amber has managed to fight off the infection and is going to be just fine. Well, minus a horn, that is. Poor thing. I couldn't imagine losing my own horn, especially as useful as my telekinetic magic is in battle.

8th Obsidian, 259

Today was
awesome! Well, okay, maybe I shouldn't say awesome, since some bad things did happen. I guess what I meant was that I finally managed to take joy in battle again. A dragon wandered into Dawnpick and I killed the thing by myself! Did you read that?! I KILLED A DRAGON! I didn't even get hurt in the process. Now I can add a dragon skull to my trophy collection, which should look quite impressive if I do say so myself. It's too bad that it managed to destroy some of our property before I reached it, but at least nopony lost their lives.

Something strange also happened today; I found out that my Vitalsight doesn't work on dragons; it was completely invisible in that mode. I know that the thing
did have blood, since I managed to spill quite a bit of it. I thought at first that it might have been because the dragon had green blood, but I can't imagine why that would make a difference. That event prompted me to do some experimenting, so I decided to test Vitalsight on a variety of different animals. Ponies always show up just fine, as do cats. Then I tried looking at fish. It didn't work. The same thing happened when I tested it on a wild lizard. Nothing. Can my Vitalsight only see mammal blood? Why is that? I'm going to do some more experimenting and tweaking to see if I can fix this problem. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:27:21 am by Kryptid »

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: April 16, 2012, 04:19:16 am »

+Fauchard

Glaive, Falcata, Friesden, and Fauchard make their way around the town. It is the day after Fauchard's arrival and they are showing him all that there is to see. The tour doesn't take long, and the final stop along the way is the barracks. A few ponies are training, but it isn't as full as it would have been earlier in the day.

Fauchard takes a look around and sees all the wooden training weapons sitting in their racks, and he gets an idea.

Friesden flies over to the weapon racks, looking over the different wooden weapons, before trying and failing to lift one up. With a slight shrug and a quiet “Meow,” she flies back over to Falcata and starts flying around her head again.

"Son, why don't you show me how much you've improved since we last saw each other?" says Fauchard as he makes his way over to the wooden weapons and picks out a training axe and wooden shield for himself.

Glaive smiles, he had been hoping for a chance to spar with his father again after all these years apart. Glaive walks over to Falcata, kisses her cheek and places his metal axe with her. "Look after this for me."

The pegasus grins back, already looking forward to watching the two spar. She already knows of Glaive's worth as a warrior, and she’s extremely interested in finding out just how good his dad is by comparison.
"I'll make sure nopony steps on it, don't worry!" she says, laughing. Oh, this is going to be good!

Friesden slows down her spinning around Falcata and eventually sits down.

Glaive makes his way over the weapon racks and picks out a wooden axe as well, and the two stallions make their way to the clear area designated for sparring.

Falcata watches the two taking their places, eyes flicking between each of them in turn. To her, they both look utterly impassive, their expressions neutral as those of a couple of masks. She shivers in anticipation.

Glaive and Fauchard lock eyes. Their faces betray nothing. They size each other up without making any hostile movements for a long time, 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds pass with them circling each other, then in a flash they leap at each other.

Glaive swings his axe down from above at his father's head, while Fauchard swings low for Glaive's legs. Both axes strike not pony flesh, but thud against shields.

A dozen more blows pass in half as many seconds. Axes crash into wood. Magic flashes. Hooves stomp. Before the two ponies leap backwards, separating themselves.

The two ponies stare each other down again. Several seconds pass and then Fauchard spies an opening in Glaive's defenses and lunges forward again. Glaive takes advantage of the lunge however and delivers a magic shockwave into the old, off balance unicorn. Fauchard is staggered but doesn't fall. Glaive takes another swing at his father, Fauchard barely manages to pull himself back far enough to avoid getting a face full of axe, but Glaive's weapon does manage to hook onto Fauchard's blade. The axe is suddenly yanked out of the older unicorns mouth and flies through the air in an arc.

Having disarmed his opponent, Glaive feels a sudden rush of joy. He'd done it! He'd finally bested his father, when suddenly he is on the ground and his head hurts worse than a hangover after drinking with Jaxler.

To the onlookers the last bit is over in a flash. Fauchard lunges, a flash of magic, and Glaive is on the ground, both ponies disarmed.

Falcata winces. Ouch. Did he forget his dad still had hooves and magic? Nevertheless, the fight has impressed her. Glaive's ability she already knew, but Fauchard was up there with him, even after (by the look of him) being out of practice for years.

Fauchard helps his son to his hooves, "Sorry, didn't mean to hit you that hard Glaive."

Glaive just groans, his head spinning.

"You've gotten better Glaive, but you still focus too much on the external weapon. You forget that the pony behind the blade is just as dangerous. But you did good son." He puts his forehoof on Glaive's withers.

Glaive manages to regain some coherence. "ug. What hit me."

Fauchard holds up his other forehoof, "This did. Sorry about that again, son."

"Ug. No problem father. I'll be okay."

Friesden hops over to Fauchard and Glaive. “Meow meow Meow meow? That’s bunny speak for ‘Are you okay, Mr Glaive?’”

Glaive touches his forehoof to his head and looks at the filly. “Yeah, I’m okay, it’s just a bump.” he smiles weakly at her.

She gives him a quick hug. “Meow meow meow. That’s bunny speak for ‘That’s good’.”

Not entirely convinced by Glaive's self-assessment, Falcata advances on the unicorn.  "Are you sure you're okay? Your father, uh, he hit you quite a thump."

Glaive nods to his wife, “Yeah, I’m okay.” he looks over to his father. “Heh, I really thought I had you this time.”

Fauchard chuckles, “You nearly did. Maybe you will next time.”

Glaive places the training weapons back in their rightful place with his magic. “Maybe.” he mumbles.

Friesden flies over to Glaive’s side. “Mister Fauchard, he isn’t this mumbly most of the time, honest!”
"Comes close, though," mutters Falcata, teasingly.

Fauchard looks at his son while Glaive speaks up. “Don’t worry Friesden. I promise I’m okay, the only thing father hurt is my pride.”

"Fauchard, you really know your way round an axe! Do you have any plans on, y'know, maybe joining up with the militia? We could use great fighters such as yourself, especially with those...things that everypony keeps hearing down in the caverns." asks Falcata, hopefully.

Fauchard shakes his head negatively, “No Falcata, I’m retired now. I...I’d be happy if I never have to kill another thing again. No, I came here to be with my family, including my grandfoals, when they are born, and I’ll fight to protect them, or anypony else should something get past your militia, but I’m not going to join up. I’ve seen enough death.”

Friesden hops over to give him a hug. “That’s okay Mister Fauchard, I don’t like hurting things neither!”

Fauchard returns the filly’s hug, “That’s good to hear, and I hope you never have to.”

The pegasus nods her head in understanding. "I know what you mean. All right. It's still reassuring knowing you're on our side, at any rate."

“Thank you for understanding.” He looks at Glaive. “I’m sure he’s okay, but we should probably let the doctor look at him anyway.”

“That’s not...” starts Glaive, before being cut off. “Yes that is necessary, you don’t want to worry these two do you, son?” interrupts Fauchard.

Glaive forgoes any more arguments and the group head off toward the hospital where Glaive is given a clean bill of health.

FIN

((Another scene this one happens the day after the last one.))
Fauchard +

Fauchard makes his way down the busy streets of Dawnpick. It is mid-day and the ponies are all going about their own work. It is only his third day in Dawnpick, and he feels quite naked walking down the street without his axe. Fauchard heads directly to his destination, the main keep in which he knew Baroness Virtue did her job of managing the small mining town. He entered and knocked on her office door.

Virtue looks up from the book she was skimming through to see Glaive... no, Fauchard standing in the doorway.  “Oh, hello!  Can I help you?”

Fauchard bows to the lady, “I, Fauchard, father of Glaive who I believe you know, would like to request an audience with you, milady, if I may be so bold.”

Her face goes through a couple of curious expressions at the formality. She finally settles on a small smile. “Oh, um, well of course.” Her smile grows a bit. “No need to be so formal.”

Fauchard rises, “It is good to hear you say that. Seems Glaive was right to speak so highly of you.” He moves to take a seat opposite of Virtue. “I would like to inquire after a curious law you have here in Dawnpick that my son has informed me of.”

She quirks an eyebrow almost imperceptibly at the compliment, but simply nods as he takes a seat and asks, “Of course, which one?”

Fauchard looks her in the eyes, and say, “Well, my son tells me that you only allow the militia, guards, and hunters to carry weapons in town. This causes me no small distress.”

“It... distress?”  She cocks her head slightly.  “Why is that?  It’s something we put in place some time ago, since it seemed a sensible thing to do once everypony was more or less safe and the militia had everything under control.”

“Well, I’m an old stallion stuck in his ways, and I’ve not been without a weapon by my side in over 70 years. I feel naked without it. I brought my old axe with me, but at Glaive’s request I left it locked up in my room. But I wouldn’t feel right just leaving it there forever.”

She nods slowly and considers what she could do about it.  She wasn’t sure she was willing to just let anypony go running around with weapons, the next thing that would meet her ears would surely be Indigo taking a swing at Stiletto, but maybe she could make an exception on a case by case basis?  “I see... well... truth be told, we put the rule in place as a stop gap and as a blanket preventative measure.  It probably wouldn’t be all that much of a problem to allow certain ponies to carry them.”  She pauses and considers things for a moment.  “You say you’ve used it for some time now?  Are you part of the militia anywhere?  Coupledye?”

Fauchard smiles, and then laughs, “I see. Glaive hasn’t said anything to you about our family, that’s good, that’s very good. I guess I raised him better than I thought.” he says jokingly, “Aye, I was in the Royal Army for most of my life, made Colonel before I retired, could have made Brigadier General if I stayed on, family things got in the way of that.” He looks reflective before adding, “My son, Glaive, he is only carrying on the family legacy by joining your militia here. My whole family has been warriors since my grandfather carried Widowgrief in the Zebra wars.”

The Zebra wars?  Impressive.  “Oh, I didn’t realize I was talking to somepony so accomplished!”  She tries to wipe the goofy smile that had made its way onto her face and adds, “Glaive has certainly done us proud here... I’m sure he’s told you about all of that though?”

Fauchard nods, “Well he’s told me a great deal, though he tends to emphasize the actions of the others over himself, but I suspect he’s just being modest, he is more skilled than he knows, or at least then he will admit to knowing, or maybe I’m just biased. I’d hardly be the first father to think over-highly of his son.”

Virtue thinks about her own foals and returns the nod. “All of my children are quite young still, but I could certainly see thinking highly of them.” Her face flushes a bit as she realizes that came out pretty badly and she quickly goes on to say, “Oh, but um, I suppose we’re drifting a bit off topic.” She taps a hoof nervously and says, “I... don’t think there would be a problem with you keeping your weapon with you. I certainly believe you know how to use it without hurting somepony you didn’t mean to.” Her face colors slightly again as she realizes that yet again that could have negative implications. “I mean, I trust Glaive completely, and you’re his father.”  She finishes with a small nervous smile.

“It is a great relief to hear that milady Virtue, but if I’m to be a lone exception...I don’t want this to cause trouble for you if others will complain about it, and I certainly don’t want them thinking I’m getting special treatment because of any perceived higher status or bribery.”

She nods understandingly.  “Well... we don’t strictly need anypony else in the militia, but if you were interested in joining it in some capacity...?  That might deflect any concerns.”

Fauchard nods his head no, “Milady, I’m retired, I don’t wish to go looking for any more fights, and I certainly don’t wish to join the militia in any sort of full time duty.” He pauses for awhile before adding, “But, I suppose I do have a lot of experience leading troops. I could serve as a military advisor if you ever require such expertise, and I’m willing to show your recruits a thing or two of what I remember.”

“Oh, of course,” she replies.  He was retired, surely he wasn’t looking to get into active duty again.  The training suggestion though... “I think you helping to show some of the soldiers a few things would be most welcome.  I don’t think anypony in the militia would have any problem with that.  And that I think would certainly give you reason to carry a weapon around.”

Fauchard stands from his chair and bows to Virtue once more. “Then thank you very much milady, I put my expertise and knowledge such as it is, at your service, and at that of your troops. But for now, I must see to my axe, she must be feeling quite lonely.” and with that he turns to leave Virtue’s office, intending to head straight home.

She stands as he does and moves to join him at the door.  “Alright then.  I’m going to go speak to the captains and see what they have to say about it.  I’m sure they’ll be agreeable.  You may want to drop by the barracks this afternoon and talk with them for yourself.”

Fauchard nods in agreement as the two part ways, with him heading to the dorms and Virtue to the barracks.

(End Scene)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: April 16, 2012, 04:42:55 pm »

((the following takes place a 1.5 weeks after Jaxler being chained down to a hospital bed))

Jaxler was down in the crypts, sitting next to an all too familiar coffin. He hadn't had a single drop of booze sense he ended his drinking binge six days ago. Jaxler had spent an endless amount of time in the moldy mausoleum, just thinking about himself and his endless line of screw-ups and misfortune, and how he managed to lose the only job he half-enjoyed. Another thing that worsening his already melancholic mood was the fact that he couldn't even walk around with his crossbow anymore, and had to keep it hidden away in his coffer. "Damnit Barley, Da' hell do you haft to be the lucky one."

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:51:52 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: April 16, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »

Ooh, Sarissa would be quite happy to meet a veteran like Fauchard and learn some fighting tips from him. That training in the barracks idea sounds good.

This is the scene where Sarissa encounters the dragon mentioned earlier.

8th Obsidian, 259

The weather was rather good today, with mild temperatures and a clear sky. Sarissa had just completed a personal weaving project and had decided to get a breath of fresh air outside. At any rate, the bright sunlight would help her examine her work more fully. Despite the fact that she was off duty at the moment, she had the compulsive tendency to wear her armor whenever she roamed outdoors. Elegy and her shield were fastened onto the sides of her flanchards in order to free herself to focus on the tourniquet she had just completed. She had chosen to make it out of red fabric to minimize the effect that any blood stains would have on its appearance. The unicorn was rather pleased by how it came out.

Sarissa tucked it away under the plates of her armor, ready to use it whenever the need may arise. Now what would she do? Roam around the grounds of the fort waiting for something interesting to happen? She did that on a fairly regular basis and was often disappointed. Maybe today would be different, but she wasn't hopeful. If nothing came up, perhaps she could go practice her aim by hacking into some dead trees in the apple orchard. Yeah, that sounded like a good plan.

As she considered her options, Sarissa stopped in her tracks. There was some commotion in the distance. Her ears twisted as the mare tried to pick up the nature of the noise, noting the sounds of galloping and yelling from members of the fort. Narrowing her eyes, Sarissa changed direction and trotted in haste towards the source. She could see several ponies running indoors, shouting something about a monster. A monster?
"Aw yeah!" the copper pony said under her breath as her pace increased to a gallop. Using her telekinesis, she pulled Elegy from her side and wielded him by the handle from her mouth. She quickly followed the action by unlatching her shield and holding it just in front of her with the emerald glow of her magic.

What kind of creature was this? Where was it likely to be? Was it already on fort grounds? The most logical place to look would be the entrance. She ran at full tilt in the predicted direction, her ears soon being met with the sound of deep-throated roars. Looks like she was right on the money! Sarissa eyed the drawbridge, which was in the process of being raised in order to protect Dawnpick from the threat just outside. It was too late. The beast placed its great weight on the bridge, causing it to slam back down with an echoing thud. The sudden falling of the bridge caused its wooden construction to be cracked down the middle. The damage was further increased as clawed feet dug into its surface.

Now she could plainly see what it was; a large dragon clad in dark violet scales. It was much larger than any pony. Its green eyes darted back and forth as it seemed to consider its option for targets. Excellent! Her pulse began to race as she salivated in anticipation of the battle just ahead of her. Now she'd have the opportunity to test her new Vitalsight spell in real combat. Why don't we see where your weak spots are? Sarissa's horn emanated its characteristic green light as the flowing magic turned her eyes a bright white color. The world faded into blackness, her sight primed to view only the blood content of the dragon's body. She was left speechless; nothing was showing up. She tried it a second time. Still no good. Before she had time to ask herself what was wrong, the reptilian behemoth had made its way over to a nearby marble statue. In a second, the clawed feet of the dragon had shattered it. It next used its massive tail to smash into one of the walls of the trade depot. The unicorns eyes widened for a moment before narrowing in anger. No more time to fool around.

"Hey!" Sarissa mumbled through her occupied mouth as she ran towards her opponent. It seemed to be ignoring her as it had decided to smash yet another statue. That wasn't acceptable. Arriving at the dragon's side, the unicorn gave the monster a wake-up call by plunging her ax into the flesh of its right front foot. It released a deafening cry of pain as lime-colored blood poured from the wound. Green, huh? That was unexpected. The reptile gritted its teeth in a rage as it turned to face the militia pony. This was followed by a rush of brilliant flames that issued in quantity from its now gaping maw. Military instincts kicked in, causing Sarissa to raise her shield as she crouched down behind it. The stream of fire was deflected by the flat face of the metal, scorching the grass around the unicorn.

Looking up from behind her now-smoking shield, she could see that the dragon's grimacing face was mere feet away from her. She acted reflexively, propelling the shield telekinetically towards it with force. It caught the beast in the mouth, causing it to recoil with a grunt of displeasure as one of its teeth was knocked loose from its lower jaw. Despite its size, this monster didn't seem to tolerate pain very well; time to take advantage of this short-coming. Sarissa traded the placement of her shield and her ax, now gripping the protective plate of metal from behind with her teeth and hoisting Elegy with her telekinetic magic. The fighter raised her weapon high into the air, bringing it down just behind the dragon's twisted horns. It sliced through the purplish-black scales at the base of the neck, plunging deeper until it had severed the spinal chord. In response, it fell to the ground as strength left its legs.

A toothy grin began to creep up onto Sarissa's face. Now it was paralyzed...delicious. She released the shield from her jaws,
"You chose to attack Dawnpick, a foolish and ultimately fatal decision on your part. Now I will take what is mine!" The little pony magically pulled the green-stained blade from the back of the dragon's neck. Then plunged it in again. Yanked it out a second time, then brought it down once more. She continued to chop at the prone beast's thick neck as if she were a lumberjack attempting to bring down a tree. Her smile stretched from ear to ear as she cackled in sheer joy. Bright green blood flowed and splattered until she finally sliced all the way down through the dragon's windpipe. The head was now severed.

"You'll make a beautiful addition to my collection..." she stated softly to the deceased monster as she rubbed the scales on its forehead with a hoof. Sarissa was snapped from her thoughts as she noticed the flames from the burned grass had begun to spread. Several other ponies were trying to put out the fire. Her eyes widened as she ran to help quell the blaze. The unicorn continually bashed the grass with her shield in an attempt to halt the spread. Eventually, the situation was brought under control. Unfortunately, quite a bit of vegetation had been torched and the stench of gray smoke lingered in the air. There had been a lot of damage done, but at least nopony seemed to have been harmed by this incident. Sarissa felt a bit guilty that she hadn't stopped the dragon before all of this had happened, but at least she'd offer to help rebuild anything that had been damaged.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:02:44 pm by Kryptid »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 16, 2012, 04:52:13 pm »

I was really starting to worry about Jaxler.  I hadn't seen him in a few days, not since shortly after he stopped his binge.  Thankfully, there were few places to hide around Dawnpick.  Well, except for the clouds, but I couldn't go search them, could I?  As it was, I was fast running out of places to look for him.  He wasn't in the booze stockpile, or his room, or the mines.  I even checked the church, but he wasn't anywhere!  In desperation, I check the last place I can think to: the crypts.  To my surprise, I actually spot him next to a coffin, looking quite morose.  I slowly descend the stairs, trying to think of something to say.

"Um... Jaxler?"
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: April 16, 2012, 05:01:00 pm »

Jaxler's trance was broken by the sound of a pony's voice coming from the stairs. When Jaxler raised his head and looked over at the steps he realized that Flux had found him. "Damnit... What do you want Flux?"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: April 16, 2012, 05:03:24 pm »

"Um... just been looking for you.  I...uh... how are you doing?"
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 239