Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225529 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #2700 on: April 20, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »

"I have no doubt," Friesden answered.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05:43 pm »

"Okay then. Here is the tale of two diamond dog brothers named Spifzen and Fregly of the thieves guild. Now, the two Brothers were identical twins and looked identical to one and other. They were completely equal in almost every aspect of there physical being. They were also the smartest Diamond dogs you would have ever met, I mean they could even best a five star general in a game of chess, and they were undoubtedly the best thieves of there entire clan. NO, there entire civilization. Now, the only difference the thieves had was that Spifzen was very inpatient. He was always looking for cheep tricks and short cuts to get his gold but Fregly would always take his time. And one day, They heard of a Dragon's cave, full of unimaginable treasurers. We're talking gold rings, giant cave spider silk dressed, platinum plates, star rubies, diamonds, Basically any and every kind of swag you can imagine, and even some that you cant. Now Spifzen, devised a plan. Turns out the dragon's cave had a Pond in it, and he planed to use his legendary stealth to sneak up and steal from the dragons hoard and run into the water avoiding the dragon's fire. But Fregly said that it would be best to wait for the dragon to leave his lair and go on another rampage, which could take months. In the end Spifzen pulled a knife on his Brother and told him that he had to come with him. Now once the diamond dogs entered the lair Spifzen went along with his plan, and succeeded, but little did he know that if enough Dragon fire is shoot at something it will burn, Even if its covered in water. Now Fregly noticed that the dragon was distracted by his treasonous brother and pounced on the opportunity and walked up to the dragons hoard and stole enough gold to feed him and his clan for a life time.

Now kids, what do you think is the moral to the story?"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:09:16 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 20, 2012, 10:13:41 pm »

"Always use your greedy and impatient friend as a decoy?" Granite answered.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 20, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »

"Caution and patience are as necessary as skill."
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:49 pm »

"Yes Friesden, that is one moral of the story. Another Moral would be don't betray ponies, or diamond dogs, or any intelligent being that has earned your trust, But especially diamond dogs."

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 20, 2012, 10:23:36 pm »

"I was way off..." Granite smirks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:26:05 pm by L1wW »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:47 pm »

Friesden's Diary.

On that day of death, I was reborn
From the horrors of battle on that morn
Renewed, newly forged, I did emerge
From my innocence I was shorn

And before even hearing of the dirge
Into myself I didst submerge
The change, from life to decease
And from our fortress them did we purge.

And at last, even as our peace
No longer full, it doth decrease
And once more we wield War’s Scourge
From peace today, we are forsworn.

In bone do we mark our desire
For peace not to be put to the pyre
But now to want peace is proscribe
And now ‘War!’ is the message of the crier

As with these words I transcribe
So too will I endure the jibe
Those who speak against us will fall
And in our war will end their tribe

Our soldiers are ready for this brawl
Their soldiers are instead set for the pall
Their food and drink we will imbibe
And their civilisation will expire.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 20, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »

"ug... So anypony here wanna go visit Ms. Kat? She's in the hospital right now and would probably love to see all your smiling faces!" said Jaxler in a nervous tone as he realizes that he doesn't exactly know how to run this place and he might need to seek some advice.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:33 pm »

"That would be good, master Jaxler. I need to pay my respects to her."

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:33 pm »

"Jaxler I would say that this is a stupid idea, but it's a funny stupid idea. Let's do it!"

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 21, 2012, 01:16:44 am »

((This scene takes place hours after the last scene with Virtue and Glaive))

It is early evening of the day of Glaive’s talk with Lady Virtue. Storm Cloud is taking the first night shift and Glaive is returning to his home. A smile on his face and eager to tell his wife the good news. It is later than usual when Glaive reaches the door. “Fal, I’m home” he says as he walks inside.

Having just put the foals to bed, Falcata has just been dozing off herself, sprawled out on a chair, when Glaive strides inside. Jerking awake, she smiles wanly at the unicorn, yawning and stretching as she does so. "Hi, Glaive," she mumbles, rubbing her eyes. "Where have you been, then?"

Glaive closes the door quietly as not to wake the foals and smiles to Falcata and dives straight into what he couldn’t wait to tell her, “I had a talk with Lady Virtue this afternoon. She has decided to form a private guard for herself. She chose me first.”

Falcata sits up straight at the news, surprised. "She did? You were? Did you accept? And who else is part of this guard?" she queries, launching a barrage of questions.

Glaive nods, “Yes, I accepted. She asked me for recommendations for the other position, and from those she picked Storm Cloud. He’s giving up being mayor in order to take the job."

She frowns, pride in her husband turning itself quickly into puzzlement. Either she's not following his meaning, or...
"...other position? But surely she will need a twenty-four hour guard? What's the point if- unless-"
Her frown becomes even more severe, but she gives him a chance to speak, unwilling to jump to any conclusions.

“Yes, other position.” Glaive frowns, “There are only the two of us in it for now. We’ll have to be working alternating 12-hour shifts, for awhile.”

"Twelve hours?!" she exclaims, keeping her voice low. "For a while? Glaive, I hate to burst your bubble, but you have two young foals now! Where are you going to find the time for this? Or have you ascended beyond the need for sleep now?" She doesn't need this, not now. First the rainbow ponies, now this.

“It...it won’t be a permanent situation. If she decides to keep the guard as a permanent feature, then I’ll convince her to allow me to expand it. For now there are only two members, but that won’t be the case forever. And for now even if I work for 12 and sleep for 8 then that still leaves 4 hours a day to spend with you and Balisong, and Falchion.”

"You forgot about eating, as well. And fine, leave all that to one side, and assume I were okay with it, for talk's sake. Why didn't you consult me about this beforehoof? Do I not have any say in this?" she presses on, wearily. Yesterday's events have left her feeling frazzled at best, and now Glaive has gone and done this. "I'd urge you to go back and tell Virtue you've had a change of heart, but if I know you, you've probably already signed an official contract or something, hmm?"

“I didn’t sign anything exactly...but as a matter of honor, I can’t back out now, even if I wanted to. I’m sorry, you’re right in that I should have talked to you first, as this decision affects you and the foals as much as me, but what is done, is done, and I am at her service until she no longer wishes me to be.”

Falcata sighs heavily, thinking. "Look...I know you say it's only for a while, but for my sake, will you at least raise the issue with Virtue and try to increase the guard number?" She finishes, but then appends something with a humourless smirk.
"By the way, I'll just ask her myself if you don't, dear. By the sounds of it she had other potential candidates, as well."

Glaive nods, “Okay, okay. From talking to her, she doesn’t seem totally comfortable with having a guard at all, that’s why I didn’t push for more members yet. But if you want, I can try and talk to her about it tomorrow.”

The pegasus raises a hoof to her chin, turning something over in her mind. She decides to ask the question, interested to see if her husband would be at all hypocritical.
"Glaive...what if I told you that I intended to volunteer for one of the additional positions?" she asks him, gazing at him and trying to gauge his reaction.

Glaive steps closer to Falcata and places his left forehoof on her side a vaguely pleading expression across his face. “Please...Please don’t. In the militia together, we always both had the night off, so we could always see each other after work. But in this position, somepony has to be there at all hours, and unless we have several more members, than that would mean us working different shifts. We...we’d almost never be together, one of us would always be either sleeping or at work. Please don’t volunteer.”

"Now imagine you'd asked me the same question before you went and signed half of every day away!" she snaps, though she doesn't pull away from him. "Do you see what I mean? It's not nice, is it, Glaive?"
Before he can answer, she forges on, posing her real suggestion to him.
"Would you - that is, if Virtue were okay with it - split your duties with me, even if just until additional guards get appointed? I don't want little Balisong or Falchion missing too much of their father, Glaive. Virtue might not want the guard roster expanded too soon, and this way the foals don't have to miss their father for more than a hooffull of hours each day."

Glaive looks down at the floor. “I, I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking about that. I just...I’ll talk to her about more guards tomorrow. You have my word. She, she would be more than fine with you helping out too. You were,” Glaive hesitates before continuing on. “you were her first pick for the second slot, she only didn’t offer it to you only because I asked her not to.” Glaive looks back up at his wife. “I’ll see that something is done as soon as possible. Virtue is a good mare, she will be understanding.”

"Yes, she is. Nopony could run this place better. If anyone can pull us out of this rainbow pony mess, she can. I just hope it's within the capabilities of one pony, or else- or else we are all in trouble." agrees Falcata, putting her forehoof over Glaive's. "Still, at least we will be in trouble together," she murmurs, giving him a tired smile.

Glaive smiles, “and there is nopony I’d rather face it with than you, Falcata.”
"Mmm," she hums, pensive. She looks to the two foals, lying curled up together in their cot, both fast asleep. "What do you think they'll grow up to be, Glaive?"

“Mmm, well, the military is in their blood. Mother, father, and grandfather all with military backgrounds. If one or both grow up to want to be a soldier, that’s just fine with me.” Glaive thinks about situation with the Rainbow ponies before adding. “I just hope that they get a choice in that matter.”

"The war would have to drag on for years for that..." murmurs Falcata, looking a bit perturbed by the thought of it. She's never seen the feral, barbaric badger ponies as anything more than particularly advanced and malicious animals, but fighting the rainbow ponies would be something else entirely. She's not sure she'll be able to handle it the first time, let alone for years of protracted warfare. "Do you- do you really think it could last that long?"

Glaive holds Falcata close to his side. “I really hope not. But, if a war does start, there is no telling how long it would last.”
"Assuming we are not wiped out within weeks," she says, a despondent tone to her voice. "There is an entire nation of them, and a scant five score and ten of us."

“That is assuming that the King doesn’t support us. We have a nation behind us too, dear. If King Golud supports us then by declaring war on Dawnpick, the Rainbows declare war on all of The Meandering Gloss. If that happens then, well the fighting will be more widespread, but we won’t have to face the whole Rainbow army alone.”

"But what if he doesn't, Glaive? What if Coupledye doesn't want war, what if they don't care about one little mining village, far from the shining spires and high walls of the capital? What if nopony comes to our aid?" Falcata says with trepidation, her gaze urgent. Her fears are spilling out now, but she's not sure even Glaive, of all ponies, can assuage them.

Glaive looks into the crib watching his foals sleep peacefully, unaware of the difficult future they might yet face. “Then we do the only thing we can Fal. We fight. We fight to protect our home, and our Lady Virtue, and...our family. I’ve said it before Fal, together we can do anything, even fight the whole damned Rainbow army if we must. Let them try and come, Dawnpick will not fall."

Falcata nuzzles him gently. His rousing words lift her spirits and calm her fears, and she is more grateful than ever for having married him. "I hope to the gods you're right, Glaive. I really do."

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 21, 2012, 02:12:26 am »

Fauchard + + just a bit of

((For the sake of the timeline, this scene is after Friesden first calls Fauchard “Dad” but before the forging of the legendary Excalibunny and the beginning of her training with him.))

Two days after the merchant slaughter. Fauchard goes to visit Lady Virtue’s office alone. He sees his son there standing guard by the door, his first full day in his new position. Glaive stands looking professional, he asks Fauchard about his business and then opens the door a crack. “Lady Virtue. Fauchard would like to speak with you. Should I let him in?”

“Yes, send him in,” she responds.  She puts aside the stock records she’d been updating, trying to account for everything left by the rainbows in the slaughter.  Things she would try to return to the caravan owners later if she ever got a chance.

The door opens all the way and Fauchard steps inside. Glaive stays in the hall and closes the door. “Lady Virtue.” Fauchard bows awaiting her to begin the conversation.

She smiles at him in turn and waits for him to return his eyes to hers.  “Hello, Mr. Fauchard.  How can I help you?” she asks, trying to imagine for herself what it might be.

Fauchard speaks, “I have two things I would like to discuss with you Baroness. One involves the whole of Dawnpick, and the other is a personal matter, that involves myself and another of this town.”

Virtue fights to keep her expression straight at the mention that he wanted to discuss something related to the whole of Dawnpick.  She didn’t need more bad news right now... she really, really, really didn’t.  But perhaps it wasn’t fair to assume everypony was only going to come to her with bad news.  She clears her throat and asks, “Alright.  What is it?”

Fauchard rises and looks Virtue in the eyes. “First, I would like to talk about the Rainbow situation. I...have experience in the arts of war, and I would just like to offer my expertise to you. I have a few suggestions I would make, if you will hear them.”

So, it was about that.  At least it wasn’t worse news about the entire situation.  She suppresses the hint of a frown that wanted to edge onto her face, and replies, “O-Of course.  I... I must admit I’m still at a bit of a loss over the entire situation.  Any advice... anything at all, would be most appreciated.”

Fauchard dives into his advice. “Well firstly, I would say that you have done very well in defending this town so far. I would not desire to be the commanding officer of the force trying to siege this place. That said, I do see a few weaknesses. Firstly, when the dragon came it was able to get inside because the gate was already open. From what I see that is the usual state of it. Where I the Rainbow commander, I would probably try to send some ponies to ambush the gate and destroy the mechanism to raise it before sending in my main force. You should consider keeping it closed whenever possible and keep an armed watch nearby it if it must be left open.”

She nods judiciously.  That was a good suggestion... and something that should have been pretty obvious.  Maybe she hadn’t completely failed on the defenses, but the gate was undeniably a weak point.  “It... was a hassle when we were first setting up the mine to keep the gate open.  With Flux’s traps in place we had never had anything actually make it inside... but the dragon was a bit of a wakeup call there.”  She thinks for a moment.  “Keeping it closed would be a much better option... perhaps we should try to find some way to bridge the mines inside the walls...”

“Hmm, well I’m hardly a mining engineer milady, but perhaps if the outside mine entrance was collapsed we could make a new tunnel inside the walls? That would be a risk if the enemy came to know of it, but if it could be sealed in an emergency, perhaps. My second suggestion was to have some kind of early warning system in place. In most towns a bell, usually manned by a member of the militia or guard would be rung to signal all the civilians of imminent danger, allowing them to know to go wherever they are supposed to go during an attack.”

“That would make sense...” she trails off, trying to imagine the best place to set up such a thing.  “So far, we’ve been more or less hiding in the dining hall’s cellar whenever trouble shows up.  We don’t have a particularly good method of alerting everypony though... mostly just running around and shouting.”  She thinks a moment more.  “We could set up a bell of some sort at the dining hall itself perhaps... or the central dorms.  Or maybe something magical...”

“Well whichever, we do should work fine, so long as everypony knows about it. But I have one final suggestion. The prison cells are downstairs correct? Would it be possible to expand the basement of the keep so that in case of attack civilians could hide inside it? It is the most fortified building, and the best place for a final stand if that was ever necessary. Preferably with a stockpile of food and drink...and weapons, just in case.”

Also not a bad idea.  To be perfectly honest she didn’t like the idea of anypony having to go near the jail, but if it came down to needing someplace to hide, it probably was one of the better places.  Expanding it and fortifying it further... not a bad idea.  It was close to the food and drink already, which meant it should be easy to expand.  “I believe that’s a good idea... yes.”  She sighs.  “I suppose this would be a good time to finish setting up the crenelations on the keep’s roof too.  I’ve been... putting it off for other things... didn’t think we’d ever need to really defend the keep...”

“Unfortunately it is possible that we may need it sooner than we would like. There is one other thing I would like to discuss lady, if you will, but it is of a slightly personal matter.

She couldn’t imagine what that would be about, but she gives him a reassuring smile.  Well, the best she could manage with the way she felt.  “Of course... if you feel comfortable discussing it?”

“I would like to first ask, about the filly Friesden. I don’t know if I fully understand the situation, but she is without parents, yes?”

That was a bit of a sore topic.  She’d mostly managed to forget about that horrible night by now, but seeing the filly reminded her of it sometimes... “I... I’m not really sure, if I’m perfectly honest.”  Which made her feel worse, come to think of it.  She knew Glyph had left Dawnpick, but hadn’t followed through to ensure Friesden was with somepony...  “She had been staying with Glyph, but he left with Stiletto around a month ago.  I... I assumed she was staying with Kat... but I’m not sure...”

“Yes, she has been staying with Kat, whom she calls Scary-Lady, for a while, but she has been visiting my home an increasing amount and...well she reminds me of the daughter I lost, which was only made stronger when yesterday, she called me “Dad.” I would, if it is possible, like to adopt Friesden, to make her officially my foal.” Fauchard looks Virtue in the eyes, his expression hopeful.

She’s taken by surprise by that.  “Oh... if that’s what you want, then... yes, I’d like to help you there.  Very much.”  By what about Friesden?  Did she really call Kat Scary-Lady?  “She’s still a minor... but does she want this too?”

Fauchard nods, “I think she does yes. When...when she saw the bodies at the Depot two days ago, she came running to me, and she hugged onto me and cried till she fell asleep. When she woke...she called me Dad, for the first time. I haven’t asked her about my adopting her, but I didn’t even know if that would be possible yet. If you want to speak with her first. I can fetch her for you, or...”

“Hmm...” she raises a hoof to her chin.  Technically it wasn’t even Friesden’s decision.  All she had to do was sign off on a piece of paper and it was done.  But the poor filly had been through enough.  She wanted to make certain that she’d be happy.  “Maybe it would be for the best?  I’m more than happy to help make that happen, but I do think it would be best to have her opinion.”

Fauchard nods, “I understand. Would you like for me to go bring her here?”

She nods.  “Yes, if you don’t mind?”

Fauchard stands, “Not at all,” and exits the door behind him.

Several minutes later, Fauchard returns to Virtue’s office with Friesden. After Glaive let’s them in Fauchard turns to the Baroness. “I have brought her as you asked, would you like me to wait outside?”

She thinks for a moment.  Perhaps that was for the best.  “Yes, for just a minute, please.”

Fauchard takes his leave, leaving the filly and the baroness alone in her office.

Friesden sits there nervously, not really knowing why mrs Virtue wanted to see her. She didn’t speak, waiting for her to start talking.

Virtue smiles at her, trying to give her a calming expression.  “Hello Friesden.  I’ve got something I wanted to ask you...”  She makes sure that Fauchard is out of the office before continuing.  “Do you like Mr. Fauchard?”

“Uh-huh,” Friesden said. “Da-Um. Mister Fauchard is really nice and tells me all the best stories...And...And he makes the nightmares go away.”

She nods.  “That’s good to hear.  He came to me a little while ago and asked me about you, but I want to ask you too.  He wants you to come live with him.  Would you like to do that?”

“Uh-huh!” nodded Friesden enthusiastically. “That’d be nice!”

Her smile widens a bit.  “Good, I’m glad to hear that!”  She looks at her a bit more intently.  “Now... he asked me something else too.  He... wants to be your dad.  If you’d like that... I can make that happen.”

Friesden couldn’t help herself. She started jumping up and down in excitement. “Really? Really? Can you? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with bunnies on top?”

She nods enthusiastically and grins a bit.  Seeing the filly so excited was doing wonders for her depression.  “I certainly can.  Hold on just a moment and I’ll do just that.”  She goes to let Fauchard in, giving him a big smile as she motions for him to return with her.  As she returns to her desk, she sifts through a few forms stored in a nearby cabinet and places it on the desk.  “All I have to do is sign off here.”  She places her signature on the paper and turns it to Fauchard.  “And you too, if you agree to adopt her?” she says with a smile.

Fauchard a wide smile across his face, grabs for a quill with his magic, “Of course, I do.” and he signs his name in the appropriate spot, before passing the form back to Virtue.

Friesden continues jumping up and down, before jumping onto Fauchard and giving him a big hug after he signs. “Thank you Dad!” she says, happiness in her voice.

Virtue gives a small grin to them both and tucks the paper away.  “Alright then, it’s done!  Mr. Fauchard is officially your daddy now.”

Fauchard returns the hug Friesden, no his daughter, was giving him. “Thank you Virtue. You have done a truely good thing for us today?” He looks down at his daughter, “We should go tell your big brother Glaive, and sister Falcata the good news. What do you think?”

“Uh-huh!” says Friesden with a nod. “That sounds good, dad!”

Fauchard stands, “Thank you again Lady Virtue” and the two ponies head out the door.

Glaive makes a mental note to himself to see about making the baroness’s office more sound proof but that was second to the current situation, his father had adopted Friesden, and he couldn’t be happier about that. As Fauchard and Friesden walk out door they see Glaive waiting he smiles at them. “Hello Father, sister. Your meeting with Virtue went well?”

“Uh-huh! Fauchard’s my dad now!” says Friesden in happiness, almost bouncing up and down in her sheer joy.

Glaive smiles. “That is wonderful news, Friesden. I am happy to be able to call you sister. You should go and tell Falcata, she’ll be happy to hear the good news.”

“Uh-huh!” says Friesden happily. “We’ll see you later, big brother!” She jumps up and gives him a big hug first.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: April 21, 2012, 03:30:21 am »

Another small update.  Mostly to cover the trade depot massacre and new ponies.

It's 4AM and I'm pretty tired, so I've probably forgotten to mention one thing or another.  Also, I know I had some hack requests, but they didn't make it into this update.  Further, I didn't have much time to incorporate Maklak's suggestions, but they'll be coming in the next update.  If I've forgotten anything major, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Also, I'll post the scene between Gregor and Virtue tomorrow.  And catch up on the past 10 pages or so here, I'm so behind.  Tired...

And here's the link to the save: Dawnpick.zip

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtue's Diary - 9th Obsidian, 259

While I was eating with everypony today, I overheard that Stiletto and Glyph were leaving Dawnpick.  When I tracked them down and asked them if it was true, they confirmed it.  Stiletto told me that she has pressing matters back home that she must attend to, and Glyph wanted to go with her wherever she went.

I'm not happy to see them go, but she has to do what she must.  Glyph I suppose I could have ordered to stay, but after speaking with him I think it's for the best.  We'll find somepony else to run the stables.

And thankfully the militia has been overkill for our needs so far.  Stiletto and Glyph leaving probably won't hurt our military readiness too much.

I just hope the best for them, wherever they end up.

21st Obsidian, 259

The dragon caused damage on a scale completely unlike anything we've ever seen out here.  No badger ponies have really even made it inside the walls.  The pump accidents just got a few ponies wet.  But that dragon destroyed quite a lot.  We've started the clean up process and have replaced most of the damaged statues.  Most imporantly, we've replaced the drawbridge and can actually get outside or let others inside if we need to.  Which we do!  The rainbow pony caravan was spotted on the horizon, and they wouldn't be able to get in like things were.  Our home caravan should be soon behind them.

Now, if only we'd finished replacing the trade depot.  That's the next thing on the list.  Once it's repaired, we'll only have fairly minor things to take care of.

1st Granite, 260

I thought I was upset before.  I thought when Brook died I was upset.  I thought when Barley died I was upset.  I thought when Amber nearly died I was upset.  And I thought that Indigo taking such offense to Stiletto upset me.  I've never been upset until today.

Today has been horrible beyond words.

So much blood...

It started with the rainbow pony diplomat dying in the dining hall.  That led to one thing after another, that led to a crossbow being shoved in my face and my life being threatened to Sarissa stepping in to protect me.  Then a dozen rainbow ponies were dead.  Just trying to think about it is making me nauseated again.  I can still hear their dying screams... see their faces as the life left them.  Gods above... if I never have to see that again in my life it will be too soon.

All of the merchants are dead.  The diplomat is dead.  Kat is hurt... I managed to get her to Panacea somehow.  I still don't remember how that happened.

Then... just when I thought things couldn't get worse, more rainbow ponies were discovered in the main warehouse.  We had a stand off... I don't blame them for being scared.  One of them was injured, and when Panacea was looking at her, Sarissa tried to jump in on my behalf again.  I... I ended up hurting Sarissa with the rainbow pony's weapon.  I feel... sick again... thinking about it.

I've already thrown up half a dozen times today from it all.

The only remotely good thing about today is that those three survived.  Gregor... Gregor Spreadstyles was his name.  He and his family were traveling to Glitterglen to see his son.  It's a fair distance away, so they won't be leaving for a while yet.  I've offered them a place to stay for now, and I'm going to make sure that nopony bothers them.

I need to go see Panacea... maybe she has something that can calm my nerves.  I doubt it.  I won't be sleeping at all tonight.

2nd Granite, 260

Indigo came to see me today.  I was afraid that was going to happen.  I was more afraid he'd chew me out again for one thing or another.  I was surprised when it turned out he's almost as broken up over this mess as I am.  He looked terrible.

He asked me if we were investigating the diplomat's death, and I assured him that Partisan is doing just that, but he hasn't uncovered much of anything yet.  He also volunteered to help reorganize the supplies from the caravan (I still don't know what to do with them), and help relocate the dead.  To that end, I asked the miners to dig out another wing of the crypt to bury them in.  It's not much.  But it's all we can do for now.  We've moved the bodies down there already, temporarily at least.  Properly burying them will take far longer.

Indigo also volunteered to make a memorial to their loss.  I gave him my blessing, and he shuffled along on his way.

He looked just as bad as I do.  I sometimes wonder if he has as many emotional problems as I do.

After he came to me though, Glaive came and informed me of something somewhat disturbing.  He told me that he was concerned for my personal safety.  I hadn't considered the possibility, but he made a lot of sense.  If the diplomat really was killed to spark a war, I might be the next target.  Even thinking about it has my nerves frayed again.  He suggested I start a personal guard, and since it was his suggestion and I trust him so much, I offered it to him.  Thankfully he accepted.  He and Storm Cloud.  I imagine I feel a little better... but it's probably just hopeful thinking.

This isn't going to get better for a long time yet.

3rd Granite, 260

Fauchard visited me today, and I must say that today has been some of the first good news I've heard in a long time.  Seems he wanted to adopt little Friesden.  After Glyph and Stiletto left, I neglected to make sure that anypony was watching after her.  Kat had been, as far as I know, but now she's hurt.  Fauchard offered to adopt her, and she agreed.  I feel a little warm just thinking about the expression on her little face.

At least a little happiness can shine through the fog of sadness that grips Dawnpick right now.

When I talked to Glaive today, he expressed some concerns about expanding my personal guard.  Not that I needed more ponies protecting me at any time, but so that they could have mroe time off.  That's more than reasonable... I hadn't considered that either when I accepted his offer.  He suggested that Falcata be one of the new ponies for the position, and explained his change of mind.  I agree with him wholly.  I think Fuscina will be next, but I'll have to think about it.

I also got an update from Partisan today.  It seems Panacea and Wool finished examining the body of the diplomat, and as far as they can tell, he died of natural causes.  Over a dozen ponies are dead now, for nothing.

It's beyond tragic.  I of course wouldn't have wanted to know that there was an assassin living among us, but to know that so many are dead for no reason whatsoever sickens me again.  I once thought people exaggerated when they said they were so upset their were sick.  Now I'm starting to forget what it feels like to not be so upset.

Also, this happened, never seen it before:

4th Granite, 260

All of the repairs have been finalized today.  And our home caravan arrived today.  I traded fifty thousand bits worth of steel to them for the usual.  A few ores we don't have here, some variety of food, but most importantly some pig tail seeds.  We can finally start producing thread and cloth here ourselves.

I don't feel like writing much today.  I still feel awful.

5th Granite, 260

As if the deaths of the rainbow ponies wasn't enough, I spoke with our liaison today.  I knew something was wrong when I saw him arrive with the caravan, but he kept it to himself until today.  He knows about the rainbow pony deaths, but that wasn't the main thing he wanted to address.  He handed me a letter from King Golud in Coupledye.

Spoiler: Letter from Coupledye (click to show/hide)

I've known that I've screwed up a lot of things in Dawnpick, but to hear it from the king himself was a blow unlike anything I can really relate.  By granting me the title of baroness, he trusted me to do what I had to do.  I was required to uphold the law, and I didn't do that.  I've failed.  I couldn't handle giving out justice, and now I've been shown the repercussions.  I stand to lose everything I've worked for out here, and I suppose I deserve it.

Under my leadership, two ponies have died, we've built a church to foreign gods, and criminals have been given laxity that they weren't allowed.  What have I done?  The liaison was absolutely clear when he spoke to me.  Political corruption would not be tolerated.  Corruption... something I would never in my entire life believe I'd be guilty of, but it's plain as the ink on the letter.

I couldn't even manage to hold in the crying until he left.  I broke down in front of the liaison like a filly whose candy had been stolen from her.  What sort of example am I setting here?  Glaive must think I'm insane or juvenile.  The look on his face when he came back into my office, finding me sobbing like that... he's a kind pony... he didn't say anything about it, but there's no hiding that I just don't have what it takes to do this.  I've shown such breach of my duties that Indigo thought it was important enough to tell the king how bad of a job I've been doing.  And he's right.

I wanted to just tell the liaison right then and there that I'm through.  That I couldn't take any more, but he told me, much to my shock that I was being granted the title of countess.  The decree had already gone out, he said, by the time the bad news of my performance reached Coupledye.  I stand to lose it if I don't shape up soon.

To that end I asked him to send a judge back to Dawnpick.  I can't judge ponies.  I just can't do it.  We need somepony else to do it.

I feel sick all over again.  We may be at war with the rainbows, and here I am bawling my eyes out again just thinking about what happened earlier today.  What sort of example am I showing to everypony here?  That it's okay to just cry and hide when things get tough?

I don't know when I'll be able to face them again.  Maybe the day after tomorrow.  I hope...

10th Granite, 260

I finally left the keep today, for the first time in nearly a week.  I didn't want to see anypony but my family... but I knew I had to go outside eventually.  I saw Indigo today.  My first instinct was to hide from the pony who thinks so little of my rule here, but then I saw how terrible he looked too.  He doesn't look like he's eaten in a week.  Nor slept.  I suppose we really aren't so different.

I worry about him.  I hope he doesn't get sick over this... or hurt himself.  I couldn't take that right now.  Please....

26th Granite, 260

We finally managed to finish burying the dead today.

Can't put them in coffins, and I just [d]umped the bodies, so they stacked them up in the crypt.  I'm planning on making some slabs for them eventually.

It's not much, but it's a proper burial for them.  It's the least we can do for their needless deaths.  I felt less bothered by the thoughts about it than I thought.  Maybe I'm finally coming to terms with it all.  I've actually managed to get more than a few hours of sleep a night lately.

I almost forgot we had a few migrants arrive today.  I guess the liaison returned my request to Coupledye.

The first was a pegasus stallion woodcutter named Pine Needles.  We also had a pegasus mare arrive today, who said her name was Kit.  I thought she looked a lot like Kat, and it turns out they're sisters.  I'm glad she has some family here now.  I don't know where she'll end up, but hopefully somewhere she's happy with.  Lastly, a unicorn mare named Jury arrived, and sure enough she was a judge sent from Coupledye to help my settle legal disputes.  She's also a mason, which is good since I dare say we won't need her legal expertise frequently.

That reminds me that Granite is a stallion today.  The family had a nice celebration for it, and he started his first official day of work under Flux.  I hope he's happy working in the smelters and the machine shop.  We're going to need more of both workers soon enough for our steel demands.

10th Felsite, 260

Patina was only a little younger than Granite, and today was her sixth birthday.  The family threw a party for her as is the custom here, and she joined the smelters helping out making charcoal and smelting down raw ores.  We're going to need more furnaces to keep up with the work loads I think.  Something I'll check on soon.

While I was heading out to take a look at that situation, I noticed Friesden was occupying one of our craftshops.  After having seen it dozens of times by now, I knew she was experiencing one of those strange moods, and after I saw that Glaive and Falcata were looking after her I went on my way.  She'll be fine.

13th Felsite, 260

Today was probably one of the most interesting birthdays I've seen.  Little Friesden isn't so little anymore, turning six today and officially becoming a mare.  But even better, she finished the project she was working on.  She ended up making a grate out of some of the bones from the butchered animals.  I must admit I never pegged her for a bone carver, but that's the cutie mark she got.  I have no idea what we're going to do with the grate, but we'll probably find a use one day.  And I suppose this means Friesden will be joining Totem as a bone carver, but I wonder if it's what she really wants in life?

20th Felsite, 260

Just when I thought I was beginning to get over all of the stress from the past year or so, something terrible happens.  We're still not sure how it happened, but one of the monsters managed to squeeze out of the caverns today.  Wool was nearby, and it dragged him in.  He didn't survive.

The militia and guard immediately galloped off to face the monster as it flew out of the mines, and we all rushed to hide under the dining hall as usual.  I'm thankful that they managed to kill it at least, and nopony was seriously hurt.  Naginata, Partisan, Kukri and Kris engaged it in melee, and were all caught in a burst of strange dust from the monster.  They're all in the hospital now, covered in blisters and in severe pain.  Panacea says they should recover soon... but I still feel bad for them.

Again... again my negligence has cost somepony dearly.  Wool is dead, and the ponies in the hospital are there because I never bothered to make sure that the caverns were safe.  Poor Panacea was torn apart by this worse than I am.  She's grown to become good friends with Wool over the years, and now he's dead, and she has to tend to the wounded alone, and every moment she's going to remember Wool isn't there to help her.

I don't know how I'm going to preside over his funeral tomorrow.  I haven't had to actually deal with somepony from Dawnpick dying in years... and after everything else lately... I just don't know...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:54:30 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:42 am »

and

Friesden comes out of the craftspony workshop, tears in her eyes, and a bone grate in her mouth.

Flux wanders by, noticing Friesden seems to have finished her odd project.

Friesden sets the grate down, and slumps to the floor, crying.

He tilts his head, walking towards the little striped filly.  "D-, er... Friesden? are you alright?"

"I...I...I...I don't like making things out of dead things!" Friesden says with sorrow in her voice.

"Um... it's alright, D-Friesden.  What did you, uh... make?"

"T-t-t-t-this thing!" Friesden holds out the grate, still crying.

Flux kneels by the little filly, trying to comfort her.  "Um... it's alright.  Those moods... they make ponies make strange things.  Even things you never really cared for, or might not want to have created."

"B-b-b-b-but look!" Friesden points to where a cutie mark would be, and there is a new cutie mark there. Two crossed ivory tusks.

Flux gives little Friesden a gentle hug.  "You don't want your talent to be... making things like this, do you?"

"N-n-n-n-no..." whispers Friesden.

Flux whispers to the filly: "Want to know a secret about cutie marks?" As she nodded, slightly, he continued on. "They're rarely what they seem."

"W-w-w-what do you mean?" Friesden asked, the tears starting to stop.

"Mine, for instance." Flux gestures to the crucible on his flanks. "It's a crucible, so you'd think my talent is smelting, right?"

"Isn't it?" asked Friesden.

Flux chuckles and shakes his head.  "Nope.  I've been smelting for a long time, but I don't hold a candle to Cinders, the other smelter.  I'm... actually not sure what my talent is... but I know it's not smelting."

"But...but...then...But what could this mean?" Friesden continued to ask, a slight hint of hope in her voice.

"Um... I don't know," admitted Flux. "But if you don't like carving, it's probably not your talent."

"Oh...Okay...But...But...But what will Dad think?" continued Friesden's questioning.

"Fauchard?  He'll probably be thrilled that you got your mark, Friesden.  Just tell him what I told you about marks if he wants you to take up bonecarving."

"Oh...Okay, mister Flux...D-d-d-do you want this?" Friesden says as she points to the grate.

"Um... no thanks?  I uh... don't really need a grate for anything.  Thanks for the offer, though, Friesden."  He smiles at her, genuinely happy she offered it, but also genuinely having no use for it.

"Oh...Um...Okay then. Well...Thank you anyway, mister Flux," she says before picking up the grate again.

He tussles her mane, smiling.  "Any time, Friesden.  Take care!"

Friesden walked off, a fair bit happier now.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 21, 2012, 05:33:08 am »

and

Friesden, having finished her talk with Flux, continues to walk through Dawnpick carrying the...The grate she had made. It... Flux had said that sometimes ponies made things in these moods they didn’t want to make, and she agreed. Maybe...Maybe she could just find something else to do. As she walks, lost in her thoughts, she bumps into Falcata.

Falcata, quietly perambulating through the halls, is interrupted by the bump of a small and yellow object. Glancing down to regard the interruption, she sees little Friesden, a strange and ornate...something, carried in her mouth.
"Hi, Friesden!" she says, doing her best to sound somewhat jolly. It gets harder every day, with the spectre of war still hanging over her thoughts like a persistent thundercloud. "What's that you've got there?"

“Oh. Um. Sorry, big sister...I...I was just thinking. This...This is the thing...That...That I made.” She gestured to it. “I...It’s a grate. Um...Do you like it?” She lifts it up to give Falcata a closer look. It appears to be made of yak bone, for the most part.

"It's..." begins Falcata, taking a quick flick through her mental dictionary. "...clearly the work of a master craftspony!" she finishes, relieved. In truth, she finds the thing creepy at best. Bone bolts she can understand, but she'd never been one for other bonecarved things, even before the rainbow caravan. "I really like the...circling bone bands...uh..."

“Oh,” said Friesden, her head drooping. “You...You want me to make more...more things like this, don’t you?” she asks in a hollow voice. Maybe Flux was wrong. Maybe she was supposed to be doing this for her talent. She’d...She’d just have to get used to it.

Falcata reassesses the situation, surprised by the smaller pony’s dejection. She crouches down, going to Friesden’s eye level. “Hey, hey, what’s the matter? I don’t want you to do anything you don’t want to, Friesden. Nor should anypony. Why, do you not like working with bone? Who says you have to keep at it?”

“This does!” she says, pointing to the cutie mark. “And I don’t want to, I don’t! I don’t like making things from...From bones! I don’t want to!” The tears, held back, begin to start flowing again.

The cream pegasus reacts swiftly, scooping the little filly into a reassuring hug. Falcata hadn’t noticed the cutie mark on her flank, and if that’s what’s worrying little Friesden, then she can fix that easily. “Easy, sis, ssssh.” she murmurs, stroking the smaller pony’s mane. “You don’t have to make bone crafts all your life just because some- some picture on your side says so! You can do whatever you want, silly. That’s your talent, or one of them, but that doesn’t mean you’re not good at other things too!” She briefly considers mentioning something about fighting with swords being a sort of “working with bone”, but decides against it. That’s probably a bit much.

“S-s-s-so...I don’t have to?” she says, hope forming once more in her voice. “But...But everypony will expect me to... I...I want my talent to be something else! I don’t like this....I don’t want it!”

“No, they won’t, Friesden. Everypony will expect you to do what you enjoy doing, you’ll see. That’s what I expect, and I know for sure your dad and Glaive would agree. And, like I said, your mark just means that boneworking is one of your talents, maybe just the first one you’ve discovered. You have tons more potential, my little pony, and you’ll find something you’re good at and that you enjoy. I promise you.” Falcata lifts Friesden’s chin with a forehoof, wiping away her tears with the other.

“T-t-t-t-t-thank you,” Friesden says with a sniffle. “But...What should...What should I do with this?” Friesden asks, pointing to the grate she’d set down. “I...What do I do with it?”

Falcata regards the thing with a critical eye. Personally, she finds it unnerving, even in the daylight. It would certainly look sinister in the dungeons.
“Well, it’s your grate. You could maybe sell it to somepony from the zebra caravan, I hear they’re more, uh, into things like that. Or, I guess if you really hate it, you could just smash it or something.”

“I...Maybe...I’ll...I’ll talk to dad about it...Maybe...Maybe I could...” She clams up, unable to meet Falcata’s gaze suddenly.

“...Maybe you could what?” queries Falcata, keeping her voice soft.

“Well...I...I...I like...I like Excalibunny...but...but...” Her face turns to the ground, unwilling to look at her sister.

“...But it’s not a real sword, is it? Is that what you’re trying to tell me?” asks Falcata, smiling slightly to show her utter lack of anger.

“...yeah...You...You’re not mad, right?” Friesden asks, suddenly anxious...again.

“Of course not, no! It’s just a training sword; I knew that from day one, Friesden. I never expected you to use it in a real battle; that would have been very foalish of me.” She takes another look at the younger pony, sizing her up. It seemed like only yesterday that she’d been a wide-eyed little filly, delighted to get her hooves on Excalibunny and to swing it around without any real care in the world. She has truly grown up.

“Thank you...You’re the nicest pony I know, big sister. I... I hope I don’t disappoint you,” Friesden says, the tears drying in her eyes and a small smile starting to grow on her face.

“I know you won’t, Friesden. I know you won’t.” smiles Falcata, feeling genuinely happy for the first time that morning.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 239