Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225191 times)

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #3180 on: May 10, 2012, 12:29:10 am »

((this happens before the pier incident))

The typical Splinter household dinner

"So, Clear Skies, how was your day? Today was a big day wasn't it?" Splinter inquired with the littlest amount of enthusiasm he could. He was so exhausted from the manual labor of making potash he could barley muster propping the cooked lamb he prepared into his mouth, much less muster up any emotion this late in the day.

"oh, yes, flight class! Went to flight training with the rest of the pegusai. It was a breeze!" Clear skies gloated.

"And what about you Alpine? How was your day at Flight class?

"I..I.." Alpine murmured

"yeah, Alpine, how was your first day?" Clear sky asked with a grin.

Alpine's eyes darted at Clear sky "Clear, Don't-"

"Didn't crash into anything did you? Oh wait, you totally did! Crashed right into the ground while everyone was watching!" Clear skies snickered and Sienna, Patina, and Sheer delight joined in.

Alpine bites his lower lip and slams his hoof on the table in rage

"Buck off, Clear!" He shouted and strode in the the direction of his room

"Hey, language!" Clear skies shouted down the hall. He brushed his mane to the the side.
"What's eating him?"

Splinter stared at him with daggers

"What?" Clear skies asked, truly oblivious

"Clear Skies, Apologize to your brother."

Clear twisted his lip up in anger and rolled his eyes

"At least I'm not a buck-up" he muttered under his breath and got up from the table

Splinter sighed and rubbed his forehead with his hoof

"Sienna, how was your day? Do I even want to know?"

Sienna stopped playing with a curl in her mane, which was a tell she was preoccupied thinking about her social circles and boyfriends, and looked at her dad as if noticing him for the first time today

"Oh, you know, just running around the fort. things to see, ponies to do!" she smiled, and made a little "eep" at the realization of her Freudian slip.

"Care to rephrase that?" Splinter glared

"I.. Uh.. Don't try to suppress me, Dad!" she growled and also sauntered off to her room

"Patina?"

"I didn't do anything today. you know, for once I thought I'd go through a day without any drama."

she gestures at the now four empty seats

"good job!" she got up as well

Splinter buried his head in his hooves

"Sheer Delight how was-"

Sheer Delight flung his plate and stormed away from the table. The plate flew into the wall, shattering it

"you're going to pay for that plate, you little shit!" Splinter cried

Peony dislodged his nose from his book at the sound of shattered glass wondering if he needed to duck

The bespectacled little runt of the litter looked at his dad questioningly

"Dad, I have two questions for you"

Splinter, head still buried in his hooves said
"Alright, Shoot"

"How did everything...happen?"

Splinter chuckled

"you don't ask for much, do you? I guess Celestia created everything, if that answers your question."

"But what if she.. didn't?"

Splinter looks at the boy with an odd look

"Then you'd have to do a lot of convincing to tell me otherwise."

Splinter looked at the spine embroidery of this 'Math' book he loved so much.

"Son, you're making me wonder if you should have that."

Peony gasped in horror, as if his dad suggested cutting off a limb.

"What was the other question?"

"Where's mom?"

"Mom's at the bar"

"Why?"

Splinter glared at him

"Because why would she come home to this?" he hissed and walked off to the master bedroom

peony just kept reading
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:16:59 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: May 10, 2012, 06:23:29 am »

Friesden's diary.

Decapitate the
Rainbow Pony Assassin
Truly it is grave.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:49 am »

Kit's Diary.
1st Page.

FinallY got to buy Diary, KAt says, trY RIg WRiG Wrih WRITE new speAk.
noT noT hArd.

OK daYs, HappY Home.  Big VillAge. noT HappY tImes. HappY tImes.
Make frIends. meet Ponys. Good Ponys.
Ponys Names
Kat.           [Here lies a sketch of a white-jasmine flower with a drop of blood on it, black-and-white drawn by a pencil. The sketch looks far better than her language skill.]
Kit.            [Here lies a sketch of a petal of a White-Jasmine flower with a droplet of blood from above's sketch falling onto it. The petal is floating.]
Virtue.       [Here lies a sketch of a healthy river. Populated by aquatic life and flowers that housed the White-Jasmines.]
Partisan.     [Here lies a sketch of a little stone tower with torches on it.]
Storm Clouds. [Here lies a sketch of a bolt of lightning striking a sword, breaking it in half.]
Friesden.     [Here lies a sketch of a sunflower facing the lights.]
Jaxler.         [Here lies a cartoon sketch of a drunken happy eagle leaning it's back against a tree with a bottle of booze in one of it's wings.]
Flux.          [Here lies a sketch of a flute with musical notes coming out of it's end. The notes flew up all the way to the white-Jasmine's petal to keep it afloat.]
Stiletto.     [Here lies an incomplete sketch of something.]
Indigo.       [Here lies a sketch of a chipped roughed bloody axe with dripping blood.]

เฮ้อ..เขียนภาษาใหม่เนี้ยยากจริงๆนะเนี้ย แต่ก็อะนะ พี่สาวอยากให้เราเรียนเขียนอ่านภาษาใหม่ก็อย่างเนี้ยแหละ.หวังว่ามันจะอ่านได้ไม่มีปัญหา.
อย่างน้อยๆก็ได้สมุดใหม่เอาวั้ยเขียนอะไรต่อมิอะไรลงไปละกัน.

[below here lies other numerous sketches of flowers, birds, and other Natural things. The sketches takes up the rest of the page.]

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:07:09 pm by vkiNm »
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Omicega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: May 10, 2012, 02:33:44 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:49:33 pm by Omicega »

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: May 11, 2012, 02:41:49 am »

(( 17 Timber, 259 ))
(( This is after they started working together on stockpiles and workshops. After the reserves too. ))

After their initial conversation, Indigo and Amor chatted occasionally and eventually started working together on Indigo’s pet project. While he paid it no mind at first, Indigo noticed that Amor tends to work during her breaks and eats just two meals per day. It didn’t bother him much, as ponies have varying tolerance for exhaustion, boredom and hunger, but he figured, she might get thirsty, especially in the summer. One day during the noon break, he brought her a jug of juice and two mugs from the kitchen. She was surprised, but grateful. Over the following months he did that again and again, but after a dozen or so times, it started to feel like just another chore. He berated himself for ‘helping’ a pony, who apparently was unwilling to help herself. Worse yet, she might get that into a habit and expect to be given drinks by him, which he meant as an act of kindness, not a way to make her dependant. Then he got an idea; instead of giving her drinks, he decided to give her a practical present for her birthday. He got the date by asking Virtue.

Timber was one of the two months a year when the reserves were training together. Fortunately that day they only chopped wood and did some shooting, so Indigo wasn’t sore. After they finished their training and he was done talking to Halberd, he washed himself and took a big tray of food to his room with juice, vegetable soup, carrots, salad and cake. He put on his best robe and went to fetch Amor. Ever since they started looking over some papers together, him inviting her to his room was nothing unusual. He knocks at her door. “Hello Amor, are you in there?”

Amor did not enjoy autumn, especially the month Timber and most of all her birthday. Work did not ease her mind from her melancholy and visiting the crypt to see Barley helped only a little. The crypt was an alien world of red clay, fungus and moss; the chill served only to increase the dreariness. The mare cleaned her hooves at the well, barely missing Indigo, who arrived later. She held mixed feelings about not seeing the blue coated reservist captain. Now would be the best time to have a friend, but she wanted to avoid him, when he was training with the reserves. She also thought it paramount for the stallion not to see her like this. The copper Unicorn arrived in her room and did not even bother to lock the hidden bolt. She changed into her nightwear and laid down for sleep, neglecting her growling stomach and making her slumber light. A while later she heard a knock at her door, followed by a familiar voice. She thought it would be best to tell him off politely, but decides against it. The sleepy-eyed mare gets up from her bed and opens her apartment door. “Indigo, how are you this afternoon?” She says, desperately trying not to sound cheerless.

“I’m quite fine. I’m a little exhausted by the training, though.” answers Indigo. You look sad.

Amor was unhappy to hear other ponies complaining about what they chose for themselves, but acknowledged their right to do so. “Be sure to get plenty of rest when you train, for your own sake.” She utters, as she fully awakens from her previous nap. The thought to question, as to why he was there, emerges in her mind. “Indigo, we don’t typically meet after work, when you are training. Is anything the matter?”

Indigo notes that Amor is alone and looks unwell, so he concludes that she doesn’t celebrate her birthday. Just like him in recent years, which is a bit sad to think about. “No, nothing's the matter. I just have something to show you in my room. Come on.”

Maybe helping Indigo with paperwork can get my mind off of things. Amor exits her room, shutting and locking the door behind her and follows Indigo. When they reach his apartment, he opens the door and walks in. Amor is nearly too surprised to do her customary mental checklists. Instead of papers, writing utensils and a ruler, the table is covered in food. There is even some celery cake. Indigo smiles and gestures for her to come in. She holds little doubt, that this is a birthday dinner and her eyes begin to water. “What is this about, Indigo?” she says, coming through the door and closing it behind her.

“Well, today is your birthday. I got this for you.” He opens his cabinet and pulls out a -Triffle Pewter Flask-. “I’ve noticed, you work all day and get thirsty, so just fill it each morning and drink whenever you want to.” He levitates the flask in front of her. It is sturdy and practical, but quite simple and unadorned.

Reaching out with her hooves to accept the metallic flask, she could no longer hold back her tears at the notion of the gift. “Indigo…” The name comes out broken and Amor stopped to wipe at her eyes before attempting again. “Indigo, this day has always been a reminder of the mother I lost and never got to know. You remind me that that is not what this day was about, thank you.” She beams the stallion a weak smile and takes his gift.

Indigo is quite surprised at her crying like that and saddened by the way her mother died. He scarcely remembers his own childhood, but mother was an important part of it. Perhaps I should send my parents a letter. “I... I had no idea about your mother. I thought you just had nopony to celebrate with.” He looks at her melting in front of him, unsure of what to do. Should I hug her? Say something to her? Leave her alone? “You really never had a birthday party before?” That was a stupid thing for me to say.

The mare gradually regains her composure as she caresses the flask, jovially staring into its sheen. She returns her eyes to Indigo and answers. “I’ve had a few birthday parties but not in a long time, what about you?” Said as she places the -Triffle Pewter Flask- on the table.

“I stopped a few years ago. After my arrival to Dawpick, I used to take an afternoon off on my birthday, play with Whiskers and eat cake, but it became depressing with nopony to share it with. Well, there was Kat, but... I’d rather not talk about her.” Indigo focuses back on Amor. “So as you can see, I’m not really a party pony. I just wanted to give you the flask.” He looks at the table. “I got us some food from the kitchen, but if this was a real birthday party, there should be some decorations, and a candle on that cake... Actually, give me a moment, I can fix that.” He pulls a candle out of a drawer, sticks it into the cake and lights it up. “There. Now, there should probably be other guests. Is there anypony, you’d like me to invite? You said earlier, you wanted to make some friends.”

The candle atop the cake is a nice gesture and it makes Amor cherish the moment. Her thoughts still linger in grief but are moving on, thanks to Indigo. “Thank you Indigo, for trying so hard on my account. Maybe it would be best if it was the two of us, this time at least until next time.”

Next time? Oh well, I’ll think about it next year. He looks at the table. “So... are you hungry? I sure am.” He puts some salad on two plates, placing one in front of each of them and starts to eat.

At Indigo’s statement the mare walks over to the table. “Honestly, I’m famished.” She says, too embarrassed to tell the stallion that she has went the entire day without a meal. The two of them spend the next three hours together, eating, drinking and talking. Eventually it gets late and it is time to go to sleep, so Indigo sees Amor to his door.

Amor turns back to him, but just as she is going to say her goodbye, she reminisces in a split second a heartrending memory of one of her early birthdays. The mare’s mind is filled with rolling hills outside of Coupledye, within the walls of a humble graveyard. Amor was a foal of no more than three, hiding in her father’s shadow. The two ponies were looking at a marble slab with the name ‘Anima Kurollodel’ engraved on it. The young filly looked up to the aged, slate gray earth pony, and asked as she prodded her horn, “Daddy, why is mother gone?” The stallion huffed and after a moment answered. “Amor, those the gods love, die young and Heavens’ gates accept them. With time we must accept death too, for why Anima has passed away, was on the Gods’ terms and they know best.” The recollection is blurred by time. Now the mare is happy to add this night to her memories and it made her birthdays less bleak. Her remembrance is broken when Indigo hugs her. The gesture causes her to tense up slightly but she doesn’t reject him. Hmm… His warmth is nice, but why does his coat feel like quills? Her voice comes out shaky. “Thank you for the party, Indigo and goodnight.”

“Goodnigt Amor.” says Indigo. It was nice spending time with you. This party was good, despite my lack of preparations. And I won’t have to bring you drinks again, when it’s hot. After she leaves, he prepares the dishes to be moved back to the kitchen in the morning, lays on his bed, puts out his lamps and falls asleep.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:22:42 pm by Psalms01 »
Victoria intus Amicitia; Amor et Patientiam; Salve ad Armentum.
-Psalms01, your Adoring Omnidimensional Overlord.
> Dues Ex Magma!
> "Nah, we're fine. We have too much food anyway, bad thoughts from seeing vermin never killed nopony, refuse stockpile is less clogged, and cats are safely tucked away in a cage." -Maklak
> Dwarfy Proverb: "Every-dwarf grows there beard to different lengths."
> Psalms tries to type, but the words are deflected by the Google Docs' +broken code+! -Telgin

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: May 12, 2012, 12:49:41 am »

Another huge fort update.  No new ponies this time though.  Here's the save as usual: Dawnpick.zip

Virtue's Diary - 12th Slate, 261

Something most unexpected happened today.  I've known that I must have looked awful... what with everything that's been slowly eating me alive inside, capped off with Longshot nearly being killed instead of me.  It's more than I can really stand.

But while I was at the well this morning trying to force myself to wake up I was approached by Sarissa.  She told me how worried she'd been about me, that she cared a lot about me, and had even knit me a sweater.  I know it seems like a small gesture, but it's just the thing I needed.  I think I might have actually spooked her a bit by hugging her, but she doesn't realize how much it means to me to know that the ponies here care.

I wish I didn't worry them though.  They shouldn't have to worry about me.  I really should be stronger about this.  I'm trying... so... so hard...

19th Slate, 261

Compared to the last little while, today was bit of a small reprieve.  I got word from Panacea today that Longshot has recovered from his injuries and went home.  I stopped by to speak with him for a while, and he certainly seems to be doing better.  It's a weight off my mind to see him okay, although it's a reminder of how easily I could have been in his place.  Even moreso, it reminds me that we almost never talk anymore.  I'm alway so busy I never really get to talk to my friends these days.

We also had another colt grow up today: Blue Moon.  Detergent and Savory held a little party for him, and afterward he went off with the farmers to learn about processing plants and brewing them.  It's not a glorious job, but a crucial one, so I hope he's happy with it.

26th Slate, 261

Today was a bit stressful.  Panacea told me that Jaxler was badly wounded by a badger pony while he and Granite were out together.  Granite is unharmed, but Jaxler is in bad shape.  She managed to get him stable, but he took a serious stab wound to the chest and is going to be hospitalized for a while.  I feel awful for him, nothing but bad luck seems to follow that pony around.

I suppose when I feel depressed and dejected over everything that happens here, I should be thankful that my family and I are largely fine.  Things could always be worse... always.

2nd Felsite, 261

I didn't think I'd ever see the day, but Stiletto has returned to Dawnpick!  I didn't recognize her at first in her strange armor, but I'm happy to see her return.  She claims she's here to help protect us against the rainbow ponies, but I fear what that might mean if Coupledye finds out that the Deutschmeiner might be getting involved.  For now I'll keep her presence a secret from Coupledye, or at least her reasons a secret.

We haven't needed a large fighting force yet at least.  I pray we won't, but I know better.

In any case, I'm glad to see her return.  It's unfortunate that Glyph couldn't return with her though, but he has a large responsibility caring for their child, which I understand.

3rd Felsite, 261

Another day I never thought I'd see.  We had another alicorn show up in Dawnpick recently, but he's about as much of a contrast to Stiletto as is possible.  I'm not entirely convinced he's not completely insane.  He has trouble remember his own name and things that are told to him seconds before.  Maybe he's not crazy... maybe it is just a very bad memory, but either way he worries me immensely.

He asked to be given a weapon, something I have no intention of doing.  I know nothing about him but that he is a bit off, and giving him a weapon sounds like a terrible idea.  So I sent him to go talk to Indigo about being in the reserves.  I know Indigo won't allow it, but I'm going to be completely honest here and say that I just flat didn't feel like dealing with it.  I'm not sure I could have reasoned it out with him anyway.  Indigo is a bit more forceful when he needs to be.

I'm still worried him might do something bad or hurt somepony.  I might speak to Partisan tomorrow and warn him about the new pony.  If anything goes wrong...

9th Felsite, 261

After speaking with Fauchard, it became apparent that leaving the gate down is a liability, so we've started digging a new mine shaft down into the upper mines from a point within the walls.  Once we finish it off, we'll close off the old mines and we can raise the drawbridge to be far safer from any enemies.

While the miners were busying themselves with that, the carpenters started laying down the beginnings of some new homes in the expansion area along the north wall.  We don't need the space just yet, but with so many children moving out of their parents' homes it won't be long before we do.

16th Felsite, 261

We had another foal reach marehood today: Sheer Delight.  Just like Blue Moon, she took to one of the more practical jobs around the city, which was helping the furnace operators produce charcoal for the smelters.  As much as we've been smelting iron and steel lately, I'm sure the existing furnace operators will be happy to have some relief.

We also had another strange mood today.  This time to Chestnut, who is nearly a mare herself.  Her family was surrounding her at the craftspony shops as she set to work making something.  I'm anxious to see what she ends up making.  Hopefully it will help her decide what she wants to do with her life, which she'll need to decide soon.

25th Felsite, 261

Chestnut finished her scepter today, which is quite a beautiful display of woodcrafting if I do say so myself.

After I spoke with her about it though, it seems she's not really happy with the idea of being a wood crafter.  That saddens me a bit to hear her say that though, since it's a fantastic piece and I'm sure she'd be perfect at it.  She even got a cutie mark for it.  I hope she decides soon what she wants though, she'll be six in just a few weeks.

3rd Hematite, 261

Well, the old mineshaft is sealed off and the gate has been raised.  We're pretty much cut off from any danger inside now, except for anything that might come out of the mines.  With the caverns sealed off though, we should be completely safe.  I feel a little better now, as the job was coming to a close I couldn't help but wonder if we'd get attacked and have compromised security because of it.

Security brings me to something else though.  We decided to build a new barracks inside the keep for my personal guard to train in.  I think Glaive and the rest were happy with the results, and it means they can train without interfering too much or being interfered with by the militia.

It's not much to look at, but it's there anyway.  The old barracks really are becoming a bit crowded.

7th Malachite, 261

Chestnut is a mare today, and I'm quite pleased with what that ended up meaning.  She's been spending some time with Panacea, and she's decided to help out in the hospital.  It's a reminder of the loss of Wool, but she's a sweet young mare and I'm sure she's going to be a big help to Panacea.

14th Galena, 261

As usual for this time of year, we had a zebra caravan arrive.  We also traded for about the same things as usual.  In the end we traded about fifty thousand bits worth of food and some of the old green glass windows we've been replacing for some drink, leather and a fair bit of wooden furniture to help with the new housing.

17th Galena, 261

Billows was taken by one of those strange moods today, and has claimed one of the forges for some project he's begun working on.  He's already a very skilled smith, so I can't wait to see what he produces.  I'm certain it will be beautiful, and hopefully something we can find useful.

In other news, with Jury here and the new counsellor Silver Tongue, we're in need of a few more offices.  As requested, they're away from the living areas.  Frankly, I'm not the least bit upset about Jury being far away from my office.  My first real talk with her went more poorly than I could have ever imagined.  She's one of the most hateful mares I've ever met.  I can't help but feel a lot of apprehension about the legal future of Dawnpick, but she's here now and there's little I can do.

3rd Limestone, 261

I have pretty mixed feelings about today.

On one hoof, Billows did indeed make an amazing buckler, which has been turned over to the militia.  Last I heard from Halberd it was probably going to Kukri, who I'd say has more than earned it.

But on the other hoof, I turned over a lot of my duties to Longshot.  I was worried he'd be unhappy at the prospect of working harder, but when I mentioned to him I was barely able to cope anymore, he gladly took over as the manager and book keeper of Dawnpick.  I feel a little guilty now, but he assured me over and over again that he was happy to help and wanted more to do anyway.  Amor and Indigo will probably speak to him about it since they've been giving me advice over the past couple of years.  Maybe they'll lend a hoof.

As much as he claims it's for the best, I can't help but feel a bit useless now.  With Jury taking over legal matters, and with him taking over managerial duties, I don't have a lot left to do.  I thought I'd be happy at the chance to get some rest, but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

24th Limestone, 261

We nearly had a tragedy today.

The militia was preparing to head into the upper caverns to clear them out for the masons to seal off a larger section of it, when Stiletto was ambushed by one of the giant monsters we missed.  Naginata said she was repeatedly knocked over by the beast and so wasn't able to retaliate until it nearly tore her wing off.  She was badly wounded in the fight but managed to slay the beast before it took her life.

She's in the hospital now with severe wounds to her wing, a bad cut across her eye and a gash down her side.  Panacea told me she nearly lost her while she and Chestnut tended to her, but she's stable now.

Needless to say I'm quite shaken up by it.  Stiletto returned to Dawnpick to help protect us against the rainbows, not the monsters underground.  And like Bardiche she nearly lost her life for it.

I'm going to go visit her and make sure everything is going to be okay.  It has to be.

She's pretty banged up, but she'll live.

28th Limestone, 261

Compared to what happened just days ago, today was a pretty happy day.  My little Rose is a mare herself now.  I've been waiting for this day for six years now, and I'm very happy to see her officially an adult now.  We've been talking about what she would do, and she's actually interested in helping me out when the caravans arrive.  It's about all I have left to do in Dawnpick, but if it's what she wants I want her to have it.  I'll probably still help her out some, and she may help Longshot out a bit if he gets too busy.

I'm also happy to report that Stiletto has already left the hospital.  I don't know how it's possible, but she's up on her hooves and moving around.  She's still in bad shape, but refused to stay in bed any longer and Panacea agrees that she should recover soon.

All in all, a good day I think.

14th Sandstone, 261

We had another filly turn into a mare today, Floral.  She had been having a hard time thinking of what she wanted to do in life, but with the work going on to secure the caverns I think the decision sort of fell to her.  She's working with the masons now, and we never can seem to have enough help there.  I've spoken with the masons about sealing off the cavern, and Mortar told me it's going to take months to do properly.

But it will be worth it once we do get them sealed off.

28th Sandstone, 261

With all of the business of sealing off the caverns we'd neglected the two offices being built along the south wall, but that all got finished off today.  Jury and Silver Tongue are free to move their things in whenever they please.  I've noticed Jury seems a bit happier with her arrangements working with Partisan than I expected, so I don't know how she's going to feel about the new office.

Well, she asked for it, and she got it anyway.

Forgot to add this last night.  It's a couple of small offices, but they're away from the housing near the south wall.  If they should be so close together... I don't know.  But, that's what I've got so far anyway.  Might should move some cabinets into the offices like mentioned in RP.

24th Timber, 261

We had yet another incident in the caverns.  The sooner they're closed off and safe, the sooner I'll be able to sleep at night.

This time we had some gigantic things that feed on the mushrooms down there wander into the half-completed walls.  Dralthas, I'm told they're called.  Anyway, the guard were watching at the time and scared the things off.  Yari even managed to kill one.  As they were switching out with the reserves however, the dralthas came back.

The reserves jumped into action, that much I'm proud of at least.  Jaxler shot one of the things dead with his crossbow, but Kit ran into another as she was leaving the caverns.  She was forced into melee, which she's not trained for, and ended up badly bruised and with a shattered hoof from the fight.  Indigo saved her life by cutting the draltha's head off.

I wish I wasn't there to see that.

I was heading down to the caverns to inspect how things were progressing, since I have little else to do these days.  When I saw the fight and saw Kit get injured, everything else left my mind for a moment.  Indigo seemed to be very shaken up about the whole thing, which is understandable.  Eventually he moved his squad off to cover all of the ways into the mines, and I grabbed Kit up and headed for the surface.  We managed to get her to Panacea quickly, and she's being tended to right now.

Her hoof is badly broken, but Panacea assures me she'll be fine.

I dearly hope so.  After seeing what happened... I probably won't be sleeping much tonight.

9th Moonstone, 261

Wisteria is a mare today, and like Floral before her didn't really know what to do with herself now.  Just like Floral, she's helping out with the masons now to help get the walls finished.  I'm glad to see her choose that profession.  The sooner we get the walls up, the better.  No more dralthas have been spotted, but it's only a matter of time.

19th Moonstone, 261

A couple of things happened today of note: first, I'm quite happy to see Kit leaving the hospital.  She's still a bit unsteady on her wounded hoof, but Panacea is certain she'll recover in time.  I hate that she got hurt in the first place, but maybe she'll be the last pony to be wounded by monsters underground.

The second thing was yet another strange mood among the children.  This time it was Autumn, who rushed off to one of the craftshops to begin work on something strange.  It will probably be something wooden, based on what she's gathered so far, but I'm anxious to see what it is.

9th Opal, 261

Autumn finished the toy axe she was working on today.  It's probably the most finely crafted toy of its kind that I've ever seen.  The only trouble is I have no idea what to do with it, so I let her family keep it for now.

There's little else that can be done with it, I think.  Either way, her family was happy to have her back, far more than the toy, which I can't blame them for at all.

19th Opal

We had a small scare in the caverns today.  Another giant beast turned up in the deeper caverns.  While it has no way to reach our workers in the upper caverns, it's a reminder we must make haste.

8th Obsidian, 261

Maize is a stallion today, and after the customary celebration he went off with Harvest Moon to learn about tending to the fields.  We're still producing a fair bit more food than we need, but with so many extra hooves around I'm glad he can lend some assistance to the farmers.  They won't have to work quite as hard now, anyway.

23rd Obsidian, 261

I've not been so scared since the day of the caravan massacre.

Another assassin forced his way into Dawnpick tonight, somehow bypassing the moat and walls.  He then came to the keep where he somehow scaled the walls to the windows of our bedroom.  We were woken by him breaking through, and it was all I could do to scream for my and my family's lives as I saw his shifting shape in the darkness.

Glaive arrived in what seemed an impossibly short time afterward, having been patrolling out front of the keep.  He lit the room with his magic and slew the assassin in the middle of our bedroom.  I thought the scene in the caverns would haunt me, but that paled in comparison to seeing somepony who was intent on murdering me or anypony in my family torn apart by Glaive's righteous fury.

We owe our lives to that pony, and I don't know how to express that enough.  I... I need to think on it.  I won't be sleeping any more tonight, that much I can be sure of.  I don't think any of us will.

I feel sick.

Had yet another diplomat show up, who I introduced to Glaive.  They'll get the message eventually.  I hope.

24th Obsidian, 261

It was difficult for me to really keep all of this together after what happened last night, so I'll be brief.

Clear Skies grew up today, and joined the mechanics and miners.  We needed another miner, and having another mechanic couldn't hurt, so I think it's a good choice.

Rose also traded with the home caravan, where she sent back almost 130 thousand bits worth of steel and food for a lot of hospital supplies, exotic ores, wood, leather and a few other things I don't recall.

I'm proud of her, she did a good job to say I was too shaken up to really do any good.  She seems to be handling the attack well, at least.  Better than I am.

7th Granite, 262

With all of the children growing up lately, it's been hard to find work for them, but Daisy joined the furnace operators today.  After sending back so much steel to Coupledye, we're expected to keep producing a lot, so more charcoal will be needed.  It's a dirty but necessary part of the process, so I hope she takes to it with some pride.

20th Granite, 262

We haven't seen much out of the diamond dogs lately, but today broke that respite.  Hickory was outside the walls helping to move some things around when she ran into one.  It bit her on the nose!

Ouch.  It won't ever heal either, since it's cartilage.

It wasn't that bad, thankfully and the doctors already have her taken care of, but it's yet another reminder that we can't take anything for granted out here.  Assassins, badger ponies, diamond dogs... what's next?

7th Felsite, 262

We've been spared these strange moods among the militia for the most part, but another militia pony was taken today.  Guisarme slipped away during training to claim a craftspony shop.  As usual, no amount of speaking with him or trying to convince him to return to duty did Halberd or Naginata any good, and he's busying himself by fetching things.  He's gathered a lot of wood, so I can imagine he'll make some wooden crafts.

10th Slate, 262

Guisarme finished his scepter today, which is exquisite as I expected.  Like the last one I don't know what to do with it though, so we're just holding it in the stocks for now.  Guisarme seemed indifferent about making it and headed back off to pick back up where he left off in training.

Another useless craft.  Oh well. :(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:20:29 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Allaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: May 12, 2012, 11:44:56 am »

Midnight's diary.
First new entry.

I can't believe I found this old thing... Damn, the stuff I documented. So many grim memories.
It reminds me why I ever got one, I never thought I'd need this again. But, I feel like a shadow
is coming over me, like something grim will happen.

I feel like I should rip out half of this book, and burn it. Perhaps toss the whole thing away, and
buy another. But I doubt I'll ever do that. Though, what would have been the point of getting it
at all then? If I didn't want to write these things down, why not find somewhere and yell, or cry?

Perhaps I should see about visiting little Rose again. It was truly hard not to be happy around her.
I barely remember the last time I saw her...

Maybe I'll track down Stiletto as well. I feel like I should at least try to get to know that mare.
Hmm, I can say that about many of the ponies here. I really should be more social...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:51:23 am by Allaki »

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: May 12, 2012, 04:08:19 pm »

Jaxler's journal.

27th Slate, 261
Well… about died yesterday. My lung seems to be hurting like hell, I think. I’ve never been good at judging pain. Amor and Flux checked up on me today.  It was nice and all, but I don’t really know how to feel about it. I don’t like the idea of having others worry about me, but I like the idea of ponies caring about me. Buck it, I need some damn booze.

12th Felsite, 261
I got out of the hospital yesterday, and I had a flying lesson with Kit. I feel kinda bad that I had to get drunk to actually enjoy the whole flying thing. I’d don’t know why but I would prefer not to have the mare hate my like everypony else. Also today I learned that the alicorn came back to town…  Also I learned that we have ANOTHER damned alicorn in town.  Apparently the guy’s as smart as a brick and has a perpetual smile on his face. I really just want to hit the damned foal.

24th Limestone, 261
Stiletto got hurt today. The alicorn got her wing horrible injured today fighting a monster. Still as much as I should be happy to know that an alicorn got hurt I still can’t help but feel slightly concerned for her.  The damned  prideful alicorn get what was coming to her.

24th Timber, 261
Damnit, Kit got hurt today. I feel like crap. I should have been able to shoot faster or better or something. She got a busted hoof from a draltha. Indigo had to save her life. Why the hell couldn’t have been a better soldier or… damnit I need a drink.

23rd Obsidian, 261
An assassin showed up again. The guy got smeared across the walls of virtues rooms. I feel bad for virtue. She seems to be falling apart now-in-days. I wish I knew some way to help her, but to be honest I probably would only make her feel worse somehow.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: May 12, 2012, 10:10:22 pm »

Sarissa's Journal - 2nd Felsite 261

Looks like that old harlot Stiletto has returned. Why'd she have to come back? She should have stayed gone and taken her filthy ways with her. Who knows which pony she'll try to seduce next. Well, at least it means that we've got some more muscle to keep Dawnpick safe, I suppose.

24th Limestone 261

So Stiletto got the oats beaten out of her by a forgotten beast today, though she lived. Maybe it's not right, but I can't help but feel a bit of schadenfreuda over the incident.

23rd Obsidian 261

I am
so angry right now. Those bucking Rainbow Ponies sent an assassin to take the life of Our Lady! Thankfully, he was killed by Glaive before he could lay a hoof on her. He's lucky that I didn't run into him before Glaive did. I would have made him suffer. I would have made him beg for his life. Then I would have laughed as I crushed his windpipe.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:13:21 pm by Kryptid »

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: May 13, 2012, 12:16:18 pm »

(( Late Moonstone 260 ))

During the recent captain’s meeting, Indigo asked for the reserves to be permitted to keep their combat gear in their rooms and wear it at will. That month the masons were working on moving a section of the wall around Dawnpick. While it should be reasonably safe, occasional attacks by the bandits were a constant threat and a few times in the history of Dawnpick, they made it pretty far inside the town despite all the guards and patrols. It therefore stood to reason to be prepared for such an event. Indigo washed himself, put his armour over his robe, took his shield and weapons and went to eat breakfast. Ponies in the dining hall weren’t talking about anything interesting, at least those close to him. When he was sated, he went to work on the wall.

Working in armour was a slight inconvenience, but quite bearable. Since he used his horn and not hooves, it didn’t matter much. Some of the other masons, including Jury, cast him a few surprised glances, but said nothing. At daybreak he went to fetch Amor, who was making stone blocks, as usual.

Amor is getting a swallow of water from her -Triffle Pewter Flask-, secured to her mason’s smock by a beetroot red dyed pig tail thread rope. She is disappointed to be working on making blocks from the exquisite marble stone. At least something is being made, but... don’t we have enough blocks already? Maybe I could start commissioning statues. Her thoughts are broken by the sight of Indigo in full uniform walking over to her. The mare slams her fore-hoof into her chisel in an unintended manner, damaging her block. It is still usable, but the scratch disappoints her. “Indigo, are you on duty? I thought you were off from training with the reserves this month?” She says, as she puts her tools away and inspects her work, huffing at the mistakes. In the very least I’m done for today.

“No, I was just building a wall.” Looking at her blocks Indigo notices some small mistakes; nothing too bad, but her block usually come out pretty close to perfect. “Did you have a bad day?”

“No, Indigo. You just distracted me… You had startled me into thinking, that I might have to run for the cellars.” She says prominently annoyed, but calming down. “Why are you in full uniform?” Why is this world so that good ponies must dress for war? She huffs again at the thought.

Indigo looks around in confusion, scanning for potential threats, but finds nothing of interest. He just spots one of the pegasusai guards circling over Dawnpick. “Oh, that. The reserves are allowed to keep their equipment and wear it all the time now. We were working on moving the perimeter wall closer to that hill, and the badger ponies sometimes show up there. They also occasionally penetrate our defences. I’m wearing this just in case I have to fight. If there are any scouts around, seeing more armoured ponies may also serve as a deterrent to an attack. Though I admit, this is less comfortable than my normal outfit.”

Looking sternly at the stallion she still nods her head. “That may be true but it is trading some problems for others. The armor might slow down your work or needless endanger your life or others. One day another incident like the pier falling might happen and that armor slows you… and this time you or others could die.” She gives pause to let Indigo counter.

“Well... yes, it slows me down a bit, but not much. I trained running and dancing in it. I see your point, but in case of an accident, I’d rather have something to protect me. If there is some danger, I’d prefer to have my armour on than no protection at all.” counters Indigo.

Amor continues her stare, but cracks a small smile at the image of Indigo dancing. “And what of the distraction that you caused? Have you seen many heads turning, as you trotted around ready for battle?” She digs her fore-hooves in the ground.

“Some ponies stared at me, but they’ll get used to it. Why is me wearing all this such a problem to you?” asks Indigo.

The mare sighs and looks down for a moment before returning her gaze. “War barding and weaponized tools have no place in civilian life Indigo. It makes us appear war like and causes separation among our allies and… each other. One day you could be ordered to go somewhere and do something, come back as a war hero and be seen as a villain. Your barding will be a reminder to others and to yourself of what you have done. Maybe this is my personal reasons; I just do not want you in the reserves, but thank you for doing it.” Says Amor, as she begins to get the blocks ready for when Amber returns to collect and transfers them to the stockpiles. Maybe I should skip dinner.

Indigo’s mood deteriorates. He is silent for a while. “I’ll do what I have to, but I’m not a hero, Amor.” He looks around making sure, nopony is listening, then lowers his voice, speaking with somber expression. “To tell you the truth, I’m pretty fed up with the reserves myself, but I can’t back off now. I just... can’t.”

Amor’s voice becomes fit for the outdoors, as she temporarily gives up stacking the blocks and takes a few steps to Indigo. “Then you have a disturbing deficit of will, Indigo. If you are troubled by what you chose for yourself and lack the will to change it, then think, what burden you are going to be when needed. Why do you foals insist in playing soldier?” Her voice is stressed and she adopts a pose appropriate more for a warrior.

I really don’t envy her future husband. Indigo takes a step back, lying his ears flat. “Stop it! I... I’m not... I won’t be a burden. I have obligations now. If... if you want to talk about it, come to my room when you’re ready to do so in a civilized manner.” He slowly walks off towards the dining hall, his spirit sunken. Why would she do this to me? I thought she was a friend. Mares... they always find new ways to hurt me.

The curly mane unicorn is hurt by seeing the harm she did and slowly trots up beside the leaving pony. “Indigo, wait. Forgive me for berating you, but why do you do this to yourself?” She says with her usual timid volume.

Indigo stops and looks back at her, with tired expression. “Have you ever had a feeling that you aren’t in control of your own life, as if you were riding in a mining cart, couldn’t get off and could only continue forward? Because that’s how I feel about the reserves. In the beginning I just wanted some way to work out my anger and training in the barracks helped me. Then one thing left to another and now I have a squad and some obligations to fulfill, weather I want to or not. So please don’t lecture me on my ‘deficit of will’!” Indigo begins quietly, but raises his voice for the last part.

Huffing, the mare lays her ears back along her head similar to Indigo’s, as she mulls over her experience working for The Crown. “Yes Indigo, I can say much the same about the mining cart metaphor. Realize that at some point you gave the reigns to your life to others and to reclaim control you must confront them…” She stops and looks towards the fort before returning to Indigo. “I just worry about you, so please don’t die, when it is uncalled for. Otherwise, I support you.”

Indigo relaxes a bit when he hears that. “I... thought about it, but there is a possibility of war and all this cavern exploration is going on.” Which was just another one of my stupid ideas. Why couldn’t I keep my mouth shut? “Soldiers are needed more than ever now. I have at least some training. If I resign, some less experienced pony will take my place. Or Jaxler will take over my squad and turn them into some kind of bandits. He tries to do just that all the time.” Indigo looks at her, rather touched.  “I... Thank you for your concern. I don't want to die and try to minimise the risks as best as I can. I intend to call for backup, don’t go into danger alone, train to use my weapons, wear armour, shoot enemies with a crossbow before engaging them, hide behind my shield... Still, it may not be enough and I understand the danger.” Indigo looks at the ground. “There is another, equally disturbing though. At some point I may be forced to kill somepony. I’m sorry about it, but I see no way out of it.” He looks in her eyes. “So as you can see I’m not some kind of glory or excitement seeker. But I still have to do this.”

Listening as the other unicorn talks, Amor hangs onto each word. The concept, that Indigo might have to kill another pony, eats at the mare and it shows on her face. “Indigo, if you have to kill another pony in self-defense or the defense of another, then I would hold nothing against you. Please don’t hold it against yourself.” She locks her eyes with his. “And if you go your whole life responsible for the reserves, without taking innocent life or losing it, would you at least enjoy what you chose.”

Indigo looks at her with sadness and sighs. “It is not your forgiveness I’m worried about, but my own. As for the reserves, there are some good moments, but most of it is tedious. I enjoy making things, not killing.”

Setting on the ground, she looks away and kicks her foreleg at the floor. “Creating things lies in our nature, but this world at times demands that things should die, so we may continue to create.” Amor looks back at Indigo wearing a forlorn face. “I wish it was not so, but we must go on.” After a moment the mare remembers, that she has not yet finished stacking the bricks for Amber and that she has seen neither head nor tail of the apprentice in a while. “Thank you Indigo, for sharing your worries with me.” She says, getting up to return to the mason workshop.

“Thank you for hearing them,” says Indigo and frowns. ”Amor, and please don’t repeat to other ponies what I just told you. I have a position to maintain and it would be devastating, if my squad started calling me a coward.” Why have I told you all of this? Maybe I just needed somepony to talk to. Indigo looks after her as she goes back to organize her blocks. He intended to spend the evening with her, but decides that perhaps after all the things he told her, they both need some time alone to think. He sighs, and walks towards the dining hall. It is good to have a friend.

(( Maklak says: We were trying to get Indigo and Amor to argue over something, but instead he opened to her and they are even closer after this. While that is rather un-paranoid of him, my head cannon is that Amor is smarter and more cunning than Indigo, so I dumb him down a notch in scenes with her. ))
> Dues Ex Magma!
> "Nah, we're fine. We have too much food anyway, bad thoughts from seeing vermin never killed nopony, refuse stockpile is less clogged, and cats are safely tucked away in a cage." -Maklak
> Psalms tries to type, but the words are deflected by the Google Docs' +broken code+! -Telgin

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: May 13, 2012, 12:17:39 pm »

(( Day 1 of Opal, 260 ))

For a mining village, especially one specializing in steel, Dawnpick’s lack of a full time metal crafter willing to do commissions, was disappointing to Amor. Worse yet, the best one around was the guards-pony Kat and she had a history with Indigo. Pewter was too busy filling orders for steel armour with Billows. There was also Copper Trim, but the mare was only just learning how to work with metals. It took a few days of observing and waiting for the mason to approach Kat at the forges. Amor trots up to her, with the flask and a money purse around her neck. The mix of heat and smoke chokes the unicorn into a raspy cough, but she blocks it elegantly with her fore-hoof. She moves closer to introduce herself, giving the pegasus her routine curtsy  “Hello, I’m Amor. I’m here for a commission if you are willing to take one.”

Kat is working on some new carving tools. She notices Amor and gives her a smile “Hello there Amor!” She has occasionally seen this mare around the town. She is a fellow Dawnpicker, that’s for sure.  “A commission you say? Sure! What is it?”

Unsure and a little off put by Kat’s forwardness; Amor thinks it best to move along. The unicorn places her -Triffle Pewter Flask- on the hornblende workbench. “I looked in the stockpile, found a billon metal bar and wish that you use it to place decorations on this flask’s two sides. On one face I want a picture of one my statues of two ponies and on the other, an image of a… debate I had with a friend.” She says in raspy voice, because of the hostile atmosphere of the forges.

Kat, even though her coat seems to be so soft and thin, isn’t as bothered by the forge, as she is used to the heat and smoke by now. “Oh? Well I can do that, no problem!” She chirps with a friendly smile. “When do you want it done?”

Amor contemplates on how to best describe the dispute she had with Indigo, while skipping the names and details about the content of the dialog. “So... I want two unicorns, one in a reservist’s uniform, another in a mason’s smock and both looking in opposite directions. As for the other side, I want a picture of my ≡statue of ponies≡ to adorn its surface.” She says, placing her left fore-hoof under her chin. “No, I didn’t explain that last one right. I desire two unicorns balancing roof tiles on their backs and smiling. How much would this cost me?”

Kat rubs her chin, as she ponders and estimates the cost for a little while, then answers with a smile. “Just say thanks.”

Upon hearing the price, Amor laughs and has to sit down. “Just a pleasant smile, it's full of worth and goodness too, with mare-ly kindness blent, it’s worth a million bits and it doesn't cost a cent. Kat, you are a paragon of generosity. Just one more question: how long will it take?” Amor says, enthusiastic at the notion of it being free, but her upbringing would not let her have the joy. Wait, this is not right. A good deed can demand another, but not necessarily a good one in return. Kat could come later and ask for a favor, that I would be unwilling to fulfill. “Hold, I can’t walk away without paying, please state a price.” The mare says decidedly.

Kat keeps her smile and answers. “It’ll be done before dinner and you being happy is the price I want.”

The other mare reminded Amor of another pegasus, she has once known, but less endearing. She shakes her head. “Kat, what would you have to gain from helping me?”

“I gain the knowledge that I made another pony happy and made a gift for an important friend of hers. And that makes me happy. What else is there more valuable than that?” Kat questions back.

“A conscience as clean as the waters from our water purifier and a soul worth more then platinum. These are worth just as much if not more, but I would not be happy until I pay, so please state a price.” What alternate motive do you have? Amor looks sternly at the pegasus, skeptical to what drives the other mares.

Kat frowns slightly “I do not understand, why paying would make you happy, so I’ll just assume it will make the item feel more valuable, although any gift is already precious by itself. So I guess a hundred bits will do just fine.” She says with a smile as she offers her price. Shouldn’t it be like seven times more for my work’s quality? Oh well.

Amor breaths in relief and drops her stern stare. I arrived here expecting to barter the price down, not up. This Dawnpick is a backwards place, but in a good way. She thinks, as she places her sheep wool purse dyed beetroot red on the workbench, counts the bits and gives them to Kat. “One-hundred in full, thank you Kat.” She picks her purse back and breathes in relief again, because she came here willing to spend over a thousand bits.

Kat nods with a smile, as she accepts the bits and puts them into her own money purse. “Be seeing you Amor.”

The unicorn wanted to stay and chat with the pegasus, but decided against it. This Kat is too friendly for me. Maybe I’ll talk to her later, when she is not so bubbly. Amor returns before dinner to retrieve her flask and is surprised by the masterwork quality. “Thank you, Kat.” The unicorn says, as she secures the container to its rope and slings it around her neck. “If anypony asks where to get metal work done, I know who to reference.” Adds Amor as she marvels the ☼«-Triffle Pewter Flask- »☼. “Farewell, Kat.” Says the unicorn, as she curtseys and trots off to the dinning hall.

“Thanks Amor, Farewell!” Kat says, waving happily, as she watches the other mare leaving happy.

☼«-Triffle Pewter Flask- »☼                800☼

This is a well-crafted Triffle Pewter Flask. On the item is a masterwork image of exceptional statue of ponies in marble by Amor by Kat in billion. On the item is a masterwork image of two unicorns in disagreement by Kat in billion.

===============================================

(( 1st Opal, 260 ))

That evening, Indigo meets with Amor after work as usual. He immediately notices, that the flask he gave her, has some kind of coppery decoration on it. “Amor, can I see that?” he asks, pointing at her flask with a hoof.

Amor is just about to take a sip from her flask, when she hears Indigo asking to see it. A part of her hopes that he only wants a drink, but she knows what it must be about, as she hoofs him her ☼«-Triffle Pewter Flask- »☼.

Indigo takes the flask from her and looks in bewilderment at the beautifully detailed scenes on both sides of it. He recognizes the references and is quite touched by them. Amor was usually quite modest and practical and he never expected anything this flamboyant from her. “Wow. This is beautiful. I just wanted you to never be thirsty during your days, I had no idea, you would want it decorated... with us.” Maybe I should have gotten her a *silver flask* instead, even though it costed more than I save in two months.

The mare is a little anxious and embarrassed, both by the stallion examining the container and by his statements. “Thank you, Indigo. Without you, I would never have the flask… or the memories.” Amor says, as she attempts to bury the tips of her hooves into the ground.

“The memories? What do you...” He is shocked by a sudden realisation. She is afraid, I’ll die in a war and wants something to remember me by. I should better... change the subject. Indigo quickly recomposes himself. “Ah, nevermind... The copper of the decorations is a nice contrast to the silvery sheen of Triffle pewter, don’t you agree? So... tell me, who did it? Pewter? I know he is good, but this is quite exquisite work.” It must have costed you a small fortune and a few times more then the flask itself.

She now feels more concerned than embarrassed, but the thought of lying to her friend never crosses the mind of the female unicorn. “With the memory of your confiding in me still fresh in my mind, I commissioned the first available metal worker, Kat. Amusingly, she was going to do the job for free, I had to insist on paying and those decorations were made with billion.”

Indigo’s expression hardens. “Kat... is very skilled. But I have no idea, why she would want to do this for free, except if she wanted you to owe her a favour.” He gives the flask back with a smile. “Well, enjoy it then.” What’s done is done, there is no sense to dwell on it. “So, are you hungry? Lets go eat something.” He waits for her to come along and they go do the dining hall.

“I plan on enjoying it, Indigo.” She says merrily, after he returns the flask and begins to follow the stallion. Maybe, Kat truly wants to be your friend. So long as there are two ponies left in this world, somepony is going to want somepony else as a friend.
> Dues Ex Magma!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: May 13, 2012, 11:11:20 pm »

(( Room layout ))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jaxler was in his room. He had a feeling, that him attacking a near noble pony was likely going to get him in some serious trouble. Jury deserved that punch, but legally he was at fault. The stallion assumed, that he could get jail time, get beaten or even killed for hitting the mare, but the one thing that scared him the most was the idea of having his crossbow taken away. Jaxler looked to the corner of his room, where he kept a barrel of 190 proof Moonshine. He took it to the back of his room, near his window, and popped open the lid. Jaxler also took his oil lantern, that stood on top of his cabinet and put it on the window sill. He then opened his coffer, took out his brass horseshoes and a few large iron daggers, which he hid around the room and on his person. Then he slung his crossbow onto his back. Jaxler moved over next to his window and stood there, waiting for somepony from the guard or militia to come to his door.

Partisan raced from his room as soon as the door was closed, Flying quickly and quietly. It took him a few minutes to reach the Barracks, only to find nopony there. Knowing Jaxler, he will be preparing for a fight. I can’t go alone. With firm resolve to get this over with as quickly and safely as possible, Partisan grabbed two quivers full of bolts and two crossbows, hoping that he would not need them. He made sure that everything was in working order and sped off once more, going to a pony he knew he could trust in this kind of situation.

Kat was done for the day. She was already in her nightgown and preparing for a good night’s sleep. Just before she got to lay on her bed, she heard knocking. It almost produced a groan from the pegasus mare, but she bit it back and went over to answer it anyway, hoping it would be worthwhile. Her back straightened up instinctively as she saw her Captain there. She gave him a quick surprised sharp salute. “Captain?”

Partisan tossed her a quiver, and watched, as she caught it with ease that can only come through continuous practice. “It’s Jaxler. He punched Jury and now she is demanding his arrest.” His words were quick and more professional than usual. “We have to do it.”

Still in her nightgown, Kat strapped on the quiver and got her crossbow. All she needed to hear was ‘Jaxler’ and ‘he punched’ to know enough of what was going on. “Alright Captain, are we going in hot? Seeing that you brought me ammo and all...” She asked, surpassing a yawn and masking her sleepiness. The very idea of putting Jaxler in jail before going to bed was kind of a nice way to end a day in her view.

“That depends on his first move. I will handle it, if it comes to that. You just follow my lead.” Before she could say anything, he rushed over to Indigo’s door, not too far away, and gave it a gentle knock. Hard enough to be heard, but soft enough not to carry.

After work, Indigo cleaned himself, ate, filled the bowl in his room with fresh water and was looking over some papers. Nothing important, but some level of paperwork was useful for keeping track of things. He heard a quiet knock on his door. Not Amor. Who could it be, then? Indigo went over and opened it, seeing distressed-looking Partisan.

“Indigo, we have an issue.” Partisan took in a deep breath before he continued. “Its Jaxler. He struck Jury. From the report, it was only once, but, it was enough to make her bleed, and it was done on purpose. She came to me demanding his arrest.” And another deep breath. “I came to you because, as Jaxler’s regiment leader, you are responsible to help me do so. I am sorry that this happened before I was able to take him back under my wing.” When finished, he let out a long and irritated sigh.

Take him back under your wing? I’ll finally be rid of him? Well, thanks for telling me. Indigo frowned, looking at Partisan. “I was expecting something like this to happen.” He spoke, as he hastily went back to his room to get his combat equipment, leaving his door open. “Knowing Jaxler, he will consider moving in force on him to be an attack and retaliate. If you want him to go to jail peacefully, your best chance is to go in alone, and leave your backup by the door. And I trust you got somepony to watch his window? He can fly, you know.” Indigo put on his mail shirt and helmet over his robe and choose his close combat gear: a shield and an iron axe, which was forged before Dawnpick had steel and before Castiron learned to make good weapons. Indigo left his crossbow and quiver on his table, so he could run back for them quickly. He really hoped Jaxler would be rational, and fighting wouldn’t be necessary, but being drafted like that still proved the usefulness of keeping their combat gear at hoof by the reserves.

Kat, still in her nightgown, trotted over to Partisan, her crossbow loaded and bolts at the ready. She arrived just a short moment after Partisan and heard Indigo talking something about ‘watch his window’ so she assumed she would be doing that. “Captain, you’d want me to watch his window in case he flies?” she asked, giving Indigo a nod, just to show that she acknowledged his existence.

“From the side. If he happens to be looking out there, I don’t want him to see you. He might jump to conclusions.” That said, he turned to Indigo and gave him a nod at his skilled call.

“I often fly around in my dress with my crossbow and bolts Captain. I believe It wouldn’t be too suspicious.” Kat informed, confident that she wouldn’t rise too much suspicion... But if Jaxler knew that somepony was coming for him, that’d be a different story.

Partisan opened his mouth to give Kat another quick warning, when his thoughts were interrupted by the sound of quick trotting.

Already dressed in her full regalia, armed and armoured, Falcata was hurrying down the corridor on her way to the keep, when she bumped into Partisan and Kat (or was it Kit? She could never tell), both of the guardsponies standing in the corridor, at the threshold of Indigo’s door, with their weapons and armour and having what looked like a very serious discussion. "Um, hello? What's going on?" she asked the pair, unsure which of them was in charge of this little gathering. "It's not Indigo, is it?"

“Shhh!” Partisan sharply blew on his hoof, motioned for her to come closer and told her a short version of the story.

Once Indigo got everything he needed, he joined them outside. Exercises in putting armour on and off have finally paid off; it took him only a moment this time. He closed, but didn’t bar the door to his room, positioned himself to the east of Jaxler’s door and waited for further orders.

Jaxler? Hit Jury? Falcata bit her lip, torn. She really should be going to take over from Fuscina's shift as ducal guard right away, but she didn't want to miss this at all. At the very least, Jaxler deserved a pat on the back from somepony for putting that racist judge back in her place before Jury probably had him locked up.
Virtue will be fine without me for a few minutes... she convinced herself, pushing a slight feeling of guilt aside. This was probably one of those ‘exceptional circumstances’, anyway.
"All right, wow. Um, do you three need any help with that, by any chance? You know how he can be, and he probably knows you're coming."

Partisan shook his head in slight protest, but quickly changed his mind. She was right and, even though he had thought about this earlier, she would probably be a better choice to have with them, considering the fact that she was skilled in close range combat.
“Sure, but remember, we don’t want this to blow out of proportion. I don’t want anyone to get killed over this.” Partisan made sure that his point came across strong and silently nodded for Kat to get into position.

Kat nodded in acknowledgement, and with her wings spread and crossbow on her back, she took to the air and flied into her position, where she had a good look at Jaxler’s window. She tried to keep it casual, as if she was having one of her usual late-night flights again, hoping she wouldn’t alarm Jaxler, even if he sees her.

Having quietly padded across to stand beside Indigo outside of Jaxler's door, Falcata nudged the inexperienced unicorn gently, murmuring in his ear. "Hey, Indigo, just a thought. You might want to, uh, sort of... stand back a bit if he comes out here with hooves swinging looking for a fight, given that you and the rest of your squad are kind of, um, not exactly at mine or Jaxler's level. No offense." she added hastily, not wanting to offend him.

Indigo nodded and obeyed. He always told his squad, that in any real combat they will be better off doing what experienced soldiers tell them and generally practiced what he preached. None of his previous disagreements with Falcata over what he told Lady Virtue counted at this moment. He also wasn’t any kind of glory seeker and had nothing against other soldiers fighting in his stead.

Partisan walked slowly to Jaxler’s door, going over every possibility in his head. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. He took a few seconds to clear his thoughts and looked in Indigo and Falcata’s direction, making sure that they were in place and ready.
“Jaxler!” He said, not even bothering to knock. “I am sure you knew I would be here, and why, so I’ll skip the formalities. Just come out, unarmed. I don't want any conflict.” His voice was strong and authoritative, hiding the anger that still swelled in the back of his throat.

‘Come out unarmed’, the hell was Partisan thinking? Jaxler would never leave his crossbow behind. “I’ll come out peacefully under two conditions. One, you promise not to try to whack me off the moment I walk outside and two, you let me keep my crossbow. I won’t bring any bolts, but I refuse to go anywhere without my crossbow.” Jaxler then peered out of his green glass window. How foalish was Partisan to have Kat watch his window. Jaxler was a much better fighter and markspony then her, and could easily take Kat down if he got violent.

“I can promise you, that you will be escorted to the cell unharmed and untouched, but you know I can’t allow you to hold onto your crossbow.” Partisan countered. “It is now considered evidence. I am sorry. I can promise you, on my life, that I will make sure, it is safely put away where no pony will get to it. And, when you come out, I will return it to you.” He was hoping to reason with him. Now that Jury was here, rules had to be enforced, by law of the King, or Virtue could lose her Job, her title, and her life. “Please, Jaxler, don’t make this harder than it already is.”

Jaxler’s trust in Partisan had died after he demoted him. The pony put a knife in his back and Jaxler would never trust him with his crossbow. Jaxler put his crossbow in his stone coffer, locked it and then walked over to his door. He still had his brass horseshoes on, and was ready to smash somepony’s head in, if they attacked him. There were two daggers within Jaxler’s reach, one under his doormat and another sitting on top his door frame. Jaxler didn’t plan on using them, but if he had to, he wouldn’t hesitate. “Okay, I’m coming out.” Jaxler slowly opened his door.

“Wait.” Partisan quickly said, as he motioned for the two other ponies to move away from the door. As Jaxler left his room, Partisan noticed a gleam on his horseshoes.
“You are going to hav-” Partisan was interrupted by a loud  and sharp voice.
“I DON’T GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT MY CROSSBOW!”

When Partisan was still talking, the door to Sarissa’s room burst open, startling Indigo. The copper mare came out of her room, her sleepy face contorted into a grimace. “What the hay is with all of the yelling out here?!” As she had just been napping, she wasn’t wearing her armor. However, she did have her trademark axe within her telekinetic grasp. Sarissa took notice of the door that everypony was standing in front of, “It’s Jaxler, isn’t it? Is he being uncooperative with something? I’ll get him to straighten up...”

Indigo took one look at Sarissa and got out of her way. “We want him alive and unharmed, if possible,” he said.
“That means none of the crap you tried to pull with that darkbolt a while back, Sarissa,” added Falcata, glaring at the copper-coated unicorn.
“If you want to join, Partisan has the command, so okay it with him.” added Indigo.

“Did you have to bring THAT up again? It’s not like I’d do that to one of our fellow Dawnpickers.” Sarissa groaned at Falcata’s remark, “I don’t even know what he did; can somepony enlighten me?”

"He socked Jury right in the face," replied Falcata with the ghost of a smile. It was illegal, sure, but she could think of nopony more deserving than the odious judge. The things she'd said about Friesden...

“SHOES JA-” Partisan stopped himself from going any further. “Jaxler, I was talking about your brass hooves. I said to come out with no weapons.” It was becoming more and more difficult for him to keep calm, and that fact was starting to show on his face.

“Oh, those, you mean my fashion accessories?  I’d never go anywhere without my horseshoes. Ponies might start to think that I’m distasteful.” Jaxler’s voice had a tone that would make Rarity proud.  Jaxler wasn’t going to dare to trust anypony not to attack him. As far as he was concerned, Jury might have already condemned him to death. “And I’m not going anywhere without my crossbow!”
Partisan took a deep breath in and let it out very slowly.
“Jaxler. I still can’t let you take it with you.” It was obvious that he was referring to both the crossbow and the brass ‘accessories’ on his hooves.
“And if you are not willing to cooperate with us, we will search your room. I don’t have much choice in that matter. Trust me, it is for your benefit.”

Jaxler’s face hardened. “And the buck do you plan on doing with my crossbow once it’s at the barracks? I plan on confessing to hitting that annoying jackass, Jury, and when I go to jail I know that you won’t let me keep my crossbow. I would rather die than go three months without MY crossbow, do I make myself clear?” Jaxler was clearly pissed. If Partisan said ‘no’ he’d be getting a dent in his head.

“I plan on putting it away in a chest, in Virtues office.” He gave a stern scowl. This was not heading in the direction he wanted.
“And I can’t choose when you get your crossbow back.” Partisan reached out with a hoof, hoping that he could reason with Jaxler without any more issues.

“So, what you’re saying is that I may never get my crossbow back?”  Jaxler sighed. “Then I’m sure that I’d rather die than trust you with my crossbow.” Jaxler then flung his brass clad hoof toward Partisan, hoping that he could down the crossbow-thieving bastard.

Partisan was struck hard, even though he did his best to roll with the incoming punch.  "BUCK!" he screamed as the ground rushed toward his face, as the darkness enveloped his sight.  His sight returned to him, though filled with fuzz and red, for a short time and he tried to stand. Then everything went black once more as he landed with a thud.

Sarissa’s eyes widened with shock as she beheld Jaxler’s impulsive move. Surely he can’t be that foolish; attacking Partisan a second time? Her jaws clamped shut, teeth bared in a sudden burst of outrage. “You...you trash!” Tightening her mental grip on Elegy, the brown unicorn decided that she was going to show him what blunt force trauma really meant. Orienting her ax such that it was being held sideways, she made a forceful swing with the intention of smacking Jaxler on the side of the head with its flat side.

Seeing an axe arcing through the air and misinterpreting Sarissa’s intentions, Falcata reacted instantaneously, catapulting herself towards the copper-coated mare as she swung towards Jaxler. Her intervention was only partially successful; the impact carried Sarissa past her target, although the unicorn still managed to land a solid blow to Jaxler’s wing.

“GUARDS, JAXLER HAS GONE MAD!” yelled Indigo, standing behind his shield, Falcata and Sarissa. He tried to grab Jaxler with telekinesis to slow him down enough for the other soldiers to take him down. Why are they fighting each other instead of Jaxler? Have they gone mad?   

“THE HAY IS YOUR PROBLEM?!” Sarissa snapped at Falcata. In an instant, this reminded her of the time when Glaive had stopped her from attacking the Darkbolt. “We’re supposed to be working together! Not sabotaging each other!”

“MY problem? You’re trying to kill him, you psychopath!” barked Falcata, trying to pin the heavier mare down. “I’m not letting you murder somepony!”

Jaxler knew he’d probably get tackled, or punched or wrestled in one way or another, but this? Jaxler knew Sarissa was a short fused mare, but swinging an axe and trying to kill him? Jaxler appeared to be defenseless, and to make things worse he couldn’t dodge either, as he was both standing in the middle of his doorway and hindered by Indigo’s spell. The pony had one option, so he raised his wing and stopped the axe’s blow. The stallion heard a loud crack and had a horrible pain go up and down his spine. “SCREW YOU, I’M NOT GOING TO DIE HERE LIKE AN ANIMAL, GETTING SLAUGHTERED BY SOME... FAT MONSTER!” The little pony was having a hard time moving his wing but still managed to grab a large iron dagger with his mouth out from under his wing. Jaxler was enraged by all the enemies.

Looking up at the white pegasus on top of her, Sarissa’s expression turned to one of malice, “PSYCHOPATH?! Get off of me! I am NOT trying to kill him! I only want to knock the freak’s lights out!”

“You were swinging your axe at his head! I’m not blind, Sarissa! I know you have a skull collection!” yelled Falcata, struggling to stop the larger pony from throwing her off. Glancing back towards the rest of the commotion, she noticed Jaxler holding a knife of some sort in his mouth, and her grip slackened in shock, the pegasus beginning to realise her mistake. Disabling herself and another capable soldier while a now-armed and very, very angry criminal was standing barely a few yards away, in hindsight, hadn’t been the smartest of moves.

Granite awoke to the sounds of shouting and got out of bed to investigate. He opened his door and witnessed a golden unicorn bringing her axe down on Jaxler. For just a moment, he stood frozen in shock as to what was happening, but quickly shook off his fear and started to run towards Jaxler as Sarissa was tackled by Falcata.

Indigo noticed Granite, but assumed he was there to help subdue Jaxler. Things were going bad quickly. What happened to going to prison peacefully? He continued to slow Jaxler down with telekinesis, as other ponies were in his way and Jaxler was too far for an axe swing. “GUARDS!” yelled Indigo again.

Kat, hearing Indigo’s yell, decided that it was probably her time to help out. She flied lower, so she could see through Jaxler’s window. She then slowed down her breathing and aimed down the sight of her crossbow. “I always knew it’d come to this Jaxler. Me shooting you in the back...” she whispered quietly to no one in particular.

“Don’t jump to judgments on me, Fal!” Finally managing to roll out from under Falcata, the frustrated unicorn set her sights on reclaiming Elegy, which had been thrown several feet away by the bum rush. She just took notice of the knife that Jaxler had pulled as she regained her own weapon. The mare pointed the axe in his direction, “Drop it Jaxler! Don’t let this get any messier than it has to!” Sarissa was becoming increasingly angry at this whole situation.

Falcata sprang to her own hooves, maneuvering her own axe into her mouth in one fluid motion and trying to circle around the furious Jaxler. “Put ‘e knife ‘way!” she cried, her voice muffled by the weapon in her jaws. “‘arissa, I’b warning ‘ou, don’ kill hib!”

Keeping a close eye on the black pegasus, Sarissa hears Falcata’s last statement as a vein begins bulging in her forehead, “I’M NOT GOING TO BUCKING KILL HIM ALREADY!” She honestly had no intentions of ending his life. As Falcata continued to spur her anger on, however, she was increasingly tempted to turn him into a broken heap upon a blood-soaked hospital bed; Jaxler really did need his flank handed to him for not learning his lesson the first time he hit Partisan.

Granite ran up next to Jaxler and looked behind him, just in time to notice Kat taking aim in front of an open window. “Jaxler, what the hell is going on?!” Granite said, still looking over at Kat.

Kat, having Jaxler in her aim, pushed her crossbow’s trigger mechanism, sending out her metal bolt flying towards Jaxler’s backside. After all, things seemed to be devolving fast. Without thinking, Granite threw himself into the path of the flying bolt and felt a sharp pain in his abdomen. He screamed in agony and collapsed. “Stupid colt..” Kat groaned at the sight of Granite taking the bolt for Jaxler instead. She began to pull the strings back so that she could reload her crossbow.

“Get out of there, you idiot! We’re trying to arrest a criminal!” yelled Indigo at Granite, as he continued to slow Jaxler down.

“The bucking…” Jaxler couldn’t comprehend what he was seeing. Granite got shot, Granite got shot in Jaxler’s place. His mind went on like a skipping record for a few moments until his mind finally stopped all rational thought. Jaxler had a look in his eyes, it was somewhere between that of a cornered snake and a Rottweiler that just saw its puppy get killed. The enraged stallion didn’t even think twice as threw his knife at Kat. He would have stabbed the mare himself if Indigo wasn’t being so damn annoying with his magic. “I’ll kill you Kat... I’LL BUCKING KILL YOU!”

Granite had been hit and now there was knife sailing off in an arc towards Kat. Sarissa realized that there was too much chaos going on for an effective arrest; Jaxler needed to be brought under control NOW. Falcata was already airborne, hurling herself towards the pegasus stallion like a living ballista bolt. It seemed that Indigo was having trouble holding him down by himself, so Sarissa would add the strength of her own magic to his. She drops Elegy and latches onto Jaxler’s front hooves with the glowing green aura of her telekinesis. “Now! While we’ve got him! Somepony put this dope down!” Even as Sarissa was speaking, Falcata slammed into Jaxler’s left side, knocking both herself and the other pegasus to the floor just as she had done with Sarissa.

Kat suddenly regretted not getting on her guard’s armor; her dress did little to stop the knife, as it sailed towards her, hit her in her upper body and buried itself into her soft sweet flesh. The impact made her jerk backwards and almost drop to the ground below from pain, but she managed to land on her hooves, before slumping onto her side on the ground, gasping and whimpering slightly at her bleeding wound. She was hurt before, sure, but that was from a hammer and she had her armor on. Having a knife lodged inside her was a completely different experience.

Still holding Jaxler as best as he could, as well as his shield and an Axe, Indigo moved closer, now that there was more room beside Sarissa. A hit to the head with the blunt side of an axe could still knock Jaxler out, though this would be easier if we just wanted to kill him. Indigo quickly dismissed the evil thought and spared a glance to the stunned Partisan. Sarissa was stronger than Indigo and her magic was a great help. Holding Jaxler in place worked even with Indigo and Oil Macepony during their training, but this fight was different. Jaxler seemed to have lost it and it made him stronger.

Jaxler was caught off guard to have Falcata’s slam and was stunned. Jaxler was brought down to the ground and couldn’t even begin to move with the amounts of magic on him. “LET ME THE BUCK GO, SO I CAN KILL THAT MONSTER!”

Not bothering to waste time talking, instead maneouvering herself into position atop the immobilised pegasus, Falcata struck Jaxler in the back of his head with the pommel of her axe, knocking him out in one blow. She rolled off the downed stallion, clambering to her hooves and quickly bolting through the open window to help the stricken, bleeding form of Kat on the ground below.

“Sarissa, can you get him to prison alone?” We have some wounded here.” Says Indigo as he tries to help Partisan, still keeping his shield and axe with him, and Jaxler in his field of vision.

Being relieved of the burden of having to hold the enraged pegasus down, Sarissa relaxed and responded to Indigo’s request, “You bet I will...” She lifted the limp form of Jaxler from the ground with her magic and laid him across her back. The unicorn almost wanted to break some of his bones in private, once she was out of sight of everypony else, but she fought the urge to delve deeper into that fantasy. It was jail time for him, although she’d likely be trying to think of ways to make his sentence and suffering worse in the meantime. She trotted off towards Virtue’s office, ready to explain the situation and ask for the keys to the cell.

"Kat?" asked Falcata in a deeply concerned tone, having dropped her axe to the ground, bent over the prone guardspony. "Kat?" There's blood all over the ground... Kat looked up at Falcata for a moment, “I.. didn’t mean to.. shoot Granite..” she said weakly before her eyes rolled up and she slumped back onto the ground, losing consciousness.
Extremely worried, Falcata carefully lifted the unconscious mare onto her back, careful not to jostle her too much, and began staggering slowly towards the hospital under the weight of both her passenger and her full armour. Despite their slow pace, Falcata was hopeful they would make it before Kat lost too much blood. Bastard, she thought as she struggled onwards. The poor markspony had just been doing her job; she hadn't deserved a knife in the ribs. Falcata winced mentally, remembering the time she herself had been injured in a similar manner, although thankfully it looked like Kat had been much more fortunate.

Meanwhile Indigo made sure, that Partisan was alright and woke him up. Partisan opened his eyes and looked at the unicorn with pained expression. "Buck. Head hurts. Where is Jaxler?"
"Knocked out and being taken to prison by Sarissa," Indigo quickly replied, "If you don't need further help, I should help Granite now."

Partisan cast a quick glance at the young colt. He was lying in Jaxler's room with a bolt in his back and a puddle of blood under him. Not good. Not good at all. "Indigo! Get clean cloth! Quick! We need to stop the bleeding." His commands come out rushed, because he was trying to think past the throbbing pain and about many things at once. That was Kat's bolt. "Kat? Where the hay are you, Kat?" Hearing no answer, Partisan ran over to Jaxler's window, looked outside and saw  Falcata carrying Kat to the hospital and Sarissa carrying unconscious Jaxler to the keep. What have I done?

Indigo quickly took his axe and shield to his room, grabbed a piece of clean cloth and closed his door from outside. He run over to Granite, pushed the cloth against his wound and asked "Partisan, what now?" At least the stupid colt is still breathing.
The question broke the pegasus out of his shock. "Let's take him to the hospital," he answered, with a dejected look on his face.
Indigo nodded in acknowledgement and the pair carefully lifted Granite, without disturbing the bolt still lodged firmly in the wound, and took him to Panacea, who was already working on Kat. Afterwards Indigo and Falcata told Partisan what happened, while they were walking to check up on Sarissa and Jaxler in the Keep

Sarissa approached Fuscina, who was standing guard at the countess’ door, “See this drunk on my back? I need to keys to the prison. He’s been....naughty. Is Virtue in?”

Fuscina raised an eyebrow as she saw the unconscious pegasus draped across Sarissa’s back.  “What did...”  She shaked her head.  “Nevermind.  Yes, she’s in.”  She stepped back, opened the door to the keep and gave Sarissa enough room to enter.

“Thank you,” she responded to Fuscina. Peaking inside, she requested Virtue’s attention, “My Lady? I need to put Jaxler in the prison. Perhaps it would be best if I explained later; I’d prefer if I went ahead and got him in there before he comes back to the waking world.”

Virtue’s eyes went wide as she stood from her desk.  She opened her mouth to speak, and it took considerable effort for her to accept Sarissa’s request without question.  “Yes... alright,” she said as she retrieved the keys.  She transferred them to Sarissa with a gravely concerned expression.  “Here.”

She accepts the keys telekinetically, “Thank you. The situation is rather messy and we’ve got some ponies who have been harmed. I’ll fill you in when I get back.” After having acquired the keys and searched the pony for any further weapons, Sarissa dumped him in the worst-kept cell she could find. “Sleep well...” she hissed sarcastically after spitting on him.

After she had returned, Sarissa began to recite the situation, “Let me see how I can put this in a nutshell... Jaxler hit Jury, then hit Partisan, I broke Jaxler’s wing, then he struck Kat with a knife, Granite got struck with a bolt, Falcata knocked Jaxler unconscious, and, well, here we are. Kat and Granite are probably going to the hospital...”

Virtue sat heavily, trying and not doing a good job of taking it all in.  She gave Sarissa a pleading expression and said, “So... Jury, Partisan, Kat and Granite are all injured?  Because of Jaxler?”  She blinked and shakes her head slowly.  “Why?” she asked in a weak voice.

“To be honest, I don’t know,” Sarissa shook her head, “I don’t even know much of this ‘Jury’ yet. I guess she must have made him angry or something.”

She didn’t doubt for a moment that Jury had done something to anger him, but there was absolutely nothing she could think of that would justify him hurting anypony, much less four separate ponies.  “I... I just...” she said, shaking her head in disbelief.  She felt like she had to do something, but she didn’t know what.  Bothering Panacea and Chestnut just to see how the wounded were doing would be counterproductive to their work, but she didn’t know what to do.  “What is everypony else doing?  Is there anything else happening?”

“I imagine they are tending to the wounded. Perhaps we should go tell Panacea and Chestnut to get ready for them, unless Kat and Granite are already there. If anything, maybe I can lend some assistance with my Vitalsight in order to assess the degree of internal damage they’ve suffered,” Sarissa answered as she looked in the direction she imagined the hospital was in, “Yeah, I think I’ll head there now.”

Virtue felt completely helpless, but that was something to do at least.  Something to keep her mind occupied.  “Yes... alright, I’m coming with you.”  There wasn’t much she could do, but just sitting there in her office while all this happened would drive her mad.  She started toward the door and left with Sarissa, hoping beyond her better judgment, that what she found there wouldn’t be as bad as she feared.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:12:35 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: May 14, 2012, 03:48:44 pm »

Jaxler woke up and he had an annoying pain in his head and his wing. He got up and looked around. The room was pitch black and cold. The stallion paused for a moment and tried to recollect what happened before he blacked out. Then Jaxler realized the events that had transpired before he got there. “Why did I...” As far as he knew Granite and Kat could have died because of him. Jaxler couldn’t see a thing, and he honestly didn’t know whether or not he had died and gone to hell, and honestly believed he deserved it. He sat down on the cold floor and tried to calm down. “Damn, I need a drink...” Suddenly the room illuminated. Jaxler was sitting in a jail cell, A small jail cell... without his crossbow and to make matters worse he heard a ponies walking down to the room. “Why couldn’t i have just died.”

"Why indeed?" came a supercilious voice from the dungeon entrance, the first of two figures to descend below. Jury stepped forwards into the light, a predatory smirk on her face and her eyes bright with anticipation. "That certainly would have been an acceptable alternative, although I think that the delight I will take in sentencing you might just be worth you continuing to exist."

Partisan was only just behind Jury. There was still a throbbing pain sitting at the lower left side of his face, were a large bruise was forming. There was also a noticeable look of depression on his face. He started to raise a hoof to stop Jury from humiliating Jaxler, like he knew she was going to, but he could not muster the energy to, and just sat there, silently taking in all that was going on.

Of all the things Jaxler hated, Jury came in a close second to being stuck in small spaces. “For the love of god Jury, can you please just get on with it and spare me the pleasantries?” Jaxler really  needed some booze and his crossbow. “And if you’d be kind enough I’d like to have my crossbow back, before I go insane.” Jaxler then got up and walked over to the back corner of the cell, His ears laying flat on his head.

"Crossbow? We did not recover any crossbows from the crime scene, Jaxler. When I had Chic crack that chest of yours open with her pickaxe, I am afraid the contents may have been a little...affected, by our method of access. We still have a mangled piece of wood which you can keep as a memento once you are released, though, so there is that to be thankful for. Unless I had it thrown on the stove so Skillet could cook dinner, but I am afraid I cannot remember if that was the case or not." Jury was lying, of course, but the silkiness of her voice betrayed how much pleasure she was taking in tormenting the imprisoned pegasus.

Pickaxe? I thought I had assigned Mortar to do the job of breaking open the chest. Partisan kept his face straight as he finally realized, what she meant by fun the night before.

Jaxler was extremely stressed and depressed right now. Normally he would have yelled at Jury for telling such an obvious lie, but instead he talked in more of a tired tone. “I really don’t like it when ponies lie to me. It takes a lot of crap to even harm my crossbow. A pickaxe strike from some second rate miner couldn’t even dream of harming my weapon. So please can you just shut up and get to the point? I know that you haven’t cracked my chest yet, and that you’re probably going to try to make this entertaining for yourself.” Jaxler was stressed like hell right now. What would happen if somepony found the alicorn horn in his chest? Well, at least he knew, that they haven’t found it yet; she would have brought that up, if she had seen the contents of his coffer.

"Oh, Jaxler, you are being so uncooperative. Very well then, since you ask so nicely, your crossbow is unfortunately still intact, although you have absolutely no chance of getting your violent little hooves on it for the foreseeable future," chirped Jury with malicious glee, as if telling a funny story. "Oh, and before I forget, we found something else interesting in that stone chest of yours, too. Would you like to talk about it, my little pony?" Jury adopted a mockingly friendly tone, like that of a teacher, getting happier by the minute.

“Jury.” Partisan’s speech came out weak and feeble due to the pain, but he made his eyes as firm as possible as he demanded her attention.
“Lets leave that for later. You know, just as well as I do, that it has nothing to do with the case. Lets just get this over with.” His eyes softened again with his last sentence as he looked into hers. He felt bad enough already. He didn’t need Jaxler to say something stupid that forces him to reveal his past.

Jaxler sighed, he really hated jury. “It’s okay Partisan. The mysterious item in my chest is a ethnic relic from my grandfather’s service in alicorn pegasus wars. I’m of Topoireneisian descent, and for you to confiscate that is culturally insensitive and for similar reasons it’s culturally intensity to take my crossbow.” There was a lot of stress in Jaxler’s voice. He really didn’t want to be begging for his beloved weapon. Especially if the person he was begging to was a bloodthirsty demon.

"Culturally insensitive? I am sorry to disappoint you, Jaxler, but I deal in law, not pandering to the 'cultural needs' of violent thugs such as yourself." retorted Jury with a vicious smile. "Your personal effects will be returned if, and only if, I deem it appropriate. Would you like to hazard a guess at whether or not I do?" Before Jaxler could even begin to answer, she plowed on. "But Partisan is correct, as he so often is; we have business to get down to!" Jury trilled the last sentence with pure, undisguised joy, taking a piece of parchment out of her saddlebag, making a huge show of consulting it.
"Now," she stated, glancing at Jaxler with barely concealed loathing, "you have been quite the busy little colt since I wrote up this-" she waved the paper about in the air "- little document, but you can rest assured we will be addressing the matter of you resisting arrest, putting Kat in hospital, etcetera, at a later date. Tell me, Jaxler, how long would you like to stay in that comfortable little cell of yours? How long do you think is fair? Partisan?" she asked, opening the question to both of them.

Partisan looked at Jaxler as pain and anger struggled within him. “I. . . .” an internal conflict ensues, as he tries to come up with a fair yet lenient punishment for him.
It’s Jaxlers fault that Kat is in the hospital, and he attacked my marefriend. There is no way I can let him off for that. But then again, it is my fault that things got out of hand as they did... If only I.. But his body reacted faster than his mind.
“ Too much sun and it burns. This time I can’t defend him. We have to give him the appropriate amount that the law prescribes. Two months.” Only as these words leave his mouth does he notice what he said. Too late to take it back. I hope he grows through this.
The filling of betrayal consumes him as he step back into the background.

“Jury, I’d like to confess.” Jaxler then sighs. He still was concerned about his crossbow. “You know you can gut my crossbow, right? You can just remove the string and the firing mechanism and it’s basically a lump of decorated wood.” Jaxler wasn’t lying when he said he’d rather die than lose his crossbow.

"My favourite word is 'maximum'!" exclaimed Jury unexpectedly. "As in 'maximum sentence'! How about three months? And that is just to start, too! It will be even more fun adding on the time for all the various crimes you committed last night, as well! And confess if you wish; I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever." Jury grinned from ear to ear, absolutely loving it. She ignored Jaxler's crossbow-related protestations, hoping he would get even more worked up about it. "Oh, and I am sorry to say you might need to cut down on the drinking, too. It really is for the best."

Jaxler closed his eyes. As far as he was concerned the walls somehow appeared to closing in. “Jury… In case you didn’t hear me, I’d like to restate myself. You know you can gut my crossbow right? You can just remove the string and the firing mechanism and it’s basically a lump of decorated wood” the amount of stress in Jaxler’s voice obvious. “Also, If I don’t get any booze the withdrawal will kill me. I drink 3 barrels of moonshine a night. I will literally die if I don’t get any booze.”

"Oh, Jaxler, why so serious? I am sure you will be just fine with some lovely, cool water for a few months or years!" Jury's eyes gleamed with vindicative delight as she spoke to the obviously distressed prisoner, the unicorn in her element.

“jury… I can ask you this question over and over. You know you can gut my crossbow right? You can just remove the string and the firing mechanism and it’s basically a lump of decorated wood. Now answer me you insidious, self-righteous, sadistic, vagabond.” Jaxler was more stressed now then he had been in years. Getting mutilated by a cave ogre seemed less horrible then going months without his crossbow or booze. “And for please for the love of all things good, please drop the tone; you’re enjoying this a little bit too much and I’m starting to wonder whether or not you're insane.” ((Jaxler really isn’t pissed off, he’s more or less just talking with a calm (albeit stressed) voice))

Partisan took that as his cue to try and redeem, himself just a bit. He lifted up his hoof and gently tapped Jury.
“Keep it professional.” he whispered in her ear. “This is business. if you want pleasure, we can have dinner tonight. In your office, though. Mine still needs to be cleaned up.”
Taking his own advice, he sucked in all his emotions thus far. Even though it felt like acid lapping at his chest, he spoke out loud.
“Jaxler, you do understand the charges against you, right?”

“Yes I do Partisan. Also don’t interrupt please; I’d like to have her answer my question”

Jury allowed her smile to fade, adopting an icy manner instead. "Fine. We shall go about things professionally. Jaxler Blackflutes, you will not be getting your crossbow, 'gutted' or otherwise, nor will I authorise you to be supplied with alcohol of any type or form. You will remain imprisoned for three months plus any other jail time your most recent crimes merit, under constant guard." Jury finished her recital with her usual disdainful expression, turning to look at Partisan with a less severe gaze. "Shall we leave now, or did I miss anything?"

Jaxler had fear written over his face. The pony couldn’t let somepony take his crossbow, not like this. This was too much. “Partisan, for the love of god man, you can’t let her do this to me.” Jaxler was scared. He honestly couldn’t handle stress, fear, or depression without that hunk of wood. The poor little pony had that weapon for years; it had saved his life numerous times. It was all Jaxler had left and now somepony was going to steal it from him. Just like that. It would be gone forever. “y-you can’t let her do this” Jaxler gave Partisan a look of complete desperation. “P-please man” somehow over the last two days Jaxler had landed himself in hell.

He felt out his edge. This was the first time he had ever heard Jaxler beg. He swallowed hard as he felt his heart break. He couldn’t face the pleading stallion anymore. Instead he turned to Jury and, this time without looking in her eyes, nodded.

"Excellent," said Jury as if commenting on the weather, gesturing for Partisan to leave ahead of her. "Shall we?"

“Damn you to hell, Partisan.”

Partisan did his best not to crack as he opened the door, letting Jury through. As he looked up, noticed a smile on her face. Somehow it reminded him of something Jury said to him when they first met. "I hope that you have the fortitude necessary to do what is just and proper, if it should ever come down to your emotions and enforcing the law." I am sorry, Jaxler, but I know where my loyalties lie.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:15:57 pm by jaxler »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: May 14, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »

and

Friesden made her way to the hospital, fear flooding through her. Her mother had been hurt, just as Friesden had come up with a little plan to make her dad and her aunt happy. It was lucky she had gone to ask her for permission, or she might not have known for some time.

She entered the hospital, and looking around, spotted her mother lying on a bed, and rushed over to her. “Mum? Mum, are you okay?”

Kat lays there, smiling weakly as she sees her dear Friesdizzy coming over to visit her. “I’m fine, dear.. I’m fine..” She coo’d, not wanting her to be worried.

“You...What happened?” Friesden asks, aghast that such a gentle soul as her mother should be hurt so.

Kat’s smile didn’t leave her face as Friesden asked her.. She didn’t want to answer that.. not at all. “I was.. just doing my duty, Friesden.. Don’t worry about it.”

“Okay...” says Friesden, slightly mollified. “Um...I...I came to ask you something.”

Kat nods with a smile “Yes? What is it that you want to ask?”

“Um...I...I met your sister, Kit...um...And...I...What’s her favourite food and drink?” asks Friesden, telling herself that she wasn’t just evading the question, that she needed to know this stuff to arrange the date.

“hmm, Well I remember that she loves to eat carrot foods, anything Carrot and she loves it. And her drinks? It’s probably still Blood Orange juice. She loved those things.” Kat answered with a happy sigh.

“Oh. Okay. Um. The...The question I was going to...um, she doesn’t have a coltfriend or anything, does she?” Friesden asks, hoping beyond hope that she hadn’t flubbed things up this far in.

Kat ponders for a quick moment. “hmm.. well, She’s been friendly with Jaxler.. and she seems to like spending time and visiting Flux.. But no, I don’t think she found herself a coltfriend yet here. Why?”

“Well. Um...I...You know my dad? He...He doesn’t have a fillyfriend...And he isn’t married anymore...so...I was...I was going to try and get them dating,” Friesden says, tiptoeing through her words. “That...That’s okay, isn’t it?”

Kat giggles at the idea with a happy smile. “Well I’ve seen him. And I say he’s not a bad Stallion, so, Go for it Friesdizzy. I’m sure Kit will like him.”

“Thanks, mum!” Friesden says, her hopes rekindled. They would be happy together. And it would be good!

“You’re welcome dear..” Kat replied with the same happy smile. She doesn’t feel too bad for somepony who have recently got a knife in her ribs. seeing how things seems to be getting better.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: May 14, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »

, , and

Friesden had an idea, and with Kat’s approval, she was going to do it. First things first - get her dad. She made her way to where her father was, trying to hide the big smile on her face. This was going to be so good!

Friesden finds her father resting in his room, drinking a cup of tea, with just a bit of lime, just the way he liked it, and watching his grandfoals playing. The old stallion sees his daughter arrive. “Hello Friesden, would you like a cup of tea?” He begins to pour her one without waiting for an answer.

“Hello dad,” she said happily. “I’ve got something planned for you I think you’ll like. I arranged a blind date for you!”

Currently wrestling with Balisong, the two rolling over and over in a show of sibling rivalry, Falchion pricks his ears up at hearing a certain voice. Abruptly, he extricates himself from his sister's grip, pushing her away with his magic.

"Friesden! Friesden!" cries Falchion happily, scurrying across to see his favouritest bestest friend ever aside from his twin sister. "Friesden!"

Fauchard nearly chokes on his drink when Friesden says the words “blind date.”  After a moment, he regains his composure and responds, “Now, why would you do something like that Friesden? Even if I was interested...Who would be interested in an old widower like me?”

Friesden gives the alicorn colt a hug as he scurries over to see her. “Hello Falchion! How are you today?” She turns to her father, and says to him “Which mare in the fort wouldn’t be interested in the best dad ever?” with a little mock indignation in her voice. “I’m sure you’ll like her, too!”

"I'm the best ever and I hope you're the best ever too because it's good to be happy and I'll see you later!" burbles Falchion, his grip on Friesden being broken by Balisong indignantly pulling him back to their game. "Goodbye Friesden!" he cries, sliding backwards across the floor in a rictus of his sister's magic.

“Bye Falchion,” Friesden says with a smile, enjoying the colt’s reaction to her.

Fauchard sighs, “There is no getting out of this, is there? Alright, I’ll go, but I don’t expect anything to come of it.”

“I think something will, dad!” Friesden says, refusing to be put off. “I’ll just go and make everything ready!” With a happy bounce in her step, she heads off down the hall, on her way to Kit’s house.

Knocking at the door, Friesden waits for Kit to answer. She was going to be so excited, Friesden knew it. “Aunty Kit? Are you home?” she calls out.

Not long after, Kit answered. opening the door and greets Friesden with a cheerful smile. “Friesden!” She chirped at the sight of her niece. She seems like she’s off-duty at the moment and doesn’t seems to be too busy neither. Being in her dress and all. “What’s the occasion today for a visit?”

“Well...I...I sort of arranged a blind date for you!” Friesden says with a smile.

Kit nearly drop her jaw after her brain works in what Friesden just said. “you.. um.. what?” she asked again just to make sure she’s not mishearing anything.

“I arranged a blind date for you!” Friesden repeats. “Don’t worry! It’s going to be the BEST!” she continues with a smile.

Kit was confused. She have no idea why her niece would even do that. “um.. you did? w-with who?”

“Silly, that’s why it’s called a blind date! Come on, you’ll have lots and lots of fun!” Friesden says, still with that smile on her face.

Kit was blushing, but if her niece thought it was a good idea then, what could possibly go wrong? “o-okay.. If you say so Friesden.”

“Yay! Thank you aunt Kit!” says Friesden. “So if you meet in the dining hall in an hour, I’ll have your date there and everything ready, okay?”

“an hour? well, um.. okay. I’ll be there.” Kit answered with a little shy smile.

Friesden bounces off home to tell Fauchard. This was all going better than expected!

When Friesden returns to her father’s room she finds him already busy getting ready. When she walks in she sees him combing his beard, looking around she can see that his finest clothes are laying out on the bed. When Fauchard sees his daughter return he asks, “So, where will I meet this mystery mare, dear?”

“In the dining hall, in about an hour,” Friesden says with a smile, though a hint of trepidation in her mind. Maybe I should have thought of some place else...Someplace more romantic...I guess it’ll have to do. Oh, I do so hope this goes well!

Fauchard noticing the trepidation in his daughter’s voice adds, “The dining hall? Well it shouldn’t be too crowded at this time of the day, yes, that sounds like a fine place to meet.” He pauses for a moment as he sets down the comb and begins to rebraid his now untangled beard. “So can you tell me anything about her, or would that ruin the surprise? Is it somepony I know?”

“I don’t think you know her. But I like her and I think you will too. She’s a nice pony. She’s a pegasus. Um...I think that doesn’t ruin the surprise. You’ll like her,” Friesden repeats. “And she’ll like you, too.”

Fauchard finished straightening his beard, and moves onto his mane, while nodding along as Friesden talks. When she says it’s a pegasus mare, he tries to think of who it could be, his mind stops on one candidate in particular, the one Friesden calls her mother, Kat. He hoped that wasn’t the case however. “Well, we will see how it goes.”

Friesden waited in the dining hall, a slight hint of trepidation in her again. This would all work out, she reminded herself. Then both ponies will be happy!

Fauchard was sitting down at the closest thing to a private table they could find in the dinning hall. He was, much to his own surprise, a bit nervous. He hadn’t been on a date with anypony in...what was it...40 years, he wasn’t even sure. He suppressed a chuckle, at the thought that he had faced down death countless time with less anxiousness than he felt now.

“So...I’ll just go up and get her,” Friesden said, forcing bravado into her voice. This had to work out. This would work out.

“I guess I’ll wait here?” said Fauchard.

“I won’t be a tick, dad. And you’ll love her!” Friesden said, falling back on her certainty as she left to get Kit.

Kit finally let herself be taken into the dining room with Friesden, Wearing the most beautiful dress she could find in her own Cabinet, she’s still blushing quite heavily at the idea of all this. And to see who her secret date was, made her blushes even more. The mare looked even smaller than Friesden, And the blushing! Ogod the blushing! what a heart-stopper and HNG maker. She even have a white lilly flower in her mane. Now that’s just cheating..

Friesden led Kit to the table that her father was sitting at.

Kit sees sitting at the table before her an older Unicorn gentlecolt, dressed up in his best clothes, his old formal uniform, complete with numerous medals, badges, and other insignia, the exact meanings of which are lost on the mare from the far away land. The brown colored unicorn's slightly greyed beard is long and done up neatly in a braid. He is tall for a unicorn, though naturally still smaller than the average Alicorn. His frame is wide with both muscle and bit of fat. He has a high quality but undecorated axe at his side. While she wouldn't call him elderly and he is still clearly in good shape for his age, he is quite obviously a good deal older than herself.

When Fauchard sees Kit and Friesden approach the table, he momentarily fears that it was indeed Kat Friesden had brought, but once he realizes it isn't Kat but her younger sister, he is relieved.

Remembering his manners, he stands to meet her. He bows his head a tad and says, "Good evening miss. My name is Colonel Fauchard Regshetbeth, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Kit eeped when Fauchard and stood up and bow to her, quickly bowing back at him aswell. The poor mare’s obviously nervous.. “I-, Um.. H-Hello.. I’m.. um, Kit.. I-it’s a pleasure to.. um.. meet you too.” she squeaked out shyly.

Fauchard offers what he hopes is a reassuring smile, at the mare who somehow seemed more nervous then he felt. He pulls out a chair from the table for her and says, “Um...please sit, if you would...uh, care to join me for dinner.”

Kit nodded and carefully sits down onto the chair that was offered for her. Still blushing heavily and nervously. “T-Thankyou..”

Fauchard retakes his own seat across from his date.

Friesden re-enters from stage left, carrying several plates of food and laying them down onto the table, taking another short journey before returning with two jars of drink, one containing Kit’s favourite drink, one containing Fauchard’s favourite. With this, she leaves, about to take her cunningly arranged hiding space just within sight of the table. This would be so good!

“Friesden!” squeals the hiding space in an excited whisper.

Kit nervously shifts about in her seat. Unsure of what to say or when to start eating. She obviously never have been put in a situation like this before.

Fauchard hesitates, he wasn’t really sure where to start, but she seemed even more unsure of this than he did, Perhaps I should try to set her mind at ease? he thought to himself. “I just wanted to let you know miss Kit, that I did not put Friesden up to this, I only found out about this a little over an hour ago.”

Kit perk her ears slightly and twitches it. “um.. r-really? hehe, well. I just.. found out about this as well. Friesden can be quite... an unpredictable mare isn’t she?” Kit said, seemingly to be less tensed and happy to know that he isn’t using Friesden to get to her.

“Falchion?” Friesden asks. “What are you doing here?” she asks with a smile.

“Exploring!” replies the young colt, a bit too quickly.

“Exploring?” Friesden asks, a bit happier to have the company. “Well, we’re watching my dad on his date, so we’ve got to be extra quiet so we don’t disturb him. Okay, Falchi?”

“O-” begins Falchion, before remembering the “extra quiet” bit. He nods instead, smiling and shifting over to make room for Friesden.

Fauchard takes a small sip of the lime wine Friesden had brought for him, it was his favorite as she well knew. “Yes, she was always a hooffull, but her heart is the right place” Fauchard, not sure of how to move the conversation along tries to open with a question, “...So, uh, what brought you to Dawnpick?”

Friesden smiles at Falchion, giving his mane a tussle before looking out through her hiding space to the two ponies talking. They looked happy, and that was good.

Kit smiles and nods in agreement as she sips her blood orange juice aswell. She always loved that drink and is surprised that Friesden knows it. “mm, well.. It’s mostly because of my Sister. I wanted to find her and come stay with her, finding a new life and all that.. you know?” She said with a smile at the mention of Kat.

While Friesden is busy actually watching the two grown-ups eating their dinner, Falchion is only pretending to be interested, slowly edging closer and closer to the striped mare.

Friesden continues watching the two eating with a smile on her face, before feeling another pony touching her. She looks around to see Falchion sitting a little closer than before. “Falchi?” she asks, curiosity in her voice. “What’re you doing?”

“Hmm?” squeaks Falchion nervously, utterly failing his attempt at feigned innocence.

“You’re moving closer to me,” she says with a hint of a smile on her face.

“...no I’m not?” mumbles the colt, his denial coming out more like a question.

“You sure, Falchi?” says Friesden, the smile growing. “Are you embarrassed?”

“...no.” he repeats quietly.

Fauchard nods and smiles, “Aye, I understand that. Family needs to stick together. I came here myself to be closer to my family too.”

Kit smiles more, her blush slowly fading. “Oh? that’s wonderful!” she chirped happily, taking another sip of her juice.

Fauchard takes another sip of his wine, “Aye, and Glaive, uh, he’s my son, if you didn’t know. I haven’t spoken much to ponies outside the family so I don’t really know how well known that is. Anyway, he’s made me quite proud, and Falchion and Balisong have certainly made leaving the capital a worthwhile decision...and meeting Friesden too of course.”

Kit smiles widely at that. “I guess there are ponies who’s leaving your home is more than worth it hmm?” she said before sighing in content. “so, shall we eat?”

Fauchard nods, “Yes, let’s dig in.” says the stallion as he begins to help himself to his blood worm stew.

And with that, Kit begins to eat her food. Smiling quite happily at this surprisingly pleasant date. Not as nervous as before.

“So...what about if I move closer to you, Falchi?” Friesden asks with a smile before shuffling over a bit.

Falchion glances up at the grinning mare beside him, a look of surprise on his face. “Um...”

“Don’t tell me you’re shy, little Falchi,” Friesden gently teases, still smiling. “I know you’re not.”

“I’m not shy!” he declares, bristling slightly. “Well, mostly...”

“Oh, really? Prove it,” Friesden challenged. “Tell me why you’ve been creeping up next to me.”

“....um.” Falchion shrinks a bit.

“Or am I going to have to give you a hug?” she asks, mock threateningly.

Falchion says nothing, but he gets a hopeful look on his face.

Fauchard between bites of food, continues with the conversation, “You are a member of Dawnpick’s guard correct? That is an unusual career choice for a young mare, what made you choose it, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Kit gulps down her food before answering with a smile “well.. When I first got here, Kat was in Hospital, injured from a fight.. So I wanted to do something that could help her. So I became a guard like her! help her work and next time when there’s a fight, I’ll be there to help her aswell!”

Fauchard nods as Kit explains her reason, “You seem quite dedicated to your sister. Coming to this remote outpost, and then when you arrive joining a dangerous career just to try and help keep her safe. That is quite admirable, if only everypony could show such loyalty.” notes Fauchard.

Kit blushes softly and smiles at the compliment, giggling softly. “well.. She’s the bestest sister I could ever asked for. I’d do anything for her.”

Friesden smiles at the cute colt. “Hugs it is, then!” she says with a little giggle, before giving the alicorn a big hug. “Are you going to tell me now, or do I have to give you some more hugs?”

“...more hugs?” he probes, hardly daring to hope.

“Okay, okay. You sure do like hugs, little Falchi,” she says with a smile, before continuing to hug him. After a short while, she pauses, and asks him again. “You going to tell me now?”

“...um. I-” Falchion glances at her earnestly before continuing. “I, um, like you...”

Fauchard smiles and helps himself to more of his dinner. He was surprised at what a nice time he was having. Kit seemed like such a sweet mare, and she was pretty too, not that she would be interested in him, he told himself, which he expected would disappoint Friesden, but it was still nice to have somepony new to talk with. “So, uh, Kit, do you like to read? Dawnpick, unfortunately, doesn’t have a library, but I brought several books with me when I moved, some of them are rather good, if you would like to borrow some of them sometime.”

Kit perk her ears up happily at the mention of readings. “Yep! I love to read! but.. um..” She begins to blushes and squeaks out the next few lines “I.. can’t read or write midpony very well...” she  said shyly, Embarrassed.

Fauchard frowns a bit and then smiles at her again, “Well, that’s nothing to be ashamed of Kit, if you would like, I can probably teach you. You already speak the language well, and well, if I could teach my grandson Falchion to read, I’m sure I can handle somepony who actually wants to learn.”

“You like me, do you?” Friesden says with a hint of amusement in her voice.

“...yes,” says Falchion in a small voice, shuffling his wings awkwardly.

Friesden giggles a bit. “Okay then. I take it that’s why you’ve been wanting to play with me a fair bit, right?”

“...maybe...” he mumbles, smiling a little.

“Well...I might be able to play with you a bit more, then,” Friesden says with another smile.

“Play with me more? Really?” breathes Falchion, elated.

“Yes, really,” Friesden says, still smiling. He was so cute.

“I- what kind of playing?” squeaks Falchion.

“Well, what type of playing do you like best, Falchi?” Friesden asks with another smile.

“I, um...” mumbles the young colt, pawing the ground nervously with his ears flat.

“Well, I guess we might be able to do whatever it is, then,” Friesden says, still smiling.

“Okay!” burbles Falchion, his ears pricking up again.

Kit giggles and smiles slightly at that. ears twitching. “Really? you will teach me how to read midpony? I’d be delighted to learn!” she said excitedly

Fauchard nods happily, “Certainly, and perhaps in exchange you can teach me some of your native tongue? Which reminds me...you never said where you moved here from, and I’m failing to place your accent?”

“Sure! I’d love to teach you my native language.. and, well. I moved across the ocean from the far, far east.. took four months of boat travelling to get here.. Me and Kat came from the town called Bangkolt.” Kit answered happily.

Fauchard thinks to himself, “Aye, I think I know where that is, vaguely, from my maps, never been across the sea myself though of course. But you are a long way from home, Kit, you and your sister both, I suppose.”

Kit smiles “Anywhere my sister is, is my home.” She said.

"I can drink to that." says Fauchard lifting his glass, "To our families, for home is where the heart is, and our hearts lie always with them." after his short toast Fauchard finishes his glass of wine in one last gulp and sets it back upon the table.

And with that, Kit toasts as well and downs her juice. Sighing happily. Everything seems to have ended much better than what she expected at first.   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:07:30 am by Dsarker »
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 239