Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 225260 times)

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #3450 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:07 am »

+Marilee
This scene takes place about a week after Stiletto's return. Its up late because I am a lazy jerk.

Gregor quietly enters the dining hall, his wife and daughter in tow. The two mares seat themselves at a small table away from other ponies, while Gregor heads off to retrieve their food.

Stiletto walk into the dinning hall not too long after Gregor sits down. She looks about the hall as she enters and spots Gregor after a few moments. “What should I be doing now?” she asked the earth pony and Pegasus standing quite close to her,

“Um... smile?  Try to look at ease?”  Flux says, neither smiling nor looking at ease himself.

“well.. You could try not standing straight all the time. That looks pretty intimidating.” Kat suggest.

Stiletto leaned her head down and tried to keep a smile on her face as she spoke “Like this?”

Kat nods happily and smiles “Looks good!”

Flux nods also.  “Definitely better.”

Stiletto points her smiling face in the direction of Gregor’s table “Should we all go at once?” she looked back at the two of them unsure how to proceed.

“Yep yep! Going together sounds like a plan, I’m not in my guard’s uniform too so maybe not as intimidating? And Flux’s not a very intimidating pony too!”

Flux can’t help but chuckle a bit at the concept of him being intimidating.

Stiletto trotted over to Gregor’s table, stopping not too far from it and giving a small wave of her forehoof. “Hello.” she said with a smile

Gregor looks up from his plate to see an enormous maroon alicorn mare standing across from him. “Ah... hello there. ”

“You are mister Gregor yes? My name is Stiletto Landsknecht and I wish to speak with you about incident at the trade depot.” the smile never left her face

’That accent... enormously tall and muscular... a Deutschmeiner, for sure.’ “Ah... a rather bloody tale, that... should we really be discussing that over lunch?”

Stiletto’s smile became very awkward and she looked to Kat for help

Kat, in attempt to support Stiletto, suggest something.”I believe there’s no proper time to discuss this.. kind of things. So Lunch might aswell have to do?”

Flux coughs a bit at the suggestion.  “Maybe... we could talk when he has time, instead of at lunch?”

“Yes, I think that would be best. We can talk later, in private if you don’t mind.”

Stiletto shifted her nervous gaze between each pony. “Where would be a good place to talk?” she asked

“Perhaps... somewhere outside? it’s fairly nice out.”

“All right. Would it be acceptable to speak at the south road?”

“that sounds like a good enough spot, yes.”

Stiletto turns to leave “I will meet you there then.” She walked to another table and spoke to Flux as she went “That seemed to go very well.”

Flux nods and smiles at Stiletto.  “It did!  Did you want me and Kat to come with you to the road later, too?”

“I would appreciate your companionship there. My grasp of Mid pony is still quite shaky.” Stiletto stated.

Kat beams her a smile “well I’d be glad to help!”

Flux nods again.  “Me too!”

Stiletto looked around and tapped her hooves “Should we get something to eat while we wait?”

Sometime latter, Stiletto stood outside at the south road tapping her hoof and looking at the sun. “How long has it been?” she asked Kat and Flux.

“Um... too long.  I don’t think he’s going to show up...”

Kat frowns slightly as she continues to wait. sighing and flopping her ears “He said he’ll be here..”

As they wait, a figure finally comes trotting up the road. not Gregor, but somepony else: the young pegasus mare that had been with him earlier.

It takes Stiletto but a moment to recognize her. The great amethyst Alicorn waves to the pegasus in question “Hello.” she said smiling again and lowering her head

Kat beam the incoming Pegasus a smile aswell. Recognizing her.

“Uhm, hello.” she responds, stopping a few meters away. “I’m... sorry about dad, he didn’t want to come...”

“Why did he not wish to come?”

“well... dad’s always been really suspicious of... of Deutschmeiner.. He said... that the safest thing would be to have as little to do with you as possible.”

“Safest thing? He has nothing to fear from me. I only wanted to talk about what has happened.”

“I know, and that’s why I came out here. It just seemed so rude to leave you waiting out here like that.”

“I thank you for doing that much at least. Is there anything you would recommend that I do to get around this social obstacle?”

“W-Well...” she hesitates for a moment. “I-I was there that day... I.... I guess I could tell you what I saw...”

“If that is too painful to remember, I will understand.”

“No, it’s alright, I-I’ll be alright...”

“Very well then. Please tell me the first thing you remember about the incident.”

She sighs,taking a few moments to calm herself before beginning a vivid account of the events of that day.

Stiletto nods slowly as she listens to the tail. At its end she speaks, her head held very low “I am so sorry it went that way. Did you lose anypony close to you?”

She shakes her head. “No, I didn’t know any of the ponies who... died. Mum was shot when we ran, but she’s doing much better now.”

“Do you know anything about the diplomat? Can you tell me anything at all about them?” Stiletto said, trying to move the questioning somewhere less sensitive.

“No, not really. Dad was the one who talked with him most of the time. I know his name was Shadowglaze, and... dad seemed to think he didn’t actually know where Glitterglen was, and he was misleading us.”

“So this caravan was meant to go to another outpost?”

“Not exactly. They were supposed to visit several outposts along the way. We stopped at two other places before we came to Dawnpick, and there was supposed to be one more before we got where we were going.”

Stiletto tapped her forehooves together while thinking “Can you tell me any detail of how the Rainbow Coalition might react to this situation?”

“Well... as horrible as it may have been, I really don’t think the Coalition Council will want to do anything about it.” She hangs her head. “If they even hear about it at all.”

“Are you going to be alright? I can stop if this is making you uncomfortable.” Stiletto said with a soft tone to her voice.

“What? Oh, no, I’m fine now that... now that we aren’t talking about that day.”

"Can you think of anyone that might seek retribution for the caravan and its goods?”

“Dad seems to think the Shadowglaze Freight Company might send some of their contractors here, to... well to make an example out of Dawnpick. He already sent a letter to my sisters, asking for some of our own. I... couldn’t tell you how many, or what sort of weapons or anything, though.”

“Would they be susceptible to monetary based persuasion?”

“Our people? no, dad asked for only the most loyal employees to be sent here. Some of them, I’ve known since I was a filly. They wouldn’t betray us.”

Stiletto rubs the side of her face “I did in fact mean the ‘contractors’. I would like to know if we could pay them to leave Dawnpick alone.”

“Oh! No, I think they would probably be just as loyal to the Shadowglazes. Contractors aren’t like mercenaries, they generally stay with the same employer for life.”

“Could we perhaps pay the Shadowglazes Freight Company itself?”

“Well... you heard what happened to miss Virtue, right?”

“No, I have not yet.” Stiletto raised an eyebrow ‘She did not mention anything’ the Alicorn thought to herself

“You haven’t? Well, you see, they sent another diplomat recently,, and... something happened, and miss Friesden fought with her, and ended up killing her. There’s a rumor going around that she was sent here to kill miss Virtue. Dad seems to believe it, too.”

Stiletto breathes in deeply and back out heavily “They did what? Why would they do such a thing?” Her massive frame trembled with anger and regret.

“I-It’s like I said. They wanted to... to make an example of her, so nopony else will defy them again.”

She closed her eyes and clenched her teeth “nutzlosen narren.” Stiletto practically spits the words.

“Uhm... sorry?”

“I am sorry, I lost my temper, Lady Virtue is very important to me.”

“It’s alright, I understand. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“I can think of nothing more. Please try to enjoy the rest of your day.”

“You too, miss... Stiletto? I’m glad I could help you, and... I’m sorry about dad.”

Stiletto put her hoof to her forehead “I am sorry, I did not ask your name.”

“Oh! Oh, I’m sorry... my name is Marilee. Marilee Spreadstyled.” She grins, holding a hoof out to Stiletto.

The large Alicorn reached out a hoof to Marilee “It is very good to meet you Marilee. You have been very courteous this day.”

“Nice to meet you! Marilee!” Kat chirped.

“Thank you for coming to meet us here, Marilee.”  Flux gives her a small smiles, despite the grim topic they were discussing.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:02 am »

and

Hmm. These figures must be faulty. Jury ponders, running her eye across the sheet of paper for the third time. She has procured a report of the town’s stocks for herself, the officious pony preferring to keep a large library of up-to-date documents for every eventuality. One trend she had been expecting to see, though, was resolutely not materialising. Alcoholic beverage consumption had hardly fallen at all over the past while; very strange, considering the most voracious drinker in the fort should not have been getting his hooves on any. Who did Virtue assign as guards to the dungeon, anyway? Surely none of them would contravene my explicit orders? I shall have to check with Partisan; perhaps he can shed more light on this matter. With that, the purple mare hops off her seat, letting the sheaf of documents she has been rifling through fall to the desk, and opens the door just in time to see Partisan’s distinctive silvery tail and rear end disappear from view, the guard captain heading in the direction of the keep. Hmm.

Partisan himself was rushing, knowing he was later than usual in performing his usual ‘duties’. He didn’t want to fly, or it might perk up Indigo’s ears, or worse. That and, this would be considered illegal in Jury’s eyes. One more thing I am hiding from her. He thought disgusted him. Hiding things from his own could-be mate. That is not something he should do. Ever. If he does decide to wed her, he will have to tell her everything, including Jaxlers file. If  He noticed that he was slowing down again and began his rush again, until he reached the Food storage area.

The food stockpile? Is he planning another one of those...candlelit dinners? Jury smiles, more curious than ever, the matter of the alcohol mystery falling to the back of her mind. She simply had to see what was going on, now. She flattens herself against the wall of the nearest building, ignoring the curious looks from passers-by. When Partisan came back out of the hall, she would see him and continue following.

Looking around, he noted every choice he had. Carrot juice, non-alcoholic. Strawberry wine, too strong. This is just to keep him sane and alive. Apple cider, perfect. And with that, pulled the selected barrel and carefully poured some into a smaller jug.  That should be enough.
Satisfied, he quickly made his exit in the direction of the well. “Maybe I’ll. . .” his words caught themselves in his throat. I need to work on my saying my thoughts out loud.

Seeing the black pegasus reemerge, Jury quickly scoots round the edge of the building, trotting as stealthily as she can along after him. Where is he going with that, hmm? That is not the way to his office...

The well felt like it was on the complete other side of fort and rushing there tired him out a bit. Partisan wished he could just fly there, but, looks were still quite important. Hidden in a nearby bush (assuming the well is outside the fort) was a barrel. That barrel was put there recently to keep it from getting dirty, but, he still checked it and cleaned it out anyway. That took a long while, aside from filling it up  most of the way with water. When he was done, though, he just dumped all the cider into the barrel and hoisted it on his back. Now to the cell. and off he went
With a sinking feeling in her stomach, Jury watches the proceedings from a fair distance away, making sure to stay concealed as best she could. Her own intelligence is leading her to conclusions she, frankly, doesn’t want to even consider, but rather than back out and pretend she hasn’t seen anything, she continues to shadow Partisan. Watered-down cider had very few uses, but she could think of one in particular that really, really made her hope she was wrong. If it were anypony else...I hope he is doing something, anything other than what I think he might be doing...

Reaching the prison cells was back breaking work. Partisan shrugged off his heavy load as soon as he reached where the barrels of water were stored for Jaxler. They were of different sizes. Some pure water and some mixed, though Partisan could not tell which fit which category without test tasting. I better get back to my room before Jury finishes with her work. If she saw me here, she would be furious And that was his thought process during his calm stroll back to his office. At the door, he started to knock, and remembered, for the thousandth time, that she would not be inside. With a slightly depressed sigh, he opened up the door slowly.

Meanwhile, after Partisan had left, Jury was examining the barrels one by one, carefully opening each of them in turn and testing them. A sizable portion of them are clearly alcoholic, some even strong enough to be almost like a pure alcoholic beverage. Her face twists in anger, an intense feeling of betrayal welling up inside her as well. Jury knew full well most of the ponies in Dawnpick would happily disregard her orders, that was a given, considering how she treated them. But Partisan...she had trusted him. Trusted him to do his duty, trusted him to adhere to her wishes, and this is what she got for it? Betrayal and sadness war briefly with feelings of anger and rage, and rather than storming straight to Partisan’s office in a state of incandescent rage, Jury simply seems to deflate, feeling crushed. Using her magic, she bores holes in all the  barrels, letting them drain onto the floor as she walks home, her head bowed in dejection. IOh, Partisan...

(several days later)

Partisan raced his way to Jury’s office. Who would have done such a thing? Who is twisted enough to try and purposefully kill him?
He had finally decided to visit Jaxler and officially apologize to him for what he had done when he noticed that the floor smelt of strong liquor and other forms of booze. When he went into the water storage room, though the floor was dry, there visible holes in some of them. The only thing he could think of at the time was to tell Jury so she could help him start a formal investigation
But now at the door, knocking with urgency, Partisan wasn't so sure that it was the best idea to get her involved.

"Who is it?" calls Jury, sounding bored. Paperwork was much less fun without Partisan, she has discovered, but lately she would rather the guard captain simply disappeared off the face of the world rather than do anything with her, paperwork or otherwise. She would just keep intercepting the spiked barrels, and that would be that. Better that than have to confront the one pony in this town whom she actually liked.

“Partisan.” He said as he opened the door. Or, tried to, at least It seemed to have been locked.
“I need to talk to you about something important.” Something felt off in his head, but he just couldn't place it. Jury’s door was never locked before.

Important? I will show him important! fumes Jury, the mere sound of that traitorous, deceitful bastard's voice getting her all worked up again. "Come IN!" she yells, irate, ripping the door open despite the lock with an anger-empowered telekinetic pull.

Partisan stumbled in sheepishly. She was angry. Very angry. I think she found Jaxlers papers. He had a guilty look on his face that he could not hide. “You're mad.” He said in the most matter of fact way he could muster. She could get flustered sometimes, even happy, but he has never seen her angry. Not like this. And now he had a front row seat to her wrath.

"Mad? Partisan, I am not mad; I am furious." Jury hisses in a deathly cold voice. "I thought you cared!" she accuses, rising to her hooves. "I thought you cared, Partisan, about your job, but while I expected some ponies to try it, never did I suspect you would be smuggling alcohol to Jaxler, against my explicit orders that he be forbidden it! Why? Answer me, you corrupt, conniving cur! And what else are you hiding from me, you pathetic excuse for a guard captain? WHY?" Her voice rises into a full shout, rage and hurt at his betrayal evident in every syllable, the papers she has been reading through unconsciously crushed into a ball in her fury.

The fact that Jury still didn’t know about Jaxler’s files, yet, would have been a relief in itself if it weren't for the fact that she was now questioning whether or not he had been hiding anything else from her. Partisan though he knew her well, but this kind of reaction. The guilt he felt from her words began piling up as he realized how much he actually hurt her. He had to tell her everything, and soon. But one fact remained, he didn’t want to tell her about Jaxler “I did it because I care. I don’t want you to have th-”

“You are an utterly useless, unfit guard captain! I thought you, of all ponies, would understand! I thought you, of all ponies, would have actually tried to enforce the terms attached to Jaxler’s imprisonment, but instead I find even the p- even you are as corrupt, debased, and utterly- utterly scummy as the rest of them! I explicitly said no alcohol for that mindless, disgusting thug, and while I expected that some ponies would naturally try to flout that rule, I also expected that you, as captain of the guard, would have had the moral integrity to marshal yourself and your subordinates and try to put a stop to the smuggling, not to actively aid it! Why? Is the comfort of a violent criminal more important to you than- you disgust me!” Jury rants, practically screaming at Partisan, apoplectic with rage as she stalks round her desk, moving right up in front of the pegasus. “I thought you were different, but you are just like all the others. Deceitful and corrupt. You did it because you care? Care about what? Nothing other than your own pathetic wishes, or those of an unrepentant criminal. Certainly not mine, Partisan, whether as a- a friend, or as a judge. That much is clear.”

“I DON’T WANT YOU TO KILL HIM!” His voice rang loud enough to echo through the hall. “I know you may have sentence ponies to their death before, but have you ever watched one die yourself?” His voice dropped as quickly as it rose. “I don’t want you to have to see that. That why I was trying to wean that idiot off of booze. If you were to pull it away, like you did, he would die within the week. I didn’t want you to be responsible for that. No. I will not have you responsible for any deaths here.”

“Why oh why are you so dense? There is zero, none, nada, no chance of him dying just because he is not getting any of his precious booze to relax with; if anything I am doing the scumbag a favour and improving his health by punishing him so! I do not believe a word of it, Partisan; and even if I did, why, WHY did you not approach me directly? And here-” she abruptly throws a stack of papers at him, forcing him to reflexively catch it - “look at these. Tell me what you see, or did you already know about this? Somehow, I imagine that might be true! Judging by these figures, either the rest of the town has stepped up their drinking to accomodate the deficit left by his imprisonment or huge amounts of drink are being smuggled into him; much more than you have been putting in the water supply! DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?” Jury yells, nowhere near done yet. “Answer me!”

Partisan first rushed over the papers, but noted one odd correlation between the graphs for this year and the ones for last year. There was not a discrete drop, as though one or two ponies were doing jaxler a service, but a slight increase in the amount of alcohol being consumed in all of Dawnpick. It was as though Jaxler, their largest wasn’t even imprisoned, but on a binge.
“No, I knew nothing about this.” There was no way that he could convince her that he was telling the truth, and he knew that.
“And I didn’t approach you directly because. . .” his words found themselves caught in his throat, “because I was sure you would get. . . like this.”

“Damn it, Partisan! You have made things a thousand times worse by going behind my back, I assure you!” Jury turns away, pacing back over to her desk and rifling through a few more papers. “He is not getting a cushy, booze-saturated nine months in prison, that I can assure you. Either you will work with me on shutting this smuggling down, or I am going over your head about it; is that clear? You will submit to my authority; as an agent of the Crown my sanctions issued and all conditions attached are final!

“I. . .” Partisan paused and decided that it was better for his relationship with her to submit.
“Understood. I will start the investigation right away. And I will keep no more secrets from you.” Starting with the one that nobody knows about. Not even Virtue.
“Just give me some time to regain your trust.” Partisan left his head low, not daring to look into Jury’s eyes.

“You will have quite a job doing that,” snaps the irate mare, sitting back down in front of her desk. There was so much she wanted to say to him, but she refuses to let her icy demeanour slip. Feelings of personal hurt and betrayal could take a back seat to the more professional side of the matter, for now. “Quite a job indeed. Now get out of my sight.”

Partisan left wordlessly. He had a job to do. Jury wanted him to stop the smuggling of liquor for Jaxler, and, by his own words, he will do it. He had to earn back her trust. One flame still burned in his mind, though. When he said he would not have Jury ever take the blame for thoughtless pony-slaughter, he meant it. He had enough of death himself, and he did not want her to feel the pressure that it can bring. To that end, he was determined to find a way to prove to her that Jaxler needed the bare minimum to survive. At least for now.

and 

(No more than half an hour after Being confronted by Jury)

Partisan thanked Panacea for her time and rolled the papers she gave him in with the other papers in his bag. Leaving out he spotted Kat.

Kat was, indeed, rather bored. She’s not on duty at the moment and there’s not many things to do, and all the other ponies are busy. So she’s just, sitting there, in her casual dress and hat, watching the clouds and letting her mind flow free.

Still tender from his “talk” with Jury, he felt as though he should talk to her. After all, it was my judgement that brought her there in the first place. That reasoning had stuck with him ever since he was awakened by Indigo the day of Jaxlers arrest.
“How are you feeling?” He asked as he slowly walked up to her.

Kat perk up her ears and quickly shot up to her hooves with a quick salute instinctively when she hear Partisan’s voice, “I’m, um.. Fine, Captain. You?” she replied before slowly lowering her hoof.

Partisan had to admit, he was so use to her being in armor and mane back, that she caught him off guard.
“Well,” he coughed out before catching himself, “I. . .  could be better. Jury is having me look into ponies giving  Jaxler booze. According to his sentencing, he is to have nothing but water.” The thought of the consequences of that made him sigh. “And though I agree with why, Jaxler is a well known addict. That means he can suffer from withdrawal. And for such a heavy addiction as his. . .” He chose not to finish his sentence. The thought alone was making him depressed.
I don’t want her to face that.

“Ah..” Kat replied with a nod “I.. can imagine how bad the withdrawal could be.” she said, sighing slightly before sitting back down, tucking her legs back to herself.

Partisan sat down next to her and looked up. He knew that she didn’t like Jaxler very much, but she didn’t seem to like the possible outcome herself. I should be there to here, cheering her up, not being depressing.
“We shouldn't really be talking about such depressing things. Sorry. What are you looking at?”

Kat beam her captain a smile at his apology, “It’s okay Captain. And, I was looking for a cloud that I could shape into something. The sky’s been awfully boring lately, Maybe I’ll make a cloud formation or something. Something to do when there’s nothing to do you know?” Kat answered. Pondering what to do with that one particular cloud.

Partisan thought about it himself and found that he could only settle on one thing.
“Why not shape it into a loved one. . . or maybe just a heart.” He said something after that, but it came out very rough and mumbled. It was almost completely indecipherable, though the words “you care for”  could be heard.

“hmm.. that’s not a bad Idea.” Kat nodded with a smile. “Who or what would you shape it into?” She asked, wondering if her captain would like to join her in her cloud-shaping hobby.

Partisan was reluctant to mention who he wanted in the clouds, only because he knew that their current relationship was a secret, if it still existed.
“I am none too sure. There is this one tourmaline I have seen lately. I am thinking of buying it, but, I am none too sure about it anymore. But it is really quite A sight to behold. I might make that. Or you guys. You guys have always been there for me.”
Yah, thats right. We have been through so much together haven’t we.

Kat d’awwwd at that, beaming happily “Aww.. you’re so sweet Captain.” She said.

“I. . .” Partisan blushed from the praise. something he hasn't done in a long time. And then it hit him. He was feeling better. He wasn’t beaming with joy, but, he felt content.
“Thank you.”

“You’re welcomed..” Kat said with a smile, She wasn’t sure what Partisan thanked her for, but she guess it was a good thing anyway. “Anything to help, Captain. So! want to shape the clouds with me?”

“I would, but Jury would have my flank if I delay the investigation any longer.” With that, Partisan stood and saluted out of habit. When she returned the action, though, he gave her a hug instead, which was cut short in a moment of embarrassment. He opened his mouth to apologize, but ran off without a word.

Kat blushed as well from the hug, confused to see her captain blushing and running away.. but then simply smile and sits back down again, watching the male pegasus trotting away.

, , , and
Partisan packed away his files neatly and placed the newly written sheet of paper on his desk. Jury was never really one to like mess and clutter. In fact, it was the only reason why he didn’t have his piles like in the old days.
I hope this works. He thought to himself as he shut the door of his office, not bothering to lock it. It would be opened in less than thirty minutes anyway. If he plans this correctly.
Partisan made his slow trek to Jury. It had been days since they last spoke. And, now that he had what she asked him to bring her, he could break the silence.

Hearing the knock on the door, Jury scowls even more at the papers she’s holding, tossing them to the side decisively. Only one pony knocked on her door like that, and she still doesn’t feel like seeing him. Nevertheless, she has to remain professional; he was the closest thing she had to a coworker, after all, and the town’s legal department could not be thrown into disarray just because of personal issues.
“Come in!” she calls, in a deeply unamused-sounding voice.

“I have the list of suspects you wanted me to find.” Partisan spoke as he opened the door. Just wide enough to get  in and quickly close it.
“I also thought it would be appropriate to write up an arrest warrant for all known perpetrators. Acting against a judge's verdict is punishable by a minimum of a weeks Jail time, if I remember correctly.” With that, he handed her a small stack of papers. Each one had the names of ponies, including himself, who have been in and out of that room for the past month, their reason for being there, and why they were suspected. And under the stack, was an arrest warrant for only one pony.

Jury flicks through the sheaf briefly, running a bored eye over each of them in turn before coming to the last page, the arrest warrant.
“Partisan,” she begins slowly, before cutting herself off. He was right again, as usual; she had seen him guilty with her own eyes, and as he had apparently not managed to prove his point about Jaxler evidently “needing” alcohol...
Suddenly unable to meet the pegasus’ gaze, she practically slashes at the parchment with her quill, scribbling a hasty signature to authorise the document.

“Before I go take this to Kat, I wanted to catch up. Its been days since we last spoke. Even after the ‘Moral’ incident, you chose to send a runner to me instead of see me face to face. And, well, I rather not leave until I have really spoken to you.” Partisan did not rehearse his words, but in his mind on the way there. He knew that it would be a while until they next spoke. He didn’t want to leave her just yet.

The purple mare narrows her eyes as she glares at Partisan, hesitant and suspicious. Sign his arrest warrant then have a friendly chat? He is up to something.
“Well then, speak to me and have done with it,” she replies brusquely, her gaze piercing him.

That was the look in her eyes that he expected. Strong. Fierce. Cautious. The reason why he asked her out in the first place. He looked directly into those emerald orbs.
I wish I could give you gems as beautiful as the ones you already have.
“How are things?” He asked, no longer sure of what he really had planned on saying.

Things are subpar, Partisan, as you can no doubt tell. Very much so.” Jury replies briefly, still wondering what the guard captain was up to. Something was off.

“Yes, I know. And I am very sorry about that. But, we should talk about that later. Right now, it might be a bit easier if we talk about events. Li-” His words cut short as an internal alarm ran off in his head. He was about to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Plus, it was time for him to leave.
“I guess I won’t get to catch up with you. I have a sentencing to deliver. Before I leave, I should tell you, though. You should go to my office. I left something important there that you would need. Also, the commitment to my promise of not hiding anything from you ever again.”  With that, Partisan grabbed the warrant and rushed out. Only the sarcastic though of his smooth words to keep him company on his way to Kat.

She watches him go with an impassive expression, stony-faced behind her desk up until about fifteen seconds after Partisan has left, whereupon she blasts all the sheets of paper off her desk, hurling a couple of books at the wall in a tantrum for good measure. She never thought she'd ever not enjoy passing sentence, let alone actively hate it, but here she finds herself getting upset over just such a thing. Damn it! If only that fool had just left that cur to thirst for his precious alcohol than given in! I thought they were friends no longer, but...
Unable to even think coherently any more, such is her fury, she practically rips the door from its hinges, snapping it wide open and slamming it violently behind her as she storms out, heading straight for Partisan's office in hopes of finding some answers to this mess. Abusing Partisan's door in the same manner as her own, Jury picks up the uppermost paper on his desk, reading the note she finds there with a raised eyebrow:

Jury,
Lower cabinet, reach in the back, pull out the box there.
00C957

Partisan.

Curiosity now totally piqued, Jury does as instructed, placing the small wooden box on the tabletop and deftly unlocking it. Inside, she finds...more papers. Lots of papers; a huge stack of crumpled, slightly yellowed parchment with two much fresher pieces on top. What is all this? How much was he hiding, and what?

She starts reading through the entire sheaf, or at least she intends to, but after finishing the second piece of new paper Jury leaves the box to one side, grabbing both in her magic and galloping out of the room, barely remembering to lock the door behind her.

Partisan walked into the barracks, calmly. it was difficult to make it seem like nothing was out of the ordinary.
“We have another arrest warrant to take care of Kat” He said, barely keeping his face calm. I hope she doesn’t complain about this.

Kat perk up her ears as she hears her captain entering, Saluting him along with Kit as well as they were just practicing using the crossbows as hammers. “Another warrant, Captain?” she asked for confirmation, curious as who they’re going to arrest again.

“Yes,” he answered as he tossed his pack over to them, “also your stance is wrong, Kit. Your legs need to be farther apart. If you get hit like that, you will be knocked right over. If Jaxler was here, you would learn that lesson the hard way.” He then motioned for them to stop, and look in the bag.

Kit squeaked and nods, blushing slightly “Um.. s-sorry Captain..” She said nervously, but Thankful that he corrected her without having to knock her over. Kat watches in interest to see what’s Partisan got for them today. “Who is it this time Captain?” She asked. Curious as always.

“It’s all in the bag. This is Kat’s assignment, though.” He turned his head to her as he spoke. This might be his last lecture for a while.
“As second in command, you will be called upon to make tough choices if I am indisposed or unable to perform my duties. So, you will need to be ready to defend your friends and family, and uphold the law. Open the bag and read what’s in it.”

Kat was beginning to feel cautious, but she opened the bag non-the-less and begin to read what’s in it. Kit was sure to give her sister the space since it seems to be her thing to do at the moment.

Partisan watched as her eyes went wide. Almost like when he himself when he had hugged her much earlier.
“So, are you ready to do what needs to be done?”

“Well.. can I ask why first?” Kat asked. Still quite unsure in this whole ordeal. Kit just seems confused.

Partisan sighed. With the exhale of his breath went the hope of Kat putting the two things together.
“Remember when I told you that I was doing the investigation for Jury. She wanted all known offenders of the violation to be persecuted. So I did my job.”

“So.. you’re.. arresting yourself?” Kat asked, unable to quite process that in her mind. Kit was even more confused.

“I did my job.” He repeated himself a second time, hoping she would get the message. ‘I expect you to do the same.’

“wait wait wait, hold on for a second.” Kat said waving a hoof, then rubs it at her forehead “so, let me get this straight. you did your job, and that, somehow, calls for you to be arrested, and so with a warrant as well, you come over to me and want me to arrest you, Am I getting this correct?”

“Basically. I broke a law. I was wrong for that, and the situation required my arrest because of it. As second in command, your duty is to fill in where the Captain cannot. I cannot place myself in the cell, so you must.”

After getting it cleared, Kat just shrugs “Well, alright Captain. You want me to shackle you too?” she asked, eyeing the cuffs just in case he wanted it aswell. Not that much bothered by the fact that she’s going to have to arrest her superior.

“This is your show, not mine. It is up to your best judgement on how you want to handle this.”
Partisan was trying his best not to take over. She was handling the situation quite well. Much better than he would.

“Well. Alright then Captain, I’ll just cuff you just in case, I mean, If I were to just walk you to the jail and put you in there you could’ve easily just buck me in the face and fly away. Or shoot me, oh the possibilities are endless. Until I cuffs you, maybe tie your wings together, and disarm you. Nothing personal yeah captain? I like you and all that but, procedures. You know how it goes.” Kat said with a little shrug, Of course she liked Partisan and she didn’t want to do this to him, but hey! Duty calls. what can you say?

Partisan said nothing, but slowly moved in close so she could do as she said she would. it was a long procedure, and the weights on the chains were a lot heavier than he though. His slightly bloodied cutie mark of a curved spear showed clear than it ever did before, and that concerned him. But there was nothing he could do about it.
“So, can we go?”

The door is flung open violently, and Jury gallops inside, a document and a small box carried magically behind her.
"Partisan! What are you doing, you idiot! You had this statement from Panacea in that chest of yours all along! Get those chains off him, you two idiots!" The unicorn's face is flushed, clearly out of breath and near the end of her tether. Somepony, namely her, had made a big mistake, and at last she begins to see what Partisan might have been up to.

Kit squeaked at being called an Idiot even though she didn’t do anything at all, Kat was less than joyful at her new nickname by the judge. “right then.” She said. She’s more annoyed by the fact that the Unicorn couldn’t have had burst in earlier before they’re done with everything, but isn’t complaining as she began to undo the chains and ropes. Kit had to help.

“Really? That is what caught your attention first?” This confused him more than Jury actually considering allowing Jaxler to have any booze during his sentencing.
“You didn't see the one abo-”

"The one about what? Never mind, Partisan; this document exonerates you, you fool! You must have known that! If Panacea, as a certified medical doctor, says that at least some supply of alcohol is necessary then- then...Partisan, I am waiving all charges unconditionally!" Jury shoves the document towards him, keeping the box by her side.

“Wasn’t there another paper with the document? Oh forget it. let me make you dinner to make up. . .” His voice trailed off as he realized that they weren't alone, and he turned to the other two, trying to think of some way of explaining.

Kit dropped her Jaw while Kat gives them a knowing look and smile. Patting her captain on the shoulder, “Have fun, Partisan.” Kat said with a little chuckle.

That went much easier than he could ever hope for. At least, that’s what he thought, until he turned back to see the unamused face Jury was giving him.
“Err. I am going to run along, now. I have an angry mare to appease.”

Kat couldn’t help but to chuckle at her captain’s awkwardness, “of course you do. Go on! don’t keep her waiting!” she said as she sends Partisan away to confront his angry marefriend.. What a surprise, Partisan and Jury? Who would’ve thought.

Partisan and Jury walked to his office together. Not that he could complain, they never got the opportunity to do that before, and, after two years of dating, it was nice.
“Did you get the um. . . .  Paper for the. . . . “ And after two years, he still found himself hung up on words when around her.

"Paper for this?" she inquires, opening the box to reveal the emerald ring nestled inside. "Yes, Partisan, I did." Jury gazes searchingly at him as she opens his office door, ushering him inside with an unreadable expression.

“Great.” He tried to force out the proper words, still stuck between his brain and his throat.
Please don't make me do this again. And after two years, she hasn’t made easier for him to do so, even though he knew she knew what he was trying to say. Partisan took in a deep breath.
“Jury.”

"Yes?" she replies, still holding the ring and box before him, looking mildly amused now that everything is starting to make sense. "You really are a horrible pony, Partisan, manipulating me like that. You knew that document was in there, you put it there yourself, and you must have known how Panacea's statement there would wholly excuse what you did." She shakes her head in disbelief, a very slight smile on her face.

“I had to prove to you that I was doing what I did from good intentions. That I wasn’t being corrupt. if I didn’t, I couldn’t ask you this question. . .” Partisan choked on his words again, but this time he tried to play it off.
“I had been thinking about this for a while and well. . . The last few days have affirmed how I feel about you. I never wanted to see you disappointed by me again, so, along with my vow never to hide a secret from you again, I made an internal vow to make right my wrong. and, this was the only way I could see it getting d-”

"What was the only way? Speak up, Partisan, you silly foal." she teased mercilessly, waving the box around gently.

“Marry me.” His words came out more rushed than than clear. He wasn’t sure if it was the best move he could make, Jury wasn’t liked, and, if she wanted to keep their union a secret, it would only make it harder, but, this was the choice he wanted.

Jury nearly drops the box, caught completely off guard. "You- what? I thought- this is more than just a gift? Partisan, I- are you sure? I mean- nopony has ever..." She looks at him with newfound awe, viridian eyes wide.

His catching her in shock restored a small portion of his confidence.
“If you don’t think I am, then make me sure. Marry me.” Words clear and calm. He made it a command, this time, than a question. He looked right in her eyes and took one of her hoofs in both of his.
“I want you to make me sure that this is the best decision that I have ever made. I want to make sure that I never bring you disappointment again. I want you to be a permanent part of my life, so marry me.”

Jury stares at him, dumbstruck, before taking the ring out of the box and throwing the now-useless container aside, where it clatters to the floor. "Partisan...really? Not many ponies would even so much as nod to me in the street, are you- I accept, of course I accept!" She just lets Partisan hold her hoof, still slightly in shock.

Partisan held her hoof, beaming like a drunken pony.
Drunken. That reminds me.
“Then let's celebrate. Remember that cider we had when we first met?”

"You have more?" Jury asks, slowly coming back down to earth. "How much more?"

“Another barrel. It takes, about a year to get to full strength. if you want, we can skip dinner tonight and get straight to the drinks. We have a lot of planning to do in the morning.”

“I think that is a very good idea, Partisan. A very, very good idea.”

I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: May 28, 2012, 06:14:16 pm »

Holy flying ****! What the hell did I miss? Zomara sent me a PM saying he wanted Longshot to wed the two ponies, but I had no idea THIS much had happened.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: May 30, 2012, 01:57:04 am »

Having just finished eating her lunch, Sarissa still had some free time left before she needed to return to her duties. She played around with her fork a bit, tapping it against the now-empty tray using her magic; her mind was busy with contemplation. The mare had successfully created a spell for the purpose of improving her situational awareness. Now that she had proven to herself that she had a modest capability to craft spells, perhaps now she should make an attempt to generate a more offensive type of magic. During her studies, she had learned a great deal about the properties of blood. That was where she had also decided to start with her next spell.

Unfortunately, there was another element to the concept that she knew little about: heat. There were no fire spells or the like within the only magic book she had. Experimenting with it without supervision could have more dastardly consequences than simply botching an eye. Even after she had healed, her vision had never returned to 100% in her left eye. For the sake of safety, she needed a professional. She had heard rumors about a new member of Dawnpick; the red alicorn. It was said that he had used some impressive fire spell to intimidate Jury. What was his name again? Moron? Mortal? It was something like that. The copper unicorn got up from her seat in the dining hall. It was time to go pay him a visit. She would, however, remain cautious around him; it was also said that he was insane...

Moral was working at the craftpony’s workshop and was having a great time. The alicorn had gotten out jail recently and couldn’t help but feel happy, and now make things better somepony was walking over to the red pony. Moral lowered the half finished craft he was carving and gave an infectious smile. “Hello um... ug.. GOD DAMNIT WHAT’S THE WORD! oh, got it! Hello there Sarisser”

After having entered the workshop, it was pretty easy to tell which of the crafters she was looking for. Together with Stiletto, this guy was probably the biggest pony here. As she approached him, he appeared to quickly take notice of her as well. She wrinkled her nose at his greeting, “Hi...” Sarissa responded in an unsure tone. Sarisser? Maybe that’s just his accent, “I heard that you and Jury had a little ‘incident’ the other week. Something involving fire. Is that correct? Do you mind if I have your name?”

Moral frowned at the mention of the incident. That mean old Jury just had to make Moral angry. “Well, my name are Moral! Um... what your name?

Well, she was close to having his name right. The axe-pony was becoming a bit confused by his behavior. Didn’t he just mention my name?  “That would be Sarissa. You were close to saying it right the first time.” She then cleared her throat, “I suppose I should get straight to the point, Moral. You happen to know how to magically produce heat and fire, yes? I want to talk with you about that when you get some free time. Is that alright with you?” Her tone remained business-like.

Moral’s smile reappeared. “Oh, right now would be fine. I no is doing anything um... I am currently not partaking in any substantially important matters and would be willing to converse with you.” Moral then looked down at the craft he was working on. The alicorn’s horn then started to glow and the little craft he was working on spontaneously combusted. the pony kept his eyes fixated on the flame. “And I am much more then capable of starting a small fire.” The pony then lifted the burning item with his hoof, not being the slightest bit burnt.

Now things were getting weird. This guy seemed to have the intelligence of school-aged colt, if that much. Now he’s burning his own creation? Maybe the others were correct about his state of mind. If that’s so, he definitely shouldn’t be playing with fire. Sarissa’s eyes focused in on the flaming item, “Hey! Put that out! Don’t you know this place is full of wood?! You could burn this whole building down!” she snapped, “I didn’t mean for you to make a fire right here and now!”

Moral’s smile once again disappeared. “Oh, calm down, it’s only a little flame, and do you honestly believe a grand master pyromancer couldn’t keep his flame from growing exponentially l or extinguish it given it got slightly too big? Also if this whole building did catch fire I could just do this.” The pony’s horn the glowed once more as the fire in his hooves was extinguished and reignited over and over in a similar fashion to a lamp that had its switch constantly flipped.

Sarissa groaned as she placed a hoof to her forehead, “Ugh, well, could you at least bring that thing outside? I still don’t want to risk any accidents.” The unicorn began to exit the building, mentally processing the unusual change in voice and personality of this strange pony. She was having a hard time figuring him out. Now standing on a wide patch of sand, she motioned to him, “Right here would be good...” At least this bare soil would have been a safer place to have a fire.

Moral followed after the pony keeping his fire nearby. the grand master was irritated at how she could honestly think him incapable of controlling his own creations. “So, what exactly do wish to learn.”

Using telekinesis, the armored mare lifted Elegy into the air, “I want to enchant the blades of my axe. What I have in mind is a bit specific. Um, how do I explain this...” She rubs the side of her head with a hoof, “...I want it so that whenever blood touches one of the steel blades of this axe, it will either boil or burst into flame. However, I want to to be so that the blades themselves are not actually hot to the touch; the one and only thing they will burn is blood. Also, I’d prefer if the spell were not permanent, but could be fueled by my own magic when I desire to have it in use. I know a good bit about the effects of magic on blood, but almost nothing about magically-conjuring heat.” Sarissa pauses for a moment, “...did I explain that well enough?”

“I understand fairly well what you are wishing for, but before you even fantasize about a axe that boils blood, you need to know how to boil liquids magically. Once that is done you should easily be able to have your axe make things boils.” Moral then smiled and took a flask out from under his wing. “Please, try your best to boil the contents of this flask.”

She looks at the flask, then back to Moral, “To be perfectly honest, I don’t even know where to begin...” Thinking for a moment, the unicorn sighs, “I’ll give it a shot, though...” Feeling for the Strings of Fate, Sarissa takes note of the complex and constantly-changing weave that connects every little piece of the fluid to itself. Do I pull them apart? Make them change faster? Alter frequency or tension. She begins to fiddle a bit with it randomly. The liquid in the flask vibrates and bubbles. Still, no heat develops from her actions and the liquid stays pretty much liquid.

“Wow, looks like you really don’t know what you're doing.” How Moral knew the water wasn’t boiling without taking his eyes off the flame was a mystery. “you know those strings that keep this entire world together? Take each and every individual one inside that liquid and knot them all together, then stretch them violently.”

The mare cut him a glance from narrowed eyes, “Um, yeah, that’s why I’m here with you instead of doing this on my own...” Her attention returned to the container. Was his advice really such a good idea? If his suggestion caused a lot of strings to snap, that could cause some unpredictable side effects. Still, he was the ‘master’. She focused in it, twisting them around neatly in circle until they were tangled. Next, she pulled the mass at both ends, but not too harshly. The result caused the water “cough” a large bubble of steam, but half of the liquid remained. “...is that any better?”

Moral raised an eyebrow at the sight of the water steaming, though still he kept his eye’s on the fire. “Well, yes. by all means yes, but be more... barbaric when you pull the strings, I want them to be torn by the time you're done.”

Sarissa looked around to make sure nopony else was close enough to be harmed if something went wrong. Pulling her helmet on more tightly and peaking over the upper edge of her shield, she began to wrap the strings together tightly once more. It took her about 10 seconds to get them how she wanted. Now she pulled with all the magical strength she had in her. A loud hissing sound emanated from the water as a combination of steam and frothy water billowed from the opening. Inside, the water boiled so violently that the glass cracked and shattered. The mare panted after the exertion, “Oh...*huff*...I didn’t mean to break your flask there...”

“Wow, looks like you made it both boil and detonate.” The stallion knew that given Sarissa hadn’t halved the contents of his flask she could have covered him in sharp glass, but he preferred to focus on the bright side. “Well, great job. Usually ponies take around a week to actually make something explode. You might actually want to use that spell you just casted as the base for your enchantment.”

“Hmm, well it does help...although I certainly want it to more controlled than that; I don’t want my axe to explode. Practice makes perfect, I suppose?” She walks over a bit more closely to him, “Thank you for your time. This should help give me some of the direction I need.” Sarissa looks over to the shattered remains of the flask, “Um...you probably want me to pay for that, don’t you?”

Moral’s horn glows and the fire in his hooves goes out. “Oh, nah I be happy if I pay fo it myself!” said Moral gleefully. Why anypony would expect him to want them to pay for something was beyond the jolly alicorn’s head.

Puzzled by this reversion back to his original personality, Sarissa began to wonder why he was doing this. Trying to get attention? Just having fun? Or was there really something wrong with his head? “Alright then...thank you...Moral. I suppose I will be seeing you later, as I must get to the barracks.” The militia pony trotted away from the red giant, feeling uneasy about the whole encounter. With a combination of fire powers and an unstable mind, he could be a potential threat to Dawnpick. She would keep an eye on him for sure.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:00:22 pm by Kryptid »

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:46 pm »

((And Marilee))

Jaxler had be anxious. the walls of the cell were more annoying now then scary, and the amount of boredom he felt was deadly. between smacking around irate foals and sitting on his bed, the only thing that was even remotely interesting was talking with the few ponies that visited him. Marilee, Granite, Flux, Silver Tongue, Amor, and Midnight were the few ponies who made this whole torment bearable.

The pegasus had a list of things he was going to do when he got out. among which were, getting his crossbow back, getting stone cold drunk, and finally he had some plans for Marilee. All of which gave him something to look forward to and the pony knew he was almost done with his sentence but hadn’t the slightest clue exactly how many more days he had. The pony would have asked Saber on occasion, but the guard seemed to always have an excuse to not show up and when she was on duty, the pony always found a way to sleep on the job. So, Jaxler just sat on his bed and waited the day way, that is of course until he heard a pony walking down the stairs. “who’s there?”

“Jaxler? It’s me, Marilee.” The familiar crimson-coated pegasus stepped into view.

“Oh, hi....” Jaxler really wasn’t expecting her, and was more or less hoping that it was somepony who would let him out of jail. “So, how you been?”

“Oh, I’ve been very well, thank you. I imagine you’re feeling very well today, right?”

“Um, I no really, why?” The little pony was completely oblivious to today’s significance.

Marilee looked perplexed. “You... don’t know? Jaxler, today is your last day in prison. You get to go home today.”

“Wha...” Jaxler was shocked, he honestly thought he had a few more days are even a week more until he got out. “Really?”

“Really! I wanted to be here when you got out.”

“Damn... nine months go by fast... Oh, um, and thank you for being here.”

“You’re very welcome, Jaxler.” Marilee sat down by the door to his cell. “So... what are you going to do when you get out?”

“Well, there are a few things I plan on doing. the first thing I’d do is try to get my crossbow back, then I’d probably celebrate with a few kegs of booze.”

“Would you mind very much if... I came along?”

“Drinking is always more fun with company”

Marilee giggles quietly. “So... it’s a date, then?” she says jokingly.

Jaxler got a big smile. “Oh, well, I’d love to go on a date with you.” said Jaxler half jokingly.

“So, as soon as you’re free, or later tonight?”

“Sure, I’d love to go on a date with you tonight.”

“Great! Where should we meet?”

“I’m gonna talk with virtue after I get out. So, how about I mean you at your house after I’m done with that.”

“Okay, that sounds good.” Marilee reached a hoof through the bars and held it out to Jaxler.

Jaxler took Marilee’s hoof with his own and smiled. “It should be.”

"Holding hooves now rather than clattering people in the face? My, perhaps prison actually rehabilitated you a bit rather than served as merely a punishment. One can only hope," drifts a sarcastic voice from the stairway. With a jingling of keys Jury steps out from the shadows, a sardonic grin on her face at the sight of the pair. "I have a lot of business to get back to with Partisan, so I shall not drag this out. Perhaps next time, hmm? Or maybe you could even surprise me; stop the whole chain of repeat offenses. Pigs may yet fly!"

Jaxler sighed heavily and dropped Marilee’s hoove. As much as he loved the idea of getting out of this hole, being stuck near Jury was just painful. At least the thought of Jury’s malevolent presence (incessantly? I like that word right now. (Feel free to edit the word in)tormenting Partisan later on made him feel slightly better.

“Jury,” said a pony in a calm yet firm voice, “please stop trying to torture Jaxler. And, last night, you said you would tell him. Though, if you want, he can find out with everyone else. I would rather have him by my side during the event.” From behind the purple mare came Partisan, hoping to make amends with his old friend.

"Well, Jaxler, you will undoubtedly be delighted to know that Partisan and I are, well-" she lowers her head to reveal the ring round her horn  "-engaged to be married. I am sure you and, ah, Marilee are absolutely thrilled to hear it, hmm?" Busying herself with finding the right key, her grin widens.

That was a low blow. Jaxler already had gained a disliking for Partisan. The pony had already demoted Jaxler, put him a box, and didn’t even stand up for him when Jury, the same pony he now wanted to marry, demoralized him for fun. And now, he wanted to marry the one pony who took his crossbow, and could have killed him in the most horrible of ways. “What the buck, do you mean by, ‘be by your side during the event’, Partisan?”

“As my best pony. Also, your crossbow is in my office for safekeeping. If you would like to meet me there, later, I would be more then happy to give it back to its rightful owner.”

Jaxler was shocked. He really didn’t know what to think. “I... I don’t know...” He really, really, didn’t like Partisan. he felt like the pony had stabbed him in the back on multiple occasions. “I... give me my crossbow back and I’ll give you an answer tomorrow.”

Partisan continued without skipping a beat. "You have been there for me countless times. We are boltmates, regardless of the fact that we are in diffrent squads now. I don't want there to be any ill between us." And, as Jury opened the door, he extended a hoof.
"At least give me this one honer." It was his time to plead now.

Marilee stood back from the open door, waiting on the sidelines expectantly.

“um...” Jaxler sighed heavily. “sure...”

"Um, sure!" mimics Jury, rolling her eyes. "Stop begging, Partisan, you are better than that. I will never understand why you keep trying to associate with this trash. You can see it in his face and hear it in his voice; he cares nothing for you, just the promise of his oh-so-precious crossbow. He will disappear from your sight after you return it, I guarantee it." She steps back from the open cell, looking bored. "Can we not keep it as the lovely paperweight it is, Partisan? Jaxler, you could consider it a wedding gift, hmm?"

"Jury, be reasonable. You said it yourself, he might have been reformed. Plus, I am partly responsible for him being in here." Partisan looked her in the eyes and gave her his 'I-O-U' look that he used to get his way with her. "Anyway, we have a lot to catch up on, Jaxler. I will leave you and your friend talk. Just don’t forget your bow." Saying what he needed to, he nodded, whispered some words into Jury's ears and slowly walked off.

"I suppose my most exquisite paperweight is on loan for a while, then, at least until you offend again. Or perhaps you will actually have reformed, and then I will not have to waste any of my time processing you again. Win-win, would you not agree?" Jury trots off after her fiancé, stopping at the staircase for one last parting shot. "I hope you are content with never firing it again, though!" she cackles, skipping up the stairs and leaving the pair to ponder what she meant.

Marilee waited until Jury is out of sight, before deflating visibly. “Wow... I know you’ve told me all about her, but... seeing her in person...”

Jaxler sighed, and was visibly distressed by what Jury’s words. “Yeah, she is a jackass...”
But Marilee refused to have this day ruined, and in just a few moments her smile had returned. She threw her forelegs around Jaxler’s neck and hugged him tightly.

Jaxler was caught off guard by the hug, but eventually eased into it. “Thanks”

Marilee slowly released the hug, giggling. “I’ve been waiting nine months to do that.”

“I hope it was worth the wait.” Jaxler then looked toward the stairs. “what do you think Jury meant when she was talking about my crossbow?”

“I-I think she means she’s going to try and get you removed from the reserves.” At least, she sincerely hoped that was what Jury meant.

“God, why can’t she just leave me alone?”

“D-Do you want me to come along?”

“Sure...”
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

(( Some time after Jaxler's arrest and a little over a week after Indigo's visit to Sarissa. ))

Indigo wakes up in the morning, cleans in his bowl of water, spills the contents out the window and dresses up to train with his squad. As he leaves for the dining hall, he sees Sarissa's door opening. He stops and notices that the mare is wearing an eyepatch. "Sarissa? Did you hurt your eye?" He asks with slight concern.

Groaning in regards to the inquiry, the armoured unicorn cuts a glance over towards him, "...so what if I did? Why would you care about what happens to an 'evil' pony?" Why did Indigo have to be the one to ask?

"Oh, you're still obsessing about that? It was just a poor choice of words on my part. Anyway, I don't want ponies to get hurt, including you. If you'd rather not tell me, that's fine, though." says Indigo.

Well, perhaps that's something of an apology, but it doesn't do much to make Sarissa feel better. The copper unicorn rarely forgives and never forgets. Still, there was probably no real harm in telling him. "I busted it up when I tried to fix some short-comings with my Vitalsight spell," Sarissa unhappily admits.

"Oh... Fiddling with spells can be dangerous. You shouldn't be doing it without supervision. If you even want to continue, that is. What does Vitalsight do, by the way? Alters your perception to detect living things?" Is she dabbling in necromancy?

So he's going to lecture me about safety now? "You don't say..." she replies sarcastically, "and I WILL continue; a little sting in my eye isn't going to deter the likes of me. I'm pretty sure I've got the problem licked, so it's not like it's going to happen again. I may not be the world's best spell-crafter, but I have enough sense to make-do with what I know." The mare rubs her bad eye, "Vitalsight, essentially, is just 'blood-vision'. It helps me see the inner workings of creatures..."

"Seeing blood? Why would you want to do that? I mean, I would expect maybe Chestnut to want such a spell for diagnosis, but you? No offence intended, but you are focused on killing things. Why would you be so determined to see their blood, while it is still inside them?"

She growls lightly at his ignorance, "So that I can know for sure that they are dead when I strike them down. If you're alive, I can see your heart beating. You can't hide that from me. Plus, I can know what internal injuries or weaknesses a creatures organs may already possess. If I target those, I can end the fight more quickly. On top of that, I may also be able to see to what extent my fellow soldiers are injured. That way I can help them more effectively."

Indigo frowns. "That makes sense, although... well, casting and maintaining a spell takes some concentration. I know next to nothing about the spell from your description, but as it alters perception, the price for letting you see blood better could be making you see other things worse. I know my opinion doesn't count for much here, but to make your spell useful in combat, I think you'd have to be able to cast and maintain it almost effortlessly and be very familiar with what exactly it does for you. Otherwise using it may do you more harm than good. Not because of the spell itself, but because its side effects could result in you making mistakes. If you even get it to work without hurting your eyes, the next step would be to try to use it when sparring."

"I have used it in combat before, and I don't keep the spell activated all the time. If the first look doesn't suffice, then I start turning it on in short 'bursts' as I need it. The risk of hurting myself stems from trying to figure out how to make it work in the first place, not in practicing it after I've solidified the theory..." Sarissa's level of annoyance was increasing. Indigo was making a lot of assumptions about her ability to fight properly using magic, "If I had found this a hindrance in battle, do you think I would still be pursuing it? Not only that, but I've considered creating a second spell as well. It might not be easy, but inventing spells is rewarding for those with the patience and grit to figure them out."

Indigo frowns and nods. "Alright, it seems you're at least taking the right precautions. As for me, I was never much good at inventing spells. I can learn existing ones and with practice am able to fine-tune them for exactly the effect I need, but that's about it. I leave inventing spells to unicorns whose special talent is magic."

"Let them do all the inventing that they want to. If you're happy with only the magic you can read in books, then that's just your preference. I've never seen any instructions for getting the results that I want, so I've had to figure this stuff out mostly on my own," she sighs with lowered brows, "It's not like I know anypony in this fort who has a lot of expertise in spell-crafting." Or at least none that I'd wish to approach about the matter.

"I don't think, I can be of much use. I mean if I find the time, I could stand nearby and carry you to the hospital, or otherwise contain the damage if you botch something, but beyond that I wouldn't be of much help. I'm afraid, I also don't know of any skilled magicians in Dawnpick." Much less any, who would want to work with you.

"Thanks..." Sarissa answers with no actual appreciation in her words, "...but I think I'll be just fine."

Indigo rises his brow, nods, and they both walk downstairs in silence. As they are about to part, Indigo asks. "So... about you training with my squad. Is your offer still valid?"

She pauses for a moment in thought. Even if she had a beef with Indigo, there's no reason she couldn't help the other reserve members. "...when might you need me?"

"Three days or eight days from now would be best, apart from that, I'd need my schedule, but for the most part, I can adjust to when you have the time. Except for days when some other soldiers come to train with us, of course. I'd appreciate if you told me when you want to come at least two days in advance, instead of just showing up." answers Indigo.

"...I'll think about. You'll get your answer soon enough." Her tone is not enthusiastic.

"Thanks." Indigo nods and they part their ways.

(( Well, she comes 'three days from now' and there is probably going to be another scene about it. ))
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: June 01, 2012, 01:20:27 pm »

I meant to get to this earlier, but first a big thanks to Maklak for organizing this information.  I've added a few comments on some things I noticed here:

For a list of players controlling ponies, and which ones were renamed, see the first post.

That list is massively out of date, unfortunately.  Well, the player list is up to date I think, but the pony list is many updates old.  I'm determined to fix it after the next update, which should happen tonight barring catastrophe.

I included surnames, because some are funny. Dates of birth are included to know the age of ponies and when they can organise birthday parties. I occasionally added other comments; in particular "Young adult" are children, who have grown up in recent years. They joined the workforce, but the eldest one is 14 and it is best not to romance with them in roleplay. But then again, Firesden and Falchion are a couple in-RP and Telgin didn't scram.

Pony ages are all kinds of screwy, and I wish I'd fixed this like I intended before embarking.  Kind of late now though.  Anyway, somewhere between 5 and 6, ponies are effectively adults so it technically shouldn't matter if they romance at this point.  Strange to think about though.

And I'll admit the Friesden / Falchion thing is still kind of strange, but the players involved seem okay with it so I won't gripe.  Of course, Falchion was only 2(!) at the time, so he was even younger than I thought, but it's kind of late to change anything about it. :)

-> Peridot Willfuldawns (???) (I was unabble to acess in-game data.)

This I think I can shed some light on.  I'm pretty sure she was abducted many game years ago.

Way back when Dawnpick hit 100 ponies, it mysteriously went back to 99 and I couldn't figure out why.  I thought maybe I just imagined we hit 100 ponies, but I also suspected that it might have been an abduction, but couldn't figure out how or who it was.  Peridot never grew up though, and her information isn't available.  I'm pretty sure this is what happened to her.

It happened so long ago and was never mentioned that I decided to just sweep it under the rug.  Something like this should have gotten a lot of attention when it happened, but I goofed and missed it so it's probably for the best to ignore her very existence.  Or say she left Dawnpick peacefully at some point if it ever matters.

Lovers: 
Ashwood Wondrousbothered (PPM, 7th Opal 155)  and  Diamond Shard Mastersmiles (PPF, 26th Slate 146)
Barley Brightpeppers (EPM, 15th Opal 171) (DEAD!)  and  Sushi Wireembraces (PPF, 19th Opal 167) (Mourning?)
Castiron Kinflights (PPM, 26th Slate 161)  and  Balsa Grownlarks (UPF, 21st Malachite 157)
Cinder Charmedflicker (EPM, 17th Timber 177)  and  Alum Bulbcrested (UPF, 19th Opal 183)
Grapple Creaturerights (EPM, 5th Timber 144)  and  Quartz Riverlocks (PPF, 21st Malachite 148)
Longshot Wheatsnakes (PPM, 10th Galena 143)  and  Willow Strawdistant (PPF, 10th Slate 136)
Midnight Braidbud (EPM, 1st Timber 142)  and  Oil Macepony Mansnacks (UPF, 19th Opal 140) (??? Midnight should have no lovers ???)
Powder Miner Flingpines (EPM, 23rd Opal 162)  and  Oil Macepony Mansnacks (UPF, 19th Opal 140)
Powder Miner Flingpines (EPM, 23rd Opal 162)  and  Pewter Dressvines (PPF, 24th Obsidian 170) (??? Pewter should have no lovers ???)
Storm Cloud Buttonedmornings (PPM, 6th Moonstone 250)  and  Floral Hallblossomed (EPF, 13th Malachite 256) (Both young adults)
Wool Bridespices (UPM, 19th Felsite 176) (DEAD!)  and  Corkscrew Matchedsnack (PPF, 19th Opal 176) (Mourning?)

I finally took a moment and addressed a few things here.  Namely, I cleared it up so that Sushi is no longer mourning Barley and might take another lover.  Same with Corkscrew.  I also cleaned up Midnight's lover entry, since it shouldn't have been there any more.  I forgot to do Pewter, so I'll fix her next.

I also started working on getting Longshot to marry Willow by secluding the two together.  I didn't have the patience for Ashwood and Diamond Shard, who have also been dating for a decade, so I went ahead and changed their lover link to a marriage link.  All in the next update, of course.

I haven't yet set up Falchion and Friesden's link.  I'll wait until he's an adult.  There's another link I need to clean up for her before I can do that anyway, since she and Estoc decided to get together when they weren't supposed to.  :)

Rename Friesden to Friesden. No one uses other aliases anymore and her custom name is too long.

I used the long name like that at Dsarker's request, so if he wants me to change it I will.

There are going to be a few other shakeups in the lists above, which most of you already know about.  For those that don't, I won't spoil the surprise.  You'll see in the update tonight (hopefully).

If you want to add windows to rooms adjacent to a wall, you can do this:

That's not a bad idea and is something I might try.  I didn't get around to it in this game year, but maybe in the next one.  I also considered just putting windows in the outer wall, since they're indestructible to siegers anyway, but it does kind of grate with the RPing.

I also suggest that you put a drink stockpile in the basement of central dormitory. Now ponies need to walk a long way to get a drink.

Didn't get around to this either, but I'm starting to come around to the idea.  If nothing else I may just make another path to the kitchen area that's accessible from the dorms.

Fauchard is a cheater. Friesden has a great teacher.

Yeah, pretty much.  It seemed wrong for somepony who was supposed to be a legend to actually suck at being an axepony.  Since he's not going to actually see any action it doesn't really matter.  His teaching skill isn't bad, but it actually doesn't come into play much since he only teaches Friesden and she uses a sword.  She skilled up extremely quickly, but that was mostly due to the two of them sparring day and night for a long time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: June 01, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »

(( Captain's meeting, after Jaxler's arrest in early 262 ))

The captain's meeting begins as usual: reports, training schedules, equipment, anything dangerous spotted and so on. After all this mundane stuff is addressed, it is time for Virtue to ask "Does anypony have anything to add, or are we done here?"

Indigo rises his hoof. "Well, I'd like us to discuss a few topics. Firstly, there is an old rule about wounded soldiers getting armour upgrades. While it made sense a few years ago, when steel was scarce, now there is plenty and that rule is obsolete. Either each soldier should be provided with the best reasonable protection or getting more should be based on combat prowess, proving oneself in battle or something like that, not getting wounded."

Glaive responds, "I certainly agree that we have the materials to keep every solider in the best armor, but the rule as is allows for more than just more armor. When Falcata was injured in service to Dawnpick, Virtue had her peytrel decorated for her. Or do you not think she deserved that?"

Indigo sighs. "I don't mind a few soldiers getting extras, especially if Lady Virtue approves it. My point is that, if all the soldiers in Halberd's and Naginata's squads got heavier armour sooner, there might be fewer injuries, and Falcata did get a heavier mail shirt with all the decorations. Look, I just think that we should revise old rules from time to time, to see if they still make sense or can be improved. Maybe it would be better to change that rule or add additional ones, rather than simply scrap it. I spoke my mind, so please discuss it."

"Well I can see where Indigo is coming from in this case. New armor won't fix a lost horn or a broken wing, but it can prevent it, and that is the goal of the Military. To prevent as many injuries as possible." says Partisan.

"Actualy, Glaive had a good point," Halberd adds. "Bardiche might be an idiot getting hurt like he did, but by the rules he's supposed to get some decorations added to his armor. Stiletto too, after her encounter with that giant snake underground." He looks at Virtue disapprovingly. "That's way overdue for Badiche."

Indigo almost facehoofs, but just sighs instead. "I really don't think getting wounded should be grounds for getting a reward, but looks like I'm in the minority here. We have the resources, so... fine, I will speak no more of it as long as soldiers are provided adequate protection."

(( Telgin says: It's supposed to be an analog of the Purple Heart, but whether that's appropriate or not for this I have no idea. It's what I'm going with anyway. :) ))

Halberd snorts, but says nothing further. Virtue frowns, and jots something down on a sheet. "It is the rule... I'll talk to the metal workers about it right away, Halberd. Anyway, I think Indigo is right. All of the militia have full suits of steel armor now, but some of them are still wearing older equipment that Billows could do much better than now. We're swimming in smelted steel and iron, so I think it might be a good idea for Billows to start work on some newer equipment for them. If we do end up needing it, I'd hate to know we could have done better..." Halberd grunts in approval and leans back in his chair.

After the verdict is reached, Indigo speaks again. "Another matter is the recent arrest. It went rather poorly and while it is Jaxler's fault for resisting, it was a screw-up and as such, an opportunity to revise our procedures and to see what went wrong and how to fix it."

"I don't see what is wrong with our current arrangement. Minus some bad choices on my part, we have been able to work well with what we have. Plus, the case with Jaxler was..." Partisan pauses for a second until he finds the right words, "an abnormal circumstance in itself".

Indigo rises his brow. "I believe we should prepare for some abnormal circumstances. Such as arresting dangerous criminals, or maybe trying to take some intruders alive. For one, I'm quite surprised, why our police force uses crossbows. Not that we don't need a squad of soldiers with ranged weapons, but it should be quite obvious, that they are poor choice if you want to take somepony alive. Most places use blunt weapons to knock out the wind out of assailants, and break a few bones at worst. What can you do with a crossbow, if you don't want to wound or kill? Aim for the legs?"

"Training to use a hammer or mace would take time and crossbows can work fine as weapons themselves. Build one sturdy enough, and they can crack a bone without breaking itself. Plus, its the best method of detainment we have thus far." answers Partisan.

Fauchard, having been mostly quiet thus far speaks up. "I disagree Indigo. A crossbow is probably the best weapon for the guard. If they need to kill something or somepony dangerous, then it is a good weapon, capable of killing even a pony in full steel plate at a distance, it can also strike at range to wound a fleeing criminal, and by simply turning it around it can be an effective bludgeon for use in melee. This is especially true of a metal one. It might not be the best tool for that job, but it's flexibility is undeniable."

"True, Jaxler used his crossbow for sparring and it hurt," admits Indigo. "The arrest proves however, that there is an even better method of arresting ponies. The tactics of a few unicorns holding a culprit down until they either choke him or knock him unconscious works quite well. Me and Oil Macepony used to do something similar to Jaxler during our sparring, but he usually managed to escape or at least hit us back and it always pissed him off too. With Sarissa it was much easier, and Stiletto can do it alone, so I recommend to normally use three unicorns to take a pony prisoner. I suggest that we organize a cross-squad training in performing arrests for unicorns and make a rule, that the guard captain can temporarily draft any soldier to his squad, when he needs to arrest a dangerous criminal."

"I guess I can see how that's better. Plus, the ability to change my squad depending on the situation might help a bit." agrees Partisan.

Glaive speaks up again, "The point about using magic to restrain ponies is a good one, but Partisan, I would suggest you keep private Sarissa away from future arrests, she is a capable fighter, but she is also a violent sociopath. Despite what she claims now, I have no doubt she would have slain Jaxler and put his skull on display, had Falcata not intervened."

Indigo interrupts. "I've talked with Sarissa and she was just going to knock Jaxler out. If you want a proof, her first strike broke his wing, but didn't leave a cut, which means she hit him with the blunt side of her axe. In fact it was Falcata, who interrupted her and thus gave Jaxler more time to wound the rest of us. I was there, didn't any of you read my testimony?"

Glaive responds, "Of course I read your testimony," he starts sounding a bit insulted, "And I told you, I don't care what statement she gave, I don't believe it. The axe may have been grasped by magic but that doesn't mean it's direction couldn't have changed if her concentration was messed with, which it was."

Indigo sees no way to convince Glaive and has no intention to antagonise him further. He is loyal to his wife. The blue pony lets out a sigh. "So, I suppose, Glaive is right for the wrong reason. Yes, keep Sarissa out of police duties, but only because some ponies are afraid that she will hurt them given the chance, not because she is actually going to do it."

Glaive looks to be ready to respond to Indigo's words when Fauchard looking a bit concerned steps up, to get the conversation back on track. "I don't know if it is a good idea to give the guard captain such power over the militia." he begins cutting his son off, "Commanding the militia is Halberd's job, and Partisan shouldn't have such power over Halberd's soldiers. No offense to you Partisan, but isn't that a bit too much of a centralization of power? If Partisan needs assistance from the military for an arrest, he should go through their Commander, or the Duchess."

Halberd's expression turns a bit sour and he says, "No, we need to keep the two forces separate. I'm responsible for the militia and Partisan is responsible for the guard." He looks at the pegasus captain and adds, "If you want to train some of the civilian unicorns or somepony from the reserve to add to the guard to help out, that's your decision. I think it's best if you keep to just flying ponies, but it's your choice."

Naginata nods. "Unicorns could be useful for magical detainment, but one of the whole reasons we formed the guard in the first place and made the pegasus only rule, was so they could fly to any threat quickly. An alicorn would work too, of course, but Stiletto is already a militia pony and Moral... well, I'm not going there." She looks at Indigo. "Maybe we should just train some of the reserve to assist in that case? You and Oil Macepony are unicorns, and you seemed to handle yourself well during the incident anyway."

Yeah, I stayed out of trouble. "Well, me and Oil Macepony sort of trained this already, but we never managed to hold Jaxler immobile for long. We can slow him down easily and hold him in place with some effort, though. As you know, any of you can assume command over me and my squad at any time. As long as Partisan has a relatively quick way to ask for more support if he ever needs it, I think we're fine." says Indigo.

Halberd nods. "That would be best I think. We need some way to communicate between squads, but we should keep things mostly like they are otherwise. How we do that, I have no idea. Some magical thing maybe, I'm no unicorn."

"While we are on the topic of what went wrong, we should develop a triage and have a procedure on helping the wounded." proposes Partisan.

Indigo nods. "That's a very good idea. While there were some accidents, most wounded ponies, were hurt in a battle. Normally you want to move the wounded to the hospital as soon as possible, but under some circumstances it may be better to give them first aid on the spot. Somepony may also be forced to decide, who to help first. I had all my squad learn these things from Panacea for two weeks after we found wounded Kit in the caverns and we carry around some bandages and other healing supplies. I recommend that all squads do the same and have a dedicated pony with some more medical knowledge."

"Now that is something I can get behind," Halberd says, his expression brightening a bit. "Now that we finally have somepony else to help Panacea, maybe she or Chestnut can help actually train militia ponies in first aid."

"Yes, that's an excellent idea, Indigo," Naginata adds. "Things have been a bit slow in training lately anyway, since we don't seem to be imminently at war like we thought. Taking some down time to teach a few troops how to treat some injuries would be an excellent use of time."

"The only question then is who," Halberd adds himself. "I'd prefer if it was unicorns learning. Panacea is a good doctor, but already Chestnut is as useful as she is, just because of her magic. I'll have to look at the rosters and figure it out. I'd recommend Kukri if she wasn't such a fine soldier already, I hate to take her away from teaching the newcomers.  Sarissa isn't cut out for this, so she's out. I don't know, I'll have to think about it. Really, everypony learning the basics wouldn't be a bad idea if Panacea can spare the time."

"Or," Partisan chimes in as the idea pops into his head, "This is just a fresh and new idea, but, it can give the reserves a bit more purpose in the front lines. Why not cross train them as medics? The last meeting we had, it was said that they reserves weren't much use, no offense Indigo, so, this could be the roll they play. They already know how to defend themselves, so we don't have to teach them that. All they really lack is medical knowledge, which they can gain working part time with Panacea. That also means she can have more hooves to help when she needs them."

Indigo frowns. "Well, as to that, we can clean and suture cuts and dress wounds, but there is not much else we could do in the field. Setting broken bones needs either splints, or casts. We can make a primitive splint out of some sticks and cloth, put that on a broken leg and carefully carry the wounded off the battlefield, but that's about it. Using the 'transmute to wood' spell to make a cast out of some plants would be a last resort. Surgery requires extensive knowledge and learning medical spells takes months. Plus well, neither me nor Jaxler don't exactly have the kind of endearing personality, you'd want to see in a healer and I don't think ponies would trust us to treat them if they have a choice. Oil Macepny, maybe. The fact that we spent some time helping butchers an burrying the dead doesn't help much either. I can talk to Panacea and use some of our time to rehearse what we already know about first aid, but I really don't see what my squad could do beyond it."

Virtue nods and scribbles down the decision. "I think it's a good idea. Something to consider anyway. I'll talk with Panacea and Chestnut about it later this afternoon. They may want to have a third set of hooves helping them out if they're going to be helping to teach ponies, but I'm sure she'll agree to do what she can. I'm sure at least one or two ponies in the reserve being trained for this sort of thing would be appropriate anyway."

"It's more than anypony in the militia knows how to do right now," Halberd admits begrudgingly. "It would give the reserves more to do if we get in a real fight. Instead of just standing by looking for trouble they could be watching for injuries and have something useful they can do other than just drag them back to Panacea. Any knowledge on how to staunch bleeding would be helpful."

"Indeed," Naginata adds. "I think we should definitely look into this. It's something we should probably have done a long time ago."

After the meeting is concluded, Indigo goes to talk to the medical ponies. Panacea and Chestnut are both happy to help out. They haven't been very busy lately, and take some time every week to show a few of the soldiers the basics on how to staunch bleeding and apply temporary dressings to wounds. More advanced things like setting bones or surgery are beyond what can be done reasonably in a battlefield situation, and so they emphasize treating blood loss and shock first, getting the wounded to the hospital second, and anything else as a last resort.

-------------------------

Right after the captain's meeting, Indigo goes to the hospital to discuss his squad learning more about first aid. "I've just talked to other squad captains about a few things and they decided, that my squad is going to take care of helping any ponies wounded in battle. We know the basics already, but we could always learn more." At the cost of other things, such as sparring. "Some other soldiers are going to come here to learn bandaging wounds as well."

Panacea smiles and replies, "Of course, we'd love to help. Things have been pretty slow lately, so taking some time to teach a few of the troops a bit of first aid would be welcome. The reserves already know a bit, but Chestnut is here now so she might be able to show them a thing or two about magical healing as well."

"Well, I can try to teach them a little..." Chestnut says. "It takes a long time to learn how to do anything complicated, but I think it would be easy enough to teach them some pain control or slow bleeding spells if anypony is interested."

Panacea nods. "Naturally, anypony can learn to dress a wound, and that's infinitely better than not doing anything. But sure, we'd love to help."

Indigo frowns and nods. "Yes, spells to reduce bleeding and pain do seem to be the best choice. Alright then, me and Oil Macepony are going to learn them. Zaeroth... well, I'll find him something else do in the meantime. Will you be needing any help in the hospital, in case of an emergency?"

"Yes, well, it is just the two of us, but I've been showing my son Lancet a few things about first aid too. If we get in a pinch, he can help us out. He might be able to assist with the teaching as well." says Panacea.

"I'll take that as a 'no'. If you ever need any of us though, just ask. See you soon." says Indigo as he leaves.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: June 02, 2012, 12:32:21 am »

Many apologies for this being weeks late.  Busy doesn't begin to describe what I've been lately.  Furthermore, I had to trim this off a bit at the end, because we haven't finalized exactly how something important will play out in RP and I don't want to contradict it here.  Accordingly, I'll be posting another shorter update including it plus a little more early next week, and will include the save with that post.

Virtue's Diary - 19th Slate, 262

I was beginning to think we were going to finish sealing off the caverns without any further incidents, but I was told that a giant monstrosity was spotted far off in the distance in the caverns.  A massive flying lizard of some sort.  If it strays too close to the encampment, it could fly right inside.

Partisan and his mares are all standing by, along with the militia as backup.  I'm very, very worried.

27th Slate, 262

A week has passed, but so far the thing hasn't wandered too close.  Maybe we'll make it out of this without any trouble, but I'm not getting too complacent just yet.  The guardsmares are all standing guard on the walls, and are ready to strike at a moment's notice if they're called on.

28th Slate, 262

It finally happened.  Jaxler assaulted Jury, and now she put him in jail.  Normally I would think Jury's sentence was too severe, knowing her, but in this case I think I agree with her for the most part.  He attacked her because she was holding his crossbow, and in the end she and Partisan were wounded, and Kat and Granite were nearly killed.  It's ludicrous, and he's getting what he deserves.

I need some time to cool off before I see him.  I'm not in a mood to talk to him rationally.  Maybe I should see Kat and Granite in the hospital and make sure they're alright first.  That will probably help calm me down, unlesss Panacea has bad news...

21st Hematite, 262

Well, we did it, somehow.  Mortar came to me today and said we managed to completely finish the walls sealing off a small section of the cavern.  It's not a lot, but we have access to gold ores and some underground plants, as well as spider silk.  I think it will be enough, but if we ever have to explore further we'll have to build another monster trap.  I don't want to start on that just yet, since we've got a lot of other things we need to divert our attention to.

But for now, I think it's high time the masons got some time off to relax and be proud of the work they've done.

28th Hematite, 262

One of the main reasons I didn't want to spend time setting up a new trap in the upper caverns is because we've been busy working on one for the lower caverns.  We finally finished that today, with Flux stopping by my office to let me know the last of the spears were hooked up to the mechanisms as it's ready to use when we need it.

Hopefully we won't need to any time soon, but if we do, at least we have the option.

4th Malachite, 262

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now, but today we officially started on a new bedroom for my guard captain and his family.  I was afraid to do this for a while, since I didn't want ponies to think I'm playing favorites... but it's been nagging at me for a while now.  He and Falcata have served Dawnpick with such dedication, and have put themselves into protecting me with as much enthusiasm.  I think they've earned it.

It won't be ready for a while yet, but I hope he'll be glad to hear the news.  I suppose I won't be able to keep it a secret when he sees the construction work, so I'll have to let him in on it when he shows up for work in the morning.  I'm pretty excited about it!

13th Malachite, 262

Already I'm glad that we've set up that trap in the lower caverns.  We had a monster set off the early warning traps, and from what we can tell it's enormous and very heavy even for its size.  If it gets too close we'll be able to handle it though, I have no doubt.

15th Malachite, 262

Moral was the next pony to cross Jury, but yet again I don't disagree with her decision to lock him up.  If what she said is true, and I do believe her, he could have killed her or somepony else with the fire he was conjuring.  How he learned to do that I don't know, but he frightens me to the core.  He's clearly not entirely sane, and possessed of a lot of magical power.  It's a scary thought.

For now he's being held in one of the jail cells, which prevent him from using his magic at least.  He'll be released eventually though, and when that happens, history may repeat itself.  I dearly hope not.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

17th Malachite, 262

I'm having pretty mixed emotions about today.  First, the sad news, I suppose.

I was headed to the dining hall today when I saw Chic standing off near the pastures crying to herself with a few of her friends.  When I got close I saw what it was.  Her pet goat, which came with her to Dawnpick, died today.  I haven't had a pet since I was a little filly, but I didn't need to see her tears to know how much it must have hurt.  I feel pretty bad for her, but I'll do everything I can to make it easier for her.  I've already talked with the miners and masons and set aside an area to be dug out for a crypt for the pets of Dawnpick.  A proper burial is all I can do, but I will see that it's done.

Otherwise, I was happy to see two little colts become stallions today.  First was Crimson, who joined the smelters and furnace operators.  That's something we always need more of, so I'm sure he'll be busy helping out.

Second, my little Valor is a stallion today.  We've been talking with him for a few months about what he wanted to do when he grew up, but he had a bit of trouble thinking of something.  In the end, he decided he wanted to be like his father and will be helping him work the fields.  I know Harvest Moon will be happy to have him working alongside him, and I'm happy to see him working one of the safer professions in town.

Overall, it was a nice celebration for the two, and I'm sure they'll both be happy with where their lives lead them.

21st Malachite, 262

It took a little longer to finish than I expected, but the pet cemetery is finished today.  We've been keeping Chic's pet goat on ice to keep him ready for burial, which we did today.  Chic already looked better, but she's had a few days to come to terms with it.

At least now we won't have to worry about burying ponies' loved pets in the future.

The area on the left with the most coffins is the pet cemetery.  I felt particularly bad for Chic when this happened, since my pet cat died like the day before.  Poor pony, I know what you went through. :(

27th Malachite, 262

It was quite some time ago when Gregor sent word back to his associates to send some of his personal guards to help bolster our defenses.  I admit I wasn't sure if I should accept at the time, given the possible political repercussions, but it's a completely personal matter, and I suppose he can have personal guards here in Dawnpick if he wants them anyway.  In any case, a squad showed up today:

A gorlak stallion(?) named Kor'tann
A unicorn stallion named Prickly Pear
A unicorn mare named Desert Rose
A darkbolt stallion named Fyodor
A zebra stallion named Mbalo
And a slippy pony mare(?) named Tikkiri

They're all equipped with some moderate armor and crossbows, so I'll see about giving them permission to train in our barracks.  Halberd probably won't like it... but I don't want to turn down the offer for help just yet.

In reality they're all regular ponies of course.  I might be able to change the actual castes, but that would probably introduce stability problems if I did.

1st Galena, 262

It's been a while since one of the adults was taken by these moods, but today was Marbles' turn.  He was hunkered down in his glass furnace when I was headed to the dining hall this morning, and Naginata and their children were all standing around him.  I don't think I've ever seen her so worried, except maybe when her children were hurt.

I reassured her he'd be fine, as everypony else has been so far.  He seemed to be organizing a few things he grabbed at the time, so he'll probably get to work on something marvelous soon.

11th Galena, 262

As I predicted, the trap in the lower caverns dealt with the monster without trouble.  It was indeed enormous and somehow composed of solid amber, but nevertheless the steel spears destroyed it and it will trouble us no longer.  Good riddance.

Otherwise, we had a zebra caravan arrive today, and Rose handled the trading.  She handled things about like I usually did, and traded away about 75,000 bits worth of old green glass windows and some of Skillet's best food for a lot of exotic ores, some wooden furniture for the new bedrooms, a fair bit of exotic cheeses and drink.  The zebras made a very nice profit, but I'm proud of Rose so far.  She's taking to her new job very well.

22nd Galena, 262

Marbles finished what he was working on today, which turned out to be an astounding glass animal trap.  I don't know how much use we'll get out of it, but it truly is a work of art, and Marbles should be proud.

22nd Limestone, 262

I knew Panacea had to be getting close to her due date in the past few weeks, and today she gave birth to her second son.  She and Saw Dust named the little pegasus colt High Hopes, which sounds like a fine name.  He's an adorable little colt, and Panacea and Saw Dust were both beaming.  Well, Panacea was exhausted, of course, but at least she had Chestnut to help her through it.

And thankfully Chestnut will be there to help keep things in order while she takes some time to recover.  Thankfully they've been pretty unoccupied as of late, so I'm sure she can handle it alone.

25th Limestone, 262

I was a bit surprised to see a new group of ponies arrive at the gates around lunch time today.  At first I thought Coupledye had sent more soldiers for our protection, but it turns out they sent mostly masons and carpenters.  To help bolster our defenses, I suppose.  Here's who arrived today:

A unicorn mare mason named Breccia
A pegasus mare carpenter named Acacia
A pegasus stallion carpenter named Band Saw
An earth pony stallion mason named Cobblestone
An earth pony stallion named Generic

The last one, Generic... he claims he can do a little of everything.  We'll see what he can help out with.  In the mean time, I think we'll be setting the new arrivals to work building some new housing for themselves.  We've run short again, with the new ponies arriving.  At least there's room to sleep in the hospital in the mean time.

12th Sandstone, 262

It took long enough, but the masons set the last block into place on Glaive's new bedroom at the top of the tower.  In hindsight it would probably have made more sense to move to the new floor and let his family have our old bedroom, so intruders would have to come through them to get to us, but it's a bit late for that now.

We set aside a little less than half of the floor for room for Fauchard and Friesden too.  It was something he requested when we were still early into the construction, and I can see why he might want his father and his adopted daughter nearby as well.

I hope they're all happy with it.  I think it turned out quite well.

The room on the left is for Glaive, Falcata, Falchion and Balison.  The smaller room on the right is for Fauchard and Friesden.  The whole floor was going to be Glaive's family's, but this works too. And they've already strewn their socks all over the floor.  :)

We also spent some time reorganizing a lot of the workshops, following some suggestions Amor and Indigo made some time ago.  We've relocated a lot of things to be closer to the workshops, and set up new stockpiles here and there to keep fuel and other ingredients closer.  The workers should be much happier with the arrangements when we're all done.

13th Sandstone, 262

Another of Naginata's children grew up today.  Estoc is a stallion today, and like his older brother he followed his mother's hoofsteps and joined the militia under Halberd today.  He's a strong young stallion, and I know he'll do his mother proud.  I heard Halberd complaining about his playful personality, but I've seen how serious Estoc can be.  I'm not worried about him at all, I know he'll do well.

19th Sandstone, 262

Another month, another giant monster from below setting off the early warning system.  It will have to come through our trap to get to us, so I'm not too worried, but I have to wonder if we'll ever be rid of them completely.

Other than that, most of the past few weeks have been dedicated to finishing up the relocating of the workshops and stockpiles.  We've been focusing on the craftshops now, and have mostly got them moved.  While we were at it, we also took apart the old catapult, since nopony has used it in years and it's not doing us much good.

You can kind of get a feel for the changes I made here.  I didn't follow Maklak's guidelines exactly, but it's a similar idea.

We also set up a full bakery and butter churn near the kitchen, something Brownie Bits has been asking for one for a while now.  I'm anxious to see what she and the other cooks come up with.

25th Sandstone, 262

Yet another underground monster.  It can't get to us either, so I'm still not too concerned.  We should probably arm and use the traps before too many show up though.

11th Timber, 262

We had another foal join the workforce today.  Tangerine is a mare today, and she went off to join Skillet and Brownie Bits to learn a thing or two about cooking for everypony.  The party was quite nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing her help cater the next one!

3rd Moonstone, 262

It took a lot longer than it should have, but we finally managed to get around to decorating Stiletto, Bardiche and Kit's peytrals to signify the wounds they've suffered in the defense of Dawnpick.  Stiletto will probably opt to keep her new armor in lieu of taking the older decorated peytral, but it's hers to remember her sacrifice by.  I still feel bad for her after what happened, but she's coping well at least.  She's a very strong mare.  I wish I could be as strong as she is.

Anyway, we also started on the new watch tower overlooking the entrance to the city.  There will be a new barracks for the guard there, so they can train and make some room for the militia in the main barracks.  It's going to take a while to finish, but I think it will be worth the effort.

16th Moonstone, 262

We had two of the children reach adulthood today, and the celebration thrown by the parents was a nice distraction from the day-to-day here.  I was glad to see Tangerine was indeed getting used to her new job!  Anyway, Alpine and Cypress are both stallions today, and spent some time with the wood cutters and miners respectively to get started on their new professions.

24th Moonstone, 262

The tower didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, since Mortar decided to integrate it into the gatehouse.  He ended up just adding a new floor and surrounding the overlook with crenelations so the guard can fire safely while still covering most of the entrance to the town.  It was a good compromise on materials and time I think.

I could have made it larger or segregated it into a distinct structure, but this was quick, it gets the guard out of the main barracks, and didn't take as many blocks.

We also had another new addition to the weapon smiths today.  Summer is a mare now, and she has wanted to help out the smiths for a long time.  Castiron has handled all of the weapon smithing we've done so far, but Summer will be helping out now.  We don't produce an awful lot of weapons right now, but Coupledye is interested in any we make, so we can step up production a bit now.

8th Opal, 262

We haven't had a lot of children be born these last few years, but Glaze had another son today.  I stopped by the hospital this afternoon to check up on her and saw the little pegasus myself.  Nimbus, they named him.  He was a cute little thing, and I could see the joy in his parent's eyes.  Glaze has far more children than I do, I don't know how she can keep up!

We had another very happy occasion today.  Today, finally, Ashwood married Diamond Shard.  The two have been dating off and on for close to a decade now, but they finally decided to make it official.  I'm very happy for the couple.  I regret that I haven't spent much time with Ashwood these past few years, considering he's one of my oldest friends in Dawnpick.

In any case, he and his new wife will be starting a new life together, and I couldn't be happier for them.  I've seen to it that they and Glaze will have some time off, to spend some time together and to recuperate, respectively.

Moar hacking at work.  I got tired of them not being married yet, so I fixed it.

23rd Opal, 262

Poor Naginata just had to deal with her husband being involved with one of these strange moods and now her son Verdant Flash is possessed by the same thing.  He's in one of the craftshops now, working over some wood he grabbed.  She's standing watch over him now, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Speaking of Naginata, we also finished expanding the barracks somewhat today.  The wall separating the armory and the barracks was torn down to make more room to train in, and the armory was relocated to the second floor.  Halberd was quite pleased, I think.

Bottom floor on the left, upper floor on the right.

2nd Obsidian, 262

Verdant Flash finished what he was working on this afternoon, which turned out to be a rather amazing bracelet.  We don't have much use for it, so it's his to keep and use however he sees fit.  Maybe he'll get a fillyfriend one day and can give it to her?

17th Obsidian, 262

Yet another monster turned up in the caverns today.  We've been pretty distracted by everything to the point we haven't yet used the traps to deal with the beasts already down there.  From what the mechanics tell me, it shouldn't really matter if we trap two or three at a time though.  We really must do something soon.

18th Obsidian, 262

The caravan from home turned up today, and Rose took over handling the trading as usual.  We traded away about 70,000 bits worth of food and steel for some leather, cloth, raw wood, a few pet rabbits, some thread and a bit of exotic ores and food.  Again, I'm proud of Rose for how she's handled the trading so far.

I also spoke with the liaison, and he says that everything is in order.  I requested that they bring a few special ores and more wood next year, since we run through it faster than I can believe.

19th Obsidian, 262

Aside from the rainbow pony merchants who were killed a few years ago, I think today is the bloodiest day Dawnpick has ever seen.

I suppose we should have expected this after what's happened most years in the past, but a group of badger ponies and diamond dogs showed up after the caravan.  The first was killed by the trap network, and the guard immediately responded.

Kit, Kat and Yari killed a second badger pony who strayed too close to the gates by beating it to death with their crossbows.  Partisan's report goes into quite a bit of detail... they broke his spine and crushed his skull... I'm glad I wasn't there.  Kit got a bad cut to her wing during the fight, but Panacea already has her patched up.

Yari went on to shoot a diamond dog dead, while Saber killed another.  All in all, I'm very proud of the guard's performance.

Somehow though, one of the badger ponies managed to slip through the gates while the guard returning and encountered Alpine.  Thank goodness he had his axe with him.  He actually managed to kill the badger pony on his own.

Gregor's body guards managed to slay yet another badger pony, but the last I regret to say got the jump on them.  Fyodor, the darkbolt stallion, was killed when the badger pony stabbed him in the back of the skull.  He must have been lucky and hit the gap where the pony's aventail connected to his helmet, but how it happened is irrelevant.  He's dead now.  Mbalo, the zebra among them, killed the badger pony in return.

I feel awful for Gregor and his soldiers.  I know this pony had to mean something to him even if the other rainbow ponies were of no relation to him.  I've offered our burial facilities to him, at least until he can decide what to do about the situation.

I think I'm going to bed early tonight.  I don't feel like dwelling on this too much right now.  There will be a lot of time for that in the morning.

I'm a moron and yet again forgot to take screenshots of the battle as it unfolded.  All of the reports and everything are long gone, of course. :(

2nd Granite, 263

Jaxler was released from prison today.  After spending so long in prison for what he did, I hope he learned a lesson or two.  I've calmed down significantly on the matter since he was originally jailed, but I still think it was all appropriate.  I imagine he'll want his crossbow back, and I'm not sure how that's going to play out.  Halberd had it placed in the armory and probably won't want to give it back, at least not in working order.

I fear more conflict will spawn from this soon... but maybe I'm just being paranoid.  Halberd can rub somepony the wrong way, but he's not violent needlessly.  I just hope Jaxler won't start something.  After so long in jail... I can hope he's learned to think a bit more before acting.

Maybe I should do something about this first, but I just don't know what.  I'm too tired to think about it right now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:42:38 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: June 02, 2012, 02:14:31 am »

((I kinda had this scene started up a few days before the update, and I'd prefer to ignore the bit about Jaxler's crossbow being in the armory.))

and Marilee

Jaxler walked straight for Partisan’s office with Marilee. He needed to know if he’s most prized possession was still safe. It didn’t take much time at all for Jaxler to get to the office, and once he got there he just rushed on in, and didn’t even bother to knock. “Partisan, can you give me my crossbow back, along with the contents of my coffer?”

“Sure.” Said The Pegasus, as he walked over to a corner in his office. “Though I apologize that the coffer was broken into.”

“Did Jury do anything harmful to my belongings?”

“I didn’t even give her authorization to touch it. It was evidence and she was the victim after all.” After opening a hidden compartment that was once filled with booze, Partisan produced a wooden crossbow and carefully handed it over to its recipient, then quickly diving back in to retrieve the rest of his trinkets.

Marilee leans in to examine the magnificent weapon. “Wow... it’s beautiful, Jaxler.”

Jaxler sighed in relief the moment he got his crossbow back in how hooves. He then looked it over, making sure it wasn’t damaged in any way. Once the stallion finally decided it was unharmed he sighed again. “It is, isn’t it.” Jaxler then looked over to Partisan. “Can I have a bin for those items?”

Partisan looked around in the stash to see if he had one, but was only able to give him a sorrowful sigh.
“I have a used barrel, if you want that. But your things might have a cidery smell afterward. Sorry.”

Jaxler sighed and took the barrel. After putting all his items in it, he slung his crossbow across his back and went for the door. “See ya later Partisan.” Jaxler the held the door open for Marilee.

Marilee trots out the door and waits for Jaxler to join her. “That went very well. So, where to now?”

Jaxler came out the door. “Well, I should get this stuff back over back to my house, and then we could go out drinking.”

“Okay. Should I wait for you, then?”

“Sure... I guess I could meet you in the meeting hall.“

“I’ll see you there.” Marilee gave Jaxler one last hug before trotting off.

Jaxler took his items back to his apartment. he hadn’t been there in months and didn’t know what to expect. once he entered he was shocked to see the place ransacked. Apparently the guard had been less than covert in searching his room, and to make things worse his coffer had been smashed open. Jaxler sighed and just dropped the barrel on the ground. The pony didn’t want to deal with this right now, so he didn’t and just walked off to the meeting hall. Upon entering he saw Marilee off by a table. Jaxler trotted over. “Aye Marilee.”

Marilee stood as he approached, smiling. “Hey, Jaxler. I saved a table for us.”

Jaxler took a seat. “Thanks. So, should I go get some drinks?”

“Yeah. Could you see if you can find something with strawberries for me? I-If it’s not too much trouble, that is.”

“I think I can get you something like that.” Jaxler then got up went to go get some drinks. When he came back he had two barrels of booze and two mugs. One being moonshine and the other one being strawberry wine. “So, this one would be for you” said Jaxler as he pointed toward one of the barrels.

Marilee’s eyes went wide as Jaxler set a whole  barrel of strawberry wine before her. “Oh, wow... t-thank you.” She took one of the mugs and filled it, taking a slow sip.

Jaxler filled his own mug with moonshine and sipped it as well. “Man, It’s great to finally be out of that nasty cell.”

“I can imagine. Where I come from, even prisoners get a little time out in the sun each day. Being locked in a cage for almost a year...”

“Yeah, I’m amazed I didn’t get cave adapted with whole lack of sunlight.” Jaxler then took another sip of booze. “But I guess I could have been worse.”

“And at least you’re not so bothered by small spaces, right?”

“Well, it’s not so much small spaces as it is being trapped, but yeah. I’m really not all too bothered by it now.”

“That’s good to hear. As bad as it was, you came out better for it, at least a little bit.” Marilee took another sip, savoring the tartness of the strawberries.

“Well, I guess you have point there.” Jaxler then took another swig of moonshine. “So, anything interesting happen to you recently?”

“Not really.” She answered, draining her mug and filling it again. “Things are awfully quiet around here, though it seems like everypony is really worried about an invasion...”

“Invasion aye? Meh, that carvan incident was a while ago and still no armed forces have shown up. For all we know the people we offended might have just stopped caring.” Jaxler then finishes his cup as well and refills it.

“I’m not so sure...” Marilee said, taking a much deeper drink than before.

****A mug or three later...****

Jaxler was having a good time right now. He was trying to stay about as drunk as Marilee was. which proved to be a very interesting drinking game, and by now half his barrel had been emptied.”SO, MAaaarliee how’s da’ wine?”

Marilee giggled cheerfully, ”O-ooooh, it’s... quite love-ley, Jaxxy.” She, on the other hand, had barely made a dent in the contents of her barrel, and yet was already quite tipsy.

“dat’z good. You seeeeem to be enjoying it, Maaaarilee”

Marilee nodded cheerfully, making herself rather dizzy.

“Dat’z good. yeeeaaahhhh...” Jaxler then downed an entire mug of moonshine. “You havings a ghood time?”

“Mmm-hmm... real nishe time!”

“Dat’z good!”

****The next morning****

Jaxler woke up in a nice comfy bed. He didn’t remember much about last night and had a horrible headache. To make things even stranger, Jaxler didn’t recognize the room he was in, and Marilee was in the same bed as Jaxler and was snuggled up to the confused stallion. The mare was smiling and completely asleep.”Um... Marilee?”

Marilee did not wake, instead she snuggled up closer to Jaxler, stretching a wing over his side.

Of all the strange places Jaxler had woken up, this was by far at the top of the list. “Marilee?” The pony started to prod the mare’s wing with his hoof in hopes of awakening her.

Slowly, Marilee woke. She yawned and stretched, eyes still closed, and settled her legs
aroung Jaxler’s neck. “Mmm, Starkey...” All at once, her smile faded. “Wait... Starkey?” Her eyes snapped open. “J-Jaxler!?”

“uh... Aye Marilee...” this was by far the strangest place Jaxler had ever woken up.

“W-We’re... in my room... you’re in my bed!” Her face turns a shade of pink bright enough to show through her fur.

“Um, it would appear so...”

“O-Oh Sisters, d-did w-we... i-in front of m-my...”

A feminine voice speaks from behind Jaxler. “Well, no, hun. You were both fast asleep as soon as you hit the covers.”

this was by far the strangest place Jaxler will ever wake up in. “um.... Hey...” greeted Jaxler to the voice coming from behind him.

“Hey yourself.” Jaxler turned to see an older pegasus mare, with a sandy coat and a mane with streaks of every color. She approached the bed, a wide grin spreading across her face. “So... this would be the ‘Jaxler’ character I never stop hearing about?”

“yeah, um... I take it your Marilee’s mother.” Jaxler was feeling awkward.

“Aye. Germaine Spreadstyled.” She bowed briefly.

“Misses Spreadstyled, why aren’t you mad that I woke up in your daughter's bed with your daughter cuddled up to me?”

“Well, my husband and I were here when the two of you wandered in, hammered out of your minds. That set off a few alarm bells, especially when you made for the bed, but you were both snoring as soon as you laid hoof on the sheets.”

“So, you’re not mad that I slept in your house?”

“Not particularly. You haven’t harmed anything, And Mari seems to trust you well enough.”

“Well, thanks.” Jaxler honestly expected to have to jump out the window before Marilee’s parents tried to kill him. “uh, do you know where my crossbow is?”

“Oh, that? You just dropped it by the door when you came in. I set it up there.” She pointed to the weapon, sitting atop a dresser in the corner. “Seems a shame to treat such an exquisite piece of craftsmanship like that.”

Jaxler sighed once he realized his crossbow was safe.“Sorry, I probably wouldn’t have dropped it if I wasn’t drunk.”

“Yes, about that...” As she said this, Jaxler became aware of a quiet whimpering at his side. He turned back to see Marilee with her eyes shut tight, clutching her head in her hooves.

“Marilee, are you okay?” said Jaxler

“N-No... ooooh...” Germaine made her way around to Marilee’s side of the bed, nuzzling her daughter gently. “Ooh, Mari... your father will be back soon, with something for your head.”

Jaxler put his foreleg around Marilee, in hopes of comforting her. She probably wasn’t used to being hung over. “Sorry, I probably should have warned you about hangovers.”

“s’okay... my own fault... for drinking so much...”

“No, I should have warned you.” said Jaxler

Marilee managed to smile weakly at him, taking his hoof in hers. “You’re... a sweet buck, Jaxler.”

“Is there anything I can do?” asked Jaxler

“Just... stay here, for a little while?”

“I promise to stay here as long like.” Jaxler then looked around the room. It was probably best if he shut all the windows blinds. “You okay if I shut all of the blinds?”

“T-Thanks...” she mutters. “S-So... you have to... deal with this... every morning?”

Jaxler got out of bed and closed the room’s blinds, the room was now a lot darker. “Yes, but I have a high pain tolerance.”

As Jaxler closed the blinds, there was a knock at the door. Germaine went to open it, allowing a tall darkbolt stallion to enter with a steaming pot of beverage clutched in his teeth. “Ah, I see our two sleeping beauties are awake?” Marilee could only groan in response.

Jaxler walked back over to the bed, and sat next to marilee. “What did you bring?”

“A little something ponies drink back home. It’s supposed to help keep you awake longer, but it also helps with headaches.” He set a cup beside the bed, pouring some of the contents of the pot into it. The fluid was dark brown,almost black and had a strong smell. “Sorry hun, but I couldn’t find any milk to put in it.”

“Damn, are sure that stuff won’t kill somepony?”

“I’ve been drinking this stuff for  fourteen years, it hasn’t killed me yet.” The Stallion poured another cup and offered it to Jaxler.

Jaxler shrugged. he had drunken worse than this, so he downed the drink. “Meh, wasn’t as bad as I expected.”

Marilee reached out to take her own cup, grimacing before taking a sip. The tall darkbolt turned back to Jaxler, holding his hoof out. “Sorry, I haven’t introduced myself. Gregor Spreadstyled.”

Jaxler shook the pony’s hoof. “Jaxler blackflutes

“Ah, I figured as much. Marilee was quite excited when she learned you’d be getting out yesterday. Though,” he chuckles. “I never would have guessed she’d choose to celebrate like this.” An unamused groan comes from under the pillow.

“What’s wrong with celebrating like this? I mean I got to wake up in a nice house, and have the pleasure of meeting Marilee’s parents.”

Marilee managed to sit up a bit and smile. “Yeah. When you put it that way... I guess it was worth it.”

“So, do you feel any better now that you drank that, brown stuff?”

“A-A little better. And we call it ‘coffee’.”

“Coffee? heh, never heard of it also do you need anything else?”

Marilee shook her head. “No, I think I’ll be fine.”

“That’s good, also would you prefer if I stayed here? I don’t have a set time I need to go to work.”

“That would be... nice. Thank you.”
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: June 02, 2012, 11:10:47 pm »

Jaxler was sitting over by the cell’s bars. Somehow Silver tongue had talked him into playing a game of poker. Everypony he wanted was present in the prison. Granite, Flux, Silver Tongue and Midnight were all here. “So, now that everypony is here what type of poker should we be playing?”

Silver thinks for a moment, then says, “It’s probably best if we play five-card draw. It’s been a while for me, and I’m fairly sure Granite doesn’t know how to play Poker in the first place, and five-card’s simpler.”

Flux looks slightly nervous, though that's not very surprising.  "Draw?  Alright... but what are the stakes?  I... don't have a lot of bits..."

“What the hell is five card draw anyway?” Granite asks, without the faintest idea on how to even play poker.

“Five card draw is a variant of Poker where you draw five cards, see what you can make with them, bet and then face your hand against the other players’s. In Poker, you get several cards that can make several different hands, such as straights, royal flushes and pairs. There’re a lot of different types of hands you can get, and we can explain them soon. One of the fun things is that, with whatever we’re betting involved, we want the other players to think we have a good hand. We can bluff, and act like we have one, or just pass,” explains Silver.

“Okay, who’s gonna be the dealer and what are we going to gamble with?”

“I can be the dealer. Also, since I don’t believe any of us have money to throw at this, I was thinking we could gamble with stories, or questions. Should be fun, interesting, and not putting a dent in our wallets.”

Midnight chuckles. “That does sound like it could be fun.”

“I guess that could work. So, shall we start?”

“Let’s,” says Silver, dealing them all in.

Jaxler looks at his cards, they looked like complete crap. He placed three of his cards on the ground. “okay, I’ll take three cards.”

Granite takes a look at his cards, he has no idea what is going on. He assumes his hand is very bad and carefully observes Silver’s movements.

Midnight takes up his cards, and looks them over. No change can be seen in his expression.

Silver looks at his hand as well. His face sets into a grim, determined frown, and has no signs of changing. He looks over it carefully, sweeping his eyes slowly over the entire hand so as not to say which he was looking at (or, alternatively, saying which he’s looking at if he has a five card combo). He absentmindedly slides Jaxler his three cards, taking the three he put down onto the bottom of the deck with his hoof.

Flux raises an eyebrow at his card, but it’s hard to tell if that’s good or bad.  He places down one card.  “One for me, please.”

Silver deals Flux another in much the same manner as Jaxler’s, also sliding it with his hoof.

Flux accepts the card, giving it a quick look before placing it in the middle of his hoof of cards, though he doesn’t nod or smile.

Jaxler looks at his new cards, which could be worse. he kept his best poker face on, and showed no emotion.

Granite is still questioning what the hell he’s doing. He looks over to Jaxler, his eyes pleading for help.

Silver puts down a card, shuffles it under the deck and then draws one, all with his magic. He looks at it, and the corner of his mouth perks up a bit.

Midnight simply keeps looking over his cards, his expression unchanging.

Jaxler took note of silver’s little display, and then note of Granite, who looked like he didn’t have a clue what he had.

Silver waits, watching the others and making no other moves for cards.

Granite still has no clue what he’s even doing. He face turns from a confused look to one of frustration. “What the hell am I supposed to do with these things anyway?!”

Flux gives Granite a curious look.  “Right now?  Um... I think we’re ready to show what we have.”

“Yeah, seems like it. I’m ready to put down my cards,” says Silver.

Jaxler lays down his cards, the best thing he has is a lone ace and no pairs.

Midnight shows his cards, which happen to be a less then impressive three of a kind. The matching set only being twos.

Silver looks at Granite encouragingly. “I’m sure you have something that can beat these.”

Granite shows his own cards, and he still has no idea what they mean. The following cards are shown, a queen of diamonds, a three of spades, a three of hearts, ten of clubs, and a five of clubs.

“Pair of threes,” says Silver. “You beat Jaxler but not Midnight. Not bad.”

Flux lays down his cards, revealing a trio of 8s.

“Flux, however, did beat Midnight,” continues Silver, “but not me.” He lays down a Queen of Spades, a Jack of Spades, a 10 of Spades, a 9 of Spades and an 8 of Spades.

Flux gives a low whistle.  “A straight flush... and not far from a royal, too.”

Jaxler’s eyes widen when he sees Silver’s cards “Damn, nice hand.”

“Wow, really nice, Silver.” Midnight says as he looks the cards over.

“How does that beat three eights?” Granite asks, still moderately confused.

“Cards also count if they’re in a sequence,” Silver begins. “Say I have an ace, a two, a three a four and a five. That would top a set of three eights, but a sequence of three, four, five, six and seven would beat the first. They can be of any suit, but if they’re all the same suit it’s called a ‘Flush’, which trumps a regular sequence.”

“That seems overly complicated, but whatever... what were the wages again?” Granite asks.

“Winner gets to ask anyone else a question. So, Jaxler...” Silver says, smiling.

“Yeah?”

“How’d you become an alcoholic?” he asks.

“I started drinking.”

“I was hoping for something more descriptive.”

“One day, shit hit the fan, and I felt really crappy, so got drunk. When I was drunk I didn’t feel as bad but when I woke up the next day, I still felt like horrible so I went and got drunk again. When I woke up, I still felt horrible so I got drunk again. A year later, I still felt horrible, so I got drunk. Ten years later, I still felt horrible so I got drunk and right now I feel horrible and just want to get drunk.”

“Wow. Vicious cycle,” Silver replies.

“Meh, it isn’t that bad. I mean if didn’t have the booze to numb everything I’d probably have killed myself by now.”

Midnight winces a little at Jaxler’s words.

Flux sighs quietly as Jaxler talks.  He had worried that might be the case with Jaxler.

Worry flashes over Granite. But Jaxler’s still here, that’s all that matters... Granite thought to himself.

“So, can we get to the next hand please?” says Jaxler

Silver deals out another set of hands, watching expressions carefully.

Jaxler looks at his cards, they didn’t seem as bad this time, but his face didn’t show it. In fact he even looked slightly saddened by the cards.

Flux gathers his cards as well, carefully considering them before laying down two cards.

Granite takes a look at his own cards. The dumbest grin imaginable forms on his face.

Midnight takes up his cards, his face more grim and determined as he looks them over.

Silver passes two cards to Flux, looking at his own hand now. He redraws two cards, then grimaces, which is hardly noticeably different from his poker grimace.

Flux simply nods at the cards he receives, then waits to see if everypony else was ready to reveal.

“Reveal time?” Granite asks. An eager look appears in his eyes.

“Actually, can I get another card?” Midnight asks as he sets a card down.”

“I’ll take 2 cards as well” say Jaxler as he laid two of his cards down.

Silver deals the cards to Jaxler and Midnight.

Jaxler’s ears flopped at the sight of his card, even though he was very glad to see what he had added to his hand.

Flux gives a small smile around his cards.  “Are we ready, then?”

“I am,” says Silver. “You all?”

“Good to go. Let’s do this!” Granite says, his voice heavy in enthusiasm.

“I’m ready” says Jaxler

Silver flips over his cards, a pair of Jacks the only important things.

Jaxler shows his cards, he had a pair of 4’s and a pair of 3’s

Granite grins wickedly as he unleashes the awesomeness of his hand, which contains absolutely nothing of use. “What?” Granite asks, looking between Flux and Jaxler.

“Sorry son, but that’s not a good hand.” says Jaxler

“Well crap...” Granite says, smiling slightly.

Flux simply lays his cards down, revealing a Full House, aces over eights.

Midnight shows a much less than impressive hand, a pair of 2’s.

“Damn, Flux. Nice,” compliments Silver.

“Buck, that good. So, what’s your question Flux?” asks Jaxler.

Flux opens his mouth, then realizes he has no idea what to ask any of the ponies there.  After a few moments, he thinks of a question and turns to SIlver Tongue.  “Why did you come to Dawnpick?”

“Well... See, I came from Coupledye. And as a counselor in Coupledye, the majority of clients are those who just want to complain about some peasant looking at them for a split second all day, then expect you to empathize with them. Being that it was torturous, and helped nopony, I decided to go where I might actually be able to do some good, rather than listen to nobles whine all day. So I came to Dawnpick, a frontier town, which are generally good places to start up a life in a mental health profession,” replies Silver.

“Really?  Frontier towns have lots of, um... troubled individuals?”  Flux asks, not expecting an answer like that.

“Yes. A lot of frontier towns have a large number of disputes, as generally they encounter more hardships among more working-class ponies and, in a smaller town, everypony knows each other, so you end up with a lot more actual demand for mental health professionals.”

“Sliver, out of curiosity, what’s the most weirdest case you’ve ever been tasked with in your time as a counselor? Or do I have to win first to ask questions?” Granite asks.

“Hmmm... I think I’ll save that for a winning question. Sorry, Granite,” he replies.

Flux chuckles quietly.  “Sounds like it’s time to deal the cards again.”

“I’d say so” replies Jaxler

Silver deals out another hand to everypony, watching carefully.

Midnight takes up his hand, and looks over his cards once again.

Granite takes a look at his cards. He mutters a few curses under his breath and frowns slightly.

Jaxler sees his cards, and is bummed by the level of crap he’s gotten all night. “4 cards please.” Jaxler then puts four cards down on the ground.

Flux looks at his cards, raising an eyebrow at them before setting down just one card.  “One, please.”

Midnight sets down a couple cards. “And two for me, please.”

“Wait we can swap out our cards?” Granite asks, confused again.

“Yes, you can Granite.” says Jaxler

“Oh, okay.” Granite says, satisfied he got an answer. “Good to know...”

Silver shuffles in all the cards and gives back draws, but doesn’t set down any.

Jaxler looks at his cards, and stressed to realize that he is just as bad off as he was before.

Midnight’s smile widens a little as he looks over his cards.

Flux shakes his head at his new card.

“So... we revealing our cards now?” Granite asks, his voice a mix of curiosity and impatience.

Flux sighs and nods, setting his cards down for everypony to see: two, three, four, five... seven.  “Open ended draw, couldn’t resist.  Darn seven...”

Silver puts down his cards, a pair of aces. He stays silent, watching the others.

Jaxler lays down a his cards. nothing but randoms.

Granite lays down his cards, the only thing important being a pair of sixes.

Midnight lays down his cards, showing four eights and a two. “Oh, hey, I think I won this one.”
He says as he looks over everyone's cards.

“damn, nice hand Midnight. So, what’s your question.” says Jaxler.

“Hmm, that’s actually a tough one.” Midnight says as he puts his hoof to his chin. “I’m not really sure on that one.”

“I could ask one if you're drawing a blank, Midnight.” Replied Jaxler

“Wait, I got one.” Midnight says before turning to look at Flux. “You always seemed skittish to me, nervous, even. Is that just how you are, or is there a reason behind it?”

Flux looks a bit nervous (well, a bit more nervous) at the question. “There’s... a reason.”

“Ehe... I kinda meant for you to tell me what it was.” Midnight says as he realizes the flawed choice of his wording.

“Um... sorry, but that’ll take another question.”  Flux realizes too late he’s probably only delaying the inevitable, instead of avoiding it entirely.

“yeah... in that case we should probably move on to the next hand.” says Jaxler eagerly.

Silver deals out another hand, and watches once more.

Jaxler looks at his hand.

Flux looks at his cards, praying he’ll have a winning hoof to play.

Midnight takes up his cards, and looks them over, almost seeming to wince as he does.

Silver looks at his cards, his face as unrevealing as a shard of obsidian.

Granite took a look at his cards. His face was expressionless for once.

Midnight sets down a few cards. “Three, please.”

Flux looks crestfallen at his cards and lays down three as well.

Silver dishes out the cards, then shuffles two back in.

Flux looks at his new cards, still not looking too happy with them.

Midnight doesn’t have much of a reaction to his new cards.

“So...” begins Silver. “We all ready to show our cards then?”

“Fine by me...” Granite says, still expressionless.

Midnight gives a quick nod in reply.

Jaxler shows his cards with no regard to who was ready or not. The best thing he had was a jack.

Flux sighs and lays down his cards, showing two pair: 2s and 3s.

Midnight shows his hand, which lacks any matching cards.

Granite places his cards, still lacking emotion in his face. Straight faced, he lays down a pair of tens, a jack, and a pair of sevens.

Silver places down a trio of sixes and a pair of eights. “Sorry, Granite. Better luck next time.”

Still holding a straight face, Granite looks to Silver and gestures with his forelegs what he thinks about the counselor.

Silver smiles, then turns to Flux. “So Flux, what is that reason you’re always skittish and nervous?” he asks, still smiling.

“Um... you all promise not to tell anypony about this?” he asks, partially to stall, and partially so he knows how many ponies to expect to be chasing after him.

“I promise not to tell.” Jaxler was fairly interested at this point.

Granite leans in closer, slightly intrigued. “I swear on my life Flux.”

“I promise, no pony will hear from me, what you have to tell.” Midnight says as he looks over to Flux.

“I’m no stranger to secrets,” says Silver.

Flux gulps.  “Well... it’s easier to show than to try to explain it...”  Green flame envelopes Flux, seeming to burn him away.  In his place is a black and chitoneous pony with insect wings and a small horn.  His legs and horn have several holes clean through each.  Instead of a mane, he has a small green crest running from the top of his head and down the back of his neck.  He finally opens his eyes, revealing them to be solid blue that fades to white in the center.  The only thing showing him to still be Flux is is nervous demeanor.  Even his voice has changed, taking on an odd echoing quality.
“Um... this is why I’m nervous...”

“Holy buck... that is the raddest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Why don’t you normally look like that? That’s awesome!” Granite says in awe. “Did those holes hurt or what?” Granite’s mood quickly changes. “Wait... I should be scared right now shouldn’t I?” He realizes. Granite extends his hoof towards Flux.

“you’re a changeling?” Jaxler tries to keep a straight face, and hide some of the shock and confusion he felt. “I’m going to need to talk to you about this, I have a concern I need to work out with you.”

Midnight stumbles back as he gasps. He quickly picks himself up and looks at Flux, and the others with confusion.

Silver’s eyes go wide as he flinches slightly, but he stands strong. Fear would do no good, and he was all too used to masking emotions, though this was more than he was used to. “Huh. I never would’ve guessed...” he says, eyes going back to normal size.

Flux looks to Midnight and Silver, sadness plain in his odd eyes.  “Ya, pretty much...”

“I’m sorry but is it okay if I’m only slightly disturbed by the holes in him? I really don’t get the big deal here...” Granite says. He moves slightly closer to Flux without any hesitation or fear.

Midnight takes a breath, he still seems confused over what’s happening
“What’s that mean, Flux? What’s a changeling?”

Green fire consumes Flux again, revealing the familiar form of the orange earthpony stallion.  “I think that’s worth another hand... if we’re still playing?”

“I think that’s a good idea... Regardless of what you may be, we all have the want, sometimes need, to change ourselves, and I think best for you that you can act on it, become a good pony. To me,” he says, “this changes nothing.”

“I’m... I’m up for another game, if anyone else wants to join in.”

Jaxler sighed, “Yeah, I’m up.”

Silver deals out another hand, looking at Midnight for confirmation as he does so.

Midnight walks up to the group again, and takes up his hand. His expression showing a little bit of  confused worry.

Granite takes a look at his cards as if nothing has happened. He grins slightly after organizing his cards.

Flux looks at his cards and nods, not placing any down to be replaced.

Jaxler looks at his cards, with were crud as always. “Four cards please”

Silver deals Jaxler four cards, then shuffles in one.

Jaxler looks his new cards, which we less than desirable. “We ready to show our hands?”

Midnight just nods in reply.

Flux nods as well, showing a low straight, two through six.

Jaxler shows his cards, and having nothing of value.

Silver shows his cards, also for once having nothing of value, but almost having a lot straight.

Granite smirks as he reveals his cards. Low and behold, a ten, jack, queen, king, and ace; all of which are spades.

Flux’ jaw drops as he sees Granite’s cards.

Midnight stared at the lucky hand, slowly folding his own cards soon after.

“Damn...” Jaxler was silent for a few moments before catching himself. “On account of the fact that you have the best hand possible, what’s your question?”

“Alright... um...” Granite says, taking a moment to pause. “Flux, with you being a changeling and all, what the hell should I do exactly? Should I like be scared of you or something, because I really don’t see you as a monster, except for the holes thing, that kinda creeps me out...”

Flux sighs, wishing Granite had asked somepony else something.  “Most changelings are monsters.  We feed on emotion, and need a strong connection to really get our fill.  Friends and lovers... don’t guard their emotions, so are easier to feed on.  Some changelings... take the place of ponies and feed on their relationships.  A few, like me... try to make real friends.  We can survive by nibbling on background emotion, but aren’t very nourished by it.”

Flux looks to Jaxler, his friend.  “I never made any friends just to feed...”

“Then Flux, I was wrong about having a question I needed to ask you.” said Jaxler.

Midnight nods as he listens, keeping quiet as he thinks over what he was hearing.

“Flux, I’m kinda depressed after what happened a while back, you could take that emotion for sustenance if you want...” Granite says.

Flux shakes his head.  “It doesn’t quite work that way.  Feeding doesn’t lessen the emotion.  And... negative emotions don’t agree with me.”

“Oh... okay. Do you want my happiness in life?” Granite asks. “Also could you define ‘negative emotions’ for me?”

Flux chuckles and pushes his cards towards SIlver.  “Maybe if you win again, Granite.”

“Actually, it’s getting kinda late.” says Jaxler. “Maybe we could do this another time?”

“Sure. Regular poker night oh... Wednesdays or something?”

“What about when Jaxler get’s out of jail?” Granite asks. “Where do we go then?

“Hmm... I could host it at my office after working hours, if that’s fine,” says Silver. “Not like much happens there anyways.”

Jaxler shrugged. “Seems as good as any other place.”

“Alright, so Poker Party every Wednesday at Silver’s workplace?” Granite asks. “Also Flux must have a hell of a poker face if he can change his appearance at will!”

Midnight chuckles. “That sounds good.”

Flux chuckles.  “It’s not in revealing nothing, but in revealing what you want them to know.”

“Totally unrelated, Flux I will give you my wallet’s contents if you can change into me. I wanna see this.” Granite says. “Pretty please?”

“Oh, turn into me too.” says Jaxer, hoping to find some entertainment.

Midnight can’t help but laugh at the rather foal like responses.

“Flux, you should totally change into Jaxler and just mess with Jury, then run back here and turn into the earth pony I guess you tend to be, so then she sees Jaxler in the cell after chasing him across Dawnpick... Wait, why do you commonly look like an orange earth pony?” Granite asks.

Flux shrugs before green flame consumes him, revealing another Granite.  “Well, it’s pretty easy to lay low as an earth pony.”  He then changed back to his typical orange form, looking a bit tired.  “And changing forms too often is a bit tiring.”

“In that case, don’t waste your time turning into me.” says Jaxler

“Maybe later, then?”

“sure.”

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: June 03, 2012, 01:21:33 am »

Jaxler woke up on top of the trade depot. He had a horrible pain in his head, and an ache in his side. He didn’t remember much of last night and didn’t know how he got here. He saw his crossbow laying a few feet to his left and a barrel to his right. Jaxler got up and walked over to the edge of the depot’s roof and peared over it. Apparently a caravan had come to town. Jaxler jumped down off the roof, when he noticed a green maned pony. “Aye Granite.”

Granite jumps down from a low hanging branch of a tree. “How the buck did you see me? I was trying to stay hidden today...” He says.

Jaxler shrugged. “I bit over observant sometimes.”

“Eh, I guess...” Granite replies. “So what do you need? Also congrats on surviving prison.”

“Thanks, and I’m kinda just noticed that a caravan had come to town. I figured I’d go browse their wares. You wanna come with?”

“Originally I was planning on buying something, but then I realize I have the tendency to steal crap almost sub-consciencelessly and I also remembered what happened the last time I went to a caravan...” Granite explained.

“Meh, if you try to steal anything, I’ll just stop you.”

“It’s not so much that I try to jack things, it’s just that it happens. One time I was casually walking through the market, when I found myself in this huge crowd. I made it out of that crowd to realize I had like twenty wallets in my mouth. I didn’t even try to take them either, it just happened. I then threw them into the well so I couldn’t be caught for stealing things...” Granite said.

“I’ll catch you stealing things, trust me. Also, I really don’t like going to caravans alone, I also have a ton of wood crafts I need to sell. The caravans usually give me more money than anypony else does.”

“If you say so...” Granite says. “I’ll tag along, lead the way I guess.”

Jaxler and Granite walked into the depot. the place had a wide variety of exotic goods, though only a few things caught Jaxler’s eyes. there were a few barrels of booze, some blood thorn logs, some nice bolts, and even a new chest. The pony wasn’t overly excited by any of the items, aside from a cage that he was, which held a strange animal. “Hay Granite, you see that cage? what is that thing in it?”

“No idea, I’m more concerned about this goddamn crowd around us. I hate crowds so much!” Granite said. “Just hurry up or something...”

Jaxler shrugged. “Fine, just give me a moment.” Jaxler then turned to a merchant. “What is the animal in that cage?”

“That would be a dog.”

“A dog? heh, what do you plan on doing with it?”

Granite whispers behind Jaxler, “Dude hurry it up, I’m freaking the hell out right now!” He’s sweating heavily and he looks like a mix between exhaustion and frustration. “I really hate crowds Jaxler!”

“We plan on eating it, It’s actually quite delicious.”

Jaxler sighed “Okay, I’ll be right back.” Jaxler then turned to Granite. “Granite, we can leave now. I need to get some of my crafts from my workshop.”

Granite sighs heavily. “Oh thank god!” He looks relieved and also sweaty as a badger pony in hell. Granite takes a moment to try to wipe his hair out of his eyes.

Jaxler and Granite started to make their way toward the craftspony’s workshop. “Hey, do you think you can help me carry some bins?”

Granite stopped hyperventilating when they reached the workshop. “Only if we can avoid those goddamn crowds Jaxler. Those motherbucknig crowds bucking buck buck-bucks BUCK!”

Jaxler sighed, “We can wait til’ the crowds disperse if you like.”

“No, we can go now. I heard the dude say something about eating the dog, so we should probably get a move on... I’ll try to deal with it... but crowds still bucking suck.”

“they won’t probably eat it until they leave town, and if somepony buys it, then that dog won’t be eaten.” Jaxler then took out a bin. “God, I’m a terrible wood crafter.” said Jaxler once he saw his crafts.

Granite took a look at a wooden bracelet. “This is actually pretty awesome. Nice job on the designs, the menacing spikes are a nice touch. I also like the carvings of Longshot getting fired and re-elected. You’re actually pretty talented at this Jaxler, don’t sell yourself short..”

“Really? I thought my stuff was worthless junk.”

“Bullshit.” Granite says plainly. “This bracelet could probably go for fifty bits at least.”

“Really? Damn, and that isn’t even one of my best crafts.”

“Let’s just haul this now and appraise it later. And that phrase is now my motto...” Granite says.

Jaxler shrugged. “You think I have enough to buy that dog?”

“I think the dog is probably less than twenty simply because they’re gonna eat it...” Granite says.

“okay, then. Can you pick up that bin? and I’ll grab this one.”

“Dude, I’m an earth pony, I got this crap.” Granite picks up the bin using only a foreleg and balances it on his back. “There are two things all earth ponies are good at, farming and hauling. This is easy mode.” Granite starts walking outside with perfect balance. “My mom made me carry lead barrels filled to the brim with water. If I spilled a drop I didn’t get any booze for a week. Let’s just say I woke up with a hangover the next day, Jaxler.”

Jaxler pucked up a bin and balanced it on his back. “Man, your mom is a jerk...” Jaxler then sighed. “Earth ponies can do anything any other pony can do aside from magic and flight.”

“Are you kidding me? My mom was awesome! She used booze to get me to do shit!” Granite says. “Also you don’t have to rub it in...”

“Rub what in?”

“My lack of wings...” Granite mumbles.

“Lack of wings? I wasn’t rubbing it in. Honestly wings aren’t that great.”

“But you can use wings to fly...” Granite says. “Flying sounds fun...”

“Meh, I never really enjoyed flying. You do realize that if you stop flapping you drop to your death.”

“But what about gliding?” Granite asks. “Nevermind. Let’s just haul this now and discuss flight later.”

“Meh, fine.” the two ponies finally arrived at the depot.

Granite drops the bin next to Jaxler and the merchant. “I’m gonna head home, good luck with the dog Jaxler.” Granite starts walking away. “Later.”

Jaxler shrugged. “see you latter.” Jaxler then walked over to the merchant. “I’d like to buy that dog.”

Jaxler walked home. The merchants gave him around 2k of bits for his crafts. The little pony really didn’t know his wooden stuffs were worth so much, but as much as you’d think he’d be happy right now he also had a new fluffy friend he had to care for. The dog was about 120 pounds and around 3 feet tall at the shoulders. The dog was extremely fluffy and its fur was all white. Apparently the merchant told Jaxler the do was a pyrenees wolf mix, but Jaxler hadn’t the slightest clue what that that gibberish ment. Jaxler finally reached his door. “Ugs... what the hell do I do now...”
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:47:15 pm by jaxler »

Psalms01

• Bay Watcher
  • The last Übermensch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: June 03, 2012, 01:49:35 am »

+Generic’s Journal+
The book is bound in Chestnuts and pages are transmuted rope reed paper.

The pen-pony-ship is in broad strokes, resembling calligraphy, but is difficult to read.

25th Limestone, 262

I have arrived in Dawnpick with four other traveling companions and now here in the mining city, we go our separate ways. Reporting to the mayor’s home, two ponies asked me for immigration forms or to file for residency and background checks with Coupledye’s census. A green Pegasus and another other one that was black, they were named Longshot and Partisan respectively. An attractive pony was there, yellow is a pleasant color, but I did not gawk. I immigrated from a forestry village, although remote just as Dawnpick is. Opting to file for residency was my choice, with the foreknowledge that Coupledye would have my identification, even if I had credentials on my being. Best to get the truth from the source, but they asked me to dictate as they filled out the paperwork. I asked if it was in their will to allow me to fill out my own form, they did not and I had much trouble in the endeavor. I return the paper and they only asked one question; ‘job, whatever I will.’ Then I enlighten them, I will make an effort to do any job that came my way. I probably did right on the form, to not receive any other comment. They requested for me to report to Mortar and Sawdust to work on dormitories, I did so.

12th Sandstone, 262

Today, haled stone blocks to the Pele tower, there I noted a logical and tactical error in design. Firstly, the room which dwells the Duchess was more fit for barracks and required diminutive modification to house a family. Also a hatch atop is desirable to keep winged would be assailants and thieves out. Just another dumb noble’s will, if she dies, it is her fault. If Queen Buzat had any more good wisdom, her Majesty would exile the bluebloods and make the positions electoral.

13th Sandstone, 262

Went to make lye today, startled by the lack of soft water from rains and this has slow lye production. It is understandable, but setting out barrels atop the roofs to catch what rain we get would suffice. Regardless, founding some empty barrels was a task. In the end, I extracted lye and proceeded to make soap.

11th Timber, 262

Worked the kitchen today, a mare joins the chefs and thought it best to enroll myself too, so I could pick up more skills in the culinary arts. Skillet scolded me many times and would not tell me of my error, I told her that she was just as much in error as I. The Pegasus is assertive, has a temper and we did not mingle well. Skillet wanted me to eyeball the ingredients, also my refusal to use alcohol and most animal products likely did not help. Still, I ended up with a -Carrot and Celery stir-fry- and I was delighted with Tangerine’s +baked bads+.

7th Moonstone, 262

Forgot myself as I was working on the watch tower, for the last three days, had no sleep or food. I continue until boredom took hold then wandered around with subtle fatigue. Managed to sleep at the well and awoke up later and took note of another attractive pony. Purple coat with emerald eyes, to my displeasure found it to be morning and the pony was about to bathe. I escaped in a light walk, continued my day at the kitchen and realize that the cellar achieves my expectations. Nice, cool and preserves the food better.

23rd Opal, 262

The ponies in the strange moods seem willful, so I can not care what they do, lest they begin to hurt another pony. I get funny look just labored on some woodworks beside Verdant Flash, but I pay no mind. Although, sadly I was limited with the amount of wood, so after that I moved to work the farms.

18th Obsidian, 262

Caravan appeared, has nothing I want or need and nopony to send letters to or receive. I seen some caged rabbits, it is despicable how us ponies cage up animals and call them pets. Regardless they will die and suffer in captivity or the wild, best for that not to be burden on one’s mind.

2nd Granite, 263

Mining stone for much of my time, after re-ascending, I heard an alcoholic pony was released from the dungeon. By my grace I give him the benefit of the doubt and if he maintains his distance, then I will live and let die, if that is their well.

1st Hematite, 263

I will is to be on the reserve, as they appear to be able to bear arms. Possibility, I will be turned down because of my newness as a member of the light of dawn. At this notion, I sought out the mayor, we talked and he wrote up a recommendation for me. I set out to meet the reserve captain Indigo.
Victoria intus Amicitia; Amor et Patientiam; Salve ad Armentum.
-Psalms01, your Adoring Omnidimensional Overlord.
> Dues Ex Magma!
> "Nah, we're fine. We have too much food anyway, bad thoughts from seeing vermin never killed nopony, refuse stockpile is less clogged, and cats are safely tucked away in a cage." -Maklak
> Dwarfy Proverb: "Every-dwarf grows there beard to different lengths."
> Psalms tries to type, but the words are deflected by the Google Docs' +broken code+! -Telgin

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: June 04, 2012, 01:10:57 am »

+ Marilee

Jaxler sighed. what he was about to do had put fear in the hearts of many a stallion. He honestly had no idea what he was doing. He somehow knew he would regret his next moves. Jaxler sighed for the second time and walked up to the door he was standing outside of and knocked it.

The sound of hooves came from within, and the door opened to reveal Germaine standing just inside. “Hello? Oh, Jaxler! How are you?”

“Oh, I’m fine, Germaine. Could I talk to Marilee?”

“Of course.” She turned away from Jaxler. “Mari? Jaxler’s here to see you.” In a moment, Germaine stood aside, allowing her daughter to take her place. “Hello, Jaxler. Good to see you. What brings you here?”

Jaxler sighed. “Well, I’d like you to be my mare friend...”

Marilee was silent for a moment, before she spoke. “Your... marefriend? Nopony’s ever... um, I mean... yes. Sure, I’d love to!”

“Well, that’s great. Also, would you be willing to go out with me tonight?”

“Tonight? I’d like that... I’d like that very much.”

“So, how about we head down to the meeting hall tonight?”

“Sounds good. Um, one thing, though...”

“what?”

Marilee blushed, grinning sheepishly “...Let’s not drink quite so much this time.”

“Well, sure, I guess.”

“Okay. I’ll see you later, then.”

“I’ll see you then.”

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: June 04, 2012, 08:26:11 pm »

This takes place later in the day after Sarissa visits Moral. Since Estoc (played by Telgin here) is stated to be Sarissa's best friend in the game, I decided to run with it.

The Sun had set after a fairly boring and uneventful day patrolling the perimeter of the fort. It's not like that mattered too much, though. She had many other subjects on her mind; her reputation in the fort, thoughts of her father back home, becoming short-sighted in her left eye and lacking any really good friends in Dawnpick. 

Sarissa's steel-shod hooves produced distinctive metallic echoes in the near-empty dining hall. It was late, and most ponies had already eaten their last meal for the day. Perhaps the cooks were about ready to head off for the night, but they were going to have to deal with at least one more customer. The unicorn walked up to the counter and sighed. One of her routines for dealing with stress was to eat, which was probably the reason that she had failed to completely reach her weight goal despite her training regime in the militia. Slowly tapping a metal boot on the counter, she waited for somepony to show up and take her order.

A pegasus mare eventually emerges from the stairs leading down to the store rooms and spies Sarissa standing at the counter.  "Oh, I'm sorry... we were getting ready to close," Skillet says with an apologetic expression.  She felt bad for potentially denying Sarissa her evening meal though, especially considering she was one of the ponies there to protect her.  "...but... I think I can still grab something for you.  What will you have?"

"Don't worry, I'll be quick about it," the unicorn already had her mind set on what she wanted, "Do...you have anything sweet in store? Cake, cookies, pie...even something with fruit in it will do...I suppose. I'd also like some tea to go with that, please."

"Alright, just a minute, let me go take a look."  Skillet disappears down into the store rooms for a minute before emerging with a plate of strawberry cake, studded with fresh strawberries and coated in a thin glaze.  A pair of buckets filled with fragrant tea dangle from a yoke stradling her back.  The smell of the sugary dish and tea wafts over to Sarissa's nose as Skillet returns to the counter.  "Well, I found this and it seems to fit what you're looking for.  Interested?"

The scent helps lift her spirits a bit. Satisfied with the item in question, the militia pony answers, "That will do just fine. How much do I owe you, Skillet?" Levitating a small sac and placing it on the counter, Sarissa loosens the knot holding it closed and counts the money that she has with her at the moment.

"Um, let's see... four bits, I think," Skillet says, looking deep in thought for a moment.  "Yeah, four bits."

"Alright, here you are. Thanks..." she slides the bits over to the cook across the counter. Acquiring her new source of comfort, Sarissa picks out an empty table and has a seat. There are only two other ponies eating in the dining hall at that time, so she has plenty of the peace and quiet she desires. She removes her helmet so that she can eat more comfortably, placing it on the bench beside her. Shaking her head, her matted blonde hair loosens up a bit. Acquiring the fork in a cloak of green magic, she takes her first bite. It was good. Not as good as those almond cherry creme cakes that her Aunt Palate made, but it was satisfactory for now.

That being brought to her mind, she was reminded of her family. She had a longing to see her father in particular. It had been quite a while since she had seen his face, since she had a warm hug from him. Sarissa had considered the possibility of taking some leave to go visit him, but her paranoia about the fort's well-being kept her from taking the idea seriously. What if the much-anticipated war began while she was away? Plus, he couldn't come see her himself because he was needed on the farm back home. He couldn't afford to take enough time off to make the trip worthwhile. So was the price she payed for following her dream of being in the militia. Communicating with him through letters would have to suffice for now.

Swallowing some of the beverage, Sarissa then thought of how others viewed her at Dawnpick. Indigo had come right out and called her evil, and many of the other ponies either feared her or hated her. Even though she was well-respected enough that few ponies actually provoked her, respect and friendship are two different things. It was mostly because of a lack of trust on both sides of the fence, she concluded. Others mistrusted her because of her zealousness, and she mistrusted them for one reason or another. Jaxler was a drinker and a brawler. Indigo always had something to complain about. Stiletto was a polygamist. Moral was mentally unstable. Falcata was too judgmental of Sarissa's intentions. Even the other militia ponies, which she would have had the most in common with, had a distaste for her. Virtue was nice, but due to their differences in jobs and class, their relationship couldn't really be called friendship. Amor was actually a pretty straight-up pony. It was nice to talk to her, but Sarissa felt that their contrasts still kept them from forming a strong bond.

Estoc trots up to the counter a few minutes later, convinces Brownie Bits to go fetch something for him to eat too and apologizes profusely for running late and takes the plate of glazed carrots with him in search of somewhere to sit.  He notices Sarissa sitting alone off at the far side of the dining hall and concludes that this would be a fine opportunity to get to know her a bit better.  He approaches the table with his plate in tow and asks, "This seat taken?"

Her ears prick up, noting the familiar voice, "Oh, Estoc. I wasn't expecting to see you. Go ahead." Sarissa slides her helmet over and puts it on the floor, giving him room to sit. Sarissa had practically watched him grow up, him being the son of fellow militia pony Naginata. Despite his youth, she felt a unique connection with him. He was probably her best friend at Dawnpick, even though that wasn't saying very much. "What brings you here so late?" she inquires.

He slips into place and sets his tray on the table.  "Well, I'm just getting back from the barracks, actually.  I was talking to mom and Captain Halberd... y'know, I'm getting close to six... and I was thinking of joining the militia."  He chews on a slice of glazed carrot and smiles at her.

Sarissa's eyes widen, "Really? Six Already? I didn't realize you had matured so quickly..." The mare had known that Estoc was aspiring to be in the military, but she was surprised that he was finally old enough to apply. She returned the smile to him, "Gonna follow in your mom's footsteps, eh? Good boy. If you turn out to be as skilled as her, then you've got the potential to turn slaughtering the enemy into a real art form. I'd like to see how you handle an axe." That slice of cake had now become of secondary importance.

He nods and sucks down another slice of carrot.  "Yep, I've been thinking about this for a while.  I've always admired what mom and you all do, and especially after Rondel joined I was pretty sure it's what I wanted to do."  He grins after swallowing the piece of carrot.  "Of course, I don't think I'll be slaying any dragons any time soon, but hey, one day maybe you can show me a thing or two."  He shrugs.  "I'll probably be under Halberd with you."  His mom didn't like the idea of being his captain for some reason, but he wasn't going to fight it.

A smirk grows across the armored pony's face, "I'm sure I could teach you how to lay the smack down on a dragon, but that's something that'll come later in time. First, you'll need to develop the coordination and combat reflexes of a true warrior. Plus, you're much more likely to deal with small fry like badger ponies. The militia will prepare you well when it comes to them." Sarissa was also pleased to know that Estoc might be in the same squadron as her. It would be nice to see him more often, "If you're gonna be working alongside me, then I'm gonna make sure you become the best fighter you can be."

He chuckles and takes a sip of juice.  "Yeah, the badger ponies... mom really hates them, and I can't say I blame her.  After they almost abducted my older brother that time and stabbed him in the leg... well, let's just say I'm looking forward to seeing to that never happening again.  I wouldn't dream of fighting a dragon until I've dealt with a few of those badger ponies."  He idly scratches the back of his head.  "Of course, I don't want to face one until I've got a nice suit of armor and a weapon like you've got.  I know what happened to Brook and Barley..."

"Yeah, and those thieves don't wear armor; our blades cut through their leather clothes like it's not even there," the copper pony mentions after swallowing the last glazed strawberry. "Heh, maybe you can even start your own little trophy collection once you've scored your first kill. I'll even show you how to prepare the skulls. If your parents don't like the idea of having it in their apartment, I might even make some room in my closet where you could store them." 

He smirks and downs some more of his food.  "Well, dad probably wouldn't like it.  Not sure about mom, but I don't think she'd like it too much either."  He shrugs again after taking another sip of his drink.  "'Course, I suppose I'll be moving out of their home soon enough and get a place of my own.  Doubt they'd say too much about it then."  He thinks about it for a few moments.  He wasn't so sure he'd go hanging badger pony skulls in his room, but some animals maybe.  Although if he could get the skull of that badger pony who stabbed his brother, well, he'd hang more than just the skull up...

After swallowing the last of her tea, the axe-lord pats Estoc on the shoulder, "Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll make us all proud, kiddo. Let me know when you find out for certain whether you'll be under Halberd with me or not; I look forward to seeing you there." Sarissa places her helmet back on her head, "Has your mother started teaching you anything about fighting yet?"

Estoc polishes off the rest of the carrots on his plate and shakes his head.  "Nope, not yet.  I'll start all of that tomorrow, and find out my posting too."  He swallows a gulp of drink and adds, "Guess you'll probably get to show me a thing or two before she does."

"Probably," she smirks at him. Getting up from her seat, she retrieves her empty tray and glass. "I'd best get heading back off to my room for now. I'll see you tomorrow, Estoc." That was a nice change in routine and it helped take her mind off of her woes. Maybe things would start looking up.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 239