Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Law: water can not prevent dehydration  (Read 15461 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Law: water can not prevent dehydration
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 12:07:29 pm »

I think 'mild dehydration' basically amounts to any dehydration that is curable by the consumption of water alone, if people can decide that their headache or whatever is a 'mild ache or pain' requiring over the counter drugs then i don't see why people shi are thirsty can't decide they are mildly dehydrated enough to require water ...
And personally if i don't drink water frequently i get horrendiously dehydrated, i'm probably diabetic or something.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »

Water does not prevent dehydration. It cures it.
In the US, that statement would make the FDA classify water as a drug, since according to FDA guidelines, only a drug can cure something.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure that drinking sufficient quantities of water regularly prevents dehydration from occurring in the first place. Unless you choose to define dehydration as the process of losing water for some reason in which case only stillsuits can do that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 12:25:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure that drinking sufficient quantities of water regularly prevents dehydration from occurring in the first place. Unless you choose to define dehydration as the process of losing water for some reason in which case only stillsuits can do that.

As I recall, all humans are constantly undergoing the process of dehydration. Drinking water counters the effects of this. It isn't a matter of "I drank a liter of water so I am not going to be dehydrated for a while", but of "I drank a liter of water so I am much less dehydrated now".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 12:25:29 pm »

ITT, people act as unwitting corporate shills by jumping on the bandwagon to turn an obscure technical definition they have no real context of into an example of governmental incompetence.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:18 pm »

Yes, I don't know in the US but I've heard that drinking a lot of water prevent dehydration, as in, make you less prone to dehydration.
If that fact is false, as in drinking any liquid perform just as well, then it should not be on the bottles.
It's worth saying, drinking soda pop is not nearly as effective.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 12:35:05 pm »

Drinking any liquid with a solute in it is a lot less effective at stopping dehydration. The entire idea of dehydration is a hypertonic environment in the body compared to the body's normal functional level of blood concentration.
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 12:37:57 pm »

ITT, people act as unwitting corporate shills by jumping on the bandwagon to turn an obscure technical definition they have no real context of into an example of governmental incompetence.
Pretty much.

There are jobs solely devoted to making you think the way they want you to think. Advertising obviously gets products known, but it also attempts to *make* you want it. Plus, obviously, stuff like this. And the people that do it are damn good at it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »

As I recall, all humans are constantly undergoing the process of dehydration. Drinking water counters the effects of this. It isn't a matter of "I drank a liter of water so I am not going to be dehydrated for a while", but of "I drank a liter of water so I am much less dehydrated now".

And if that's the definition you're using this is a reasonable and sensible ruling, it's just that I have seen it used that way only when it was clearly a process in context, and in a technical setting. In common use, it always seems to refer to the state of having uncomfortably little water in the body, not the process of losing that water.

That said it's entirely possible that this difference in usage is entirely cultural, and from the sound of other comments here it probably is. I'd just like to point out that in defending the ruling, you should probably make that clear to the people who think this is ridiculous because they're probably reading it differently.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 01:10:14 pm »

Different definitions of "dehydration". You're talking about "dehydration" as the process of losing moisture, whereas the term as-used here is "dehydration" as the condition of being significantly dehydrated to the point where it's unhealthy.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »

It's still a stupid ruling.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 01:24:31 pm »

It's still a stupid ruling.
Then enlighten us, because everyone else in this thread is saying the opposite, so just coming and saying "it's stupid" is kind of insulting.

(I was more thinking about juices and tea. I know pops are just too sugary.)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »

Fact: Dehydration comes from not having a sufficient amount of water in your body.

Fact: Drinking water increases the amount of water in your body.

Therefore, water can combat dehydration.

Therefore this ruling is stupid.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:13 pm »

THAT'S IT

INTERNET CRIME SQUAD TIME.

I am honestly surprised by the amount of times I mentioned the ICS lately :P
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »

Fact: Dehydration comes from not having a sufficient amount of water in your body.

Fact: Drinking water increases the amount of water in your body.

Therefore, water can combat dehydration.

Therefore this ruling is stupid.

Don't you understand the meaning of "prevent"? I think everyone know that lack of water can be fought by drinking water, what they wanted to sell you is that drinking a lot of water would prevent dehydration, while apparently it's completely useless.
That's false advertising and so should be penalized.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8