Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Law: water can not prevent dehydration  (Read 15468 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Law: water can not prevent dehydration
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »

Fact: Dehydration comes from not having a sufficient amount of water in your body.

Fact: Drinking water increases the amount of water in your body.

Therefore, water can combat dehydration.

Therefore this ruling is stupid.
The wording is "prevent," not "combat."

Semantics are the core issue here. Their JOB is to prevent advertisers from manipulating wording to say something untrue. It's true that this case is quite trivial, but they can't overlook it just for that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 01:40:30 pm »

I think the idea is that drinking water doesn't (permanently) "lower your chances" of being dehydrated, which is how I often see "prevent" being used. Such as brushing your teeth to prevent gum disease.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 01:53:52 pm »

If I had desk insurance, I'd be rich.

Don't you just LOVE the governments these days?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 02:04:09 pm »

This seems equally split between opportunistic journalism, and government stupidity. Everything read normal up until the point where the EU decided this needed to be a law, not just an outcome of a particular claims hearing. That's when they made themselves vulnerable to their critics, and at the worst possible time too.

“If ever there were an episode which demonstrates the folly of the great European project then this is it.”

Seriously though, that's on line 5 of the article. Would you like some news with your bias?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »

For those arguing liquids other than water can prevent/cure/combat/whatever dehydration, you are pretty much 100% wrong. Water is, in fact, the only liquid with that property.

Well, okay, Deuterium Oxide works too, but only to a certain extent. And one could argue that is still water.

As far as the ruling - obviously, it depends on whether you are talking about the condition or the process. Drinking water obviously prevents (or helps to prevent) the condition (for a time), I would think...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »

Yeah, I dunno about that. On the one hand, when government decides something, they like to announce it big and loud so they don't have to tell everyone again. That makes sense to me. I just wonder who the commissioner was that was like "Well, we've made the ruling, let's make it official! Read that back to me again!......Yes, perfect. No fallout could possibly come from saying this. We'll set a new standard in bottled water advertising claims!"

These days it seems like the wrong parts of governments are working way too hard, when the parts we care about aren't working hard enough.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »

Well it's a good thing that the majority of my fluid intake is limited to massive amounts of coffee, otherwise I might actually have to care.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 03:02:01 pm »

seriously? Last I checked, dehydration wasn't a disease, but just the state of having inadequate WATER in your body and generally being THIRSTY.

Of course consuming water will hydrate you, the word hydrate comes from a root word meaning WATER.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »

The argument is in semantics. Not walking over train tracks EVER prevents you getting hit by a train EVER. Drinking one bottle of water will not prevent you needing to drink one again later. The word "prevent" does refer to the ability to keep an event from happening or continuing.

Seeing as there are very many different languages within Europe, this could be a problem relating to the lack of a defenite translation of "prevents" between one or more languages - after all synonyms of the word are things like "stops", "ends" or "halts".

That, or water isnt actually the only thing you can drink to end up with a net positive effect on hydration levels, so the courst decision could be made on the right of water companies to use that as a selling point. As I pointed out in an earlier post, the Telegraph is a notoriously eurosceptic conservative paper, so could be telling thier own version of the truth.
This is a blank sig.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:19 pm »

Anything you drink that hydrates you has water in it.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 03:26:05 pm »

Anything you drink that hydrates you has water in it.
Anything you eat, too :P

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 03:30:29 pm »

Now see I got the impression that the scientists think a whole damn bunch of stuff can prevent dehydration.

Thus water isn't unique.

It's like saying, this food cures hunger.

It's not fucking unique!

You wanna make a claim? It actually has to mean shit. or that is the vibe I'm getting from you guyses halfhearted repetition of the scientists.

You know what's unique? gatorade is uniquely formulated to add the correct salts to the body, sugar for energy, and water to combat dehydration.

You know what's unique? Cereal like cheerios has folic acid that is good for your heart.
considering it's been removed from almost all bread products.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »

Our evolutionary courses are not going to change to the point that what we have lived off for eons (food that is not genetically modified) will change anytime soon.

Sure, I can live off of company grown and genetically modified black berries, but i can also just go pick some domesticted black berries out of my cow field.

Speaking of which I do not need to eat hormone ridden cow meat either, my landlord has too many cows to handle, and if I felt like it I could get one of the smaller ones butchered and store it in the big freezer in my basement.

Also water is unique, it is the MOST effective substance at fighting dehydration, considering it is the main ingredient FOR being hydrated, us being mostly water and all.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 03:41:15 pm »

I just think the whole thing is pointless, true or not.

They act like the sole reason bottled water sells is because it claims to prevent dehydration. Like after this law is put in place people will be saying, "hmm, I'm pretty thirsty, I think I'll go pick up some bottled water. Wait, what's this? This bottle of water will not prevent my dehydration!? FUCK THAT SHIT!".

the entire thing seems pretty trivial to me. Then again, I go months without drinking just plain water.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 03:42:20 pm »

Then again, I go months without drinking just plain water.

thats not healthy dude. i had a cup of water like an hour and a half ago
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8