Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Hope of Seven, A Tale of Naught (Community Fortress)  (Read 2091 times)

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Hope of Seven, A Tale of Naught (Community Fortress)
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:55:15 pm »

Tekhom Tezikelon

The wagon wheels slid across the hard earth, bumping up and down as the noble in the wagon bit into a chicken leg loaded with dwarven spices. Two rough, draft animals continued a long trek as six other dwarves walked alongside the wagon, the resources within' bouncing up and down, the animals chattering from their leash. Down a hill they went, across a river they forded, and over the hill they came at last, only to see what laid beyond.

"The seven hells take me."

Aye laddy, what be this?

So my name is Frenchchef, and this is sort've the tale of seven distraught dwarves (one of who is a snotty good for nothing noble). We'll be taken along to a harsh wasteland of death, destruction, and everything in between. The world I've created is known as The Strifeful Blueness. High savagery, high civilizations, high beasts, and frequent minerals. This is infact my first ever community attempt at anything so I've decided to do a story, while adding you all as dwarves and offering some rich detail. Any dwarfed people, feel free to write journals to add along to a rich history of war and blood. Let's not forget, I'm using MASTERWORK. The gods be good, lads. Today we fight!

Dwarf List

Will be updated as we go, currently empty, need six other dwarves besides myself to be added!

1. Frenchchef - Cook
2. Squeegy (Dwarfed as Bluebird) - Carpenter
3. Tomato - Farmer
4.Derpislava - Mechanic/Siege Engineer/Carpenter
5. Maxwell - Mason

The World

The Dyed Blueness

LET IT BEGIN! Who's up for dwarfing? Gotta fill the slots before I roll. If you want dwarfed, just say what occupation, skills, and I'll see what I can do.

First turn rolling up soon.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:28:54 pm by Frenchchef »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hope of Seven, A Tale of Naught (Community Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »

Dorf me, as "Bluebird." No preference except male.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »

Journal of Frenchchef, Prologue

The wagon wheel is shot, and our carpenter Bluebird tells me nothing can be done to fix it, without dismantling our wagon for wood. It appears we're trapped in this god forsaken place, perhaps to never leave again. No doubt we will never be found again. Meanwhile the noble in the wagon we've come to nicknaming Ser Arsesitter is complaining of how it's cold and that we should go find him some warmth. Will he ever shut up?

- Frenchchef, the Cook

Had a picture but for some reason my last Kobold game decided to save over to this world so I had to remake the world due to it. Will have the round starting soon everybody.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:42:11 pm by Frenchchef »

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:36:50 pm »

I'll take a dwarf.

Preferably a farmer but I'll take whatever is free.

Name: Tomato

Gender doesn't matter.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:11:03 pm »

Journal of Frenchchef, Entry I, Year 63

Ser Arsesitter finished his string of swears of being stranded in some frozen dump and gave the two miners orders to begin mining, shoving a small scroll in their faces with a layout. Meanwhile the woodcutter was sent off to cut wood, knowing the current stock we carried wouldn't be enough for warmth. Casks of red wine, salted meats, an anvil, wood, seeds, picks, axes, and other materials were loaded off.

A shoddy drawing of what it looks like.

Six hardy dwarves and a noble butt-wipe.

All of our animals, including the three speechless foreign concubines the noble butt-wipe keeps with him at all time to comfort him. The blasted idiot. Otherwise we have dogs to guard, cats to eat vermin, and we have wool/milk giving animals plus slaughtering animals. All set, strike the earth.

I felt since he's a noble, he needs to have three speechless shameless girls to attend to his every need. The post will be updated until I'm done with my turn.

Meanwhile, Tomato is given a pick and grumbles as he heads into the tunnels to mine with the other two, who almost immediately unearth meteorite iron. Despite this being a frozen dump of frost, perhaps we will infact strike it rich.

Progress is good, as the basic stockpile for stone, gems, and wood is set up along with corresponding workshops. The three concubines are ordered to stop hauling by Ser Buttwipe, but they're rather useful to help. A farm, pasture inner pen, and assorted food workshops plus stockpile are mined and set up on the right wing. All is going nicely.

As the first crops are planted, a twirling blizzard blows in and chills me right to the bone as I gather wood from outside. It seems we've come to underestimate the cruel weather of this place. Blast.

How'd I do? I'll update later with summer after it's done.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:53:54 pm by Frenchchef »

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 06:08:55 pm »

I enjoyed it. It seems that my characters in community forts turning into general handydorfs/goblins is becoming a recurring thing.
Not complaining, just try and keep me out of the military. Any other job is fine by me. (Although if every other dwarf is incapacitated or otherwise
injured, feel free to make me a Speardwarf.)

Looking forward to summer.

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:27:30 pm »

No problem Tomato, I will. We actually suffered our first attack by three gnolls, who ran off with two coke before being hunted down and killed by wardogs, which drove them into the fortress where they were mobbed. Some damage was done to dogs and dwarves, but luckily nothing major.

Journal of Frenchchef, Entry II, Year 63 Summer

With the bringing of summer, nothing changed much besides a bit of snow melting to the east creating some lush plant matter that we gathered and brewed, but alas it was not enough. Luckily we managed to set up a minor watering hole, and me alongside maybe a dozen dwarves lept on the water hole with great gusto. Did I forget to mention we got seven hardy refugees from nearby? They came seeking home and so they have it.

Blast, three gnolls came in fast! Two of them were chased within' the fortress by dogs where they damaged a few of us, but luckily it was only minor. One gnoll was finally bulled to the ground and killed by two war dogs, one of who gave birth to a pup only a tad bit after knocking him down. Not to mention one of the concubines gave birth to a girl, but the father is unknown as many men had a turn with her. Meanwhile more puppies are birthed to dogs in our little pen area. Not to mention that gnoll attack ended with four of five of our stores of coke being ran off. What a bunch of jerks.

Our farms of cave wheat will soon be ripe with wheat so we can turn it to a fine whiskey. Then we will no longer have to drink horrid muddy water spuddled in a small dirt hole. Bluebird happily ran up to me and reported how he was doing good constructing wooden cages for us, while the mechanic shop is already in construction. Soon animals like gnolls will not simply walk into our fortress without being stuffed in a wooden cage and taunted. If they come, they'll get a fight. A big one. Chef out.

Pretty boring summer, I'll update this post with autumn in a bit.

Journal of Frenchchef, Entry III, Year 63, Autumn

Autumn started off with some chillier temperature, plus the birth of a few kittens and another concubine gave birth to another female baby, bringing our population total up to 16. We've spotted some flying reindeer and hawks around the area, but none pose a threat. Not to mention we now have a nice stock of meat as we butchered the corpse of the gnoll. His meat will satisfy all.

Meanwhile, a flock of gooses led by a golden goose is seen in the area along with some weird, four-legged mule animals with blades from their belly. Dogs have been posted. In other news, one of the concubines has claimed a butcher shop and is working on some forsaken thing with a gnoll skull. Weird. She later came out with some gibberish named bone battle axe, which was actually pretty nice. We went ahead and named her as a bone-carver rather than Ser Buttwipe's whore.

(Imageshack decided to do that no matter how many times I retook the picture. Bah.)

Our newest militia commander will gladly accept this token of esteem, and wield it well. For defense! The trade depot is in construction, planning for it to be in the middle of our wings, while all the gems we've found are being cut. This includes the meteorite, the rock crystals, blue garnets, and other jewels.

The first death of our fortress was Tulon Reksazism, a bonecarver. A mood of melancholy struck him not long ago, and he finally killed himself of lack of water. A coffin and a slab will be prepared.

At last, the merchants come! We quickly construct a depot hastily so they can park, and sell us booze so we may lift our spirits. Many trudge along, another falling to melancholy. On the way to our depot, one of the macedwarves does us a favor and clubs a gnoll that wanders too close. His corpse is tossed to our butcher for meat. And even as we bargain for drink, another depressed dwarf deprives himself of drink. Our bowyer passes from the earth, also ex-militia commander that held back the gnolls. Another coffin to be placed. Damn these lands. And with that, winter is here.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:50:16 pm by Frenchchef »

Maxwell5123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:06:22 pm »

I would like to be dorfed please, I would like to be a mason other than that gender doesn't matter.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:04:57 pm »

Dorf plz
"Derpislava", female. Mechanic, siege engineer and carpenter.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:44 pm »

Dorfed, enjoy. Calling it quits for tonight, I'll start up again tommorow. See you all soon.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:56:49 pm by Frenchchef »

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:18:36 am »

Journal of Frenchchef, Entry IV, 63

Winter starts off with a cold chilling snowstorm as many people trudge across the fortress, unhappy. A dining table is nearly done being smoothed out and will be converted to a meeting hall, hopefully we can raise some spirit with some kitchen-cooked meals as well.

Meanwhile in this state of depression, I've seen multiple fist fights that could end up bloody if we don't hurry. A justice system will soon be set up. In other news, we have six cage traps lined up near the entrance. None of us have liked some of the animals, and we fear the other species of the area will soon find us. The smelters have also begun belching out smoke as we use our coke to begin the step forward in our metalsmithing industry.

The first test of our fortress has come! The beak dog invasion has come! Man the cage traps, and prepare to seal the flood gates! WE FIGHT OR DIE!

Everything wrong that could've happened, happened. Two of our mechanics ran out  to replace cage traps after the flood gate was opened to allow our solemn guard out, but the lever was closed behind them accidentally. As they ran to the flood gates, they sealed and they turned to see the pack. They tried to run, but tripped over fur, blinded by their own blood and were quickly encircled and destroyed. Our militia commander is currently missing, it is unknown if he still lives and is fleeing, or he was bulled to the ground and killed as well. While we did manage to cage four of the beasts, it doesn't matter. We lost 2 (3?) innocent lives today. Curse this frozen dump! A few other beak dogs wonder into the cage traps until we have six caged, and then the rest turn, whimper, and run off.

The siege is broken. And with it, comes Spring.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:44:58 am by Frenchchef »

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »

Journal, The Last Entry

Armok help me! Nearly fifty citizens now mob against eachother, butchering eachother in anger and sadness as we lost nearly ten soldiers who were drafted quickly and sent to kill the tigerman. Eventually the mob of us killed them, but we lost many comrades such as Tomato, and many others. Oh god, they are about to beat down my door..help me. ARMOK PLEASE. DON'T LET THEM DO THIS. AAAAAH THEY'RE THROUGH!

Well for a community fort, that did terrible. Tigerman hit plummeted morale, people turned on eachother and killed eachother, and in the end we had captured a dozen or more elf fanatic thieves, goblin thieves, and white tigermen. And the journal entry above is correct, my character was the last of the founding seven and was turned captain of the guard, where he used his meteoric pike to hold them back for a few seconds, before being mobbed, beaten, and killed. Fort hasn't crumbled but everyone is killing everyone, no return. Sorry guys, unlucky but fun/funny run.

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 01:18:54 pm »

Wow, that was quick, but fun/funny.
At least I wasn't the first to die.

Edit:  Have you thought about trying a reclaim? It couldn't go much worse.... could it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:31:22 pm by TomatoWalrus »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »

Woot! ASoIaF fan!  :P

Shame this came at an end so quick  :( Are you looking forward to starting a new one?  :D

Frenchchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 03:03:05 pm »

I might try starting a new one tonight, just because it was pretty fun but a bit tedious to do it. Look forward to another try again tonight!

Also yes I love ASIOAF so much.