Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110478 times)

thechosenone456

• Bay Watcher
  • We are REBORN.
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Story)
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »

Love it! Ka-BOOM! More action! I love this stuff!

On a side note, can I be dorfed? I'd like to read about myself doing stupid stuff.

Name: Kyle
Profession: Warrior/Hunter/Demolition man
Abilities: Very High Endurance/Very High Levels of Curiousity/Destinied to cause lots of !!FUN!!/High Rate of doing stupid stuff/Very High interest in blowing things up
Nobody lives forever...so let's make every day count.

The Loony Bin:
COME OUT QUIETLY AND WE WON'T USE FORCE!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 02:27:35 am »

Time spent with loved ones is by no means wasted. We can survive without story posts.

Yup. Unless you are some sort of Eldritch monstrosity that lives off posts.

Like me!

I'm loving this work so far, and I hope to see more in the future!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 04:38:21 pm »

On a side note, can I be dorfed? I'd like to read about myself doing stupid stuff.

Abilities: Very High Endurance/Very High Levels of Curiousity/Destinied to cause lots of !!FUN!!/High Rate of doing stupid stuff/Very High interest in blowing things up

I'll try to.  You might be able to be one of Zeon's elite.  Possibly heir to his position.

And thanks for the support guys.  I am only going to screw Goldenhold more with this next post!  Time for some Stonehand!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 04:44:06 pm »

I'll try to.  You might be able to be one of Zeon's elite.  Possibly heir to his position.

And thanks for the support guys.  I am only going to screw Goldenhold more with this next post!  Time for some Stonehand!

That sounds diabolical and monstrous... I eagerly await >:£

*Edit, oops, my post got swallowed up by the quote D:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:06:19 pm by Loud Whispers »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »

(Loudwhispers.... you know it's what I meant.  Now stop reading my mind.)

Goldenhold
Chapter 6: Dwarves are Snacks

The world was a bunch of stars, slowly clearing up, and they were coming straight for him.  His vision cleared.  Stonehand saw the ceiling coming straight for him....  huh?   Slam!  Black out. 

He woke up just before hitting with a thud on the ground.  Where am I and what am I doing here?  He couldn’t help but groan with pain...  he heard massive waves coming from the water... He thought with sudden realization about what had happened.  The Dowhakus!  How did it die?  He heard someone yell his name.  It was the person who had carried the lantern to light up the caverns... which were dimming slowly at the time.

After almost a third of a mile walking over various shrubs, and avoiding going into the water or stepping on a creature who would eat him, he managed to make it to the lantern dwarf, asking him what happened.

After the lantern dwarf explained that Stonehand killed it, and his mouth was in it, he broke out laughing.  He chocked, “Your joking!” He did not believe it at the time, and it would take a while for the moment to haunt him in dreams for him to finally admit that it was done by him.

A dwarves voice approached, echoing across the caverns from behind him.  “Stonehand-Dowhakuslayer!  Are you alright?”  Stonehand laughed once more.  He couldn’t help but think, This is one hell of an awful prank.  Next they are going to....

The lantern dwarf patted him on the back.  “We’re going to half to the people to get the Dowhakus to the market and process it, but you get a forth as the slayer.  The remainder of us will get the other forth......be happy......Your rich!”

Stonehand, stunned, was about to comment.  But something dark moved in the background.  The lantern dwarf felt the slayer tackle him, and was about to complain until he realized the spot where he had been standing was covered with a web.

The lights went out from the sides of the cavern.  Only the faint glow of it was left.  Stonehand heard a scream.  Then a hiss.... coming forward slowly.   Stonehand jumped up, narrowly avoiding the web that was thrown at him.

He knew these caverns well and was going to have to make a run for it.  Maybe the other dwarves would keep up, maybe they wouldn’t.  Either way, Stonehand had no death-wish.  He sprinted towards the staircase to Goldenhold-over five miles away- he had no choice to go that far.  Maybe he would find an outpost underground as a safe house, and signal help to come.

As he sprinted, he knew a pool of water was in front of him....  He stopped, nervous.  It was a large body of water and he couldn’t make it across in one jump and he knew it, and he knew something dangerous was waiting.  He was about to head back....

He heard a hiss.  He jumped.  A forth over the water, he started to fall down, but he suddenly had a plan.  He twisted to his left, his feet touching the wall, he started to slip but he jumped once more, putting all the strength in his legs, and made it barely onto the shore, his boots squeaking against the mud. 

He couldn’t help but listen to the various cave life- it was starting to become loud as various creatures made prey out of the short dwarf when they saw him.

The evil hiss still followed.  He ran more, and eventually hit a door.  He opened it quickly and made it in, a web slamming into it as he closed it shut.

Soon, he had the greatest opportunity to study a dwarves internal autonomy.  The lantern dwarf was getting dissected by various cave creatures, and he watched this through a one-way window.  I think that was a heart.  Ow.

Then after sitting in there for an hour, he saw short humanoids move along the caverns.  They seemed to be comfortable with their surroundings down there- even more so than the dwarves, creeping along quietly without being noticed by anyone but him, even the monsters that had hissed at him had backed away from these things- scared, almost terrified.

The darkness made it hard for him to see them, like as if clouds obscured his vision.  But he knew they weren’t elves, or humans, or even goblins.  They were of the surface.  But they radiated evil like fire radiates heat.

He knew what they were after a minute or two of watching them pour towards the direction of Goldenhold by the hundreds- there may have been even over a thousand, but it took a hideous shreek of terror for him to realize it, and believe it. Gremlins.  But why so many?

He wonder what made them so bold to attack the city now.  Surely the military was too strong for them?  It’s not like as if they had been attacked recently or anything... right?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 06:07:48 pm »

Quote from: RabidAnubis
Gremlins.  But why so many?

Someone fed them after midnight.
Also, nitpick fix, anatomy not autonomy:D

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 10:12:46 pm »

NITPICKER!  RAWR

Lol.  So an army of gremlins from the bottom and an army of humans from the top.

Soon more will be there too!  Party!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »

never challange the dwarves in THEIR CAVERNS!
well, unless you like extra crispy.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

compoundoverkillcornbread

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY ENSURES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 12:48:25 pm »

Amazing! The story gets more and more intense!

Keep up the good work!
haha no, but you told me to be insane. This is just a fragment of my insanity.
Not too insane, please.  We've got the insanity of The Master to deal with, I don't know if we can survive two ponies being totally bonkers
Oh man, I am really testing out the strength of this quote system today...TROLOLOLOLO!!

compoundoverkillcornbread

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY ENSURES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »

never challange the dwarves in THEIR CAVERNS!
well, unless you like extra crispy.

Sigged!
haha no, but you told me to be insane. This is just a fragment of my insanity.
Not too insane, please.  We've got the insanity of The Master to deal with, I don't know if we can survive two ponies being totally bonkers
Oh man, I am really testing out the strength of this quote system today...TROLOLOLOLO!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »

NITPICKER!  RAWR

Lol.  So an army of gremlins from the bottom and an army of humans from the top.

Soon more will be there too!  Party!

I'M SORRY D:

Ah hah yeah, I'm waiting for the ensuing carnage when the gremlins run straight into a wall of humans.....

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »

You guys do realize that sometimes I just wait for you guys to make up a bunch of ideas theories and pick my favorite right?

I bet authors do that too.....  hmm........

I may have to ask.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 04:33:24 pm »

Karakzon of the under caverns at your service. were you damn well keep in practice and know how to get away or fight. Else you end up in somethings stomach.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 7: An Arrow Legendary

If anyone had looked at him then, a view of confusion would have been seen on his face.  Just like the rest of his armies.  WHAT?  He thought.  Why are they opening their gate?  They haven’t rounded up the militia yet... that would take at least a day.  Considering this is a fortress of millions though... that would take much longer likely.  They are in no position for a charge.... and even if they were... the only thing that could happen is them losing some men....

Most of his men were looking dumb-found at the gate.  Some dropped their weapons and were stepping back.  Zeon, his reaction quick.  “They have opened the gate!  It’s now or never!”

A strongman walked up to him -a knight probably- and after explaining that he was Kyle, he had to ask if the general thought there were men coming out of the gate, or something worse...

Zeon smiled at him on the inside, but on the outside he managed to portray a face of determination and confidence.  There was no reason to let his troops question the idea of something strong coming through the gate.  Now that he thought about it, that man would be dead if he had found his horse in time for the initial charge when the gate was open initially.

He addressed the young knight after taking in his appearance- he was a strongly built man, Zeon though that he couldn’t be more than twenty at most, but he was taller than the general, and may have thought Zeon the weaker if they had been standing on even ground.  But for his luck, the general was on a hill at the time, making him stand over a foot taller than the man before him- he must have loomed, seeming like an eight foot giant. 

By the look on the young knight’s face, he could tell that he didn’t notice the hill- or if he did that it didn’t add that much height.  By the look in his eyes Zeon could tell that he thought Zeon was incredible, and he knew that people who thought of you that way always thought that you are taller than you really are.  He also noticed the knight had really thick armor, and more importantly a war maul, one that could easily smash through the dwarvern shield line if he was standing still when he swung it... if he was mounted though........

“Find your horse.  Join me in the charge.”  Kyle quickly ran off, finding his horse in a moment, riding up next to Zeon.  He told a young boy, a messenger, to send a message through his army that they were going to do a jogging formation to the front gate.  He wanted his army to be fast but organized in case he had to pull back.  Zeon mounted his horse that was next to him, swinging into it effortlessly, despite the weight of his armor. 

Within a minute of the gate starting to open, Zeon’s army was starting behind him, Kyle the only man next to him.  He watched the person in charge, possibly the leader of the defense, yell at his own people.  Zeon yelled his own men encouragement, and they started to move towards the front of the dwarvern defenses.

Suddenly, a crack resounded through the valley.  Several troops fell down, on both sides, grabbing their ears.  But Zeon didn’t.  He knew what the slam meant, and it was music to his ears.  After a question from Kyle, Zeon yelled to everyone, “Those idiots jammed their gate!  Tell the siege weapons to start firing again, and let’s move!”

Laughing, and in good cheer, the human army charged.  It only took them only a few minutes to cross that mile.  Zeon on his white stallion went a little ahead.  Within the last minute, the enemy Captain had organized his troops into simple lines, disorganized for the most part, and the enemy morale wavering.  He started to run away down the massive hallway, to tell the archers personally to get the hell up there.  Zeon’s army laughed as they heard his yell and the voice of their commander cracking out of shock.

Zeon had full white armor, shield, sword.  But the other thing he had was a bow.  Over his years in the military, of conquest, conquering, and defeating his enemies he learned fighting styles from those he captured.  One of those was the way of the horse archer from the nomads that he often defeated, he once considered them savages, forcing them into the ways of agriculture and trade.  But once he found out that their commoners skill on horseback even matched those of the best knights, he couldn’t help but admire them, and take many knights of from that area, who often taught him the ways of the horse even as he taught them the ways of the sword.

Zeon hoped he had learned enough from them.  He pulled out his wooden recurve bow, which had been recently polished and restrung for this battle by his servants.  He pulled an arrow out of his leather saddlebag in a second, too quick for most to notice.

He notched it.  He pulled back the string.  He fired.  This arrow had a destiny.

It flew into the air, the yellow feathers on it’s tail seeming to blend in with the sun as it flew in a high arch.  As it reached the high point in the arch, many people watched it, the Captain of the Guard turning his head around to see what the commotion was about even as he ran.

It soared down.  The Captain had a look of shock on his face as the quarter mile shot slammed into his arm.  He had a look of unbelief like most of the guards on his face.  The general had no clue that his soon to be nemesis was thinking.. Over a thousand feet.... oh my.... right before he tripped and yowled in pain.

The shot had moved slightly due to the wind, which Zeon misjudged.  To him, it was a failure as a soldier.  But when his own army heard the scream of the enemy after a few moments, along with the loud thwack of an arrow on a quiet battlefield, they cheered, charging straight into the enemy line.  That shot was legendary, even though it’s shooter called it a fail.

And then there was contact.  Soon to be followed by the pools of blood.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:00:36 pm by RabidAnubis »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »

Oh those poor humans are in for it now...

Spoiler: Yo dawg... (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30