Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 108933 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Story)
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »

Oh those poor humans are in for it now...

Spoiler: Yo dawg... (click to show/hide)

Thanks for that one.  You know, I would like it if you posted all the mistakes.  If this turns out to be as long as I think it will be (See: a novel) then I will need an editor.  Sorry for making fun of your nitpicking earlier, because honestly I type these very quickly.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 06:20:51 pm »

It's all in good !FUN!

I wasn't taking it seriously at all either ;P

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 04:42:31 pm »

(Sorry!  Tried to post yesterday but my mom was like, YOU HAVE TO GO TO BED!)

Goldenhold
Chapter 8: Lake of Fire

The captain’s vision swam in circles, multicolored.  Something was coming out of his arm... it was... a red liquid.  He waited a moment, as most of the walls returned to their normal shade of silver,  but his arm remained covered in red.... his eyes moved up a little.  There was a stick.... in his arm.  OH MY ARMOK... is that an arrow?  Blackness.

He woke up again, everything swimming in circles, but slower this time.  He wasn’t going to die from it anytime soon, which was a relief for him.  Infection may have set in later, but that would be no problem for the captain, the doctors of Goldenhold were easily the best in the world, having over a hundred years of experience commonly.

He pushed himself with a heave of effort onto his knees and faced the battle to see the first death of this engagement just in time.  A tall knight, who must have been taller than the general he saw earlier, lifted up a massive war maul with one hand as if it were a feather, then along with the velocity of the charge swung it at the defender’s front line, which was staggered more than it should have been, the defenders in too much fear to think straight and get in formation.

The sound of metal on metal was heard, the tower shield cracking was heard by everyone, a loud SNAP echoing through the hall.  Then there was a sound of cracking, and he knew that the dwarves bones were being crushed and compiled despite the resistance of the armor.  Then he heard that sound two times over, the hammer going through two more of his dwarves with little resistance, the fourth finally managing to block it with his shield, and even then, the defender’s arm broke and the guard flew beck into the person right behind him, becoming airborne for a moment.

The knight rose his maul again, ready to fight the next few dwarves.  The captain’s troops all took one step back, the defenders clearly unsure of themselves.  Before, they were wavering.  Now they were on the brink of fleeing.

He got on his feet and looked away, but despite that he still heard the crunching sound two more times, along with their corresponding cracks and echoes.  He was lucky not to have seen the blood pooling on the ground by the front line.

He hoped help would arrive.  But he would have to retreat.... only if he could muster the strength to yell.  One of his officers walked up, knowing he only had seconds to spread the message, he asked the captain if they should retreat.

The captain barely managed a nod, and started walking across the hall.  More swords, spears, and bows were joining the conflict after a moment, making the hall sound like one of the gigantic orchestras the dwarves of Gemcross had in their monstrous monasteries.

Gaining strength from adrenaline, he started a jog.  He heard his line break even before the officer gave the order.  Turning back, he didn’t see the officer running with them.  He only heard the screams of the poor dwarf.

Soon there was a dip in the ground, about fifty feet long and three feet deep and the captain remembered something.  Lava trenches!  “PULL THE LEVER!”  He sped up to a jog.  A dwarf started to run by him.  The captain managed a look at him, taking note of his terrified features, when he heard cranks of the mechanisms start to work.  A strong, powerful voice told the invaders to stop before the trenches after hearing the mechanisms.

After a few questions from the invading troops to their leader, the general explained it was a moat.  This made the captain think about if he had invaded other fortresses.... 

He didn’t get to complete his thoughts.  After the sound of a bow shooting, the dwarf next to him fell down, an arrow protruding out of the guard’s skull.  The captain doubled his speed, more terrified than ever right then.  He knew he was being targeted, so he ran zig zags. 

A look behind him told the captain that less than a quarter of the defenders had made it to the dip- some being shot down by the enemy commander as he watched.  The commander eyed the captain, and after a moment of staring the look of hatred in his eyes shined, screaming the words, I will win this.  I have won before.  I haven’t lost.  You aren’t messing with my record.

The captain could do nothing but run, and after reaching the other side, he watched the opposing commander, who was illuminated by the lava that poured into the dip, separating the two sides of the conflict as if there had been some sort of divine intervention. 

The lake of fire separated them.  The lake of fire protected one side, but closed the ones it guarded from the outside.  The lake of fire was only fifty feet long. 

The lake of fire didn’t stop arrows.  The lake of fire didn’t stop the pain in the captain’s stomach, and it certainly didn’t stop the glorious cheers from the opposing side, or even the smile on the face of the general from beaming to those across the pit.  The lake of fire didn’t stop the chaos caused by the guards or the doctors trying to tell everyone to get out of the way.  And the lake of fire certainly didn’t stop the echoes of all those noises as they rang through the captains head as he sank into a sea of blackness once more.

Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 04:56:27 pm »

Aweeeesome! Posting to watch!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 05:23:21 pm »

Poor Captain. I half expected a walkway to rise out of the magma :P

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »

Whut you mean?  He made it?

He just got shot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:39 pm »

Whut you mean?  He made it?

He just got shot.

Nah, I was hoping for the Dwarves to fight atop a walkway surrounded by magma, where the humans fuelled with their hubris, would charge, and an epic battle would commence, possibly altering the course of the battle.
[And the captain would get shot lol]

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »

the captains going to get fired for his stupidity eather way.

I just want to see the millatery commander come forth to show this human general exactly what hes messing with.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2011, 06:18:22 pm »

Well, in short here are a few plans for the future.  These are spoilers, most minor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MASSIVE SPOILER

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you respond to a spoiler, do so through a PM or spoiler response.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »

Or neglect to spoil yourself in the first place. :P

Excellent update. Hoping for more soon.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 07:56:28 pm »

Or neglect to spoil yourself in the first place. :P

Excellent update. Hoping for more soon.

I'm one of those people who really don't mind spoilers- As long as they aren't overly detailed.

I'll be putting another one up today (Hopefully) as that one was yesterdays.  I'm going to try and keep a pace of one per day, so eventually I may finish this.

Also, according to The science fiction and fantasy writers of America my story is officially a novelette length war.  YAY!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 06:40:04 pm »

(Okay.  You guys wanted a bad ass dwarf- here you go.)

Goldenhold
Chapter 9: Ale After Agony

Stonehand’s curiosity was over.  The gremlins were assaulting, and he had to get back before they did to warn the people to pull up the bridge to the underground, along with turning off the hydraulic elevator that he had ridden up and down in so many time for the barges. 

He could imagine the havoc they could reck in his head.  Destroying homes in order to steal their valuable furniture, leaving bodies haphazardly in the roads because they had to move them out of the way in order to leave an aisle open for wagons of valuables.  He hadn’t heard much about gremlins, and didn’t know what they could do.  Maybe they would just invite bigger things along, or transform into pidgins.  He picked up a knife in the back room, sliding it into his boot.

He couldn’t bear any of those thoughts.  He had to go, and now.  He opened the door, sprinting to the area where the gremlins were.... they were not happy to see him.  They started on the attack, but Stonehand found them weak and sluggish and was able to dodge them until he ran past them.  They didn’t seem upset or curse though, continuing slowly on their trek. 

As soon as he was past them he jumped over a small pool and sprinted past- the gremlins continued to walk slowly, and he soon found out why, and decided that maybe it would have been better to fight the gremlins.

Every step he made echoed in the cavern as if a marching band of drums were being played in the massive caves.  Then he heard something else’s echo- the sound of a raging hiss, and shuffled noises came from above.  The gremlins all stopped moving at that moment.

He did the only thing he could- run like hell.  He sprinted, he kept sprinting, and even when there were pools in front of him he jumped without hesitation or thinking, and kept going.  He must have covered a few miles within those twenty minutes.

But the sounds of the cave creature got louder, closer, and more eerie because it seemed as if he was trying to pad it’s touch on the walls, as if to sneak up.  Stonehand couldn’t have know if that was what it was doing- very little was known about the creatures this deep -and he had no intention of figuring them out personally.  He kept running. 

The sound got closer and closer, and Stonehand’s vision was starting to blur from the exhaustion, and his lungs heaved so loudly that someone would have thought there was a billion people for all the noise it made, the echoes only making that worse, he heard his own exhaustion and fear constantly, never escaping the noise it made.

He had no choice after a few more moments.  He was going to stop and take a break or die- and he was only what seemed to be two-thirds of the way there.  He’d rather suffer a fast death fighting than a slow one for being stupid.  Turning around, he tried to make his eyes adjust to see what was approaching.

The dwarf heard and saw nothing.  Nothing at all, nothing even remotely scary.  He was about to be relieved when he heard a thud, and the earth shook beneath his feet.  He fell, and time slowed for him.  His head hit the ground but his legs were aching more than his head. 

He punched infront of himself randomly with his right arm, and his arm entered into a moist cave- then he realized it was a mouth of a serpent, trying to pull him in.  He fought, he struggled, he tried to break free, but it didn’t work.  The only thing he could do was try and slow his demise.

The fisherdwarf planted his feet in the ground, struggling.  The tongue wrapped against his arm, slimy.  He heard something snap, and his arm lost the sensation of feeling.  Before he went in, he muttered a prayer to Armok, hoping that he would have an afterlife of lush fields.

Stonehand was pulled violently into the esophagus of the creature, the throat compressing him as if he was being crushed under rock collapsing from the ceiling in some part of the fortress that was out of repair.

Above, the siege was going badly.  Above, the humans were crying victory.  Above, the captain was shot.  And above, Kyle was wiping the blood off of his maul, along with various bits and guts of dwarves.

But down there, Stonehand only saw the blackness of the throat.  He struggled to reach for his boot, but the compressions got worse.  He started to slide down- he guessed to the stomach of the creature.  He knew snakes could take years to digest things, and it would be a painful death since he wasn’t bit and paralyzed by the serpents fangs... which he didn’t see but guessed were there.  He didn’t even know how big the thing was.....    Acid ate at him, but the stomach was loose...  His prayers were answered.

A few minutes later, a group of miners found a serpent, writhing in pain, right outside the lower gates to Goldenhold.  Confused, they just sat and watched the hundred foot long snake through the light of their lanterns struggle against itself, twisting against the cave floors.

One man asked the others what they thought was happening- and he didn’t have time for an answer.  The snake’s eyes rolled up into it’s head, the two massive orbs rotating slowly.

Then they saw a knife tear through the scales- from beneath.  Puzzled, they couldn’t take their eyes off the hideous sight, guts and blood pouring out as if it was a gusher of water.  The hole was thickened by the knife until a thin piece was cut out.

Suddenly, a dwarf, covered in slime, climbed out, carrying a dagger, his beard singed by the acids of the stomach.  His clothes were seeming to melt as he stood there for a moment, but as he jumped twenty feet down off the massive body of the serpent, he seemed fine, but really angry.

He said, “We are under attack by a group of Gremlins.  Ring the bell and close the bridges to the caverns of the deep.”  Considering his achievement, the whole group would soon obey him like a god.  Before they could ask about anything else, the slayer one thing before leaving them behind, confused.

“I’m getting a drink.”
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:48:55 pm by RabidAnubis »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:29 pm »

Epic winning.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »

Epic winning.

How do you respond so quickly?

It seems as if your sitting and WAITING for me to post something....

Sorta creepy really.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 06:54:59 pm »

Epic winning.

How do you respond so quickly?

It seems as if your sitting and WAITING for me to post something....

Sorta creepy really.

Now why would I do that...

MUAH HA HA HA HA HA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30