Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110406 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Story)
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2011, 10:56:18 am »

(XD.  Thanks guys.  And other people said they read my name like that, so no problem there.)

Goldenhold
Chapter 13: Fear Of Dissent

Zeon had just finished the fire trench when no-one walked in.  He wondered where they were, and after a few hours he simply told a party to go outside and see who the hell blew those trumpets.  They were probably an intelligent and human race.  The dwarves used drums, the goblins screamed, the elves batted wood against other wood, making a terrifying war sound.  The trumpets were mostly a human instrument, which was both relieving and terrifying. 

When they came back, a gigantic caravan was with them, carrying various ‘exotic’ crafts that dwarves would love, paintings of lavish country sides, among food of the oversea oceans and venison from the land.

Along with it were a number of guards, at least a fifth of the size of Zeon’s original army.  They must have traveled from far away for something like that to be necessary.  At the lead of the caravan was something strange though.  The main merchant was a girl.  By looks, she couldn’t have been more than eighteen, still in the prime physically for a female.

Somehow, the only people surprised at this were Zeon’s forces.  The dwarves were busy retreating, and the caravan ignored the carnage that lie everywhere, or even how Kyle returned, screaming in victory at the taking of the tower.  They only stopped once they arrived in front of Zeon, and the girl smiled innocently.

“So what’s going on here, mister?  Seems like a battle happened here?”  She didn’t really seem to mind, the dress she wore hugging her curves.  She shook slowly back and forth, the black dress flowing around her feet.

The only man unaffected was Zeon.  He was too experienced to fall for something like this.  He was older, wiser, and knew how female businesswoman got where they were.  However, he couldn’t help but waver for a second as he noticed his own troops gaping at her.  Stomping his foot on the ground, they stopped instantly, they were worrying about the discipline he would give if they continued.   

The girl’s smile lowered slightly as soon as she realized Zeon wasn’t easy, and that he had his troops loyalty and fear.  “Okay.  Your storming Goldenhold.  Courageous, but any person can read your face and tell your worried.  Everyone has heard that this is nothing compared to the dangers further and further in, traps all the way to the king’s hall.  Admit that your going to need... help.”

His own soldiers stared at him.  He looked at them, and they were exhausted, tired, and quite clearly needed a break.  “I’ll split the findings, but what can you do for me?  There is something about you that I can’t see, but I know it’s there.”

The girl giggled for a moment, took a step forward, winked, “Many things.  I didn’t totally rely on beauty to get where I am.  There was some... dirty business, if you understand what I mean.”  She pulled out a knife, spinning it in perfect circles, a sign of control and skill.  “By the way, my name is Zandria.”

The general raised an eyebrow, and noticed his soldiers were gaping again.  This time, he kicked Kyle in the shin, who was unfortunate to be the closest at this point.  His worst fear was dissent from his troops, and this girl was causing it.  “If any of them start to gape at you, I give you permission to do whatever you want to them.  I’m sorry about the impoliteness of my army.”

Zandria smiled again, but not in the same way.  It was slightly devious.  “We’ll set up our camp in yours if you don’t mind, but we are tired from traveling and would enjoy some rest.  I wouldn’t suggest going around the corner yet though.  Wait for the enemy to feel comfortable and become lazy.”  She quickly ordered her men to set her tent, and told them to place their blankets where they would sleep in the massive hallway.  When She placed her tent right between the only other one, and Zeon frowned.

The tent was his.  He needed the help so he didn’t say anything, but he was beginning to wonder if this was a good idea.  Either way, there was no backing out of it now.  And Kyle received another kick in the shin as soon as Zandria walked away, followed up by a whack on the back of the head.  But after wincing the knight returned to smiling again, and Zeon knew it was hopeless.

The next morning, Zeon walked out of his tent.  Nothing had happened in the previous night, which didn’t surprise Zeon.  However, he was surprised when he didn’t find Kyle anywhere... and after asking his troops he figured out that he was talking “Strategy” with her around the corner in the hallway. 

However, as he drew closer he heard a giggle from the woman.  Enraged, Zeon walked up as fast as he could, but rather than kicking one of them he asked a simple question to them.  “So what is the plan?  You’ve been working at it all morning out here so you MUST know.”  His voice was so angry that hearing a dragon’s yell would have been slightly less terrifying. 

They both went “Umm...” a clear sign that their conversation had not been about strategy.  At least not strategy on the battlefield.  “Okay.  Chances are that whatever lays ahead needs to be scouted.  I already did, and I can tell you that there is a three hundred foot gap between our side and theirs, the bridge is raised already.  How do we plan on getting across?”

They both stared at him, waiting for him to answer like a wise man does, asking a question already knowing the answer.  But after a reasonable gap he simply shrugged.  “I really don’t know what to do.  If neither of you has any thoughts we might as well pack up and go home.  A huge waste, but better than throwing ourselves into that gorge of death.”

The girl was the first to respond, her games possibly over for that moment.  “We could go across the gorge via rope.”  Both of them looked at her like she was crazy, and Kyle finally stopped staring at her with that light in his eyes, which made Zeon happy.  “We’ve done it before for our caravans.  We could take the ballistas, fire an arrow with a rope trailing behind it, and create a rope bridge.  Risky, but the dwarves probably don’t have that many troops trying to defend.  They are overconfident that we can’t cross.”

Zeon was surprised once more.  “How did you get your caravans across then?  I’m certain that the rope couldn’t hold them up!”

The merchant smiled even wider.  “I don’t mean a piece of string.  You’ll see what I mean when we get there.  Until then, ready your troops.” 

They marched.  He noticed that Kyle kept glancing at her, but quickly turned away from fear of Zeon noticing.  He didn’t succeed.  They marched on to the gorge, the dwarves readying themselves for the assault.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »

I would offer to do a cover, but at the moment I'm crowded with projects and college work. But great story btw

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2011, 07:51:51 pm »

I would offer to do a cover, but at the moment I'm crowded with projects and college work. But great story btw

Thanks!  GL in college!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

Thanks!  GL in college!
Thank you, I also invision the cover being the human commander giving the order to charge after the gate opens and jams. And showing it from the humans side of view so it shows Goldenhold

EDIT: I have decided and would like to try my hand at it. Could you PM the complete description of Zeon (And Possibly Kyle) and I mean lovenly detailed lol
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:03:12 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2011, 10:21:59 pm »

Thanks!  GL in college!
Thank you, I also invision the cover being the human commander giving the order to charge after the gate opens and jams. And showing it from the humans side of view so it shows Goldenhold

EDIT: I have decided and would like to try my hand at it. Could you PM the complete description of Zeon (And Possibly Kyle) and I mean lovenly detailed lol

Hmmm..... I'll just be sure to describe the characters more for later in the story, so you'll have easier time at it.  Anyways, there will be scene worth dying for later, and I don't want you to make a cover for a later part.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:31:25 pm by RabidAnubis »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »

Thanks!  GL in college!

Hmmm..... I'll just be sure to describe the characters more for later in the story, so you'll have easier time at it.

That works too, could have the describing be from a spy first seeing them or a guard that retreated giving a description of them. Ha it's your story and I'm eagerly waiting for more. Thanks for a great story

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2011, 01:05:48 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 14: War of Deeps

The captain was in the hospital.  But that didn’t mean the fight wasn’t over.  One of his commanders had taken his place.  That dwarf was Karakzon, and right now there was some serious fighting in the depths of Goldenhold.  A gremlin jumped at him, and he swung his axe, cutting it clean in half as the steel blade cut through the body, dots of rubies going to the skies.

They had lit the caverns, the hue telling all the dwarves to run back to the bridge that separated the caverns from the heart of the fortress.  Several were cut down by the gremlins, who had started to pick up various weapons that the now dead dwarves dropped to the floor. 

The echoes were almost enough to drive everyone there mad, a scream or a plead for help, a prayer or a slash, the distinct sound of metal on metal or that of metal cutting through flesh, each sound heard ten times when only one had really been there.

It was the most horrid way to fight.  The commander heard a cry for help, he started to face that way, but then he heard it from the other side, he turned around once more.  He felt useless, unable to help his friends besides easing the tide of foes from them.  He cut off one’s head, decapitating the creature before even giving it the chance to scream.

There were still others, but he had to fall back, and now was the chance.  He yelled as loud as he could, “TO THE HILL!”  What he meant was the corpse of the serpent that stonehand had killed.  It was big enough to act as a defensive barrier easily. 

A bolt flew in front of his face, forcing him to pause for a moment in his sprint.  His heart beat faster, and adrenaline flowed through his veins like fire spreading through a forest.  A gremlin jumped beside him only to be cut down by the steel of his axe.

He continued to run, the sound of his boots echoing like everything else in those damned caves.  Only when he was behind the barricade did he stop to catch a breath, and only for a few seconds.  One of his officers spoke, but he wasn’t heard above the racket of the caverns. 

Karakzon pointed to his ear and shook his head, the braids of his beard flapping in the false wind the movement had to make.

The officer drew a few words into the floor, which were easy enough to read.  Fall back to the ramps?  We could make a stand there?  Karakzon shook his head, writing into the earth, he wrote back, We need to give the miners and other civilians more time to return.  The officer nodded and gave off a slight frown but knew that he had to obey orders.  Karakzon almost decided to give in, but he knew he had to do what was right, not what he wanted for himself.

A gremlin jumped down on top of him after it climbed over the side.  Karakzon punched the thing in the face, throwing it off.  One of his troops took it down with a bolt to the neck, only to have the same thing happen to him, the crossbow dwarf dead before he hit the ground.

He noticed a barge full of civilians pull up, jumping off and making a run to the spiraling ramps.  He was about to help them, but then a gremlin jumped in front of him, stabbing his arm, tearing the muscle.  Blood splattered the gremlins face when he pulled the knife out, going for the jugular next.  The dwarf dropped the axe, helpless now.

But Karakzon had a moment to think as the gremlin readied to strike once more, then he proceeded to kick the gremlin in the shin, as hard as he could.  The gremlin fell, and almost managed to jump back into the fight.  But his face was smashed in by application of dwarf boot to face.

But that was it.  The defenders slew as many as they could, and any other civilians were going to have to make it outside of comfort.  “RETREAT!  BACK TO THE SPIRALING RAMP!”
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:41:19 pm by RabidAnubis »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2011, 01:24:54 pm »

In paragraph 6 I think you meant "Flew" and there is a few grammer errors. But my writing is almost the same, Still very good :)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2011, 01:42:18 pm »

In paragraph 6 I think you meant "Flew" and there is a few grammer errors. But my writing is almost the same, Still very good :)

The content makes the piece, not the grammar. =)

I thought there was something wrong.

Loudwhispers, get over here.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »

(Y) nice.

Love my rendition. Is Golden hold forgotten beast proof? I know this usualy means the pillars of rock that hold up the cavern are hollowed out and filled with archery slits.

Gonna have some gremlin kebabs tonight.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »

NOTHING IS PROFF.

EDIT: NOTHING IS PROF

EDIT: NOTHING IS PROOF

BTW how do you play DF if your dyslexic?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:22:10 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2011, 07:56:32 pm »

Busy today.  No update.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2011, 03:36:27 pm »

Been on a few days of bay12 hiatus :d

I hope this quote taken out of context makes up for it :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2011, 05:37:25 pm »

Been on a few days of bay12 hiatus :d

I hope this quote taken out of context makes up for it :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OH MY GOD.

Should I correct it or see if other people get it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »

I vote keep it xD
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30