Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110765 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Story)
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:37 am »

Journel of Karakzon:

Well the seige was going well for the time being, wile those humans were busy pouring themselfs into the moat that we can just reflood again when theyve finished cooling it off and the deeps were sealed from the gremlins, the damnable goblins show up.

At the rate at wich the bunkers have been compromised so far, i feel well have to go into lockdown mode and start moving the civilians into the inner citadel of goldenhold, as a precausion. I cant have helpless civvies and children running around if the fighting manages to get into the streets. Im sure it wont come to that, but with the sheer numbers of goblins here and the other seiges on top, im not sure we have enought forces to spread between all the defensive placements. Goldenhold has slacked off with its millatery trainning in the past few hundred years. Old records suggest we used to have over a thousand warriors backed up by a vast millita. I wonder wich pompus fool decided to cut that down for a slice of more gold.

Eather way, ill have to spread the forces and see what old tricks goldenhold still has left wile the civvies retreat. If they manage to breach the defences ill have to do a staggerd retreat back to the citadel.

*Below are drawn battle plans for staggerd retreat routes into goldenholds centre*

Ill have to get one of the arcitech guild heads to give me a layout of the cavern passages and any routes in and out of the city.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2011, 07:09:42 am »

The characters have really developed, in a nonchalant messed up Dorfy way.

SCREW YOU SANITY!!! I HAVE STORIES TO WRITE!!!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2011, 11:25:01 am »

@Karakzon

I'll add that to the main post.  Thanks for the contribution.

@Loudwhispers

Well I'm writing it to be realistic based on how the world is really managed!  I'm not sure if Toady One made DF to make fun of the real world. 

@all

See, while stronghammer is the COTG, he is awful.  Karakzon is actually a pretty competent commander, but he will be replaced by the old COTG in two days.

In short, that is how long Karakzon has to win the siege.

--------

Amud Ikled has the strongest and the least expected force at this point.  No one expected him to pull up at this point, so basically Karakzon is a very strong commander to be able to react that quickly against him.

In short, Loudwhispers controls just short of a hundred thousand goblins right on that beach.  A thousand trolls, maybe fifty of them elite and well armored.

--------

Meanwhile, Zeon is probably better at commanding his forces than anyone else, and with the new reinforcements he should be able to cross the gorge via carvan on rope because Karakzon had to call people away from there.

However, if he spots the goblins he would probably decide to fight them over the dwarves.  His parents were killed by a goblin ambush, and he sort of hates them.

--------

The gremlins of the deeps really just shut off the caverns, and if Karakzon wanted to he could probably storm down there and remove the forces.  Now the dwarves have to dig straight down in order to avoid the caverns.....
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:13 am »

Poor Goldenhold.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2011, 01:08:03 pm »

Your welcome :)

Although im working on what knowledge i have available, splitting the forces and starting a lock down is the most prudent course of action.
My thoughts/plans for defence of goldenhold:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All of this will be servearly held up by the lack of numbers and the old COTG's inevitable stupidity.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »

Your welcome :)

Although im working on what knowledge i have available, splitting the forces and starting a lock down is the most prudent course of action.
My thoughts/plans for defence of goldenhold:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All of this will be servearly held up by the lack of numbers and the old COTG's inevitable stupidity.

Okay.  A few questions.

The goblins just got out of the beach, and only the fastest have made it to the bunkers.

Also, I think you need a rough sketch of Goldenhold's inner workings.

There is far too much wealth in this fortress to think of retreating- this fortress probably has over 50% of the planets wealth in it's walls, and over 90% of the world's harvested adamantine.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2011, 01:39:21 pm »

There is far too much wealth in this fortress to think of retreating- this fortress probably has over 50% of the planets wealth in it's walls, and over 90% of the world's harvested adamantine.

Oh my.

Well I'd doubt the fastest Goblins have made it to the bunkers, only the dimmest and the bravest. The fastest are probably hiding in ambush. 'Cos this ere general knows a few things about Dwarf Fortresses, and he's going to wait for the stupid to clog up the weapon traps first! THEN SEND IN THE SIEGE WEAPONS! FLUSH OUT THE MARKSDWARVES! THEN SEND IN THE FOOT SOLDIERS MUAH HA HA HA
(Rest of the post cancelled due to insane laughter).

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2011, 01:42:53 pm »

Did I ever describe the entrance bridge?  Oh well.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2011, 01:51:59 pm »

Okay.  A few questions.

The goblins just got out of the beach, and only the fastest have made it to the bunkers.

Also, I think you need a rough sketch of Goldenhold's inner workings.

Concerning the workings: Im ment to be a resident, so ill know all the basics, just not the old minning tunnels, dead ends, walled in passageways etc, so it wouldnt be possible to ask for anything other than an arcitecht who can tell whats been built/sealed in and whats normal rock.
 As for abandoning: this is last of last resorts, if they get into the city propper, my guy kind of values dwarven lives over having a gold paved floor. The fortress will still be here wile the humans and goblins are fighting over it for when any civalisation army from the other dwarven settlements get their act in gear, or in years from now when the dwarves march to retake their throne. We lose implicidly if all the dwarves are dead. Sure well fight like the madness of armok himself to the last, but well be back if all is lost. If we all die defending this just for the treasure, well have no chance of mouting those goblins and humans and gremlings on our settlement walls when our descendets/others return for their vengance.

What is lost can be rediscoverd, what is shatterd can be remade, but what is slain can never rise again.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2011, 02:26:16 pm »

(VALUING LIVES OVER GOLD?   :o)

I think I'm going to go ahead and describe the defenses from both ways- They do meet before the city proper.

From the Land (Zeon's route)

Bridge(Crossed)
Gates(Jammed Closed)
Tower(Stormed)
Lake of Fire(Crossed)
Bridges through the winding halls (Bypassed, defenses were not ready in time)
Greatest Gorge (Fighting at)

Here is what is behind that.

A secondary gate, with two steel statues of dwarves with their mouths open.  They can shoot lava out, flooding the close end of the Gorge as a delay (A different commander had the same problem as Karakzon)

Behind the gate is a room with a cage and a muzzled dragon.

Behind that is another gate, with visible square holes twenty feet high, crossbowdwarves could shoot through them and down into the dragon chamber.

The chamber behind this gate is flood able, also it is connected to the staircase (Low enough that only a dwarf or goblin could walk through) that leads to the high points for the Zykor, the bridges that go over the winding halls, the barracks (Empty) that connect to those bridges, along with Karakzon's office above the gorge.

There is a staircase on the far end of this chamber.  While fortifications and ballistas aim down into the stairway, it splits into two paths. 

I'll get the rest later.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2011, 03:30:42 pm »

Sounds good. Question: Are Dragons intelligant in your universe or just realy angry rare beasts?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »

Sounds good. Question: Are Dragons intelligent in your universe or just really angry rare beasts?

(Get firefox, it has spell check)

I'm still wondering.

ToadyOne puts them up as either or, they steal things, people worship them, but they don't seem to have than many rules.  They could be tamed in .40d

I'd say that it depends on what dragons they are around and if they are tamed.  Language does amazing things to the brain, it lets us feel thoughts rather than just wild emotions.

I would say they have the capacity to be intelligent, but most don't choose to be or aren't tamed or in contact with other dragons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:52 pm »

They could have their own personal languages, that makes it seem like they're mute lunatics to everyone else, but to devout followers who learn their tongue..

UDLHRLUDHLUHDLUHLUH

(Get firefox, it has spell check)

OOOOOOAFJOWIAOIJLD GRAMMAR SLAP!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2011, 04:22:21 pm »

i use firefox. spell check is an add on i dont use so as not to slow my browsing speed down xP

and was just wondering. A dragon made a deal with and cut free fights a hell of alot better than as a portable flamethrower.
i have 2 days to crack a seige, goldenhold has a crap tone of rare metals. Dragons love rare metals. This could eather be a massive bargin or ill get eaten, might as well try ^^

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2011, 06:09:15 pm »

i use firefox. spell check is an add on i dont use so as not to slow my browsing speed down xP

and was just wondering. A dragon made a deal with and cut free fights a hell of alot better than as a portable flamethrower.
i have 2 days to crack a seige, goldenhold has a crap tone of rare metals. Dragons love rare metals. This could eather be a massive bargin or ill get eaten, might as well try ^^

I will roll the dice to see if they are in your favor.

1/3 chance for cooperation, 1/3 chance ignored, 1/3 chance you'll get eaten.

Prolly happen around chapter 20.

I think this is less of a story and more of a roleplay with one writer, but everyone makes decisions.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30