Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 108938 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Story)
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2011, 06:11:03 pm »

well im done with my input for now :)
want to see the next installment/other stuff and how everyone else plans etc. xP
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »

Posting an update today, sorry for leaving you!  =(

Do you think was their any ages before Goldenhold?  Do you think that Goldenhold being the 'first' makes it mystical and mysterious, or do you think there should be forgotten ages?  Too long ago for even tales to speak of?  I mean, I haven't made any forgotten beasts, so should Goldenhold end up as the Forgotten age or no?

And by the way, Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:12:45 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2011, 11:25:58 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 18: Symphony of Metals

Music went through the halls of Goldenhold, everyone listening and dancing, overall having a great time.  The nobility liked to party, and they wanted EVERYONE to party with them.  They could not have a good time if they saw anyone in sorrow.

For once, the subjects were happy to comply with their superiors wants.  In fact, they volunteered for it.  Every year, during the darkest part of winter, they celebrated the founding of Goldenhold and with it the beginning of a new era.  It was also the first day of the year according to the calender of Goldenhold, although everyone else in the world said it was about a week later.  Well, they didn’t get to party.

Drinks splashed into the air, sloshing onto the ground as dwarves poured it into their mouths, some of it dripping down the long beards of the inhabitants.  Stonehand knew this was even more special than normal though.  People were talking about the new ‘King’s hall’ and how this one was over three times as big as the previous one.  The old one would be given to his second in command. 

Between beats in the music other sounds filled the hall.  The distinct clang of two silver goblets on each other, bronze barrels rolling down the hall, colliding with the pure gold floor as it reached it’s destination to refill the used barrel.  Eight lines of two columns were spaced evenly apart, each one covered in diamonds, and the diameter easily twice that of a small house.

As if on cue, the hall broke out in celebration and song.  Although most of the dwarves were drunk, the ones that still managed to retain their sanity sung a rather cheerful tune about the founding of the mountain home, and the beginning of the new era. 

Goldenhold, Goldenhold,
Streets of silver walls of gold.
Goldenhold, Goldenhold,
The first of the seven holds.

Here is the tale of seven dwarves,
as they did something incredible.
Here is the tale of seven dwarves,
as they founded something impossible.

Oh, the forests in our path,
Cut them down and take their wood.
Oh, the forests in our path,
They made a wagon with what they could.

With the wagon,
they passed the lake.
With the wagon,
crossing things naturally made.

Over the freezing mountains,
hail and snow beating them to almost defeat.
Over the freezing mountains,
climbing them was defiantly a feat.

They came upon a mountain,
It showed it’s wealth.
They came upon a mountain,
And they drank to it’s health.

Pick pick pick,
They mined out the halls.
Pick pick pick,
They did it for the glory of all.

They struck valuables,
Ores of metals everywhere.
They struck valuables,
Evidence of riches were there.

No fortress is as great as the one founded by the seven,
They do not even bother to compare.
No fortress is as great as the one founded by the seven,
Because if they tried they would run away scared.

Goldenhold, Goldenhold,
Streets of silver walls of gold.
Goldenhold, Goldenhold,
The first of the seven holds.

The tune ended, and the dwarves laughed and their drinks clashed, and they told each other throughout the rest of the party, Merry founding, and may Armok be Happy.

Stonehand drew from the happiness as he collected the items.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2011, 06:56:49 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Slaves to Armok: Histories of X and Y: Goldenhold: Histories of a trololo

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2011, 09:02:57 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Slaves to Armok: Histories of X and Y: Goldenhold: Histories of a trololo

More like a way for the author to tell everyone an extensive merry christmas, and Stonehand needed a chapter anyways XD

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2011, 09:11:19 am »

More like a way for the author to tell everyone an extensive merry christmas, and Stonehand needed a chapter anyways XD

MERREH CHRISTMAS 2 U TOO :D :D :D

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2011, 09:53:01 am »

Merry Christmas and everyone have a happy hoho

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »

Okay.  I'm going to try and get one up today but my family has been busy (Like most)

Apparantly my bro thinks ZEON is spelled ZION
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:30:47 am by RabidAnubis »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »

2012 indeed :P

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2011, 12:39:34 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 19: Bypass By Bridge

Only a few of the humans remained at the gorge, fighting to the death.  Although the dwarves had lowered their numbers, it was still a massive force on the other side.  So Zeon made the smart decision to simply bypass his foes.  The dwarves were up for one hell of a surprise, even if they knew that he was leaving.

He hoped they would lower the bridge across the gorge but he knew they wouldn’t- only a seriously incompetent commander would give up their defenses in the name of ‘honor’ and ‘glory’.  However, after the business at the gate where he just opened it up he wasn’t certain that his opponent was anywhere near competent.

In fact, he was certain that the captain of the guard was somewhere between downright stupid and mentally retarded.  He had known that the position was handed down from father to son, and not based off merit like his own senate, or his generals.

It was a dumb system, but it had managed to keep Goldenhold alive and prospering for over the past ten millennia or more.  How it did, Zeon had to ponder.  Perhaps it was just sheer dumb luck?

Either way, Zeon was through with his pondering by the time they returned to the Lake of Fire.  He said, “You see those bridges?”  Zandria and Kyle both nodded together.  “You have those grappling hooks, correct?”  Zandria nodded.  Zeon sat down with them and explained his plan........

Three hours later the humans were sending a portion of their army to help at the gorge in any way possible.  They brought the ballistas, catapults, and the wagons from the merchants for cover.  The main force was going to be a distraction.

The other portion was heading across the bridges above the halls and raiding the barracks in silence, pillaging for the hell of it.  Kyle barked at them after a few minutes to get heading to the inside, and they charged quickly towards the inside of Goldenhold.

A pair of dwarves were waiting there, writing down on sheets of paper.  Kyle guessed they were lookouts, about to tell the captain about Zeon’s return to the gorge.  They were quickly stopped by fast and efficient application of war maul to face.  Their bodies were thrown over the edge of the bridge to make sure that none of the invaders tripped over them, and they continued forward once they heard the crunch of bone being crushed.

Apparently one of the smarter dwarves had decided to raise a gate along that passage, which would cause a delay.  Kyle had no clue that behind that gate was a staircase that lead to the Zykor’s spots along with the office Karakzon was in, along with the flooding chamber below.  Kyle bashed the door with all his might, his gigantic war maul swinging down, but it barely budged.

The knight yelled, “Help me!”  And after a few moments other soldiers with hammers walked up, bashing the door along with him.  None of they were as strong as Kyle, but they did help speed the process up.  Sweat poured down his face as he bashed and slammed it in.

On the other side, he heard screams of terror as dwarves scrambled to barricade it quickly.  They had to wait for Karakzon’s orders to do anything important, such as calling on a retreat from the gorge, or letting the dragon go.

This only made Kyle and his men swing harder, since he knew that meant they were doing some real damage.

Amud Ikled had just finished storming the bunkers with only thirty thousand losses.  However, he grimaced as he saw the dwarvern heavy infantry in full steel armor, ready to dish loses left and right into the Challenge's lines.  That did not stop the commander from slicing one of his own troops to get the rest to charge forward though, like a tidal wave against a sea wall, the goblin knew that eventually they would break or tire.

Amud Ikled smiled as he saw both sides troops rip each other apart, limbs flying off in every direction, organs and guts spilling out of the wounded.  He knew that he was giving Armok his fill of blood, and prayed that he was enjoying the show.  He was a slave to Armok, entertaining him with displays of gore and combat, giving him the drink of ichor as it spilled onto the silver ground, sparkling with the light of the canal.

However, after an hour of trying to take down the heavy infantry and over a thousand bodies had piled up, he was getting bored.  “Ok!  Bring in those damn trolls!  Smite their lines!”  The dwarves suddenly had an expression of shock as they saw twenty of those armed and armored elite pour down the hallway, raising clubs and hammers and smashing them down into the heavy infantry.

Another hour of fighting went by when finally the dwarves infantry died, and the gate was closed behind them.  The marksdwarves were moved into battlements surrounding the chamber Amud was in however, firing into his army as they hammered into the strong gate.

Suddenly, two trolls ran up with barrels strapped onto their backs.  He knew what it contained even if the dwarves didn’t- it held the volatile and explosive compound of greek fire.  They ran to the front of the gate, pulled out a torch, and set the barrel on fire.  Goblins and trolls tried to rush away from the explosion, but they did not make it.  The gate was broken, and the invader’s limbs flew everywhere with trails of blood following them. 

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2011, 02:15:17 pm »

LOTR Ref ftw lol. So much gore :P I like it

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2011, 04:44:34 pm »

I made a LOTR reference?   :o  Where?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2011, 05:25:27 pm »

I made a LOTR reference?   :o  Where?

Suddenly, two trolls ran up with barrels strapped onto their backs.  He knew what it contained even if the dwarves didn’t- it held the volatile and explosive compound of greek fire.  They ran to the front of the gate, pulled out a torch, and set the barrel on fire.  Goblins and trolls tried to rush away from the explosion, but they did not make it.  The gate was broken, and the invader’s limbs flew everywhere with trails of blood following them.

It's slightly modified :P in one of the LOTR movies the orcs drop an explosive bomb thinger and a urk-hai berzerker runs with a torch, diving into the tunnel where the bomb is, blowing the wall up.

only you just made the trolls wear the bombs and hold the torches all at once :P (and killing goblins, only the urk-hai that lit the bomb died in the explosion)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »

It's time fer the dwarfs to come up with a crafty plan of dwarven engineering ingenuity!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2011, 08:50:11 pm »

It's time fer the dwarfs to come up with a crafty plan of dwarven engineering ingenuity!
The stone mower :P it is basically a mining machine that has two grinders on the front for crushing loose boulders (as seen on the movie "Total Recall" and in the C&C "Tiberian Sun" which is a Nod subterrian flame tank (which is called the "Devils Tongue)) Drive that sucker down a tight hallway full of invaders :P
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30