Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110761 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Story)
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2012, 07:21:09 am »

Wow.

You guys didn't pick up on my hint.  I've mentioned that axe before.

cant be the same axe that was used in that last stand thing is it? the descriptions are different.

I just described it less because the guy was in a hurry.  Both of those details were in the previous axe.

BTW 20785 words!  Woot!  More than halfway to novel length.

I forsee alot of bloodshed coming, if im going to manage to get that axe back into the depths of the fortress.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2012, 06:01:17 pm »

Wow.

You guys didn't pick up on my hint.  I've mentioned that axe before.

Nope! My memory cache is less than 512mb, and details like that usually get dumped to make room for important information, like update frequency.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »

I think 512mb of perfectly stored memory may be quite a bit!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2012, 10:05:20 pm »

(Short chapter, but it would have been pointless to make longer.

Goldenhold
Chapter 21: Praise the Miners

Someone ran up the staircase, straight into the king’s doors, interrupting the procession and fear within.  It was only a peasant dwarf, but he seemed totally happy.  The dwarf’s green eyes darted around the room, gleaming with happiness as he ran up to the throne, crossing the mile long distance in less than three minutes.  Pillars of diamond passed by, walls of platinum sat there, engraved with the history of the fortress, but he did not look.

The king, sitting on his throne, could only ask the peasant dwarf one question.  “Why the hell are you here, and why are you so happy in a time of slaughter?”  He was annoyed, there was much more serious business to be dealt with than the jubilee of some ignorant, uneducated, and poor dwarf when a trader from Ironforge brought fine silk!

The trader seemed rather annoyed, but he also had a look of confusion on his face.  He was contemplating why the lowly folk could just waltz into the kings room to say hi.  However, the annoyed look passed on his face at the peasants next words.

“Bring out the ale!  Take out the ale!  Make the canals flow with wine!  There is much to be celebrated in this time of death!”

Almost as his ancestors said, the king gave off an angry, “WHAT?”

The peasant replied, “Even thougt the army of Zeon and the horde of the Challenges descends upon us, raise your mugs!”

The king had a perplexed expression, but the peasant was so convincing he couldn’t help but try and believe that even in this time of depression there was joy to be had.  “What is it?  Tell me the good news!”

The peasant almost jumped at the permission to blabber out his words.  “My liege!  My lord!  Good news is here!”  He stabilized his tone slightly to make sure everyone heard in the room.

“Praise the miners!  We have struck raw adamantine!  It seems to never stop going down, plowing through the magma sea.  We will have double of what we have right now!  Miners in the highest!”  The whole hall remained silent.  And then in a wave starting from the throne down the entire mile long hall emitted laughter and cheer.

Adamantine.  The metal of the gods.  The strongest.  The lightest.  The unimaginable.  It could make the weakest poor become a terrifying champion.  Light blue could gleam in various weapons, giving a beautiful end to those on the receiving end.  It could be made into fine clothing because of it’s malleability.  Armok had given Goldenhold one of his whiskers coming straight from the center of the planet.

The peasants orders were followed.  The canals were being pumped with wine.  Within a day the entire city would be full of drunks, but that was okay.  Adamantine had been struck!  The king gave the order as soon as the laughter calmed though, “Like the first founders said, STRIKE THE EARTH, and take it’s bounty!”  Although after a few minutes he was too drunk to talk. 

Not surprisingly, Stonehand already mined out a chunk and brought it back to the forge.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2012, 07:21:19 pm »

Awfully quiet.

Try to update late tonight!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2012, 07:35:08 pm »

We simply stand in awe of your excellently written story.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:31 pm »

We simply stand in awe of your excellently written story.

QFT
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »

If you don't want to see a possible large plot guess, dont click on the spoiler

Dont do it man...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2012, 08:53:02 pm »

I think what happens is pretty obvious based on the first post.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2012, 11:17:47 pm »

A thousand year siege and the deaths of millions? :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2012, 11:28:51 pm »

A thousand year siege and the deaths of millions? :P

That's how long the gods will be measuring it.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2012, 12:01:25 am »

Goldenhold
Chapter 22: Long Jump

Karakzon wanted to catch up to his foes.  There was only one way to do it, and he thought of the genius idea as he sprinted down the spiral staircase after the invaders with a speed that even a cheetah would envy.  If he wanted to escape back to the main fort though, he would have to pass up ten stories of Kyle’s forces sprinting downwards.  The distance to the bottom was the height of one of Gemclod’s towers, three hundred stories in the air.

He really wanted to see his family again.  To tell them of his success.  And he also wanted to keep this axe he had, shining light in every direction as it rested weightlessly in his hand, the edge of the blade so sharp that it was unseeable.  He smiled at it, as if enchanted by some sort of spell to enjoy the weapon.  It was hard not to like it- it made him feel like a god. 

He decided the easiest solution to the problem would be somewhere between insane and suicidal.  He jumped over the rail with a front flip.  His face contacted the air, slamming into it as he spread out his arms to slow his decent.  He yelled “SUCKERS!” at the army of the humans as he passed them.  Many of them gaped at him but he did not know about it. 

Two hundred.  One fifty.  One hundred.  Fifty.  Time slowed, and he lowered his weapon to hit the ground first to absorb the blow.  It hit the ground, the rest of his body above it as if he was raising it to the sky but inverted.  Then he flipped forward, rolled on the ground to avoid the jarring shock, and retrieved the weapon.  Raising two middle fingers to the air in the direction of the humans, he yelled, “May Armok damn you to hell!”  They stopped moving, wondering how he had survived.

He had apparently caught up with the dwarves who had started running down from about the defenses at the one fifty level, and also with the dwarves from the gorge..  He was much further into the mountain than before- and much closer to the heart.  They stopped, gaping at him.  He was angry and he let it out in a loud, booming voice for all to hear.  “Get to the lever!  Pull it now!  I’ll explain later!”

They sprinted down the hallway, the humans reaching the bottom of the staircase at about the time the dwarves reached the half way point, a forth of a kilometer.  The humans sprinted after them, doubling the speed as the knight led the army, maul in his right hand, left hand swinging from momentum.

One of the invaders shot an arrow at a dwarf, and it hit his knee.  The a few dwarves lifted him unsteadily, but Karakzon turned around, threw the man over his shoulder, and continued running at the same pace, the screaming body not slowing down his sprint towards life.

He reached the end, ran right around and to the office located the lever, he pulled it with the remainder of his strength.  He smiled.  The humans would find themselves in a hallway filling with water, have to go up a wide ramp that has a bunker with various ballistas and siege engines in it, and while being shot from all directions by crossbow slits be forced to run down splitting paths.

He moved out to the siege bunker, but hid behind a pillar.  The chamber was flooding, but the humans only sprinted more urgently because of it.  Some made it to the shore quickly, but hesitated on which direction to choose for a bit too long.  They were shot down by a line of crossbowdwarves.

However, a bunch of heads suddenly stormed up the ramp, and one of them was the knight.  “TO THE RIGHT!”  He yelled, and he stormed off.

“FIRE!  FIRE!  HIT HIM FROM THE BACK!”

The wounded dwarf cried, “I used to be a guard like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee!”  A doctor rushed up to him, and the dwarf yelled “FREE!  FREE AT LAST!”  He laughed, cried, screamed, and was a peace.

Karakzon had a fight to win, and after a minute ignored the person he carried.  He was useless in the grand plan anyways.

-------

The fighting by the port was only getting worse.  The defender’s officers tried to summon up the next round of infantry but they only ran away at the sight of trolls lumbering towards them.  Archers were shooting into the slits that the dwarves shot down into the army from.  Most missed, but every once in a while a crossbow dwarf’s life ended.

The water in the middle now parted the invaders’ army into two sides, each running along a different side of the massive canal.  Red stained the silver floor.  Bodies fell into the water every once in a while, flowing down the slide and into the ocean, only making it more red as the cuts seeped liquid out of them.

A dwarf cried, “Close the next gates!”  A bridge ran from one side of the barricades to the other, over the canal and the passageways to the sides.  Portcullis dropped down from it, cutting access to the inside off by both the canal and the side paths.

However, the steel bent every time a troll swung at it, only slightly though.  Bolts, arrows, spears, swords, among many other objects flew in every direction as they left someone’s hands.  The siege was slowing on this front also, Amud actually noticing that his forces were taking casualties.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:03:10 am by RabidAnubis »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2012, 04:16:57 am »

Quote from: RabidAnubis
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)

NOVELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »

Quote from: RabidAnubis
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)

NOVELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Congratts. Your the first to notice!

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2012, 02:35:37 pm »

congrats on the new story status
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30