Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110463 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2012, 01:42:49 am »

Yep.  Probably not tomorrow though. 
Goldenhold
Chapter 25: Savior Has Arrived

The goblins siege was relentless.  As the goblins rammed the gate it opened up slightly, only to budge back out.  They hacked at it, scratching the steel.  Even the trolls swinging at it had a problem.  But suddenly, they all cheered.  “Reinforcements!  With battering rams and catapults!  You’ll all be seeing Armok soon while he drinks you blood you dwarvern bastards!”

The dwarves faces went down with dismay.  Goblins weren’t supposed to have siege equipment.  ESPECIALLY the Challanges goblins.  They usually just charged to death, not really caring about anyone’s lives, including their own.  In a way, that was evidence that they had no greed in what they did.  They happily marched to their deaths, dying by the thousands at the hand of the enemy.

Karakzon thought that eerie.   Being more than willing to give your life up for a cause, it was as if they WANTED to die.  They WANTED their blood to be spilled.  Perhaps they WANTED to give Armok a nice drink he needed.  He wondered if they really believed that dying was perfectly fine, and that they were supposed to enjoy it.  Perhaps that is why the weaker goblins were struck down, their suffering on Earth ended so that they could move on and enjoy the heavens.

An arrow flying past his face changed his train of thought suddenly.  He felt like he had to yell something to his troops, to make them at least believe that he was calm and in control of the situation, all of the deaths on both sides a sweetly orchestrated plan that would in the end let Goldenhold triumph.

The truth was he knew that he was screwed.  His axe rested on his shoulder, waiting for it’s next taste of blood, human or goblin, possibly even that of the trolls.

He continued watching, but once more felt disconnected.  He began to question the idea that giving out fake orders was the best concept.....  Maybe it was better to let his men know that this was the end, and that the time had come for Goldenhold.  But he wasn’t sure about that.  It would take a while for them to breach the gates... he turned around at a cry of pain.  An arrow hit the axe on his shoulder, making him duck naturally.

He headed off the battlements, getting away from the holes that viewed the other chamber.  He heard something slam into the gate, a battering ram running straight into it.  He sent a prayer to the fortress guard, and began to help pile boulders at the main entrance.  If he was right, they would need every last one of them.

A messenger ran up to him, giving him a letter in all of the noise so that he could read it.

“Bad news and worse news- The bad news is that Goblin Siege Master Valican has sent about five barges of troops here, almost all of them armored in steel, carrying tower shields.  On the bright side, they did not bring any trolls.  The worse news is that he is currently.....”

He jumped at the slam of the gate,

“.... bringing various siege equipment.  Expect all of the following- ladders, heavy ladders, ballistas, catapults, battering rams, among extra elite goblins.  Good luck.”

He sighed, spinning around as he saw part of the battlements break as another stone crashed into it, rocks flying in every direction.  Karakzon pulled out his axe, and looked down the hall one last time, praying that a savior would come and save him.

Suddenly, a dwarf in very impressive armor walked down the hallway, in a moment of need, a moment of depression, a moment of death.

That dwarf was one man, and one very important man.

The Captain of the guard.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2012, 02:07:24 am »

oooooooh ya this should be awesome.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2012, 02:11:35 am »

He won't be around for long...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2012, 07:10:36 am »

Har har Worf Effect inbound!

Also, it's all for the greater good. Perspectives change when you're immortal.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »

Lol.  Stronghammer, your totally gonna end up screwing over everything.  XD
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2012, 08:27:54 pm »

muahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahh bring on the stupidity

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2012, 02:12:41 pm »

if he dosent get himself beheaded first. depends, how lucky are the goblin archers?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:59 pm »

if he dosent get himself beheaded first. depends, how lucky are the goblin archers?

How lucky are the Dwarves? Apparently, not so much :p

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »

How lucky are the Dwarves? Apparently, not so much :p

the badassery may counter that though.

Trust me man, goblin archers aren't that great. 

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 26: Courage Above Sense

The captian was in one word, furious.  His face was red with hate towards this non noble bystander, this horrible coward Karakzon.  Then again, he had to forgive the ignorant fool for his cowardice.  Who could expect more from a commoner?  He knew that even the best of them did not know the ways of life.  He knew that his life as a noble was one of perfection, working to be the best.

He cruised up to Karakzon, walking slowly and calmly as if it were a fine morning.  “How goes the siege?”  Karakzon was forced to answer honestly, praying that the Captain would see sense.

“Sir, we were overwhelmed.  We are making a short stand here until I can figure out a tactic to get rid of them.  I was thinking about pouring magma on them by...”  Suddenly, the temporary was interrupted by the permanent.

“But that would ruin the hallways!  Think about the thousands of years that we have put into the halls!  We can clean blood, move corpses, and have more kids.  But, we can’t scrape off magma without causing damage to or destroying the engravings!  No!  We should charge at them!”  The captain said this, raising his hammer out of his belt.

Karakzon’s mouth dropped.  He began to wonder if the captain was joking, along with the rest of the dwarves as they stared at him start to throw stones off the pile they had built up behind the gate.  He yelled, “YOU!  You!  And you skinny!  Help me!”  When Karakzon told them not to, they simply looked back and forth.  It was either execution and shame to the family, but the possibility that the fortress may survive, versus the opposite.

They chose the selfish path of life and began to help the captain.  Karakzon had to face palm, but he knew he would make the same decision in their place.  Nobles could be very short tempered and unforgiving, some making assassinations for a minor offense three years later, long after the victim of the noble’s blade had forgotten about it.

Half of the debris was gone.  Holes were forming in the gate where something had hit them.  The goblins were piling corpses once again into ramps to reach the holes in the battlements that the catapults had hit.  Some managed to get through, and then waves, and then a constant stream of death straight into the battlements.

Despite the screams of death, the screech of metal on metal, the pounding of stone hitting the battlements, the slam of the battering ram smashing into the gate, the ZING of a thousand arrows constantly shooting, the shatter of a chandelier braking, and another hundred thousand sounds, one sound was heard above them all.  “CHARGE THEM!  CHARGE THEM!  TAKE THEM TO DWARFHALLA IF WE MUST!”

This was quickly followed up by Karakzon yelling, but not in a tone everyone could hear, “FALL BACK TO THE NEXT BATTLEMENTS!”  This repeated over and over again, along with the screams of the afraid and the dying, and the groans of those still living being stepped on in the body ramp. 

Several thousand died in the next hour, mostly from confusion.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:18 am »

Aw, if the Guard Captain gets himself killed, then I won't be able to apply my brand of "Friendly Competition."

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 24, 2012, 07:21:44 am »

Aw, if the Guard Captain gets himself killed, then I won't be able to apply my brand of "Friendly Competition."

lol.  You may be taking your competition to a higher level man.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2012, 04:01:18 pm »

muahahahahahahaahha stupidity strikes again, time for round two

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2012, 05:33:16 pm »

Did somebody say Goblin Ambushers inside the fort?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:09 pm »

lol.  You may be taking your competition to a higher level man.
Well, if the CotG dies, he'll most likely take the entire fortress with him. If everyone is dead, there's nobody left to kill er, negotiate with!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30