Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110731 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »

got to contend with me first matey, and your definatly not getting out of this with all limbs intact ^^
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2012, 04:06:57 pm »

got to contend with me first matey, and your definatly not getting out of this with all limbs intact ^^

Did I say Salmon? I meant

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pick your fish.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2012, 04:28:36 pm »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2012, 07:09:25 pm »

Okay, I have the first half written, gotta write the second part.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2012, 10:49:13 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 28: Divine Battle

The weapons collided mid air.  The two fighters both recoiled a step, the goblin laughing and the dwarf having a slight expression of fear.  This goblin was going to be an actual battle, and he was going to have to actually fight to win.

Amud kicked him in the chest, making him fall down into the blood, covering him with a new coat as if it was paint.  Amud stabbed at him, but misjudged where Karakzon fell.  Karakzon stood once more, blocking Amud’s next swing and then counter attacking to his left thigh.

Karakzon’s axe was fast but Amud’s sword could only be faster, being perfectly aerodynamic it traveled to block just in time, deflecting Karakzon’s blow down into the body of a dead dwarf, a fellow warrior at arms.

Karakzon sent an uppercut, the only feasible move in his current position.  He was lucky- he gave Amud a nice cut along his right thigh, the commander’s blood joining the pool of the dead drop by drop.

The goblin screeched, and then laughed at the pain, as if it was really not there.  Karakzon couldn’t help but take a step back after managing to find his way up.  The cut was deep, and even though it was hard to tell because everything was red, there was a steady stream of blood coming from it, constantly pouring out the life of the goblin.

Amud landed the next blow at the dwarf’s ankle, then blocked an attack to his own thigh, and missed another blow to the right arm.  He jumped back five feet onto a small pile of dead goblins despite the leg wound, and ran his hand along the blade to clean it, blood drooling from it.  He smiled at the dwarf as the defender limped over to the body pile, cutting down the forest of bodies to get to the goblin.

The goblin backed up, then jumping over the dwarf struck him from the back, sliding the blade in between the warrior’s ribcage.  Luckily for the dwarf, no organs were hit.  Unluckily, blood drained and joined the pool.

But before the goblin could pull his sword out, the dwarf turned around, the blade sticking out of him like a spike, pulling it out of the goblin’s hand.  The goblin could only give off a look of surprise before having his right arm totally severed from his body in one swing.

The goblin went to his knees, clutching the stump of his right arm.  The defender walked up, raising his axe to lop off the commander’s head.  “In the name of Goldenhold and all that is holy, I kill you, scourge of the land.  You fight well, but I fight better.”  He started to bring the axe down to the goblin’s neck...  The goblin lowered his left hand....

The dagger in Karakzon’s heart made him fall instantly, the handle blade of the sword barely sticking above the pool of blood.  Amud brought himself to his feet, grabbed the hilt of the sword, and tore it free of the drowning body.

“I think doing things in the name of Armok works better, dwarf.  I learned that a thousand years ago.”

He dragged himself back to his army, sneering.  “WHAT ARE YOU RASCALS WAITING FOR!  THIS is WAR!”

They charged the gate, a few going back to the humans with plans....
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:19 am »

oh my, that was an interesting fight now comes the time to send my fodder... i mean soldiers to battle. HUZZAH

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »

^^ i got an arm though, and if that goblin survives his wounds past the next gate ill be suprised.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2012, 01:49:24 pm »

A worthy death.

(Didn't see that coming, huh?)
Ok, I was hoping Amud had a dagger. Har har.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2012, 04:28:01 pm »

^^ i got an arm though, and if that goblin survives his wounds past the next gate ill be suprised.

Lol.  he is flashing!

And yes, I knew that what I did was pretty obvious :)
Nothing personal, just a better story that way.  But I'm thinking about making a new type of fortress where everyone picks a character (Like the sieger, ect.) and after every chapter sends me a PM with their actions.  :) 

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »

I rather expect the goblin leader to kick ze bucket at this point.

That or get massacred by the next dwarf he faces because he doesn't have a sword arm anymore.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2012, 10:50:22 pm »

I rather expect the goblin leader to kick ze bucket at this point.

That or get massacred by the next dwarf he faces because he doesn't have a sword arm anymore.

HE STILL HAS THE DAGGER ARM!

The dagger is mightier than the.... wait... that isn't right.....

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:51 pm »

Hehe...

Anyhow I am rather surprised that the various invaders have had so much sucess.

You wouldn't think it would be possible to hammer through adamantine with whatever the goblins are using.

I guess the plot is mightier than the metal used to contain hell itself.

e: by the way im not griping about the story, just sorta randomly poking fun at it.  iv enjoyed it so far
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2012, 05:02:04 pm »

When did they go through adamantine? 

Btw, anything will snap with enough pounding, but the adamantine door is still there.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2012, 07:40:56 pm »

Oh, I just remember the adamantine gate described and I thought it was beaten down already.

Anyways not all things will break with enough pounding, not when they are strong enough to break the things pounding them.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:37 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 29: Courtroom Regicide

The king sat on his throne, the room empty for the most part.  Only a few administrators remained coming in and out every once in a while, and many of the guards had gone to join the fight that was going to stalemate anyways.  People came and went, but it was starting to get late gauging by the three mile ceiling of diamond, the light from it dimming slowly, the platinum halls shinning less.

Time went by, but Argon remained.  Quiet when others were near, but whispering things into the king’s ear when there was no others.  The king was too busy to notice this suspicious behavior.  “I think we should head into your office, sir.  The captain of the guard is a good man, he will be able to hold them at the adamantine gate....”

The king nodded, waving to a guard.  “King Helf!  If they brake through do you want me to warn you?”

The king shook his head, his raw adamantine crown glowing.  “If they break through I am dead.  Go to your quarters.”  The soldier nodded, backing away and retreating to the quarters.  “You Argon, can come with me.  I have a few spare guest bedrooms and they are furnished to the best of my ability.”

Argon bowed, being shown to his room, enters.  Once inside, he closes the door, turns off all the lights he can, and reaches into his shoe, pulling out a diamond spike.  He took three vials of liquid out of his jacket, combining two of them to create a deadly poison.  The guards would have noticed the red liquid as poison, so he combined two normally harmless green and blue ones into a deadly killer.

Sighing, he put on one of his giant spider silk robes from his luggage, dyed blue and the highest quality possible to buy, or maybe a few tiers higher.  After all, he literally owned the silk industry.  Only a few competitors remained, and keeping him from their necks was rather expensive, so he decided the best thing to do was just go for their stomachs with something that would make their insides explode.  Literally.

He put his ear to the door of his room, listening to see if anyone was in the main hall of the king.  He walked down, opening the door to the king’s bedroom.  The spike was hidden in Argon’s robe, totally unseen. 

“What do you need, merchant?”

Argon only moved closer, smiling.

“What do you need?”

He only smiled further.

“Are you sick?  Are you- GLURGH.”

A spike in the body of Helf was jabbed in, quickly pulled out, and examined, red covering it.  The king’s body squirmed, and Argon laughed as it happened, grabbing the crown and looking at it.

“I’m not a merchant, I’m a BARON.  And, this is a much better prize than the head of the idiot captain.  He was too low for me anyways.”  He patted the head of the dead body.  “Don’t worry, we’ll send you ‘reinforcements’.”

Argon walked out, returning to his quarters and stuffing the crown into his bag, going to sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30