Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110655 times)

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:06 pm »

I do say, Im not an idiot, Im...... NOBILITY. lol good read

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2012, 12:05:02 am »

Joy to the literature gods!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:39 am »

Happiness is shiny things. Especially raw adamantine.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2012, 07:15:55 am »

I'm probably going to go back and do heavy editing on this after I finish the series.  I'll include the characters who wanted to be included, and cut out some of the more awkward moments. 

Stronghammer :)  I'm not insulting you, it was Argon who was.   Take it out on Argon if you want :)

And whos a literature god?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2012, 07:51:20 am »

I do realise who it was lol I'm just being funny and responding in general. I suppose its not funny to everyone else as it is Toronto humour, and people do say that Toronto humour is not very humorous.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:11 pm »

Oh, I just remember the adamantine gate described and I thought it was beaten down already.

Anyways not all things will break with enough pounding, not when they are strong enough to break the things pounding them.

Just watch when the stone around the door is broken down, and a troll uses it to cleave everything in two :P

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2012, 04:01:53 pm »

Oh, I just remember the adamantine gate described and I thought it was beaten down already.

Anyways not all things will break with enough pounding, not when they are strong enough to break the things pounding them.

Just watch when the stone around the door is broken down, and a troll uses it to cleave everything in two :P

Shit.  Now I have to think of something else.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:15 pm »

Huh, that might actually work.  The swinging bit anyhow; adamantine is really light so a troll could probably pick up the whole thing.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »

It may have a terrible grip on it though, on top of being unable to do much more than knock dwarves on their asses or toss them around.

I don't know who the gods of literature are, but whenever a story like this crops up on these forums they simply MUST be pleased.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:29 am »

The dwarfs, after all this time, better have a caged dragon in there somewhere.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 03, 2012, 07:13:09 am »

Okay.

STOP CALLING OUT MY PLOTLINES.

THE DRAGON WAS GOING TO BE PAST THE DOOR AND YES THEY WERE GOING TO DIG AROUND IT!??!?!?!?

Am I really that predictable.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 03, 2012, 07:58:17 am »

Hahaha, just write it anyway. Few looking back through the chapters won't see our fantastic gifts of clairvoyance.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #267 on: February 03, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »

This is a good read. Although I'm a bit disappointed I dropped in so early...I don't like having to wait to read the whole thing.
By the way, I read all 29 chapters in about a hour and a half.

Keep it coming :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:19:43 pm by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 03, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »

I TOTALLY WILL BE UNABLE TO UPDATE TONIGHT!  ::)

I'm sorry, but if your character isn't already in this I'm probably going to bump you to the sequel (Possibly going to be named PLATINUMGOD)  I will probably take some of the undeveloped characters and develop them or take them out.

Is this the longest dwarf fortress story? 

And thanks addict
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:40:18 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 03, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 30: Inspiring Speech

“Sir!  I think we are screwed!”  The banging on the adamantine door was only getting worse.  Sounds echoed through the corridor where the terrified guards stood, weapons out. 

The captain of the guard was the only person who appeared to be totally unworried about the recent events.  He was almost happy.  That traitor Karakzon was dead, his leg was healed, and he had good news to tell his troops.  “You heard the screams of the traitor?  Karakfail I think was his name?  You see what happens to those who betray the fortress?  ARMOK himself will take vengeance against cowards and traitors, you know I think?”

The troops were only more terrified of him, screaming out no sirs to make him continue.  After all, if they didn’t ask they would be traitors, yes?  The captain starred at them.  “See, lesser born, it is the job of those better than you like myself to command you.  In reality, this siege is going well.  Only three fourths of the guard is dead, which totals at only a percent of our population.  We could always throw the civilians at the horde after all.  Just imagine....” 

He waved his arms in the air, around the hallway.  “Imagine the goblins charging at you.  You die, in the name of the fortress.”  His voice was enthusiastic, and only growing more so.  “Torn, mutilated, eyes gouged out and possibly even horribly tortured in the defense of your nobles.  Thousands of civilians charge at the horde, taking their tools with them as weapons, maybe even small tables or chairs as shields, tying them to their arms in the name of the nobles.  Every one of us that dies would be replaced by twenty!  Remember, Armok only kills traitors, so no one would run away for their own safety!”

The pound of the goblin’s weapons slammed into the door, the hinges moving a little.  The captain though only gestured around the hall.  “Thousands dead!  No, more than thousands, MILLIONS.  Bodies tossed around like rag dolls soaked in a fine pool of blood deep enough to drown you!  Imagine, opening up a door, a wave of blood pouring in, swimming for your life to make it to the battle, or drowning in the process in the defense of your nobles, of your king!”

“Imagine, MILLIONS dying in the name of royalty, showing off their courage and power, forsaking their families in the name of defense!  I think we should open this door, and you will charge!  WHO IS WITH ME!”  He was so enthusiastic, that even the goblins stopped pounding upon hearing it, for once feeling happiness.

The hall was silent.  Then a brave voice spoke up, “Will you be with us?”

The captain shook his head, laughing.  “Of course not!  Just because I’m the captain doesn’t mean I’m not nobility!  Anyways, I have more important matters to attend to than your petty lives.  I have bad new that you guards let an assassin slip in, and he’s in our system.  I must go investigate.  Bye!  I’ll pull my lever on the way out, okay?”

He strolled out of the room, and within a minute the door opened.  The goblins poured in.

After all, the life of nobility is one of perfection.  Those less die for you, but you, as a noble, are perfect simply out of birthright, a jewel among stones.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30