Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110673 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2012, 04:04:58 pm »

I was starting to wonder why no one else had posted and then I'm like

1: It's valantines
2: THE NEW VERSION OF DF IS OUT!

I'm not sure which one is bigger.

The second one, of course.

However, that is not to say the truth of the moment didn’t hit him.  Actually, it hit him more than before.  Before the moment when the ram was on fire and the arrows were hitting his troops, he believed he was unstoppable.  He was the raider, the rebel that risen from the ashes.  A phoenix waiting for his last moment.  After only loosing a few of his troops, he fled the scene with his platoon, his troops following him with no cheer or love.

When he returned to the main camp with most of his men left, the army cheered, thinking it a victory.  Zeon remembered how he shook his head at them, trying to explain how he had lost so many.  In reality, he had lost almost none.  The higher commander tried drilling this into his brain, saying that he could have easily taken the castle, only receiving a few more casualties. 

Zeon denied his superior.  The fifty whips of the nine tails taught him better.  He used to be a man of honor and warmth, in a way he still was as he looked at the bodies in Goldenhold’s halls.  But, he learned to be heartless when he had to be.  A savage beast doing whatever was necessary despite the losses.  “We push on!  I don’t care about the casualties.  Burn the dead.”
This part confused me for a while. It took me a few reads to figure out that the whipping was part of the flashback.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 15, 2012, 07:20:18 am »

DF.

Valentines day is an abomination.

Say people without girlfriends!

I have one so :)
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 15, 2012, 07:21:20 am »

I was starting to wonder why no one else had posted and then I'm like

1: It's valantines
2: THE NEW VERSION OF DF IS OUT!

I'm not sure which one is bigger.

The second one, of course.

However, that is not to say the truth of the moment didn’t hit him.  Actually, it hit him more than before.  Before the moment when the ram was on fire and the arrows were hitting his troops, he believed he was unstoppable.  He was the raider, the rebel that risen from the ashes.  A phoenix waiting for his last moment.  After only loosing a few of his troops, he fled the scene with his platoon, his troops following him with no cheer or love.

When he returned to the main camp with most of his men left, the army cheered, thinking it a victory.  Zeon remembered how he shook his head at them, trying to explain how he had lost so many.  In reality, he had lost almost none.  The higher commander tried drilling this into his brain, saying that he could have easily taken the castle, only receiving a few more casualties. 

Zeon denied his superior.  The fifty whips of the nine tails taught him better.  He used to be a man of honor and warmth, in a way he still was as he looked at the bodies in Goldenhold’s halls.  But, he learned to be heartless when he had to be.  A savage beast doing whatever was necessary despite the losses.  “We push on!  I don’t care about the casualties.  Burn the dead.”
This part confused me for a while. It took me a few reads to figure out that the whipping was part of the flashback.

Thanks for telling me.  I'll remember to look into when I return and edit.  Perhaps I'll put it in the above paragraph.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:59 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 34: The Fortress Main

Argon was starting to fear the one inevitable thing, the one thing that there was no way anyone could stop.  Death.  Even though the invasion was his escape route, it could be his death.  The humans back there were ruthless enough to ally with the goblins, even if the reasons they were here were different.

By this point it was known that the humans were there for the precious metals, out of greed, out of the want for power.  It made sense after all- many wars had plagued the human empire for years.  Although it was constantly expanding, it was running out of places to incorporate.  Every day soldiers and nobles had to be paid, which meant getting that wealth from somewhere else.  Otherwise, heavy taxes would have to be raised to continue the constant expansion of forts in castles.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, the goblins were there for one sole cause.  The blood of Goldenhold.  If they had it their way, they would stab the walls and make them bleed.  They were only there for the blood for the blood god.

In a way this is a horribly ironic situation.  The humans are building the fortresses to defend against the goblins, which is why they are raiding Goldenhold right now.  But they are fighting with the very goblins they hate!  I’m seriously starting to wonder why they didn’t just team up beforehand- it would have saved both of them supplies.  And obviously that is possible for them because they are working together right now.  The goblins would get their bloodshed, the humans could take all of the gold.  Heck, even with the initial army Zeon would have to make hundreds of trips.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of people yelling “CHARGE!”  The obsidian door had broke.  The only thing between them and the courtroom was two passageways splitting off in both directions, leading to the residential and industrial parts of the fortress.

After a few minutes he could see people running down the perfectly straight hallway.  They must have been running the entire time in order to be able to travel over a mile that quickly.  They still had three to go.  But the concept of achieving so much wealth and blood made adrenaline pump through their veins, giving each one of those troops a surge of strength. 

He guessed he had ten minutes before they sprinted into the courtroom.  He heard someone yell, “PULL THE LEVER!”  Ancient spears shot out of the walls, stabbing through all the invaders in their path.  However, the invaders were charging so rabidly like a liquid that eventually the flood forced the spears to break, clearing up the path once more.

“The second lever!”  They pulled it again.  A gate of steel fell into their path.  However, once again many thousand invaders built up enough pressure to go slam through it.

The ones in front had died, toppling to the ground and being ran over by the horde, the sound of bones crunching being heard by the entire fortress through echoes. 

“The last lever!”  Water flooded the hallway from the top, pressurized like a river.  Over a foot deep, the water forced a few of them to start to fall back.  However, an order was yelled for them to lower their shields, forcing the flow to slow for each person. 

They haven’t updated their defenses in years!  That would have easily stopped ten thousand.... but thirty?  Big dreams captain of the guard.  Bet you would of had to ruin some sort of precious engraving to install it.  Damn you to hell.  I hope Armok gets your blood.

After using a few of troll’s shields to block the spots that the water came through, the rest ran straight for the fortress.

Suddenly, A group of fifty elite guards blocked the hallway, the captain of the guard leading them.  Argon did not question them for one good reason.

The metal they wore was light blue.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:35 pm »

... And if any of them fall, that light blue metal will be mine.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2012, 02:41:36 pm »

Huzzah, to the last man I say. Death to all the non dwarves. and now hopefully the captain can at least regain some shred of respect. Before he dies of course

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2012, 04:51:13 pm »

:)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »

Adamantine armor, eh? Goblins with copper scimitars have been tearing my dwarfs' brains through the skull even though they have masterful adamantine helms. A war dog lasted longer than them :|

Well, that aside, can't wait to see the battle. Hope the captain of the guard doesn't die here and instead dies some other gruesome death somewhere else.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2012, 08:10:22 pm »

Going to have a special new update treat? Like trapping the goblins in a poisonous mist?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 18, 2012, 12:38:52 am »

Well that treat isn't going to be today.  Prolly tommorow morning if possible :)

I'm playing the new version of DF anyways.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 20, 2012, 01:36:05 am »

Was busy a lot.

However, tommorow nothing is planned so :)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2012, 03:04:57 am »

Was busy a lot.

Tomorrow is my birthday.
I expect an epic update ;)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2012, 12:51:37 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 35: The Juggernaughts

The whole of the invaders charged straight into the guards, Zeon was telling them to stop.  His forces laughed at him.  “Couldn’t be more than a hundred of them!  The fortress is just past them!  Join us!”

Valican continued to urge his forces, along with the leftovers of Amuds, to end the days of Goldenhold’s reign.  Zeon ignored him, weaving through the troops and grabbing Kyle. 

“WHERE IS ZANDRIA?  WE ARE GOING TO NEED HER FORCES!”  Kyle shrugged. 

“There’s less than a hundred of them.  We don’t need her right now!  Let’s go!”  Kyle started to drag Zeon. 

“KYLE!  STOP!” Zeon yelled into his ear, pleading with him.  “They are wearing Adamantine.  You’ll die if we charge them.  Let the goblins take the losses at least.”  Kyle stopped, looked at Zeon, looked at the defenders over the heads of those charging at them, and sprinted back towards the Baron’s courtroom in search of Zandria.

He heard the captain of the guard yell charge with some much confidence it made the general want to throw up.  When the forces collided, it was one sided.  Within ten seconds a thousand dead were piled in front of the defenders, acting as a wall to those behind it.  The swords had gone straight through the invaders despite their armor, allowing a swing to kill whoever was in the way.

Sweat poured from Zeon’s brow.  This was exactly what he didn’t want- for his army to believe that since they had made it this far they had won.  At least his forces knew to back up after seeing the slaughter before them.  The goblins.... well.... took a little more convincing, but in the end both forces stopped moving at all, looking at silence at their officers for orders.

Valican moved up to consult Zeon, shoving through the reluctant human forces to reach him.  “I assume you have a plannnn?”  Zeon was grabbing his chin, looking up towards the sky as if looking for divine guidance.  Moving his eyes a little, he centered them on Valican. 

Sighing, he spoke to Valican of his plan.  “We can’t back out of the hallway, or the water would gush back in and we’d be stuck in the baron’s hall for weeks.  Now what we need to do is ask Zandria about her goods and see what we can do.....”

The guard waited an hour behind the barricade, wondering when the enemy would come through.  After all, they couldn’t stay out there forever.  He heard the enemy order a retreat, to fall back to the Baron’s hall for the night.  A trumpet was heard from the invaders, and then they heard the enemy no more.

They waited for three hours.  The enemy had stopped, maybe even given up.  The captain thought for a while, “Bring the militia or just some random civilians.  Give them our steel.  We won’t give them the chance to rest for the night.... or the day.  Whatever.  Just get them.  Also, summon thirty of the fifty of those on break currently to bring the number of adamantine warriors up to fifty.  I want to end this siege, and I want to end it now.  I won’t let them into the residents quarters to loot and pillage.  Also call in the Zykor if they aren’t too busy drinking mead.”  The courier ran off, sending orders out.

It took another hour for them to gather their forces.  They moved the bodies out of the way quietly while they were coming.  They gathered in the hallway, walking down it until they reached the baron’s hall.

Looking in, they saw bed mats sprawled along the floor, along with a lookout at each corner of the room, along with wagons in a line towards the further end.  The captain had to announce his presence however by walking up to the first bedroll and stabbing it.  He heard no noises come from it.  He pulled the body out only to realize that it was a fake dummy.  “Screw you infidels!  Fall back into the...”

He was cut of by the sound of an explosion, and the water gushing down from the water trap.  It flowed towards the Baron’s hall, effectively trapping the captain and his forces. 

Forces rose from behind the wagons rose up and shot arrows at the invaders.  “Shields up!  Now!”  Arrows ringed against them, but some of the militia were taken down.  They were untrained and didn’t have any sort of adamantine like protection. 

However, all eighty Adamantine Juggernaughts stood.  They charged towards the invaders, the only direction they could go.  Some of the militia set up their shields and pulled out crossbows.  The Zykor joined them, their repeating crossbows ready as always.

Some Invaders charged back.  Some fired arrows at the defenders.

The final battle had begun. 

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 20, 2012, 09:07:11 pm »

Was busy a lot.

Tomorrow is my birthday.
I expect an epic update ;)

Tommorow or today?

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2012, 09:24:00 pm »

Muahahahahahahah to the DOOOM
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30