Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110803 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #315 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:45 pm »

Fail.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:10:31 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #316 on: February 21, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »

Tommorow or today?

Eh..Depends on your timezone. I posted that on the 19th, so "tomorrow" was the 20th.

I read your masterful update, and I liked it.
Keep them coming :)
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:56 pm »

Okay.  This is going to be a loNNNNNNGGGGGG chapter.  Won't be able to update it tonight but I have started to write it out.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 36: Melting Silver

The invaders and the defenders charged at each other valiantly.  The invaders, victory so close that they could smell it.  They could feel the wealth running down their palms, imagine living in the castles that they would build with it.  Many of the younger men imagined hiring a few cute young servant girls taking care of them for the rest of their days.  The older ones imagined bringing wealth to their towns, being seen as a hero among many.  Zeon’s five thousand were ready for war.

For the goblins, this was a call for worship.  Worship by blood.  A man could be wealthy by raiding a fortress, but that held no interest with them.  They would all rise and fall from power eventually.  What mattered to them was their place in the afterlife, and they wished to fall on the right hand of Armok in the end of the day.  They were being saints of murder, and would turn into angels of death.

For the defenders, this was their last hope.  The adamantine warriors would either fend off the siege- or they wouldn’t.  If they won, they would retire for the rest of their lives, glorified in the king’s hall.  If they lost, many things would happen.  The destruction of their families and their homes.  The deaths of everyone they knew.  This was a moment of both excitement and dread.

For the nobility, well, they would be proud of the men who died for them, pissing on their bodies and memories as a reward.

Contact.  The juggernaughts had abandoned formation, instead each going solo against hundreds.  The regular guard simply stuck behind lines, firing with crossbows as support.

At first for the defenders it was going great.  Soon it was a game of who can pile the most bodies beneath their feet.  Arrows stuck out of corpses as they stepped on them, using them as a hill to get to higher ground.  Still, goblins and humans charged, and with each of the adamantine warriors separated a few began to fall.  However, it was obvious the invaders would need something else after a few minutes.  The defenders started to take shifts between making a fort of bodies in the middle of the room and fighting off the horde.  Soon all the dwarves were on the hill, shooting off the bloody barricades down into the crowd below, corpses rolling to the bottom with an expression of surprise on their face.

The captain stood on the hill, yelling out orders left and right, standing there and observing.  If he had any sense of self preservation he would have made sure his armor looked the same as everyone else’s, but he had none.  While the other’s wore adamantine helms with a larger slit in them, he wore a helm with a thinner slit covered by rubies to make his vision red.  The plum on his helmet was of Rac feather, which they retrieved from the bestiary.

Suddenly though, the unique THWANG of siege equipment went off, hundreds of orbs flew in the air and landed on the pile.  As they landed they shattered, setting the corpses on fire.  A group of Valican’s elite was charging up the ramp to the top of the corpse fort, tripping and falling as they struggled on the rough terrain.  The militia tried to run down it, but they only were torn into small pieces with their attempts.  An arm flying there, a leg there, maybe even a few heads.  Either way, they all rolled to the bottom unless a spear was stabbed through them, holding them to the other corpses corpses.  However, they refused to progress to the top where a few of the more courageous dwarves stayed.

The flames gradually moved up the pile, lighting more corpses on fire and sending the stink that only the burning flesh of mortals could make.  The smoke scared the flies away that had been having a feast, along with many of the surviving dwarves and invaders that simply could not stand to have their lungs breathe in less oxygen than smoke.  Every once in a while a person would jump off the pile, burns running down them and limbs alight.  Those who weren’t set alight or flee suffocated on top of the pile, joining the souls of the dead.

The corpses from the fight with the dragon remained, lighting up easier because the fluids had already dried out from them with time.  Without the water though the stench from them was worse, and came out much faster because they burned much quicker.

The juggernaughts simply jumped off of the pile and down into the horde beneath them.  Each of the warriors must have taken down fifty invaders each, easily.  They cut, sliced, and did everything but bash their opponents with their adamantine weapons.  Limbs flew into the air only to be followed by several more.

The hordes fell beneath them, corpses seeming to bow down to worship them as demi-gods.  It was only worse when they managed to get into a circle, ensuring that they couldn’t be backstabbed. 

However, more globes of fire were fired at those small groups, setting them alight and filling their lungs with smoke.  Those who weren’t in groups either were struck down or died of simple exhaustion.

But one dwarf remained standing, and this dwarf was Stronghammer.  The unique visor had stopped smoke from getting into his helmet, chocking him or blinding him.  As he looked the helmet, he cut down several hundred of the enemies.

He swung his sword, cutting straight through the middle of three enemies without making very much of a sound.  The blade was so sharp that the breaking of the invaders bones made no more sound than a hot knife through butter.  Every time it seemed like he would be taken down, he stood back up, throwing those wrestling him off, and yelling off a roar of doom.

He was one pissed off noble.  He was so angry he yelled out something about a mandate for goblets, but no dwarves were there to hear his plead as he snapped the necks of his rivals.

This only sent him into a deeper rage, which made him feel compelled to make a ridiculous demand for vampire eyes.  While strange, it was said that the eyes of a vampire could poison a man if turned into a fluid.  He screamed this while gorging out the hearts of over a hundred men.

After several hundred demands and even more bodies, he made the final demand for a goblin bone coffin.  His final move was cutting through the head of a goblin, killing him.  Then he simply stood there, rolling off the small flaming hill of corpses he was on top of, and died.

Goldenhold was open for attack.  Valican and Zeon were ready for destiny, trotting over the melting silver beneath their feet. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:51:20 pm by RabidAnubis »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 23, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »

.........that........was......epic.........HUZZAH. Once again, an amazing read. I'm glade Stronghammer was able to redeem himself. Cant wait for what is surely to be the end. Cheers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2012, 04:30:01 am »

Awesome as always.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 24, 2012, 07:18:02 am »

Thanks guys.   :)

I'll try to not get the next one up today.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #322 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »

I'll try to not get the next one up today.

???

As Stronghammer said, Stronghammer was awesome.
I forgot/am confused, is this Stronghammer the fisherdwarf that was in the stomach of that serpent underground during the gremlin invasion?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »

lol no it is the noble

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #324 on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »

Ah, ok. I confused their names then.

At the very least, the fisherdwarfs' quarters are defended by legendary baddy-seeking axes. At most, the axes will be too thirsty for blood and accidentally the elven race.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 24, 2012, 11:49:53 pm »

Okay.

Stonehand was the fisherdwarf.

Stronghammer was the noble who died making demands.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2012, 12:47:03 am »

Goldenhold
Chapter 37: Residential Pillage

The door to the king’s courtroom slammed shut as the invaders charged down the hall.  However, the splitting paths allowed the forces to simply go around the main room, which they could go into later.

Right now, they had homes to burn and civilians to kill.  Valican kept yelling something about how he wanted to kill every resident.  Zeon asked on how he planned on getting out after that.

“What do you mean, human?  I walk out!”  He half yelled for his troops to hear also.

But Zeon responded, very quiet and composed compared to the goblin commander’s screech.  “I was just worrying that you would drown in the three foot deep river of blood that my troops will spill!”  He laughed, and so did the human troops near him.

Valican shrugged it off.  “If it is a competition you want, it’s a competition you’ll get.  You want me to take to the left or the right?”  He said this, acting a goblin gentleman for the moment by giving his competitor a slight choice. 

“You take the right.  Person with the deepest death pool wins.  Three.... Two.... One... GO!”  Zeon and his forces sped off to the left side, while Valican went as fast as possible to the right.

The siege equipment however remained pounding on the door.  They would have to come check on it in three hours when the competition was up.

The civilian dwarves turned, and gave surprised looks of shock on their faces as they saw a group of angry humans charge straight down the hall and into the main staircase that lead to the many residential levels.  Every last one of them had sacks thrown over their shoulders in the situation they would get to plunder- which they would of course.  Even the poorest man in Goldenhold had as much- if not more- wealth than a nobleman in one of the human nations.

As they ran down the staircase they spotted a woman and her child running up the staircase.  She swung her own baby at them, which disgusted the humans so much they simply stabbed her and continued going down.  The poor child was lost in the chaotic charge.

Zeon yelled at them loudly as he ran, “Throw the bodies down the middle of the staircase so they can make a collection pool at the bottom!  Cut them up so they will drain!”

The army yelled “Yes general!”  back at him.  Zeon divided his forces into thirds, one for him, one for Zandria, and one for Kyle.  Two of them would clear two different floors at a time, while the third would guard the staircase......

He spotted a terrified lady holding a child of maybe twelve in her arms, cradling him and saying that it will be okay.  Zeon said, “You don’t have to lie to him.  He’s smarter than that.”  He lifted his arm, butchering the wife and the child she held in one swing.....

As they pillaged the city, they killed every last man and child.  He looked up, seeing the sky above him.  Rain poured as they searched for remaining survivors, but they found none.  They burned the dead, the intense flame flickering but never going out despite the downpour.

Zeon stood there, his back aching still from the lashings he received a while ago.  Of course the bleeding had stopped quickly, but the whip had done it’s only job well- causing misery for those who deserved to be punished.

The few remaining prisoners were executed upon him raising a fist to sky, yelling out one word.  “VICTORY for the rightful kingdom!”  The swords were jammed through the prisoner’s throats, the expression of a different mother begging them not to slay her only child still on her face.  How he could take her and do what he wanted with her, but not to take the boy.

After letting one of his men have his way with her, he had both her and her only child executed despite her arguments that they were not loyal to their recently executed lords.  They needed all the available land they could get, and anyone who survived was taking up their own little heavenly slice of it. 

“Commander, what are we really fighting for right now?”

“Wealth and Land.  Wealth and Land.  There are no causes canter to the human heart besides those.”

"What do you say of loyalty?"

"The guards loyalty to the nobility here brought this fortress down."

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:18 am »

Another well written update. Enjoying the foolishness of the dwarfs in not making any good traps.

Just to make sure, that italicized part was flashback, and

“Wealth and Land.  Wealth and Land.  There are no causes canter to the human heart besides those.”

was part of what was happening in the present, right?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2012, 09:22:39 am »

Another well written update. Enjoying the foolishness of the dwarfs in not making any good traps.

Just to make sure, that italicized part was flashback, and

was part of what was happening in the present, right?

Yes.  I'm going to italicize flashbacks for now on to add clarity, even though the same is used for thoughts.

But then again, flashbacks are thoughts, so they will both use it. 

efud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2012, 10:55:16 pm »

Im just wondering, and it might be a stupid question, but what happened to the zykor? Arent they station is small vents in the walls and therefore werent slaughtered in the main fight? id love to see some sort of epic last stand by the zykor to defend their king  :o
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30