Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110462 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:40 am »

Im just wondering, and it might be a stupid question, but what happened to the zykor? Arent they station is small vents in the walls and therefore werent slaughtered in the main fight? id love to see some sort of epic last stand by the zykor to defend their king  :o
The king that I introduced to my personal version of "friendly competition?"

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:45 am »

Im just wondering, and it might be a stupid question, but what happened to the zykor? Arent they station is small vents in the walls and therefore werent slaughtered in the main fight? id love to see some sort of epic last stand by the zykor to defend their king  :o

Honestly, they couldn't do much against an armored troll.  Remember, they have badass crossbows, not god bows. 

I believe I mentioned that they went out in the last battle in the barons hall?  They couldn't escape due to the water flowing into the baron's hall.  And Argon is right, the king was introduced to "friendly competition".  So really they would be defending the king's hall.

I feel so sorry for helf.  "Can I have a character?"
Me, "Sure.  Give me a moment."

*Character dies in first appearance by Argon*

"There is your character."

AND IM SO HAPPY THAT NO ONE HAS CALLED OUT THE OBVIOUS!  THANK YOU!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2012, 07:38:23 am »

The king that I introduced to my personal version of "friendly competition?"

lol friendly competition

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2012, 10:43:14 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 38: The Slade Throne

Three hours of pillage, rape, and murder went by.  In the end, the goblins had a higher blood pool at the bottom of their pit.  It was only by about a foot, and in total it covered up the bottom two stories of that area.  They would get to go in first.

All in all, most of the fortress was fine.  They had only hit the upper levels, and it would easily take them a decade to clear out the whole place.  Maybe several.  But either way, the door was being pounded against.  It fell before them with the last swing of the battering ram.  The army assembled, and proceeded to all flood the hall.

The baron must have been poor.  If the baron had godlike architecture, the king was the king of the gods, having halls of such wealth that it was impossible to comprehend.  Some yelled “Look up!”  All the invaders did, looking at the three mile high diamond ceiling in awe.  Most of them had forgotten about time, being so deep underground.  It was raining outside, in a horrible storm.

Valican cursed only for a moment how it could be a maelstrom, a powerful storm that could knock over a ship.  He wondered how he could fit all the invaders into only a few of them.  Zeon proceeded to remind him that most of his numbers were mutilated and dead, which gave Valican the bright thought of taking all the dwarvern armor and weapons he could get his hands on and stuffing his boats with them.  Well, Amud’s boats, but he wouldn’t be needing them anymore.Maybe he would let Zeon borrow one.  After all, he had been a valuable ally.  He initiated the siege after all.

The ceiling was so high that lightning struck the glass, lighting it up for a moment in a wondrous array of lights.  After a couple of minutes of just looking at the roof, their eyes shifted down the to the massive adamantine columns, able to support the ceiling even though they were just shells surrounding rather boring rock.  The walls of platinum reflected the light off of the emerald floor, which had pools of magma beneath it.  The rim around the edge of the floor was made of gold, silver-handled hammers attached to the rim every twenty feet, with heads of obsidian.  Between every two hammers there was a statue, depicting one of the many dead ruler of Goldenhold.

Zeon looked at them, but the first one caught his attention.  Unlike the others, he only had gold sparsely placed on him.  No adamantine, no platinum.  In his left hand he held a raised one sided pick to the sky.  It menaced with large spikes of silver, jutting out in every direction.  However, the body of the pick itself was pure gold.  It was the only golden thing though, everything else besides the pick was normal, casual.  His eyes moved down to the handle.  It was made of steel, a metal of the working class.  For some reason, in a fortress of luxury, that metal made this statue seem the most special.  He couldn’t help but appreciate that at one point in history that even the dwarves of Goldenhold had to work to live, understanding the concepts of work and poverty.

This made him feel a sudden respect for him.  Whoever this working leader was, he secretly believed he was a power, surviving the fragments of time.  Zeon couldn’t help but whisper a silent prayer to him, looking up into his heavily bearded face, noting that the obsidian beard was so long that it was ducked into his belt, which had a granite buckle.  Sometime back then, Goldenhold wasn’t the center of the world, able to adorn random statues with as much wealth as a king.

Sometime back then, there wasn’t economic giants.  There was competition.  There was fair game.  There wasn’t as much evil, one massive superpower able to toy around with nations, with heroes, WITH GODS.

As a kid he had heard wild tales of gods being bribed by Goldenhold’s various kings to grant various things like eternal life, or the knowlege of the universe.  Crazier than that though was there was some documentation that it may have happen, vast amounts of gold and silver just disappearing to an abyss.  Of course, it wasn’t that much to the fortress at that point, but to anyone else it could have been enough to found an empire.  His prayer was this- I swear, if you help me, I will ensure that every one of your kin will get life or die trying.  Please, help me do your will.  He didn’t expect it to be answered, he didn’t even know if he was a god, or if he was that he was the god of hard work.  Lightning struck the diamond ceiling, illuminating the room once more.

He read the name plate.  It was impossible dwarvish, unreadable.  He knew some of the language, having to had communicate with many of Goldenhold’s emissaries.  Everyone had to.  He was about to look away when he heard a voice, strong and commanding.

“Goldpick.  First founder of Goldenhold.  Imagine ten thousand years ago seven dwarves creating this... metropolis.  I like the fact that you respect him.  I wish you would respect the innocent heirs though.  Zeon, we may become friends in the future.”

Zeon’s eyes darted over to the person who spoke.  Everyone in the throne room had been too busy looking around to notice the throne or the person who sat on it.  But once he looked at the throne, he couldn’t take his eyes off of it.  He had never seen anything like it.  The adamantine trim seemed... almost... innocent compared to the body.  It was evil, yet marvelous.  The person sitting on it was not nearly old enough to be the king, wearing a simple brown cloak.

“Who are you to be sitting on that throne sir dwarf?”
   “I’m a dwarf.  Earlier you said all that matter was wealth and land.  I’m sitting on one of those.”

First, it creeped out Zeon to think that he referred to the throne’s name as WEALTH, but maybe that was the name of it...

“How did you know I said that.... nevermind.  Who are you, as in your name?”  Zeon had to yell due to the distance, but the dwarf seemed to be able to communicate at that distance with a normal tone.  He knew dwarf lungs were strong but.....

“Fine.  I’m Stonehand.”

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:26:56 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

efud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 28, 2012, 12:22:59 am »

OOOOOH I cant wait for the next part, the wise words of stonehand!
I truly cannot express my level of gratitude to you for writing this story. As a DF fanboy I love reading fan art and this is
by far the best!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 28, 2012, 07:32:14 am »

I truly cannot express my level of gratitude to you for writing this story. As a DF fanboy I love reading fan art and this is
by far the best!

Thanks, but this makes me want to bring up a certain quote.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold
« Reply #336 on: February 28, 2012, 07:32:49 am »

Sounds promising so far! Is this based on an actual fortress, or is it just inspired by DF in general?

Also: HAIL ZEON
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If only one of my fortresses got this far!  Jeez!  :)

34000 words in this tale :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:27:38 pm by RabidAnubis »

efud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:12 pm »

by far the best!

Thanks, but this makes me want to bring up a certain quote.
Haha oh, and what would that be?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »

Put it up XD

BTW, had to go to bed but I started to write the next one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #339 on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »

My mind has been overloaded with awesome.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2012, 07:34:20 am »

Sorry, can't get more up right now.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2012, 10:33:42 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 39: Trial By Demigod

Zeon decided to ask another question before Stonehand had time to mention something about his life, one of his deepest secrets.  Something made him think that Stonehand was the avatar of some greater power, or the disciple of one.

Unfortunately, he was right.

“Brave dwarf, what was your profession before this?  Most dwarves would have backed down, and many are already cowering in their homes out of fear for their lives.  Better question, what makes you stay?”

He responded, taking two seconds to think up a response, and in a impossibly deep tone he spoke out, “I was a fisherdwarf.  But that does not matter at all.  I am the final defender of this fortress.  I have an intent to fight you all away.”  He said this with such power, but with such calm also that both armies that stood in front of him felt an impulse to run from a man so confident to laugh at death in the face.  “Brave human, what would you say your profession is, and why are you in a position to question me?”

Didn’t he already know my name?  He should know!  I’ll make him answer.  “Why don’t you tell me, sir Stonehand?  I’m certain your wisdom surpasses mine.  So deep down, why am I here?”  He was using that tone of sarcasm where it was half lie, but for the other half it was true.  When you want to pretend that you want something so your really get it.  But if he knew what Stonehand was about to say to him, he would have answered quickly, A General King, Dwarf.  Now step aside or face my wrath.

The response though was filled with such anger and truth though that the general of the invaders went white faced at it’s response, turning into snow for a few moments in the stream of time.  “You are a king, sir Zeon.  You only fight for greed!, you even said so yourself!”

Zeon, terrified by this claim, shouted back, “I fight for the land and wealth of my people!”

“Lies!  You want it for yourself!  You say that, backing up your past in such a way to make you avoid feeling guilt!  But in the end you became what you fought!  Such trickery is worse than that of the elves!”  Zeon went speechless.  His troops looked at him, loyalties wavering. 

People on the invaders side raised the question, “Is this true?  This dwarf wouldn’t lie, right?”

The dwarf’s voice suddenly shifted to that of sympathy, sorrow for the poor tormented soul of this mortal standing if front of him for his judgement, a court before him.  “Remember back when you were just a kid, a poor fourteen year old running away from the horde that killed your farming family?  Those were goblins, yes?  Butchered your parents and took your sister, your one prize jewel from you?  How you vowed to take them off of your homeland and joined the army?”  He said this sweetly, “Wouldn’t you rather have things they were then, when your life was simple and all you had to do was farm?  Did you enjoy the fact that you joined the army as a runaway farm boy?  Was that worth it?  I think we all know family is more than wealth.”

Zeon yelled angrily, his eyes watering at the painful memories he had tried to forget so long ago, “Shut up!  How the hell do you know this?”   

Ignoring the question, the dwarf continued his mesmerization of the humans and the goblins.  The next part wasn’t quite as nice, losing the innocent tone.  “You didn’t think it was worth it when you had become and officer either.  You passion quickly drove you to rank, not for the prestige, the land, or even the wealth that would come with it, but passion for revenge!  Because of this, you protected your troops!  You were punished for it!  By this point, you had driven the goblins off the land with the army, and your new goal was to rid the empire of it’s injustices!  Vengeance led you to topple it!  The people cried praises when you rose to the throne not out of praises of wealth, but out of praises of incorruption, equality, fairness, a caring king!  And your passion drove you there, to victory, to be loved!  But do you really have passion as you stand here now?  Do you think your people would really trade the lives of their sons and their husbands for a lot of gold?  Did you think it was worth it when you made that exchange in the walls of Goldenhold?”

Zeon had tears rolling down his cheek, as no one had brought this argument against him in a while.  But the next part drove him to anger.

“If you were a good king, for your people like you used to be, you would have stayed at home and ended the goblin invasion that is pouring onto the northern edge of your kingdom right now, butchering your villagers, those who depend on you!”  Stonehand stood from the throne, lifting up a large sack with his right hand.

Zeon screamed at him, reaching his breaking point completely.  “I am the human king and I didn’t come here for a philosophical debate!  Kill him!”  His army hesitated, but one by one they drew their swords, each encouraged by the previous one.  After all, they had killed Karakzon, who was insane.  The captain fell eventually also, and so would this lone dwarf.  They began to charge across emerald floor, thousands of feet at once.

The lone dwarf threw off the brown cloak, threw off the sack, and showed what he wore beneath it.  He donned a wondrous light blue cape, with gold trim on it.  Etched with ocean blue thread were pictures of a fisherdwarf, a dowhakus, and showings of it being slain.  It had other etchings in it, but the humans and goblin combined army was too busy looking at his other items to pay much attention to the cape.

The armor beneath the cape was colored gold, which was impossible to make armor from.  In the centerpiece of the breastplate was a sapphire shaped like a trout, with a ruby eye glaring out into the army.  He wore no helmet, his beard instead stuffed into the platinum belt he wore, although it was singed at the edges of his hair. 

His weapon was the most impressive however, a two handed war hammer.  However, the head of the hammer was ridiculous, having a two square foot head that was three feet long, made of an evil black stone, the same as the throne he just rose from.  It menaced with three spikes of adamantine from the top, evenly spaced and jutting halfway forwards, directly up, and halfway backwards.  The edges of the hammer were trimmed with gold once again, and the handle of the hammer made of bronze and silver spiraling downwards.

He yelled with many voices in one, “For the Fortress, For Goldenhold!”  In three steps he traveled 500 yards and swung his hammer for the first bloodshed into a combination of goblins and humans, sending twenty flying.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:35 am »

Don't stand before Stonehand :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:31 pm »

Stonehand : Better than hannibal

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:49 am »

Perhaps, but I just reached a serious writers block.  Crap.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30