Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110583 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »

Make a cup of tea, eat some popcorn and slaughter a yak, should all work out in the end :P

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »

Make a cup of bear, eat some kitten and slaughter a yak, should all work out in the end :P

Fixed
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2012, 07:00:41 pm »

Eh,just let him kill all the invaders,i have no sympathy for them,at all.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »

It kinda seems like thats what hes setting up.

Also why haven't the goblins turned on the humans yet?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »

Eh,just let him kill all the invaders,i have no sympathy for them,at all.

I, Like to, over use, commas.

@Quake IV  Isn't it agreed on that the goblins hate the dwarves more than the humans?

@Playergamer I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not

You guys actually called out what was going to happen next VERY early on.  You should all already know.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:13 am »

I don't know why, but for some reason unrevealed to me my girlfriend is probably going to kill me.

I'm going to start writing though.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2012, 12:50:20 am »

I don't know why, but for some reason unrevealed to me my girlfriend is probably going to kill me.

lol. Silly RabidAnubis, that is the way its supposed to be. Its what makes the world go round, besides dwarf fortress that is, oh and MAGMA.

great read by the way.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2012, 12:59:02 am »

lol. Silly RabidAnubis, that is the way its supposed to be. Its what makes the world go round, besides dwarf fortress that is, oh and MAGMA.

great read by the way.

That's a lot of encouragement.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2012, 11:56:17 am »

I can seriously see her taking you hostage and then one of us going commando, killing her, and getting you back to your computer to finish the story.

Its just so fitting for this forum.

e: Also maybe you have preying mantis genes and thats what your feeling.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2012, 10:57:23 pm »

Nah, we cool now.

I only got to write a bit though, but I don't see a reason why I can't post tomorrow.

It's hard to write Argon well.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 40: Age of Myth

Argon slowly crept up the side of the hall, watching as the enemy was torn to bits.  It was hard for him to take his eyes off the sight- a single dwarf swinging a hammer that was impossibly heavy.

He watched as Stonehand violently swung his slade hammer into the crowd, slaying twenty in a single stroke.  They flew into the air, slamming into the wall five hundred feet away at such velocity that they broke, limbs flying everywhere.  One remained imprinted into the wall, making a dent in all the wondrous engravings that Goldenhold recorded.  He fell down to the floor with a clang.  The velocity of that swing must be terrible.  The material that hammer is made from must weigh impossibly heavy in order to deal that much damage.  Then again, if it was that heavy the dwarf wouldn’t be able to swing it, even if he had been a miner his whole life.

Something is wrong here.  This isn’t possible.

I am dreaming.

Hallucinating.

Perhaps this dwarf isn’t just a dwarf, but some higher being?

He continued to watch as the humans ran helplessly to attack the dwarf to only be defeated by the dwarf.  Or whatever he is.  He gave a goblin a horrendous uppercut, sending him into the ceiling three miles high at over the speed of fifty horses.  I’m going to have to go calculate that out.  Perhaps the swing was faster.  The diamond shattered, and the goblin continued to fly.

Whole wondrous chunks fell at the emerald floor, cracking it.  Some chunks landed on the invaders, but none got anywhere close to Stonehand. I swear that one should have landed right on him!  How the hell did it land over there?  The humans sent a volley of a hundred arrows at him, but he simply stood there, taking it like a man.   The arrows bounded off his rope, the rebound of a bolt killing a nearby goblin with a headshot. 

The goblins body landed on the ground after going up so high, the dwarf punting it into the approaching hoard to cut down a line.  Everyone in the path of the body felt like they were being hit by a hurricane or a dragon, or rather they didn’t because every bone in their body melted from the impact, shattering instantly.

After a few hundred deaths, they began to retreat, pulling back slowly.  No one wanted to be a coward, but neither did anyone want to be killed by this dwarf...

I live in the Age of Myth, if there is a time and an age with as random events as this one I’ll kill myself.  And I’m pretty sure everyone in that age would already be dead anyways.  An arrow flew in front of his face, interrupting his thoughts.  Then again, I wouldn’t be able to kill myself if one of these people kill me.

Shit.

Argon decided that since the humans started to run at full sprint he could go in with them, they were too afraid to pay attention to their surroundings.  He had no idea that most of the fortress had been torn apart horribly and there was very little way for him to escape.  But he knew where his merchant ship was and heading over to the indoor docks seemed to be the only way to arrive at it.

As he sprinted with the human, he turned back and looked at the slade of the throne and the hammer.  That’s a pure, malicious black stone.  I can’t help but think that the fields around the hammer and the throne are being warped.  What is that stuff?  It only makes the wielder seem godlike!  It is a blackness that... glows, engrossing nearby features in shadowy curls.  I am perplexed by that, for it can’t be possible for someone to have that much strength!

They continued to run from the champion though, swinging his hammer like a scythe gathering wheat for harvest.  Except those running from it guessed he was farming out their souls to be devoured on the dinner table of the gods.

However, it was like a dream.  No matter how fast the humans tried to run, it seemed like they were moving slowly compared to Stonehand’s casual pace, the champion on a nice sunday afternoon stroll.  Argon was at the back, picking up his pace as the lines of men were slaughtered behind him.

He had maybe a minute before the champion reached him.  The silk merchant could not sprint faster, and the closer Stonehand got the slower the Baron ran.

The man to his left slammed into the right wall, shattering it.  Stonehand raised his hammer to slam down Argon, but then something terrible happened.

They heard screams, horrifying, not human, elf, goblin, dwarf, dragon, or any mortal voice.  The air felt a sudden chill run through it that had a personal burn, and everyone’s mind screamed with primal fear that their ape ancestors had.  Chaos filled their heads as they heard it, everyone forgetting that they were part of an organized army, and throwing their weapons to the ground.

The only person who maintained a weapon was Stonehand, and even he lowered it.  However, with his other hand he made a strange motion, and several slams were heard.

“I’ll be back for you later.  Have fun with the few last moments of your soul.  You may learn to miss it.  Goldenhold dug too deep, too greedily.”
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:47:50 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2012, 10:49:46 pm »

Sorry, that was pretty bad =(

I had a writers block, which is horrid.  This chapter will require heavy editing, or perhaps a total rewrite.  I decided that I'll just countinue with the story, and come back later when I feel like I have something.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #357 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:37 am »

Pretty bad? It seemed good to me. Perhaps the overall awesomeness of this thread leaks into the bad making it good?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2012, 07:28:08 am »

Pretty bad? It seemed good to me. Perhaps the overall awesomeness of this thread leaks into the bad making it good?

I wrote that part over so many days that I lost track of where I was.  Moral of the story: Write the chapters all at one time.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2012, 08:14:35 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 41: Behind a Dwarf

They continued to pull out adamantine in globs, handing it up in chains to the top.  It was some of the most tiring work out there, but then again it paid well, and it was a joy to be mining the metal of the gods.  The people in the pillar were surrounded by light blue, which gave off a wonderful glow.

Efud glared at the light blue below him with his blue eyes, his muscly arms swinging the steel pick victoriously into the ground.  It went straight through.  Puzzled, he swung more around it, the steel creating a small hole, a chunk of adamantine falling out.  Darkness was below it, but some parts seemed to glow, Efud moving to the edge to make sure he didn’t fall in.  Several people in the shaft stared down the hole, seeing glowing pits.  A curious dwarf pulled a torch off it’s slot in the shaft and tossed in down, illuminating the darkness.

They saw creatures of the depths stare up at the torch, then up at the hole where it was dropped from.  Simultaneously, they let out a horrible, terrifying screech.  Every dwarf stood, paralyzed as demons opened their wings and started to fly up.  Efud was one of the first to react, pushing dwarves who were slower out of the way, accidently shoving one down off the ramp that spiraled down the adamantine column.

Looking down, he saw the dwarf he shoved be surrounded by flames, and torn apart by a red demon with bat wings, three eyes, and even a beard of tentacles to grab it’s victims.  It pulled on the edge of the hole, it’s strong exoskeleton squeezing through out of desperation.

The paralyzation had stopped, everyone was on a run for it, besides a few who wanted their burial to be surrounded by the god metal.  Those few saved the lives of those who cared about self preservation.

Efud soon was caught behind a slower dwarf though, and he was so close to the mouth of the column, almost out.... but the demon was reaching out with a tentacle, about to grab him around ankle, dragging him to be eaten.

In that split moment of terror, he decided the dwarf in front of him was worth less than himself, the miner grabbing him and tossing him behind.  The tentacle wrapped around the dwarves ankle, and Efud turned around to look at him.

The face of the dwarf had many laugh lines from his many years, and was possibly old enough to be a grandparent.  The vest he wore was trimmed with gold, meaning that he was going to go to some sort of celebration that day.  Perhaps one of his children’s birthdays or his own?  His shoes flew up into the air, along with a pair of socks.  His eyes had some sort of primal terror in them, but complete understanding also.

One dwarf jumped after the socks, taking note that they were made of a light blue cloth.  He was the next to be killed, and someone ahead yelled, panting, “They were dyed you idiot!”

As soon as they made it up to the tunnel, all the miners split to various different hydraulic elevators.  Efud went for the staircase however, deciding the demons would distracted more by gobs of people than himself.

He was right, the first of the three elevators dwarves burned to cinders in one breath, another demon heading to the second.

He started up the staircase and didn’t stop running.  He swore he heard the sound of wings going up the center of the spiral staircase but he didn’t look back.

He just kept on running, sprinting up past the entrance to the bottom cavern level and pulling the lever by the gate, letting the gremlins in that were still trapped in the carvern.  For a moment they held still, the light from the fortress blinding them.  Then they began to sprint in and deliver justice.

A guard on the barricades turned around and yelled, “WHAT THE HELL YOU THINKING YOU CIVILIA-” but he was dead from an arrow to the neck.

Efud grabbed an elevator on that level, sending him upwards towards the fortress main.  The gremlin would be wonderful bait for the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30