Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110712 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #375 on: March 10, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »

Fits well enough, don't it?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #376 on: March 10, 2012, 09:16:26 pm »

You... You rationalized DF...

whuu...

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 11, 2012, 02:33:19 am »

whuu...

Explain?

EDIT:  Wait, you mean the socks?

Doing all my forum work right now. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:13:04 am by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 11, 2012, 03:45:16 am »

Goldenhold
Chapter 43: That Awkward Moment

Argon sat, panting.  The chaos below was obvious, bodies going here and there as Stonehand delivered justice to them.  However, every minute he swore he heard more shrieks of I’m Free From This Hell!  Than I’m dying!  NOOO!  from those.... those... demons?  He wasn’t sure what they were, all he knew was that one had managed to catch up with them as they sprinted as fast as possible out of the great hall.

He actually managed to keep up- many of the humans had looted bags tied to their shoulders as they ran, slowing them down.  However, he continued to run, his lungs burned with a thousand fires.  “Human?  How is the Grand Slide?”  The human looked at the dwarf, “Why are you... asking.... oh..... nevermind... torn... apart...”  The dwarf nodded, sprinting faster for a moment, tripping the human as bait.  The bait didn’t last long.

Crap.  Oh Crap.  That means my ship can’t get out, because the hydraulic pump is only meant to send the ship up, not down.....  But I could always break it.  The demon was close behind though, and as they trotted through the bodies and the corpses they were forced to slow down.  That must have been one hell of a fight...... was that Karakzon?  That body had a wicked axe with it...... However, he would have no time to go to his ship.....  They managed to get out of the connecting area, the goblins running towards the slide, the humans going back to the land entrance.  He chose to go with the humans.  They seemed less.... bloodthirsty.  They had gotten their wealth, many troops throwing sacks of wealth onto wagons, combining with some previously found.

A few brandished their swords, screaming to Iskoth, god of victory, for glory or death.  Kyle turned around with them, calling for more to join him against the demon.  This one was a rather large one, a ghast of fire, in the form of a dog.  Although it had shape, it was burning away, slowly going away but always regenerating where you didn’t notice it, forever burning only to re grow to burn again.  It’s teeth were near five times as large, the front row sticking out over the jaw.

They charged towards it, Kyle in the lead, “To Iskoth!  To Death!  For the Empire of man!  For Zeon!”  The others with him yelled, “To Iskoth, For Zeon!”, but not with as much zeal.  Surrounded by fire, Kyle only managed to get off a few swings with his maul before he couldn’t see, his eyes dried out completely by the heat, his skin burning off, peeling off in strips.  He fell on the ground after a few moments, joining the realm of Armok.

The others were soon eliminated also, acting only as a mere distraction.  The last one stabbed it in the eye with a spear before being lifted up by the teeth, thrashed and torn to oblivion.  They had bought Zeon time though.

They sprinted, all heading through the flooding area which was emptied from earlier, and they ran, ran, ran, ran, reaching the gorge.  The bridge was put down, and they crossed it.  They continued to sprint, reaching the gate in due time. 

It was closed.  Zeon turned around, seeing light coming around the corner to attack him.  The dog soon showed up, and he looked at the gate.  The steel couldn’t be broken through, lever not working, fist pounding on the metal.

“WEREN’T YOU OPEN!?  DID STONEHAND CLOSE YOU?  STONEHAND, IS THIS YOUR VENGEANCE ON ME?  I WILL DO ANYTHING TO LIVE GOLDPICK, ANYTHING!  I BEG OF YOU!”

The fortress shook for a moment, and Zeon approached the demon.  “Set up a defensive barricade at the gorge.  Dwarf, work on getting it open.  I have work to do.”

The dog opened it’s mouth for a bite, but Zeon cut off a tooth, then stabbed it in the jugular.  He broke every bone in it’s body, living through it.  He jumped away, avoiding it’s explosion.  Laughing, he smiled viciously for a moment.  “More will be here soon.  Show them no mercy.  Ha!  We shall smite down the armies of hell, one by one, we will take our stand at the gorge!”

Zeon’s forces responded with great loyalty after the display, but Zandria’s wavered.  Some bashed on the gate, wanting out.  It took until Zandria threatened them angrily, stomping her foot for emphasis.  She informed them that their bashing would do nothing, and they needed to take positions. 

Most of the demons were busy.... in the main part of the fortress.  A considerable amount of the siege equipment was left over, and they pointed it at the secondary gate, locked and loaded, making a final stand.

I can’t believe I’m with these fools.  What makes them think they can reload their siege weapons fast enough?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #379 on: March 11, 2012, 07:20:40 am »

Wow, everyone's dying.

whuu...

Explain?

I mean everything. Every chapter has culminated into this clusterfuck of awesomeness :P

...And you did it taking typical Dwarf behaviour into account - And making it seem sane. BOOTIFUL.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:35 am »

Wow, everyone's dying.

whuu...

Explain?

I mean everything. Every chapter has culminated into this clusterfuck of awesomeness :P

...And you did it taking typical Dwarf behaviour into account - And making it seem sane. BOOTIFUL.

I have yet to make fun of wall building tactics.  XD

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 12, 2012, 07:41:32 pm »

Update this shit.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 13, 2012, 01:05:43 am »

Goldenhold
Chapter 44: Walling Yourself In

Efud finally managed to get himself out of the fortress main, after struggling with many crowds.  Some ran after their fallen loved ones, or their gear.  After all, it was survival.

All he wanted was to get the hell out.  He figured there wouldn’t be any guards, so he slipped into the King’s Courtroom.  By not making any noise at all, the demons followed the more loud human crowd.  It was eerie, quiet.  He had to avoid the rain falling from above through the holes that Stonehand had made with his projectiles, along with those in the ground leading to lava.

But soon enough, he reached the unmanned doors of the king.  Here, he decided to close the doors and lock them, hoping he wasn’t being followed.

He needed a weapon, or some form of protection.  He knew how to use a pick, and mining through the head of a slade demon wouldn’t be that different from mining through adamantine.  He searched through the rooms, passing by the quarters of the king, along with a room with a single glowing sword in it.

Although it glowed, he didn’t know how to wield it, and he left it there for someone who could wield it better than himself.

The next room as he cracked the door open was a room with elves in cages, all female and pretty by humans.  He looked away from them though, to a dwarf they were ugly trophies of war, something to show off to your friends.  They yelled at him to release them, asking what was happening outside.  He shrugged, closing the door behind himself, not caring about them with a single ounce of his soul.

He walked across the hallway, opening one last door and praying.

He hit the treasure throve, looking at the room.  At the end of it were two coffins, both made out of gold completely.  Around him was falls of lava, platinum columns, slabs engraved.  A modest room overall, the floors only made of silver.

Above it the right one, was a plaque that read “Dreamstorm, the Mining Champion.”  He bowed to the body, wondering what it must have been like to have had to mine through your enemies.  He was the sixth champion of Goldenhold, right before Stonehand himself.  He had succeeded though, managing to save his family and his friends.

Above the left one was a plaque that read, “Here lies the corpse of the maker, the founder, the trailblazer of the Age of Myth.  Goldpick watch us all, and guide us with his forgiving mineshaft into the darkness of the caverns of life.”

At that moment, he didn’t feel like Goldpick was siding with him, instead with the enemy.  He wondered if he hated them for depleting the world of it’s resources, but he doubted it.

Between the two readings was indeed a golden pick, mounted against a background of Adamantine.  He grabbed it, the density of the decorative metal pulling his hands down.  Voices strange filled his head for a moment, speaking an ancient language into his ears, but they suddenly stopped.  The pick began to glow, small bolts traveling across it’s surface, recognizing a new owner.

He heard the door crash open, seeing a demon staring at him.  He hit the ceiling once, a thin sheet part collapsing and separating them.  Rather than trying to tear down the wall to reach the dwarf, he backed off in search of delivering instant pain to it’s next victim, short memory it’s weakness.

He shrugged, knowing he couldn’t head down that path anymore.  He lifted his pick, hitting a wall of gold, shattering it.  He was heading to the outside of the fortress, several miles off.  Normally, it would take a century to cover that sort of distance.  However, with the pick he felt legendary, mining faster than he could walk.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:49:39 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:24 am »

EDIT:  Will do another update soon.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:22:26 pm by RabidAnubis »

efud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 14, 2012, 02:44:09 pm »

Oh... My... God.... I would have never imagined you would dwarf me, nevermind

make me some badass miner dwarf!  :o I havent checked this story in a while, i was waiting so i could read a few chapters at once and i come back to this. Best day of my life.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 14, 2012, 03:20:02 pm »

Okay that was pretty epic.  Quite well written overall as well.  The last line was a bit awkward but who gives a shit.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 14, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »

Okay that was pretty epic.  Quite well written overall as well.  The last line was a bit awkward but who gives a shit.

Okay, thanks for pointing this out.

If there is anything else, tell me so I can fix it.  I just re read it and realized that it made no sense.  Give me a moment.

Edit: FIXED, also the story is a total of 39,250 words long, only 750 from a novel.  So next chapter this will become a novel length story!
I'm still wondering where that guy went who said he could make a cover.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:54:15 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 15, 2012, 08:11:07 pm »

Also, I appologize, but I won't be able to update until the 18th at the very least.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 15, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »

congrats almost there!!!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:45 pm »

Stay on target...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:05:54 pm by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30