Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110663 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novella)
« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2012, 09:08:47 pm »

Stay on target...

LOL.

Okay, I'm back.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

One of my games has been having issues, trying to solve it right now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:45:07 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 45: Greater Versus Lesser

“WHY CAN’T THEY BE ELEPHANTS!”  The goblins were fleeing in terror, from the raw essence of evil.  While some would argue that their patron god was, the goblins had an argument against that for centuries.  The argument was that Armok was greedy for blood, and did not care about he source.  Also, Armok rewarded the faithful to a certain degree, like Amud with his powers and his sword.  These demons did not seem inclined to help those who joined them, like some of the weaker willed goblins were doing.

They ran into many barricades of corpses, but Valican was always at the lead.  The will to survive was a big one, and not only was he part of the goblin elite but also he was the HEAD of the goblin elite, meaning he was the best.  Either way, the slower goblins acted as excellent bait.

With jewels strapped around his neck from the raid (After all, even goblins are greedy, even though they are religious, which Valican was not) he continued running.  However, he slowed down once the point got across that there were enough goblins behind him that he could jog a little slower.  Soon he noticed that only his soldiers, despite their armor, were the ones in the lead.  He had trained them well, and answered the call of Amud VERY well.

He wished that he had skipped out on the opportunity though- most of his people were dead.  It wasn’t a good thing to gain wealth for only a few lives, and it wasn’t like there was any bloodshed going on anymore besides that of the demons. 

After almost an hour of this, he finally reached the shore, with much less of a buffer behind him.  However, all the ships besides the Scourge were wrecked for some reason, imploded on themselves.  He didn’t think Amud’s ghost would mind him stealing it, and he wouldn’t have issues with it being overcrowded- all the trolls were dead.  After only a few more ran on, he ordered them to begin to back off. 

The oars began to move, heaving the ship away from the shore.  As goblins stormed out of the place, the tunnel collapsed suddenly, crushing many inside and closing off the seaside entrance.  Not a single demon escaped, and maybe only a hundred goblins.  Several began to swim in the surf after the ship, and many drowned from trying to reach it, heavy armor pulling them down into the grips of the ocean.  However, several made it, maybe a total of fifty.

They sailed away the Scourge heading into the sunrise of a new day.  He disliked it.  He disliked it a lot.  He wished it was night so at least he could hide his shame from his troops, hide the damage to his pride.  They looked at him, knowing that this was his shame and defeat.

“OH MY ARMOK!”  A dwarf was suddenly struck down by the pincer of a crab demon, torn into pieces by the force of the body against the silver floor.

Things were not going well for Goldenhold.  Even though the demons had to squeeze through the hole, more kept on coming. 

Goldenhold was doomed, greed driving it to the end.  Only a few had managed to flee to one of the upper levels, otherwise, they were heading off.  Stonehand took one swing at the crab demon, sending it colliding into another demon as they exploded together, killing a family of civilians.

He saw an agent of the Zykor run by, holding a nice looking crossbow.  He had a few guards with him, but they seemed to be fleeing.

He didn’t blame them.  With silver melting, gold vaporizing, and skin being melted of bones, he began to slowly back up to the staircase, swinging one last demon into the ground before heading up.

There, he made his final few kills.  A cow demon, along with a peacock demon were slain.  Several took their place though, forcing him each time to back up a few steps, and lose ground.  More entered than he could slay.

Three jumped on him, entering into a wrestling match with him.  He snapped one of them in half, and hit another with a hammer.  The last one he ran from.  He had a scratch on his arm, and it was slowly bleeding onto the ground, golden ambrosia falling.

He sprinted away, running faster than most dwarves could in five times as long.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:03:20 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:51 pm »

40,000 WORDS FTW!  IT IS NOW A NOVEL BABIES!

WOOT!  (It actually has exactly 40,000)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2012, 01:53:29 pm »

Congratulations on becoming a novel! An excellent one at that.

efud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2012, 09:35:00 pm »

I wish i could Reread this story and it have the same effect it did the first time through!  :'(

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:14 pm »

I wish that every time I read something.

On with the story! :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »

Thanks, but considering the fact that I'm doing a project today the chance of an update iS: Doubtful

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #398 on: March 24, 2012, 06:42:13 am »

40,000 WORDS FTW!  IT IS NOW A NOVEL BABIES!

WOOT!  (It actually has exactly 40,000)

Goldenhold : 40k

Kinda feel sorry for the goblins, 50 hardened veterans strapped with wealth who have seen things.

Goblin Normandy, the HFS, Dragons, rivers of blood, Physics defying Dwarfs...

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2012, 06:16:01 pm »

Lol.  Thanks.  I'll see if I can update tonight!

EDIT: Sorry, hw.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:01:29 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 46: Menacing Spikes

The situation was not going well for the humans, mostly because of the fact that when the average human body catches fire, it tends to do bad for it’s owner, screaming uncontrollably.  The demons are very adept at setting things on fire, so when demons create fire and place fire on humans, they burn.

However, returning to the gorge was a very wise move.  If that army had been caught by the gate, they would have threatened Argon’s life, along with giving them less room to fall back.  Also, the siege equipment could send five gigantic bolts into the next demon coming through the entrance, destroying them before having the chance to unleash hell on Zeon’s forces.

But every few minutes one of the precious ballistas fell apart, flew into the gorge, or was simply burned.  This considerably lowered the power of the army, who began to fall back.

Zeon was still slicing them down, bloodlust taking it’s toll on him.  For some reason, he was not dying despite the fact more than three demons had attacked him overall.  He kept calling his army to the battle, threatening that he’d drink the blood from their corpses after he killed them.  Each individual platoon had to decide weather Zeon or the demons were more scary at this point.  All thought of ‘loyalty’ had been thrown down the drain.

Many decided the demons were scarier, although a few stayed for their last moments.  Most of the demons chased after those who ran, basking in their fear.  So when at the darkest moment three dwarves with light blue cloaks and a wagon lead by donkeys arrived, no one took notice.

At that very moment, two demons were struck down by five crossbow bolts in each.  A couple of seconds later, two more were struck down.  That left five demons in the room, one wounded dispatched easily by Zeon.  One was struck down by a dwarf with a very ornate axe, and the remaining humans swore they recognized it.  The remainder were defeated by the last one, wielding a very grand spear menacing with spikes of adamantine at the end, covered in the ichor of evil.

Zeon yelled at them, “Who are you!  Dwarves?”  He wasn’t in the mood to fight a band of demigods, so he was very cheerful at the reply, but also mildly scared.

“Your army has gotten it’s wealth, and the fortress is lost.  We’ve basked in your blood as vengeance, and I’m really enjoying the sight of those coward in your army being slaughtered like pigs.  We’ll call it.... even.”  The dwarf with the crossbow smiled at him grievously, and the party ran across the bridge. 

A few more demons came, but they were struck down.  They took some of the stronger humans with them though.  “So where’s the one with the maul?”  They saw two more figures approach with two wagons, both in cloaks of light blue.  One wore a pair of gloves, which on the ends of the knuckles had spikes of steel.  The other had a mace made of pure gold.  They quickly ran across the bridge, and Zeon had to ask the dwarves a question that had been bugging him for a while.

“What the hell- okay it’s in front of us, I mean what in the name of Goldpick makes dwarves put menacing spikes on everything?”

“Why shouldn’t we put menacing spikes on everything?  More wounds!”  The one with the gloves said, cracking his hands together for relaxation.

“Couldn’t that cause some accidental deaths?  I mean, putting too many spikes on seems like a bad thing....”  He was worried he was offending them, and he couldn’t help but smile at the cheerful reply.

“Okay.  Let’s say someone dies because of those spikes.  One death- when their are rivers of blood pouring into the hall of the king you think a few badass intimidating menacing armokscrewed from the realm of hell are going to make that much of a difference?”  They looked at each other, and then broke out laughing at the stupidity of humans.

Humans just didn’t understand.  And with Stonehand starting to sprint across the bridge they might not have a chance to, not because he’d finish the humans, but more or less because there were a hundred angry hungry and savage demons of various shapes and sizes barreling after him as if he was some sort of lure.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 26, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »

And that's when you know you're fucked :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »

Stonehand, running from X = X is bad.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

I'll try and update this evening.

Damn CK2 for being so addicting.

Started on it.

Will finish it tommorow.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:40:46 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 02, 2012, 09:53:03 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 47: FIRE FROM EARTH

As Stonehand barged across the bridge, moving corpses out of the way, everyone else decided to follow suit by deciding to run also.  Out of greed, they brought the wagons still, thinking there was enough time between the demons crossing (or flying over) the bridge to gather the equipment.  Later, they would need the supplies and gold in them, so it was overall a good move.

However, that is not part of this tale.  What is part of this tale is the fireballs raining down on the remaining human archers.  The demons, having slaughtered the cowards, began to close in on both sides of the survivors of the siege- well, the human ones.  It seemed like a hundred more were arriving on the opposite side of the gorge, finished with the flesh of the goblins.

There were many noises to go along with the sight of human flesh burning from the bones of their bodies as they writhed in pain, watching themselves die with horror until the bones of their body turned into vapor, disappearing into the air, the stench spreading through the air to eventually travel by the winds to reach the widowed wives of the warriors.

There were screams, yells, a symphony of horror that even the grandest orchestra could not match.  Weapons clattered as they crashed into the ground, the sound of sparks sizzling against the grand floor as the weapons were heated.

There were sounds of chaos.  The dwarves were not the only ones involved in the affair of tripping others to increase the chance for themselves.  The closer to the back, the more.... greedy the humans got.

None of the dwarves died though, the adamantine of their cloaks defending them as they ran.  The demons seemed to take only a slight interest in the wagons though, thinking the humans more of a crunchy meal.

By the time they reached the gate, only a few humans remained, easily less than fifty.  The dwarf with the hammer turned around, a powerful swing that forced a demon to be slain.

“UP TO THE TOWER!” 

Argon was already up there, having a sense for survival.  The gate was obviously not working at all, and he looked down as the others looked up.  A few loss their step, falling down and the resounding crack of bones was heard more than once.  The demons ran up the stairs in following pursuit. 

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30