Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 108929 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)
« Reply #405 on: April 02, 2012, 09:53:35 pm »

I was cut short, I'll post another one tommorow.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:10 am »

Hmm. Perhaps I should have escaped immediately after the assassination...

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:52 am »

If "Escaping"  counts as running into a grand hall filled with goblins, then you would have had a great escape.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:41 pm »

Okay, I'm sorry for not updating, but I've been an emotional trainwreck lately.

:'(

Sorry about that.  I'll try and give an easter update if I feel it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:45 pm »

I too have hit a severe mental trainwreck. Bloody 3 humanities/english courses is killing me, almost literally.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:04 pm »

Goldenhold
Chapter 48: Closing the Hatch

The demons flew after them.  Humans were shot off left and right, and some even turned valiantly to battle.  All races agreed on the cultural premise that it was better to fall to your death because you were focused on the fight than to be slain, so none were bothered when several fell off the ramp.  It was almost casual by this point.

Stonehand jumped up one story to get ahead of the rest.  The other dwarves ran after him with surprising speed, the weapons of champions past giving them strength.  By the time they reached the top, only three humans had made it.  However, the demons mysteriously ignored the caravans, going after only one threat at a time.  The luggage was not caught in any sort of crossfire.

A fireball flew in front of stonehand, which made the ends of his mustache fizz with heat.  It was not an enjoyable experience, but he was grateful he wasn’t sent flying only to have to climb the tower once more.

The dwarves made it up there.  Argon and Efud were waiting.  In the end, all seven dwarves survived along with most of the caravans along with three humans.  The hatch was slammed shut to the tower, the demons clawing against it.  It seemed like as if the demons couldn’t go up, which was fine with them.  Stonehand even went so far as to place a boulder on top of the steel hatch to prevent it from being breached.  A hole gaped in the wall where Efud had dug from.  They closed the hole off, the gap never to be seen again.

Suddenly, Zeon began to laugh.  At first everyone glared at him, but then Stonehand started to laugh along with him.  The other two human survivors, Zandria and a private in Zeon’s army started to go along with them.

In a few minutes, everyone was laughing.  For some reason, the fall of the fortress was hysterical.  In the end, the winners were the goblins, and they were only the survivors.  Sure those on the tower were loaded with mystical weapons that could destroy armies with ease, but the rivers of blood and extreme worship of Armok that had occurred at Goldenhold had defiled it and anything that it ever was.  The city of twenty thousand years had finally crumbled, and a million ghosts would haunt it forever.  Maybe some person would come by in the future and retake it when the mountain had long been turned into a desert.  But for now, the ten of them had no purpose.  They sat in the tower, drinking some of the fine ale that was in one of the wagons.

So one of the cloaked dwarves pushed his beard aside for the moment and asked where they were going to go.  Argon said that he intended on returning to Ironforge with the crown.  Everyone looked at him like he was crazy until he pulled it out, a thousand jewels on his head. 

The three humans had to head by Ironforge to return to Zeon’s kingdom, so the entire group in the end decided to head to Ironforge together, and split their paths there.

Efud dug a ramp for the caravans and the people within a matter of minutes, legendary considering the height of the tower.  The horses ran steeply, but in the end all made it without harm.

And the party of eleven headed out, crossing the bridge with the bodies of knights littered over it, the elite warriors slain by ballistas.  They went over the hills that were past the bridge, avoiding the much more convenient path in the name of the spirit of adventure.

Enemies of soon would turn into allies of the future as they walked together, bracing against the wind that blew into them.  Stonehand led the party, the wagons following him and no others without having to be commanded.  The champion continued over the hills as the others turned around for one last look.  They saw two massive gates.  But he didn’t.  No, he saw an opportunity.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:21:57 pm by RabidAnubis »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 10, 2012, 10:03:48 pm »

Is that it? If so,you are about tied with the giant from giant in the playground for loving cliffhangers!  >:( >:( >:(
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 10, 2012, 11:15:02 pm »

Well, "They all walked off into the sunset and lived happily ever-after" isn't much of a cliffhanger, besides suggesting that because they're not dead themselves their story isn't over yet.

But I do indeed hope for moar!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2012, 03:10:44 pm »

Well, "They all walked off into the sunset and lived happily ever-after" isn't much of a cliffhanger, besides suggesting that because they're not dead themselves their story isn't over yet.

But I do indeed hope for moar!

Lol.

Sorry, I'm still going through crap in my head.  I do intend on bringing them back in the third one.

However, would you REALLY call this a "happy ending".  I wouldn't. (Cough) As far as you know they could be killed on the way.  (Cough)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2012, 10:39:32 pm »

...However, would you REALLY call this a "happy ending"...

This is the DWARF FORTRESS forum.  If you want an ending that isn't happy, your doing it fucking wrong.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »

...However, would you REALLY call this a "happy ending"...

This is the DWARF FORTRESS forum.  If you want an ending that isn't happy, your doing it fucking wrong.

Wouldn't it be if you want an ending that is happy your doing it wrong? 

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:35 pm »

Losing is fun, losing is the happy ending.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 12, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »

Losing is fun, losing is the happy ending.

Did Goldenhold lose though, is the philosophical question.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 12, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »

Is this depressing at all to you guys?  It's the start of the next part in the tale, but I want this one to be more serious and not so out of proportion with the rest of the world.

He died a month ago, but it feels as if it happened only yesterday.  The blood dripped over the path outside, the red liquid giving it a new paint job.  No one has been able to pick up his remains.  He remains out there, unburied, rotting away in the wind, but moving nonetheless.  Ever since his death the fortress has been in a bad mood, people doing their jobs half-heartedly and without satisfaction.  I wish that I had it in me to write that I was trying to do something to uplift this sorrow, but it goes deep into my heart too.

I don’t know what to do anymore.  Where Urist went there was happiness.  Despite the fact that the necromancer had risen a siege of what seemed to be billions of body parts, he remained cheerful.  I remember how when I sat at this desk, writing these very journals, he waved at me many a time.  It was an everyday thing, him coming by on his way to work at the craftshop.  Once in a while, despite the horde beyond our walls, he would walk in and ask something like “How’s it going chief?” or “Any migrants today?” and maybe a “What about the expansion to the great hall?  It would mean we could all eat together!” despite the fact that we all know it was impossible for us to afford that at this point.  I would smile and say maybe.  And everyday during one of the break times in the fortress he would smile and say with his endless optimism, “Chief said the wall would come up soon!  Imagine...”  and he would give off tales of how the world was going to be great in a few years despite the fact that winter we lost over fifty of us for various reasons.

There were only twenty of us left when he passed, and I remember very clearly what happened the day he died.  He had just finished passing by the newborn son of a loving couple, telling them how wonderful there five week son was to play with.  I swear, out of all of us, that baby misses him the most.  He used to go in there and mess around with him, bringing some of the obsidian toys we intended on selling to the caravan that died outside our walls at the beginning of the year, attempting to make some bonus profit because of the danger.

He then walked down to the great hall.  Well, it never was great and probably never will be, but it is the traditional name.  He walked in there, sat down at one of the granite thrones next to me, and ate a few bites of breakfast.  For me it was dinner.  We lost track of the time a long while ago, only knowing the hours of the day by what the masons told us.  Once every few weeks they go up to the surface hauling small rocks with them.  They look for small holes, and as they patch them up they can see a bit of sun or a bit of moon.  Then they close off nature along with the hand trying to grab them through the tiny gap.  I had been sad that day, getting in an argument with my lover.  When he sat down with me that... morning I guess, he smiled and asked what was  wrong with me.  I turned down telling him for a while, but after a while he insisted.  He was always helpful, and enjoyed trying to make others be as optimistic as himself.

I explained to him my problem.  I know this is private between me and her, but I don’t think anyone will get a chance to read this anyways who doesn’t already know.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 13, 2012, 12:36:35 am »

I've gotta say, that's pretty damn depressing. You convey the bleakness of their future quite well.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30