Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)  (Read 110590 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Age of Myth: Goldenhold (A DF Novel Length Story)
« Reply #435 on: December 30, 2012, 12:25:19 am »

Mistakes tend to help us improve more than successes these days :P
20k posts! Aw yeah. This thread is awesome :D
Just ask yourself what (if anything) went wrong, what can be changed and how you go about it. Should be fine!

Unless writer's block or something... In which case invest in a notebook. Doodle every thought and every dream. Valuable stuff the subconscious makes.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 30, 2012, 12:28:35 am »

I'll prolly work on it next semester.  I'll get home earlier and I can spend the hour I would have at tennis instead for this :)
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #437 on: December 30, 2012, 02:26:27 am »

I'll prolly work on it next semester.

*writes this down*
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 30, 2012, 11:19:11 pm »

An attempt at one about a unique perspective, a caravan guard.
Or do you guys prefer fortresses?

The grass blew in the wind, hooves trotting nearby.  The horses were weary, but winter would set in soon and a life or death situation is decided- would they make it or not?  Every year the same journey was made, and every year the civilization of Kingsground collapsed further in on itself, the journey grew ever more treacherous.  The border forts were collapsing to hordes of cowardly but bloodthirsty goblins that poured over into the heartland, where many innocent outposts fell prey.  The only normal things considered worse than the goblins were the undead from the necromancers- it did not matter weather or not the fight was lost, the bodies without souls would fight to the very last bone was broken, and every muscle torn.  Even the normally friendly human kingdoms of the south were besieging several large fortresses on the border, not to occupy them but instead to seize the wealth within.  The only safe side for Kingsground was to the East, where Ironforge sat proudly in a volcano.  However, it's king was arbitrary and had forgotten even the slightest notion of dwarvern brotherhood, tradition, or law.  While old alliances called for their aid, they were only responded nominally, promising arms and armies but never sending them.  Rumor had been told, however, that he was willing to make a deal with the devil and slay for the mountainhome, if only so the king could sit on the two thrones and have two crowns resting on his head, even if he sat on the crackling bones of his dwarvern brethren.

The sky was as gloomy as the situation of the kingdom seemed- it was windy and the sun was blocked out, casting everything into an eerie shadow when it should have been a bright noon.  Slowly the caravan moved forward, seven guards and one cart pulling across the land in the name of the collapsing realm.  The possibility of death was very high, but these men were well trained in the art of war, every one of their swords stained with the blood of their foes.  But while these men had much experience, it seemed as if even their own shadows were too afraid to follow them into the fray, but nonetheless they carried on.

Besides the seven guards and one cart several other goods were with them.  In order of greatest to least important they had horses, lumber, booze, food, weapons, a few pieces of unrefined ore, and a broker.  In reality their job was supposed to be to trade for a profit, but quickly the king changed it from quick profit to sustaining the border at any cost.  They were told to trade for anything, even a load of bad crafts.  A thousand bad trinkets were hardly worth a single masterpiece one, and art was certainly a thing of quality, not quantity.  But nonetheless, they always pretended that they needed those crafts, and the soap, and the cheese that these fortresses felt the need to make.  The sale of those objects were vital to the fortress economy, and in extension the economy of the entire kingdom.  They sent swords and shields and crossbows and picks out to these border forts, trying to sustain Dukes on every side from collapsing.  But the dukes would use these arms against everyone but their own liege and their own vassals, trying to swallow up each others already digested lands.

The king had the perspective that the dukes really only understood the political intrigue at their level.  Each one would stab at their brothers for even the slightest gain in wealth, not realizing that it was either a powerful brother at the border or the goblins at their own borders.  The king was right of course, but Alas!  If only the king knew that he only had the political viewpoint of Kingsground, but not of all Dwarvern brotherhood as the king believed he did.  If the king really was as politically intelligent as he claimed, or even empathetic enough to accuse his eastern neighbor of potential betrayal, could he not realize that he would have helped out his northern and western brothers so that this situation would have never occurred?  But alas, the sin of greed had made the dwarvern nations into a line of dominoes, the first one has tipped and therefore the rest must follow.  Kingsground was the next in line but not the last.

The fight against the inevitable was pointless, some would say, but nonetheless they fought as if it would make some sort of difference.  This is why now, in the eternal gloom they faced, the seven caravan guards armed themselves upon seeing a few goblins that had managed to sneak past the mountains, possibly through a cave and out of a dwarvern settlement.  It didn't matter where the guards had come from.  What mattered was that they were here now, and that these goods could be stolen.  The broker sounded the horn ceremoniously as the brave seven stood their ground against the small party.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #439 on: December 31, 2012, 08:50:17 pm »

One thing I liked a lot about your writing was how you mixed up the perspective all the time. It kept things fresh and gives the readers different views on the same thing.

So to answer your question, everything.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #440 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:53 am »

One thing I liked a lot about your writing was how you mixed up the perspective all the time. It kept things fresh and gives the readers different views on the same thing.

So to answer your question, everything.

This is good :D

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:26 pm »

Writting up now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:15:18 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 09, 2013, 05:00:05 pm »

The Age of Myth
Battledragon

Chapter 1: Big Bad Bronze

A group of exhausted guards sprinted into the court room, slamming the steel door closed behind themselves.  A second passed.  The doors began to shake with a sudden force.  A noticeable imprint was pressed into the door, but it was hard to tell who and what the offender was.  A battering ram, catapult?  Another second.  This time the outline of a fist became obvious as the massive fist of a god seemed to etch itself into the steel barrier.  The room seemed to shake, dust lifting from the long oaken tables in the throne room only to settle on the rug beneath them.  This time people in the background screamed, children and elders and the like.  Not everyone in Battledragon was a warrior but when the strength of a deity descends upon a fortress everyone is expected to do their part.

Well, besides the nobles of course.  The baron sat upon his throne in the same room, the mighty ruby chair resting on a raised platform of obsidian.  He glared as his warriors retreat within with his powerful blue eyes.  "What's the matter with you lot?  I told you to defend my fortress, your homes!  Defend it you cowards!"  The fist impression became much more obvious as another whack slammed into it.  Arms in a silken robe resting upon a ruby throne pointed at the steel entrance, trying with the force of will to turn the men back to fighting.  "Where are you going even?"

The fighters looked among themselves for someone else to answer.  There were about thirty of them left- blood covering the bronze shields of some, but no captain of the guard.  They looked among themselves for someone to break the obvious to the noble.  A brave soul with a steel spear walked forward, raising her bronze shield slightly as if it would block the stupidity of the ruler.  Her slammed the butt of his spear into the ground, trying to appear powerful and brave.  "Do you really expect us to defeat the might of gods?!  We aren't Goldenhold my liege!"  Her voice carried and captured him, her amethyst eyes piercing his skin.

The noble slammed his fist onto the ruby armrest.  "I never asked you to be Goldenhold.  I know Goldenhold couldn't fall to any army, perhaps all the armies!  The pits of hell would have to slaughter them, if such a place even existed!  But I don't believe in such rubbish!"  The door was stuck once more, this time the sapphire chandelier shifting with a lantern falling off and onto the ornate rug that covered the floor beneath the tables.  It couldn't take another blow.  "I'm asking you to kill one, one little thing!"

"It's certainly not one little thing, my lord.  It's one big thing."  Confident once again, crawling beneath his skin.

"Who are you even?  Oh yes, I forgot, you moved here from that place?  You don't know how things are done here!  We do things with strength girl!"  Sarcasm became strength as he spoke- between the two he had more experience with politics.  He would not let speech get beneath his skin so quickly.

"I'm proud of my origins you know, and I'm not the one cowering on that throne, am I?  Why don't you come join us and show us how to be brave!?"  She took a sidestep, inviting the baron to take the floor.  The soldiers rallied behind her, oohrahing and such.  "We should be going into the caverns below, where ceilings are too slow for this monster!  But your afraid it'll steal your gold, aren't you?  You'll risk our lives but not your own to defend it!"

The baron took a step forward, unsheathing his steel blade as he cleared the throne and dropped onto the floor below the obsidian platform with ease, the silk robes shifting with the movement.  He walked right up to her, almost thrashing her soft features with his mighty black beard.  "I don't take instructions from whores who are kicked out of the city of heaven.  You've been here a year, and I am no coward.  I'll show you fools how this is done!"  He charged towards the steel door with the instinct of many battles.

And then the bronze colossus entered the great hall, the steel door shattering with the last mighty impact of it's fist.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:01:46 pm by RabidAnubis »

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 14, 2013, 04:28:02 pm »

Chapter 2: A Strange Projectile

The bronze colossus stormed down towards the baron, swinging a mighty fist to slay his foe.  The baron took a step back, taking advantage of the colossus's slowness to butcher his foe.  The royal stabbed the sword into the giant's foot, barely managing to scratch it.  The other soldiers looked at the Baron expectantly.  Instead a fist slammed into the Baron's unprotected left, sending him flying into a table on the right side of the hall, dazed or broken.  His black beard was covering his face, and some of the guards wondering if anyone would have a chance to move it since no one was keen on recovering the body.

A moment of silence remained until the colossus mechanically strolled towards the next targets.  That's when the guards and the warriors scattered, knowing their doom was certain.  The female warrior who had challenged the baron earlier looked at her fallen liege, then ran with the others into the halls, turning their backs on the entrance to the outside.  But right as she entered, she heard a moan to her left.  The guard saw the baron start to pick himself up, coughing.  Something left his mouth as he did so.  Blood perhaps?  She was considering leaving him because of his previous insult.  After all, he had called her a whore.  But her morality took over and soon she was out into the hall once more, looking at the colossus.  Knowing it was stupid, she charged right into the monster, stabbing her spear into it's arm.  It went surprisingly deep, and was certain that the beast had to feel pain.  The guardswoman began to pull out her spear.

It didn't come out.  It was stuck.  Another pull, still stuck.  The colossus lifted the other arm, swinging at her once again.  Not wanting to end up like the baron, she abandoned the spear in order to dodge the mighty swing.  The colossus moved closer, and the guard reached behind herself for something, anything to throw.  Her hand found something, and she gave it a mighty tug and threw it into the air. 

The baron slammed into the colossus's face at a high velocity, the weight of the lazy baron dislodging it.  Both the megabeast and the baron were dead.  The guardswoman was in shock.  Suddenly, she heard cheers.  "All hail, Tinkloth, heroine of Battledragon!" 

She looked at them stunned.  "The baron is dead!  Who will lead us?"  Despite her distaste for the previous ruler, she knew her new home would quickly collapse without the aid of a strong, central leader.

The townspeople were too overwhelmed with joy to realize it wasn't their right to hand out a promotion.  An older member of the fortress stepped forward.  "None the matter!  We need a new leader, and the position of mayor has been ignored for far too long.  I for one, elect Tinkloth!"  A hoard of ayes went up from the crowd.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #444 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:15 pm »

The baron slammed into the colossus's face at a high velocity, the weight of the lazy baron dislodging it.  Both the megabeast and the baron were dead.

Why kill a bronze colossus with a fluffy wambler when you can chuck a noble at it?
I wish nobles were this useful in the game.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »

But they are! They make excellent test cases for the pressure plate activated meat grinder.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #446 on: January 15, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

The loss of a warrior baron is always a terrible, dramatic thing to behold.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 22, 2013, 07:21:00 pm »

Chapter 3: New Year

Tinkloth, mayor of the fortress of Battledragon, had a serious issue.  Where to put the goddamn statue in the first place?  After the colossus had died everyone agreed that it needed to be put somewhere to show the world the might of their fortress.  Perhaps goblins and raiders would cower in fear of the thirty guards who live within the fortress.

Celebrating the new year with style, they chose to place the head as a footstool for whoever sat in the throne and the body as a support for the ceiling in place of a decaying column.  The majority of the fortress agreed that the use of the body was good and willed by armok and every other god in the pantheon.  Such a footstool would put fear into any invader who managed to enter the grand hall.

She ordered the everyone to take a week off of their jobs and celebrate the new year along with the accomplishment of keeping both fortress and home.  Everyone soon was drunk and jolly.  After that week however she had a fortress to manage and a new job to do it.  Now she knew why the previous baron was always irritated and considered the populace both useless and ignorant.  People came up and complained to her about everything.  Some cases were somewhat reasonable while others were somewhat... bizarre.

One man came up to her, explaining that he was not performing well on beds because of the wood that he had.  After stating that such a matter was part of the marriage and not her business, he explained that he was a carpenter.

A couple complained about how their son had died because the toddler had wondered outside.  Tinkloth assured them that his soul would rest in peace.  Nonetheless, they blamed the fact that wolves had eaten their child on her, and rambled on for an hour or so.  Tinkloth was incredibly annoyed by this, and eventually asked them why they hadn't watched their child.  They appeared shocked at that idea- children were not meant to be watched, but instead were created to spend both of their parent's money and act irresponsible.  Tinkloth sent an order to the masons that they would be needing two more coffins.

Otherwise however, this was a calm in the storm that the next month would be. 

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 22, 2013, 07:23:52 pm »

A reminder about why I need to rotate PoV's in order to keep a story interesting a a lull time.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]