Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: lava forges  (Read 3870 times)

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: lava forges
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 05:53:29 pm »

None of the materials found at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_safe, in the chart, are available?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 08:51:46 pm »

if you want to make your magma-forges ect at the lvl, you found the magme, you can simply create a little area to flood with magma. then(or before, however you like) channel single tiles the z-Level above to create your forges/smelter.

all smelter have a solid tile in the middle of the top row. The forge has it on the outer tiles of the middle row. when you place these solid tiles on the channeld part, the building will be powered but wont let anything move through the hole. Even buildingdestoyer cant get  through, because creatures cant destoy buildings above them.

If you still want to seal off the area with a floodgate/door, the easiest accesseble materials would be glas (sand can be collected/brought from Caravans), Iron/steel (caravan) or simply obsidian, for whitch you just need water.

IF you have water acceseble you could even use that to seal of the area. While simple ponding seems to have problems at magma-flow (but should work to create an "wall" in the magma) you can still pond it some z-level above.

XP_
XHX
XW_
XMX

X= Wall. Natural or artifical
P= Channel with a declared Pond.
H= Channel to collect the Water.
W= artifical Wall (easier to create the channel)
M= Magma

After you filled the Channel above the Wall with water and the declared area has the desired amoud of Magma inside, simply deconstruct the wall. The water will cool of the Magma creating an Obsidian-wall that seals of the area. Now you just need to seal of the normal walkeble areas, if you haven't done it before.

and for the piston-method you dont need magma-save materials. Constructed Floors dont need to be Magma-save, so you can build the piston this way:

. . . XXXX . . .
___ . XX . ____ <-top level after the piston lands.
XX . .XX . . XX
XX . XXXX . XX

x=Wall
_ = floor
. = open space

This way the Floors dont have contact while the piston is ready to be lunches and therefor dont support it, but will catch the Magma after launching. The only negative part is, that you will loose 2 "blocks" of magma for each tile of the circumference from the Piston. the center will still teleport all its Magma on top of the piston.

The last thing im not sure about: is clay magmasave? and how about ceramic-bricks?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:53:19 pm by Wurgel »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 09:25:04 pm »

All clay-based bricks appear to be magma safe.

I might point out that you can build a magma piston of any size with one pickaxe and four pieces of stone and you don't need any magma safe materials.

I've been trying to build forts just above the magma sea recently. Pistons and pump stacks are an enormous headache, and there isn't really any advantage to locating near the surface. The fort should be next to magma; it's so much easier to move the fort than the magma.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:36 pm »

Appearances can be deceiving - earthenware and stoneware are not magma-safe. However, you don't technically need magma-safe materials to build magma forges/furnaces (since they never come in contact with the magma); the game just demands magma-safe materials for flavor/narrative reasons. If you're running DF 0.31.25 Win32 SDL, you can apply the binary patch here and all in-game checks for fire/magma-safety will actually start working correctly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 09:58:49 pm »

Pistons and pump stacks are an enormous headache, and there isn't really any advantage to locating near the surface. The fort should be next to magma; it's so much easier to move the fort than the magma.
Yeah, it's not too difficult to sink a staircase down and then treat the magma sea levels as though they're shallow metal levels. If you have macros for fortress creation you'll need to back up a bit so that you have one full layer of stone between your designations and the magma, and they can't be too big either since the lowest cavern generally sits low enough to have warm stone in it. But other than that, the lower levels are much like the upper ones. You can use channelling and cave-ins to bring light and clay / sand* down to the magma area too.

I'm not really sure what the OP is trying to say. If they're not using pump stacks or magma pistons, then they'll have to go down to the magma. There's a small chance that they'll hit a swathe of SMR, but for the most part you can pick a random tile on the surface and assume that if you go down far enough, you can just bodge a hole in the floor and put down some magma works.

*In 40d, if you had various soil levels on top of each other, collapsing a surface soil through another one to the rock beneath would cause the soil to change into the material of the lowest soil layer. So if you had sand on the surface and then something else between it and the stone layers, no sandpit by the furnaces for you. I don't know how it works in .31.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 10:22:22 pm »

Appearances can be deceiving - earthenware and stoneware are not magma-safe. However, you don't technically need magma-safe materials to build magma forges/furnaces (since they never come in contact with the magma); the game just demands magma-safe materials for flavor/narrative reasons. If you're running DF 0.31.25 Win32 SDL, you can apply the binary patch here and all in-game checks for fire/magma-safety will actually start working correctly.

I've used bricks for magma pumps before without them melting. Are you saying that you don't need magma safe materials for pumps? For a pump stack, the space for a pump operator doesn't need to be submerged, but a pump submerged in magma at least should need to be constructed of magma safe materials, right? I read in the wiki that if you use wooden tubes and the like they would burn under whatever conditions, and assumed that the same would be true for blocks. I don't have the patience or FPS to science that assumption.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »

It looks like it is on topic now, but the first page is a mess and I'm going to keep hearing about it unless the topic is locked.  People have gotten a bit out of control here and I'm going to have to start handing out warnings if this continues.  Necro has been muted for being a nexus of these disturbances and for ignoring my warnings about them.

Please try to be more respectful.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 2 [3]