Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves drink water instead of plentiful booze. Why?  (Read 1956 times)

Elf_Basher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves drink water instead of plentiful booze. Why?
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:08 pm »

Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, I wasn't able to find it with a search but I'm new to these parts and might be missing something. If that's the case, many apologies!

I've run into an odd behavior in my dwarves recently that I can't quite figure out. I currently have a surplus of booze (199 units as of now) and all my dwarves are seemingly healthy. I haven't had a siege yet and as far as I can tell from the status screen of the dwarves in question they are uninjured. By all rights these dwarves should be happily swilling alcohol, right? For some reason though I keep catching them sneaking off to the river for a drink of water.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why they would do this. The legendary dining hall my booze is stockpiled in is fully accessible to the teetotaling dwarves so that doesn't seem to be the reason. The only thing I could turn up is that one of the dwarves had a grudge with another who was currently in the single meeting hall I have designated but that was only in one case of many.

I'm beginning to worry for the sanity of my dwarves and the constant "Interupted by carp" messages are getting maddening. Can anyone think of a reason for this behavior that I might be missing? Do dining room meeting halls perhaps have a max capacity or something of that nature?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves drink water instead of plentiful booze. Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:40:59 pm »

well dig down to a cave and use the water there for water sorce through  water sorce

and do you have a well. dwarfs can live on pure liquid magic but i think they still want to use a well.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:42:47 pm »

You don't have enough booze.  199 booze is not a surplus.  19,000 booze might be a surplus.  You should aim to have at least ten times your dwarf population in booze at all times.

A single barrel might contain up to ten units of booze. Only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time, and they take a long time to do so.  Your 199 units of booze might be contained in only 20 barrels, and if more than 20 dwarves are thirsty at once, some of them will go drink water because all the barrels are occupied.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »

You don't have enough booze.  199 booze is not a surplus.  19,000 booze might be a surplus.  You should aim to have at least ten times your dwarf population in booze at all times.

A single barrel might contain up to ten units of booze. Only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time, and they take a long time to do so.  Your 199 units of booze might be contained in only 20 barrels, and if more than 20 dwarves are thirsty at once, some of them will go drink water because all the barrels are occupied.

that helpes me as well

but dude if OVER 9000!!! 10x pop is beyond you then just make some wellz

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:56 pm »

Its also important to point out you need more than 1 type of booze, otherwise the dwarves will stop drinking booze. (and in my case, All die because i had no access to water :D )

just make 2 kinds of booze and you'll be fine.

Elf_Basher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:23:00 pm »

Wells? Feh. Water is for elves!

Looks like you nailed it, Sphalerite. I'm impressed! Just counted and minus the barrels still in the brewery that I'm too lazy to check there are exactly twenty. It didn't occur to me that barrels could be occupied like that but it does make sense. Oh well... Moot point now! A minotaur is currently trashing my untrapped, squadless fortress. C'est la vie! Looks like I've got a lot of learning to do...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »

Its also important to point out you need more than 1 type of booze, otherwise the dwarves will stop drinking booze. (and in my case, All die because i had no access to water :D )

This is a persistent myth which has been conclusively disproven.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95405

Dwarves will never voluntarily stop drinking booze, even after drinking the same type for years straight.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:47:12 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:37 pm »

Wells? Feh. Water is for elves!

Looks like you nailed it, Sphalerite. I'm impressed! Just counted and minus the barrels still in the brewery that I'm too lazy to check there are exactly twenty. It didn't occur to me that barrels could be occupied like that but it does make sense. Oh well... Moot point now! A minotaur is currently trashing my untrapped, squadless fortress. C'est la vie! Looks like I've got a lot of learning to do...

you need it for a hospital. and trust me you may not care if some weaver gets wacked off but if a axe lord gets killed you might be pissed off

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:04:46 am »

I was going to ask OP if they were sure the dwarves had access to the booze. But yeah, lack of barrels/pots will do it. Set your carpenter to work on barrels, your stonecarver to work on pots, and your brewer to work on filling them!

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:09 am »

This is a persistent myth which has been conclusively disproven.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95405

Dwarves will never voluntarily stop drinking booze, even after drinking the same type for years straight.

ahh, i guess the mystery of why one of my previous forts failed due to dehydration (despite having like 1000 booze between 70 dwarves) will never be explained lol. Its good to know thats been disproved though, as in my current fortress i've had a setback in the setup in that its going SLOW and im only farming plump helmets in my temp farm.

So disregard my last post OP

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »

pots hold liquid adamantine. FUDGE THATS HELPFUL.

now i can lower my dependency on wood

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:16:33 am »

pots hold liquid adamantine. FUDGE THATS HELPFUL.

now i can lower my dependency on wood

Pots... liquid adamantine... fudge...

It scares me I know exactly what your saying.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 01:49:25 pm »

I once had a couple 1000 units of booze yet my dwarves would always drink water, turns out the 70% of my dwarves that were conscripted (any immigrant that is not immediately useful gets shoved in the army) had that booze in their waterskins

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:29:40 pm »

I once had a couple 1000 units of booze yet my dwarves would always drink water, turns out the 70% of my dwarves that were conscripted (any immigrant that is not immediately useful gets shoved in the army) had that booze in their waterskins
Just how many dwarves did you have in your military? Soldiers only put 3 units of alcohol in their flasks, so for even 1000 units to be used up that way would mean that you had nearly 500 dwarves, unless some of the dwarves you conscripted were also miners/hunters/wood cutters (resulting in hundreds of booze-filled flasks cluttering your stockpiles due to uniform conflicts).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 08:28:48 am »

I may have been exagerating a little.

But in a 200 dwarf fort ill typically have 150 of those in squads, they may not be on active service but they do wear their uniforms always