Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pyramid project  (Read 2188 times)

pyramid project
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:48 pm »

sup peoples;
i have decided to start on a minor mega-consturction. i props wont be able to compleate it due to frelling goblin ambushers (my last fort fell because 3 groups decided to ambush me simultainously), but i will perserver anyway. the plan is to have a largeish (13 z-levels high is the current plan) pyramid.

underwater.

now, i can probs asemble the pyramid fine (its just walls, stairs and maybe ramps depending on whether i want smooth sides or a ziggurat feel), but the underwater part is bugging me. now i think i can achive it by excavating a large pit, building the pyriamid in it, then flooding, prob froma diverted brook.

is this a sound plan? is there a better way of doing it?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: pyramid project
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:58:22 pm »

sup peoples;
i have decided to start on a minor mega-consturction. i props wont be able to compleate it due to frelling goblin ambushers (my last fort fell because 3 groups decided to ambush me simultainously), but i will perserver anyway. the plan is to have a largeish (13 z-levels high is the current plan) pyramid.

underwater.

now, i can probs asemble the pyramid fine (its just walls, stairs and maybe ramps depending on whether i want smooth sides or a ziggurat feel), but the underwater part is bugging me. now i think i can achive it by excavating a large pit, building the pyriamid in it, then flooding, prob froma diverted brook.

is this a sound plan? is there a better way of doing it?
I can't imagine any other way to do it. You might try digging out every level (not channeling) and then making a controlled cave-in of the top floor to knock the other ones out - that would prevent your miners from potential falls, and speed things up a bit. I lost four miners once trying to channel straight down.  ::)

As to everything else... It sounds awesome. XD Very dwarfy. I can think of one last thing I might suggest, but I hesitate to suggest it, and most likely someone else is going to suggest it anyway.  ;D

Also... Build a wall around it to keep invaders out while your masons/miners do their thing.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »

I can't imagine any other way to do it. You might try digging out every level (not channeling) and then making a controlled cave-in of the top floor to knock the other ones out - that would prevent your miners from potential falls, and speed things up a bit. I lost four miners once trying to channel straight down.  ::)
that was plan b (plan c being to build the pyramid, then collapse into an aquifer)

As to everything else... It sounds awesome. XD Very dwarfy. I can think of one last thing I might suggest, but I hesitate to suggest it, and most likely someone else is going to suggest it anyway.  ;D
let me guess, magma? i decided to use water as i can have a surface stream, where as with magma i either have to start on a volcanoe and level the entire map, or dig down to the magma sea and historicly pump stacks for me havent always woked out (why is my magma moat flooding my fort!!??)

Also... Build a wall around it to keep invaders out while your masons/miners do their thing.
i was thinking a trench with retractable bridge. if i make it 2 tiles wide, with ramps on the farside of the trench, then it should be impassible since creatures would just walk into the trench and back out on their side:

D-^C

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:20:35 pm »

that was plan b (plan c being to build the pyramid, then collapse into an aquifer)
If I remember right, dwarf-built walls collapse when falling. That would turn your pyramid into dust.

let me guess, magma? i decided to use water as i can have a surface stream, where as with magma i either have to start on a volcanoe and level the entire map, or dig down to the magma sea and historicly pump stacks for me havent always woked out (why is my magma moat flooding my fort!!??)
You hit the nail on the head. It's also exactly why I hesitated to suggest it - the difficulty and time involved.

i was thinking a trench with retractable bridge. if i make it 2 tiles wide, with ramps on the farside of the trench, then it should be impassible since creatures would just walk into the trench and back out on their side:

D-^C
My thoughts on that are: Arrows can fly over trenches, but not walls. Walls might take a bit longer, but they'll be a nice start for your league of newbie masons. Plus, they're a lot more impenetrable. But the drawbridge idea would keep the door safe for sure.

Sounds like you have everything under control. Kudos to you, and best of luck. :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 12:32:31 am »

If you tell your dwarves to only channel the pit one z-level at a time (i.e. channel all of the first layer, then when that is completely done channel all of the second layer, etc.) then you won't have any problem with collapsing floors or cave-ins unless you are digging the pit in an overhang or something weird like that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:38 am »

You could make it extremelyt easy by findintg a large area of natural stone and merely digging out a pyramid, or using obsidian for the most Dwarfy version, but yeah the best way would be strip mine a huge pit then start your pyramid from the bottom, you could save time by merely digging out the area needed to reach the surface leaving a pyramid of natural soil, build a shell over it then dig out your rooms as needed.....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 08:35:15 am »

run into a smallcollosal bit of a problem- managing my fort whilst my miners are occupied digging out the pit. now i was never very good at this before i started on this madcap scheme, but now with all my attention on the project i have had two dwarfs go bezerk because i have no workshops, and the rest are unhappy as i have no rooms for them. or stockpiles. or food/drink. now, once/IF i get at least 3 levels of the pyramid done i sholud be fine. but worst case i have to abbandon the fort and reclaim a pit in the ground.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:37:51 am »

I would've stabilized the state of the fortress first, honestly.  :P That's seriously hardcore stuff, though. Reminds me of the half-finished lizard monument in Boatmurdered.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 09:35:44 am »

THE ONE AND ONLY JOSEPH CANCLES JOB: BUILD PYRAMID. INTERUPTED BY DISSERTATION

yeah, sucks to be me.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 11:41:39 am »

THE ONE AND ONLY JOSEPH CANCLES JOB: BUILD PYRAMID. INTERUPTED BY DISSERTATION

yeah, sucks to be me.
Sounds familiar, where did hear that from?

Quote from: Some old guy with a beard(possibly a dwarf)=topic=000000.msg00000#msg00000 date=000000
THE ONE AND ONLY MOSES CANCLES JOB: BUILD PYRAMID. INTERUPTED BY DISSERTATION on stone tablets

yeah, sucks to be me. gotta go wander in desert for 40o years now, catch ya l8r
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:20 pm »

Hmmmm...  underwater pyramid...  *glances at DF save*  ...embarked onto a beach...really far north....ocean frozen except during summer...  ....... ...such a pyramid here would be frozen under tons of ice most of the year...  .......  :o ....... *DarthMetool has been taken by a fey mood!*
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com