Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656612 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-7
« Reply #1305 on: November 26, 2012, 09:58:21 pm »

Tracking people down can be somewhat time-critical, and I suspect that we should depart with Omo immediately. Afterwards there may well be an opportunity to pose as a student Who is fascinated by the wards' failure and wishes to know more about them...
I think this is the most reasonable approach. Either we search now or we don't search at all. Those children may be bleeding out, and if Omo finds one sightly too late, and there's a hint it might be because you asked him to wait, it could both effect your conscience and Omo's relationship with you negatively. Besides, the ward is currently worthless, and any information we get from him might just jumble our understanding. Not that we shouldn't come back later, maybe as heroes, and investigate.

+1

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:46 pm »

Tracking people down can be somewhat time-critical, and I suspect that we should depart with Omo immediately. Afterwards there may well be an opportunity to pose as a student Who is fascinated by the wards' failure and wishes to know more about them...
I think this is the most reasonable approach. Either we search now or we don't search at all. Those children may be bleeding out, and if Omo finds one sightly too late, and there's a hint it might be because you asked him to wait, it could both effect your conscience and Omo's relationship with you negatively. Besides, the ward is currently worthless, and any information we get from him might just jumble our understanding. Not that we shouldn't come back later, maybe as heroes, and investigate.

+1
This is true. I guess the plan is to take 5 minutes to try to discover where they were last seen and how long ago and forth searching them?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 26, 2012, 10:37:32 pm »

+1
This is true. I guess the plan is to take 5 minutes to try to discover where they were last seen and how long ago and forth searching them?
Yeah. I guess a few questions wouldn't hurt, if we go to him to gather clues anyway. But if there is a substantial wait, we should just gather what we can from the townspeople and leave the priest to his own device. It seems like there may be quite a line to talk with him.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1308 on: November 26, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »

+1
Yeah. I guess a few questions wouldn't hurt, if we go to him to gather clues anyway. But if there is a substantial wait, we should just gather what we can from the townspeople and leave the priest to his own device. It seems like there may be quite a line to talk with him.

+1

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-8
« Reply #1309 on: November 29, 2012, 02:09:10 pm »

+1

+1

"You want to help them find the survivors?"
Omo nods again, more firmly. He lazily twirls his staff before grounding it in the dirt. "A Ranger like me? I won't even be gone the whole night."
"Hm. Alright, then. But I'm going with you."
Omo gives you a surprised look. "Really? I figured you would want to stay here for the night to rest and eat. Since when can you track?"
You lower your voice. "It's not the kids I"ll be tracking. If there are undead out there, you'll need my talents." You raise your voice, giving Omo a joking grin. "Besides, I may not have paid attention to the history lessons, but I did pay attention to the adventure stories! Nothing good ever happens when the heroes split up."
"Ha! Alright then, let's ask Mr. Eko about the search."

Just as Omo speaks his name, the doors to the temple burst open as the aforementioned priest ushers a loudly protesting villager outside. Eko Cleanvise gives the man one last shove down the street, pointing toward the line of digging villagers- the villager hesitates a moment before sullenly walking away, muttering under his breath as he goes to join the workers. Eko sighs, shaking his head before turning to go back inside. Omo, seeing his opportunity, quickly strides up to the portly priest.

"Hello! Eko Cleanvise!"
Eko glowers as he turns to face you. "Listen, I don't know why the wards failed, but I'm doing my best to find out. Leave me be, I have an injured man to tend to!"
Omo holds up his hands. "No, no, I don't care about that. My name is Omo, and this is Nym."
You give Eko a small wave. "Actually, I would like to hear an answer about the wards, but my interest is purely academic."
Eko blinks, taking in your appearance. "Eh? I didn't expect to see strangers in the village- we don't get many travelers to begin with, and these are dark times to be on the open road. Well, if you need shelter for the night, you are more than welcome to stay in my temple. I can't promise terribly good accommodations, but blankets by the fire are still better than a cold shrub by the roadside."
"Actually, we heard about your troubles, and the missing children, and we'd like to volunteer for the search." Omo draws himself up proudly. "I'm an expert tracker, better than anyone for miles around!"
"I appreciate your offer, but the last I've heard you won't be able to track anything. The rain has obscured what few tracks remained, and by the time you got out to the farm the sun will have set." Eko sighs heavily. "We'll be happy to have your help tomorrow, but two small children, alone in the wilderness, surrounded by zombies, possibly injured... well, I don't have to tell you the odds are bad."
"How old are the children?" You ask gently.
"We aren't sure- the zombies didn't leave any bodies at the farmhouse except for poor Cikul, and the last I heard they'd only found sign of two children. Based on the footprints we found we think that the two youngest escaped- Nelti is a six year old girl, and Rismal is an eight year old boy."
Omo raises one finger, smiling broadly. "I wasn't kidding when I said I'm the best tracker around- I don't care about the rain, and I don't care about the dark! The trail will only get colder overnight."
Eko regards the ranger gravely. "And the zombies? I'm sure the searchers are abandoning the hunt as we speak- they aren't likely to succeed where they've failed all day, and there's no need to get even more people killed by the undead threat."
"We are aware of the danger, Mr. Eko, and we're willing to search anyway. Can you give us directions to the Scarletdaub farm?"
Eko sighs. "Well, don't say I didn't warn you. The Scarletdaub farm is easy to find- just follow the road East, out of the village. It's the last farm on the path, within sight of Aloclesno itself- Cikul was always a brave man, willing to farm and prosper where others feared to tread. The searchers said they found the footprints by the well. Just be careful out there, and don't do anything stupid- I'll have a spot by the fire waiting for you."

Making your farewells, you and Omo set out down the road to the Scarletdaub farm. Passing the line of villagers, you see that they aren't merely digging a ditch, they are also building an earthen wall to defend the village. You attract a few odd looks, but pass the workers unmolested.

The setting sun at your back casts long shadows before you as you continue down the road. Though there are plenty of farms nestled close to the village, they peter out after a mile or so- evidently, the land East of the village is not as highly prized as that to the West. A dark shadow growing on the horizon slowly resolves itself into a distant forest- Aloclesno, no doubt. Although the sun is only now dipping below the horizon, the moon is well on its way into the sky, shining down on the darkening landscape.

Twilight is giving way to full night by the time the shadowy hulk of a farmhouse looms out of the dark. The farmhouse itself sits fairly close to the road- to the right, the animal pens stand open and empty of livestock. Further back, you can see the tall wooden barn standing between the farmyard and the fields. The whole place is eerily quiet, with only the gentle breeze occasionally rustling the grass.

Omo points to the well, walking to where it is situated between the barn and the house. "Eko said they found the footprints there, so that's where we'll start."
"Do you want me to light a torch?"
Omo crouches down by the side of the well, inspecting the ground. "No, we need to preserve our night vision. Besides, I don't want to give away our position if there are any zombies out."
"Can zombies see torchlight?"
Omo gives you a startled glance. "I- what are you asking me for? You're the, uh, the one who should know."
You shrug. "I haven't raised anything bigger than a fish. Actually, I think they can see the torchlight, but I don't know if they're smart enough to know to attack it."
Omo grunts, slowly walking around the well. He stops, pointing at the ground. "Here. Two barefoot children were here, one bigger than the other." He touches the ground. "Still a little blood. These are the tracks."
You follow Omo as he slowly walks away from the well, following signs only he can see. "Is it their blood, do you think?"
"Impossible to tell. One of them was either bleeding or dripping blood, though." Omo scowls at the ground. "Stupid farmers, trampling my tracks." Omo's scowl deepened as he neared the edge of the farmyard. "They were being followed."
"Followed?"
Omo nods. "A few larger creatures were right behind them- that's why the tracks are so difficult to find. I'm guessing they were being chased by zombies."

Omo slowly follows the tracks away from the farmyard- rather than turning toward the cleared fields or the open road, the tracks go straight into the wilderness. Omo moves more quickly in the tall grass, pointing out broken shrubs and trampled weeds that clearly mark the passage of something large. Every now and then, Omo pauses to examine a small piece of cloth caught on a thorny bush, or a shallow, bare footprint softened by the day's drizzle- evidence that the missing children had indeed come this way.

Suddenly, you sense something. You reach out and grab Omo's arm. "Get down!" you hiss.
Omo immediately crouches down below the grass, quickly looking around. "What is it?" he whispers.
"Undead." You point ahead, somewhat away from the bearing of the path. "Two of them. No, three, maybe eighty feet ahead. Four vitality each."
Omo squints ahead. "That's nearly in the forest."
"That's where the trail is leading, too. Do you think the kids would run into the haunted forest?"
"If they thought the zombies wouldn't follow. Or maybe they just thought it would be easier to hide in the trees than out here in the grass."

Now that you know where to look, you can see faint pinpoints of purple light flashing in the distance. They appear stand just short of the treeline- there is an unusually clear edge to the forest, with open plain giving way to ancient, dense forest in the space of a half dozen yards. The surrounding plain is the same thigh-high grass interspersed with taller shrubs that you've been traveling through all day.

Omo wipes his hands on his pants before hefting his quarterstaff. "The Rangers say that most zombies are slow and flimsy. Easy to defeat if you don't get spooked. We need to get by them to follow the trail- should we fight, or do you have a better idea?"

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 29, 2012, 02:17:56 pm »

Assuming no one is near (which considering there are undeads close and it is in the middle of the night, yeah, it should be safe) this looks a good opportunity to test the command undead spell. We can only cast at one at time right? Use it against one, set it to attack the other zombies and then have Omo join.

Also good to see if have any outright destroy/disrupt undead spell. If nothing else works, Steal Vitality should work reasonably well.

Alternatively we could try to bypass them, but that could take some time and leave the trail.

A sidenote for the future: We really need to get a weapon for ourselves. A good quarterstaff or some polearm should be nice (I favor the billhook, specially against undeads. Once you drag them down it should be easy to finish them off)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 29, 2012, 02:34:42 pm »

Tell Omo that we want to try using a spell first, but on the off chance it doesn't work we would like to borrow his hatchet instead of fighting with our knife.

No opinion as to whether we want to use Command Undead or Steal Vitality on the zombies. Steal Vitality would kill all the undead for 9 mana pretty reliably. Command Undead would be slower, may not work, but would cost only 6 and would convert the undead. It's a wash there, really.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: November 29, 2012, 02:48:43 pm »

I'm gonna chime in that we should try to use our magic to find out who, if anyone, controls these undead. It's probably Nightroar, so it's an academic pursuit. But I want to see if we can.

And after that, no matter the result, try and command the undead if we have the mana, as many as possible for the next part:

I want to try and "resurrect" one of the undead, bring them back to life. Like, their old selves. If we succeed, do the same for the other zombies if we get more than one. But only after the combat has settled, and no hostile zombies are still fluttering about.

If we're to help clean Necromancies in the eyes of the world, and bring the elven homeland back to it's former glory, we should probably start here, no? If we can bring them back to their old selves, we can show Necromancy is not just a destructive magic. And we'll know we can "cure" at least people of undeath, possibly the land too. And Omo, if he had any doubts about us before... Well, I'm sure it can't hurt.

Unless we bring them back as some sort of abomination, weakly crying "Kill... meeee..."

That might... hurt us, a little, in his eyes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:01:12 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 29, 2012, 02:54:35 pm »

Let's stick to trying that with a bug or something later on under more controlled conditions. Not on some hostile zombies in a combat situation.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 29, 2012, 02:58:22 pm »

Who said in a combat situation?

No, we only try and "cure" them AFTER it's all settled down, and only IF one or more of them are under our complete control, and no hostile zombies remain.

Wasn't that clear?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 29, 2012, 02:59:57 pm »

It was not.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 29, 2012, 03:00:29 pm »

Well, damn.

Is it now?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 29, 2012, 05:12:49 pm »

This is the first time we will have encountered undead made by anyone other than us. This is a good opportunity for experimentation.

I am, however, slightly concerned about the possibility that the necromancer who made them might notice if another necromancer takes control of his creations. Similarly, if we try to magically "look" nd confirm that it's Nightroar who made them, he might "see" us at the same time.

That would be bad.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 29, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »

I say try steal vitality on one and command on another and Omo on the third. One shouldn't be an issue but three could be enough to distract him. And if the creator on an undead can detect tampering, then best to do it just before entering a forest that they seem to be avoiding...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 29, 2012, 05:41:01 pm »

maybe the kids are in a tree right on the edge
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 155