Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 662777 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-13
« Reply #1470 on: December 29, 2012, 02:39:28 am »

No, I mean protagonists, they may have their own journeys to undertake. In a narrative-based temporal mechanic, time only happens if the protagonist is involved, so there is a decent chance that we could get away with goofing-off for a few months provided that we didn't comment on how peaceful things were or how happy we were in our quaint little village... But for all we know there could be a strict time-line that is already plotted out that could do bad things to us...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: December 30, 2012, 01:15:31 am »

I say that we refrain from telling Eko that we are a necromancer, but we spend a few days learning some general magic or very discreetly performing some experiments. Oh, and probably examine some of the wards to see if we can figure out how they work.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: December 30, 2012, 02:25:19 am »

Do not tell the priest we are a necromancer. Very bad idea.

Agreed. Don't tell him.

Not only would it be dangerous, there's no real benefit to us even if he's ok with it. If we just want to investigate under the temple we can easily justify that without risking having him tell the entire village and the local military patrols that the probably only two elves travelling together in this part of the world are necromancers.

If we really want to tell him about the necromantci source beneath his temple, say something like "Excuse me Me Priest. Last night we were examining the wards to try to determine why the undeda were able to penetrate them, and during our efforts we happened to notice something peculiar beneath the temple. But we're not completely certain what it is. Do you have any ideas?"

Problem solved.

As has been discussed a couple times, if anybody thinks it suspicious that we can or can't do any particular thing, all we have to do is shrug and say "elf magic."

we should take this opportunity to learn what we can about souls

I proposed some experiements but there was a philosophical outcry that such magic might be a bad idea.

We have important things to do

Yes. Sidequests are fine, but let's remember there's a main quest too.

we should take this opportunity to learn what we can about souls
there is a decent chance that we could get away with goofing-off
spend a few days learning some general magic or very discreetly performing some experiments

Actually, I'm inclined to agree, and that's my vote.

Stay in the village a couple days and knock out a bunch of the pending experiments we've had on the to do list for the past 6+ months of real-life time.

Among those, also do the soul experiments and try to help the children. But if we can't, then don't waste the next week stressing over it. We have a world to save and a couple presumably high level necromancers out there that we're going to have to face someday.

I propose we grind some levels and answer all those unanswered questions we've had for basically ever.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: December 30, 2012, 11:36:53 am »

Stay in the village a couple days and knock out a bunch of the pending experiments we've had on the to do list for the past 6+ months of real-life time.
Actually this sounds fine, we seem to be safe enough here and the major players on the world stage are taking their sweet time doing anything, so a few days to recollect ourselves, cut down the list of experiments, and see about gaining any additional aid or giving any additional aid would be nice.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: December 31, 2012, 02:11:46 pm »

Actually this sounds fine, we seem to be safe enough here and the major players on the world stage are taking their sweet time doing anything, so a few days to recollect ourselves, cut down the list of experiments, and see about gaining any additional aid or giving any additional aid would be nice.
+1 to this
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1475 on: December 31, 2012, 03:31:24 pm »

Well, first we should try and figure out what that thing in the basement of the temple is, and see if we can help the kids. Maybe go and tackle the thing in the forest if we feel up to it. Although we can probably find some time for experimentation somewhere along the way.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »

I just finished catching up to the end of the story thus far, fantastic writing!

Regarding the Necromantic presence in the basement, the priest seems legitimately good - though it's possible that the wards have been failing because he sabotaged them out of some deal with Nightroar.

More likely though, the presence is an artifact he's been keeping sealed away. To find out for sure, we could animate a pidgeon or some other small bird, and send it below to scout for it. If it's discovered, it'll probably just be written off as a spy of Nightroar.

On the subject of experiments, other Necromancers are apparently able to send minions far afield without them being nearby - we should practice long-range control. Additionally we could experiment with spells that sense or affect the soul. Oh, and did that experiment to try to make a healing potion by doing the mana potion creation process but infusing with vitality instead of mana ever happen?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:16:44 am by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1477 on: January 03, 2013, 05:35:48 am »

On the subject of experiments, other Necromancers are apparently able to send minions far afield without them being nearby - we should practice long-range control.
I don't believe it's long range control. They were more likely ordered something along the lines of: "Keep going forward and kill everyone you meet." If it was long range control we probably wouldn't be able to command the undead at the farm ourselves and the undead would have reacted more intelligently.
Although that doesn't mean we shouldn't test the limits of our necromantic control. For example take a dead pigeon or some other flying animal and command-undead it and start flying away. How far away can the animal go before we lose control of it?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1478 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »

That seems a little risky- some other necromancer might catch the pigeon and either use it as a magical link to us, or use it to physically trace us down.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 03, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »

That seems a little risky- some other necromancer might catch the pigeon and either use it as a magical link to us, or use it to physically trace us down.

Everything we do is risky, from swimming across a river being chased by rangers, to tracking down the kids. Anything can go wrong.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1480 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:03 pm »

Yes, but that's a little too risky. We should try the same experiment, but with a way to recover the zombie.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 03, 2013, 04:34:08 pm »

Tell it to come back after half an hour. If we can control it throughout, then an hour. Then 2 hours. Etc, etc.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 03, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »

Tell it to come back after half an hour. If we can control it throughout, then an hour. Then 2 hours. Etc, etc.
+1
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 03, 2013, 07:25:24 pm »

We may want to test undeads' ability to figure out time and distance before we start an experiment that requires it to judge time or distance.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 03, 2013, 07:29:56 pm »

Well okay. Tell a pigeon to circle around for 5 minutes then fly down onto the ground.

Then time how long a pigeon takes to travel a kilometer/how far a pigeon can get in 5 minutes. Then do the math after the "Fly for x amount of minutes and return" experiment.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 155