Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 663534 times)

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-17
« Reply #1620 on: May 09, 2013, 08:51:56 pm »

Can we use Necromantic sight through the borrowed eyes of a commanded undead?

If we do attack I am in favor of luring this thing to the edge of the megaward(it noticed us pretty quick last time, shouldn't be that hard), examining it with our sight and see vitality(1 mp) and trying to command it(2 mp). Enemy or not, it's still a construct of the golden age of necromancy, or possibly a soul. Such nicely parceled knowledge is not to be scoffed at, though the children should still come first if there is a choice.

If that fails, or it gets too close, impair its "legs"(2 mp). That might immobilize it for later study. If THAT fails, drain it with our remaining power(2 mp, four 4 vit drained, instakill). If it's still there, get behind the ward.
this all costs 7 total mp, so we could do it right now.
In the end, my final vote is to fight it.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1621 on: May 09, 2013, 08:53:56 pm »

We should also see if Eko can ward a person, such that they can move. If so, that would be perfect. Although on second thought, it would have to be a one way ward, and he probably would be suspicious if we asked him to do that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:56:26 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 09, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »

However it has only three vitality. We can kill it with two MP if we have to long before it gets dangerously close. And I'm not just saying "wander aimlessly in the forest". I have given a very specific course of action in one of my previous posts. In short it says carefully capture and study the creature and the area we found the children, or failing that kill it.
It is a very dense forest. We are not not even likely to get a shot at it before it is trying to eat our face. Your "course of action" is nearly impossible, very probably useless, and most likely suicidal.

Apparently I do not believe that things are so bad we should give up yet.
Evidently you are delusional, and thinks we are a story book hero who can bring forth victory through pure heart and good intentions. :P

What choice do we have now? Where do we go from here if not through the forest? And we need no meatshield. Why would we? Physical shields are of no use against what lies there. Our powers are enough to handle this. You can't expect everything to be easy and risk free. Sometimes you have to take reasonable calculated risks.
The point of the meatshield is not kill the beast for us. It is to die and buy us time to kill the beast. Because we have absolutely no skill in fighting and are going to die if it jumps us or get too close for casting. Physical barriers and shields are good to buy us time to try to cast a spell at whatever it is. And hope it actually works and it is not protected against it. Our powers are only enough if, not only it works, but we manage to cast before we are eaten and taken away.

And sure, sometimes we have to take reasonable and calculated risks. Sure, I don't expect everything to be easy and risk free. But I do like to avoid insane risks for very questionable gains.

And again, we barely know anything about the forest. For all we know there could be a small army of those things there and we were just lucky last time to only find one.

And besides, we are voting for what to do this afternoon since Omo and the priest have't returned. You want us to leave and go to the forest without now, without even finding them and telling you are going to try something?

Let's study the wards in the books. If we learn them well enough, maybe we can try to do something against the beast(s) in the forest. Methodically. And carefully. And using bait (live chicken, rats, or rabbits might be good for that). Trying to check its limitations before actually going after it.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1623 on: May 09, 2013, 09:13:28 pm »

I agree o not going now, but I don't think we should try and learn the wards. Those are Order magic, they won't work for us. We should study them enough to find a way to practice some necromancy without notifying Eko, and then experiment with golems.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:15:25 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 09, 2013, 09:17:06 pm »

I agree o not going now, but I don't think we should try and learn the wards. Those are Order magic, they won't work for us. We should study them enough to find a way to practice some necromancy without notifying Eko, and then experiment with golems.
We might not be able to quite do the same wards, but we might be able to create a necromantic version of it, if not now, maybe later. Either way, we should study them, both results are good for us.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:07 pm »

As far as I can tell, the problem with golems is that they were unable to move well, if at all. That means we need to have them be able to move somehow, which can be quite complicated... How exactly are we going to build this golem?

If we do make a golem, or a bunch of golems, I suggest we keep them small and made of stuff like wood and wires. We could disguise them as toys when we aren't using them that way. Also, I think that having our 'scouting' golems be small and capable of flight would be idea, something like a miniature helicopter with a claw to hold things like a key for example. Could be very useful I think.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:39 pm »

As far as I can tell, the problem with golems is that they were unable to move well, if at all. That means we need to have them be able to move somehow, which can be quite complicated... How exactly are we going to build this golem?

If we do make a golem, or a bunch of golems, I suggest we keep them small and made of stuff like wood and wires. We could disguise them as toys when we aren't using them that way. Also, I think that having our 'scouting' golems be small and capable of flight would be idea, something like a miniature helicopter with a claw to hold things like a key for example. Could be very useful I think.
Indeed, but not for the time frame for the vote we are having right now. We are voting about what to do with one afternoon basically.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1627 on: May 09, 2013, 10:09:00 pm »

Yeah, study up on wards, see if we can create a necromantic version of it. Also see if we can find a way to avoid Eko's wards.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:47 pm »

I would like to spend much of our day's mana trying to bolster the children's vitality pulses. Basically C.P.R. for the soul... We should also have their senses covered and a sedative prepared so that the children have no idea who did it if it works and they wake up suddenly. Or we can play the life mage card, which could go badly if folk start looking for life mages to fix it, but would be less likely to fall apart due to us being an obvious recent influence on the children.
 The entity left the children with at least 2 vitality, so a lure probably needs more than that. The density of the forest is largely irrelevant, we can necromantically sense the entity at a distance. We can leave a note at the scene indicating that the forest was made safe by a good necromancer. It would give us good P.R. concerning the possibility that we are not just pure evil with minimal risk of discovery. We should have plenty of warning if we stay near the wards, so we could stay there for an hour or two and see if the critter shows up...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 10, 2013, 12:00:49 am »

I would like to spend much of our day's mana trying to bolster the children's vitality pulses. Basically C.P.R. for the soul... We should also have their senses covered and a sedative prepared so that the children have no idea who did it if it works and they wake up suddenly. Or we can play the life mage card, which could go badly if folk start looking for life mages to fix it, but would be less likely to fall apart due to us being an obvious recent influence on the children.
 The entity left the children with at least 2 vitality, so a lure probably needs more than that. The density of the forest is largely irrelevant, we can necromantically sense the entity at a distance. We can leave a note at the scene indicating that the forest was made safe by a good necromancer. It would give us good P.R. concerning the possibility that we are not just pure evil with minimal risk of discovery. We should have plenty of warning if we stay near the wards, so we could stay there for an hour or two and see if the critter shows up...
Who we are going to drain to try to give them essence? Or are we going to try a completely new experimental action on them and risk screwing it up?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 10, 2013, 12:10:15 am »

Well it is going to be completely experimental regardless, but if we can safely channel two vitality into them from our own reserves then that should be enough for the experiment. But as a precision procedure it would help if we had a donor. Maybe we can store vitality in a crystal and then extract it later using necromancy without the thing being depleted. We could try asking Omo, but be honest that it is a pretty experimental procedure and probably wouldn't work. Trees probably have enough vitality to try to jump-start a human child without permanent damage...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:54 am »

Well it is going to be completely experimental regardless, but if we can safely channel two vitality into them from our own reserves then that should be enough for the experiment. But as a precision procedure it would help if we had a donor. Maybe we can store vitality in a crystal and then extract it later using necromancy without the thing being depleted. We could try asking Omo, but be honest that it is a pretty experimental procedure and probably wouldn't work. Trees probably have enough vitality to try to jump-start a human child without permanent damage...
It goes, if I remember correctly, at a rate of 3 to 1. To give them 2 vitality it is going to cost us 6, which is a rather big amount. Same thing for any volunteer we get. It is a possibility, but we've already kind tried something quite similar to no result.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 10, 2013, 12:22:44 am »

That was just dumping the vitality into them to keep them alive. My proposal is more about trying to replicate their normal processes. Even if it doesn't work, it should give us an insight into their condition.
Read the First Post!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 10, 2013, 12:30:50 am »

That was just dumping the vitality into them to keep them alive. My proposal is more about trying to replicate their normal processes. Even if it doesn't work, it should give us an insight into their condition.

Ah, I see. It is an interesting experiment. I'd like to try it on a rabbit, fish or something before going for the kids though. And it might not be a good idea to do so under the noses of our current host.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:54 am »

Yes, and sneaking off with one of the children to experiment on them wouldn't necessarily be easy.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 155