Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 663727 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-20
« Reply #1725 on: July 13, 2013, 05:38:08 am »

Much as we did with the zombie in the cellar.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 13, 2013, 05:47:23 am »

Seriously, just go into the forest and have a look. It will be fine and we might learn something really valuable.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: August 13, 2013, 04:50:13 am »

Cellmonk gestures!

Topic shudders and begins to move!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-21
« Reply #1728 on: August 13, 2013, 06:18:26 pm »

I think that a foray into the edge of the forest has almost no risk, we can sense the thing coming after all. And there is no guarantee that the children are a loss. I support going into the edge of the forest, past the barrier, and waiting for a few hours or until something arrives, practising our escape route several times, and using control undead if they thing turns up...

Hmm.  I'm fine with this, as long as we stay very close to the border.  As in, just a few steps and we're out.  And have see vitality active at all times.

As to the sense/see tonight, There's no point to casting see.  We'll only get EP from examining Omo, and we can do that tomorrow when we cast it anyways.
Agreed. Also, Omo should wait just outside the edge, if we take him at all.

You think for a long moment, weighing the risks and rewards of your plan for tomorrow. After much inner debate, you nod decisively. "In the morning, we'll go back to the forest. I think there's a creature there, and I think we are uniquely suited to destroy it."
   Omo nods sleepily, standing up from the table. Eko's eyes positively bulge out. "You're going to do what?"
   Omo shrugs. "We'll destroy that whatever-it-is for you. Shouldn't be a big deal."
   "Shouldn't... shouldn't be a big deal?" Eko splutters. "It's an ancient soul-destroying monstrosity! Nobody is sure it's even a physical creature, and you think you can kill it?"
   "Has anyone ever tried before?" You ask, curious.
   Eko puts a hand to his face, drawing a deep breath. "Several times, yes. Mostly villagers who couldn't accept the fate of their loved ones, and one priest who didn't find anything. That priest did well for himself, too, since most of the other fools who tried wound up dead!"
   "A priest tried? What happened?" You ask, perking up. "Why didn't you mention this earlier? An eyewitness account would be very useful."
   "He never saw any monster, though he did make it further into the forest than anyone since the Golgothan War." Eko says slowly, looking from you to Omo and back again. "You're serious, aren't you. You're going to try and kill the Curse of Aloclesno. Why? There's nothing to be done for the children; they're as good as dead. There's nothing for you to gain by doing this. The curse only afflicts those who step within Aloclesno. Why risk your lives?"
   Omo frowns. "So we should do what, ignore it? Let some other fool kid walk in and die in a hundred years or so? Maybe that's a long time for you, but I intend to still be alive when that happens, and for the century after that, and the century after that. That's a lot of dead children in my lifetime that I could have saved."
   "We'll be careful." You say simply. "We'll do things methodically, and if all goes well we'll have it taken care of before anything untoward happens. Of course, things are more likely to go well if we prepare carefully. Can you tell us what that adventurous priest did that kept him alive in the heart of Aloclesno?"
   Eko gazes at you silently for a long moment, running a hand through his thin hair. "I... have a book on the subject. A Study of Aloclesno. Most of what I know comes from that book; I'll mark the relevant passage for you in the morning."
   "You mean I can take it with me?" You ask, surprised.
   Eko nods, standing up. "Good night. I'll see you tomorrow."

You sleep quite soundly, and wake shortly after dawn feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Surprisingly, you find that Omo woke up before you; he's taken the bandage off of his arm, and smiles in satisfaction at how well the wound healed. It seems you are both fully recovered from your scuffle outside Aloclesno.

You step into Eko's living room for some breakfast, and stop, surprised. Eko is also awake, and dressed for traveling with a simple brown wool cloak and a backpack. In his left hand he holds a book, and in his right hand he holds a short spear with red and green tassels; you recognize it as the one you saw hanging in the basement.

Eko smiles happily. "Good morning! I've prepared some trail rations; I thought we should eat breakfast on the road in order to maximize daylight. I don't fancy fighting a soul-sucking monstrosity in the dark."
   "We?" You ask cautiously. "We didn't ask you to come yourself. You have an important job to do for Bedscaled, maintaining the wards."
   Eko scratches his head, suddenly seeming uncertain. "Well... the wards should be fine for days without my supervision. Weeks, even. Bale is in charge of hunting the zombies that attacked the other night, and he was quite clear he neither needed nor wanted my help finding them. He's also taken on organizing the defense of the village, so they don't need me for that. So, I could spend my time on administrative work preparing for a festival we may never have... or I could go to the forest with you."
   "You seemed to think we were suicidal to even try." Omo says bluntly. "Now you want to join us?"
   Eko sighs. "Nym... you asked whether I was tempted to knighthood last night. Well, maybe the life of a knight is beyond me, but I do think I made a mistake somewhere along the line, or my life wouldn't have lead me here. Maybe it's not too late to make the right choice."

You brush your hair back, thinking furiously. True, a trained Order Wizard might be able to help you in the forest, but your plan for dealing with the creature in the forest is largely based on your ability to control or destroy it with Necromancy. Should you refuse Eko? If so, what excuse can you give that will keep him from just following you?

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:21:37 pm by monk12 »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-21 (Updated 13th August)
« Reply #1729 on: August 13, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »

Yeah, I think we want him with us. See if he can put mobile wards around us, so we'll know if the thing tries to sneak up on us.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1730 on: August 13, 2013, 06:38:24 pm »

Yay! Update!

Yay! Thanks to our foolishness bravery, we got a good old priest of exposition Order! We're slowly gathering our band of heroes! Now we need Life, Chaos, Earth, Wind, Water and Fire... And maybe an archer/rogue.

No to the mobile wards. Those things block our necrosight, remember? Better have him cast divinations and give advice. And the thing in the forest has vitality. Elves can sense vitality. We can just say we sensed it that way.

About necromancy.... It's hard to be mad at someone for being a necromancer when he has just saved your life from a monster by using necromancy.

Or if you're dead. But hopefully it won't come to that. He seems like a nice guy. I don't like killing nice guys.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:01:46 pm by Parisbre56 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 13, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

Well, I am all for taking Eko, but make sure that we have our supplies, we should be ready to set up a camp outside the forest, make it clear to Eko that we may spend days studying the forest. If Eko backs out at the prospect of days, then it is one less thing to worry about, and if Eko follows, and finds out about us, then we can continue our journey without needing to return to the village.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: August 13, 2013, 10:01:56 pm »

Well, I am all for taking Eko, but make sure that we have our supplies, we should be ready to set up a camp outside the forest, make it clear to Eko that we may spend days studying the forest. If Eko backs out at the prospect of days, then it is one less thing to worry about, and if Eko follows, and finds out about us, then we can continue our journey without needing to return to the village.

That's a good idea. We can test the water that way. He may be interested in becoming part of our band, in which case he would be an invaluable asset. I have a feeling if we gave it time, and showed him our intentions by killing the forest demon, he may well accept our necromancy as legitimate.
He seems a scientist, so the prospect of all the tests we could do together might override any fear that we are intent on growing an undead empire.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:58 am »

"Ehhh, I'll be using secret elven magic that I can't allow you to see." :P

But yeah, given our plans to use necromancy, we probably should bullshit some reason for him not to come. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: August 14, 2013, 01:26:51 am »

I think that, ordinarily, Eko would be amenable to accepting us, and am willing to entertain the notion of permitting him to learn of our nature, but in the current circumstances, between the war, their own religious views, growing up with the threat of the forest and stories of the old wars, that there is far mor to Eko than just an inquisitive and studious nature and that it is likely that the best that we could hope for is a truce to allow them to study us further. And that they might conclude us to be an agent of the enemy and react with immediate violence...
Read the First Post!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: August 14, 2013, 01:44:35 am »

Have we tested the water as far as eko's attitude toward necromancy? Like his ideas around why all recorded necromancers were hyperhitlers? He may not possess an innate animosity toward necromancy, and he may be flexible. He doesn't seem to be extraordinarily zealous about the imperial order religion.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 14, 2013, 01:41:01 pm »

I think we should take Eko with us, certainly.  He's a valuable ally, both in power and knowledge.

While on the road, ask Eko if there's ever been groups of people attacked/killed by the monster.  How safe are we together?

Have we told Eko we're a necromancer yet?  I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  If we have, then we should discuss our various planned experiments with him.  Also, if we're setting up a camp, we should start working through those experiments.

If we haven't told him... well, don't do anything necro-y.

I doubt Eko will become a permanent teammate.  After all, this is the empire of order- everyone has their place.  Worse, he's an outright priest of order.  Even if he's an unorthodox one, he probably doesn't want to permanently leave his post.  Plus, he might get punished for going AWOL or something, depending on how much Thrimesdur micro-manages it's people.

If he were a dwarf in one of my forts, he'd get punished for something like that.  And by punished I mean chained in a lavish room fit for a king, with only the very best food and booze.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:14 pm »

I think we should take Eko with us, certainly.  He's a valuable ally, both in power and knowledge.
In terms of his ability to fight this monster, he's completely useless.

While on the road, ask Eko if there's ever been groups of people attacked/killed by the monster.  How safe are we together?
You mean, groups like the army it was created/summoned to destroy?

Have we told Eko we're a necromancer yet?  I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  If we have, then we should discuss our various planned experiments with him.  Also, if we're setting up a camp, we should start working through those experiments.

If we haven't told him... well, don't do anything necro-y.
No, no we have not. Which is why I suggest telling him that since Order magic apparently does nothing to the creature and he is likely far less capable in forests than either Omo or us, he should stay behind.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1738 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:56 pm »

Wait until we're right outside the forest to tell him, if we tell him at all.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: August 14, 2013, 02:42:44 pm »

We know a secret of his, we should share with him a secret of ours. We should bring him with us, that our actions involve a new secret we share together. Such activities bind people together more strongly than almost anything else.

The secret we reveal will not be the truth. But I think I have the person thing to say.

Say Eko can come with, but caution him that if he does so, he will become party to Elven secrets that may never be shared with anyone. Much as the dogmatic forces of Order have opposed his activities, activities which could have done real good, they would oppose what the elves have done. If he comes with you, he will learn much about dealing with the undead, perhaps things that will be useful to him, but he will be sworn to secrecy.

I get the feelings the promises of a priest of Order might be pretty strong. When we have moved away from the town and set up camp at the edge of the forest, we tell him a story...

Ask him what he thinks of historical Necromancers. Does he think all Necromancers have always been evil? The histories don't seem to agree with that. And there's an event that happened in the Elven lands that indicates otherwise, but also provides valuable information on the current threat - it would not be accepted by the outside world, but you will share this secret with him knowing he will keep it safe, this story.

The elves are not strangers to the recent spate of Necromancers. In fact, once, long ago, there was a Necromancer that arose even among the elves. This is a story about that elf. None outside the Elven lands have heard of this, and even many within are none the wiser, but despite feeling the call of Necromancy this elf was no madman intent on power - he did not raise an army, and did not conquer. Instead, he slowly revealed himself to those he could trust. They worked together to understand his powers, and not just to understand them, but to counter them - he was willing to provide the opportunity to uncover knowledge that could be used in just the kind of situation that is happening now. It worked. With access to a Necromancer, they were unable to uncover effective techniques in fighting them. The Elves possess knowledge of techniques that are effective in fighting the effects of Necromancy, techniques likely unknown to the rest of the world - and though the Elven Necromancer himself no longer lives, a side effect of his strong morals, draining his own life force to fuel his spells (and a story for another time) his teachings live on.

See how he responds. If it's anything but aghast, if he's actually open to this - note that it progresses steadily. Stop, reassure him, insure he's ready to learn more before telling him anything that implicates you directly...

You are a disciple of these teachings. You have learned spells tailored to overcoming necromancy, and it's likely the Order wouldn't approve of them. You have left the world to test these abilities against the threat Cumo poses, to insure their effectiveness, and (if possible) to undo what damage he's caused to the extent that you can. You believe they may be of use to the creature in the forest - that you can use them to do good, here and now, and save lives - but traveling with you into the woods will make him a party to this endeavor. He can leave now, and you will do what you can and then depart - you trust he will keep your secret. Or he can aid you, and learn more about these tools that might prove the key to bringing down Nightroar.

This order of events is specifically tailored to ease Eko into the idea of working with us, and to convince him that what we are doing is right but needs to be kept secret. It's also a way to test his opinion on things, without being outright dishonest with him and hiding things from him. What he thinks of this "historical" elven Necromancer will be important to how we proceed.

If possible, discuss the story you'll tell with Omo first, he does seem to like storytelling and might have good suggestions to add flaire, and having him be able to support you in some way and keeping your story straight would make it more convincing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:49:01 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 155